What is your age and asset allocation ?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
MichRoots

Re: What is your age and asset allocation ?

Post by MichRoots »

MichRoots wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:09 pm I am 49 and hold 86% equities.
The day before the CPI release (Feb. 13), I changed to 75% equities. I have been watching the cleveland fed inflation nowcast which has been running over 6% yearly for January and February. That made me a little nervous about so much exposure to sp500.

I do believe when we get the March cpi in mid April that the yearly CPI will be closer to 5%. Maybe by July the yearly CPI is closer to 4%. But the fed wants 2% so I believe rates will stay higher for longer. Thus ibonds likely still a possibility.
Rotarman

Post by Rotarman »

Age 30
Equities - 85%
Cash - 15% mostly as dry powder in case of a good SFH rental investment
Stribby

Post by Stribby »

72, retired 3 yrs.

Equities 45% (80/20 US/Intl)
Bonds 47% (20% Infl protected, 13% Treasuries, 5% munis, 9% nominal)
Cash 7%
muitu

Post by muitu »

Age 25

Equities: 100% (85/15 US/INTL)
"Wealth consists not in having great possessions, but in having few wants." - Epictetus
tasteo

Post by tasteo »

I’ll be turning 54 later this year. My (self and wife combined) overall current allocation (split amongst rollover IRA, two Roths, a 401k, a 403b, and taxable brokerage accounts) is 41% US stocks, 15% International stocks, 25% US bonds, 3% Int. bonds, 7% REIT funds, 5% gold ETF (IAUM) and 3% cash (including currently a rolling 4-week t-bill ladder along with HYSA). Not included above (above is summary from Personal Capital app) is about $50,000 in I-bonds. Percentages only add up to 99% due to rounding. I consider the above a “moderate” risk portfolio. With reasonable prospect for growth but lower standard deviation than simple equity/bond split.
RetiredAt49

Post by RetiredAt49 »

AA: 100% Equities (excluding some rental properties)
Garco

Post by Garco »

In my main retirement account: 65% equities. Remainder in FI (bond funds) and near-cash (MMF).

I have other investments in stock market and IRA as well as real estate (own 2 homes).

Overall market-related investments >$3.5 MM.

No debt. Kids (now in their 40's) doing well financially and in their careers.

Great health plans from former employer and Medicare.
mtwistercapitalist

Post by mtwistercapitalist »

Age 25 after July ends. I'm 80-20 stocks-bonds in my registered retirement accounts and am targeting contributions to taxable to have it be in the 70-30 split
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

Almost age 65, I have about 59% of my financial assets in stocks and the remainder in bonds and cash. The retirement accounts are 66% stocks and 34% bonds and cash. For Nedsaid, that is as wild as it gets.
A fool and his money are good for business.
BarbBrooklyn

Post by BarbBrooklyn »

I may have answered this already, but I'm about to be 71 and am currently 59/41.

The 41% is in a fixed 7% return fund (NYC Teacher Retirement System).

And yes, I know how lucky I am.
BarbBrooklyn | "The enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."
JakeyLee
Location: From sea to shining sea. But mostly the south west.

Post by JakeyLee »

nedsaid wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 8:19 pm Almost age 65, I have about 59% of my financial assets in stocks and the remainder in bonds and cash. The retirement accounts are 66% stocks and 34% bonds and cash. For Nedsaid, that is as wild as it gets.
Nedsaid,
I’m creeping up on my mid fifties.. and dang it, you’re my hero. I would have laughed like a crazy man 10 years ago if someone told me I’d be accumulating bonds, bond funds, t-bills, etc., in my later years. Thanks for all your posts. I’m not a smart man. But I’m retired and financially independent. And have NO problem rebalancing into safer pastures. “Pasture”? Yeah, like an old horse enjoying the land. Yup, that’s me. Anyway. :beer
“On balance, the financial system subtracts value from society” | -John Bogle
doobiedoo

Post by doobiedoo »

Age 69, retired 12 years.

Code: Select all

Stocks 87%
RE     11%
Cash    2%
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Update
70's couple retired
no pension no annuities etc
R/E +50X
6/57/37

"bogle 2 fund" = simplicity.
j🌺
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Age 78
Retired
No pension or annuity
My asset allocation is 60/40.
One-fund portfolio
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
TnGuy

Post by TnGuy »

Age = 65

AA = 100% equities

David
"Money will not make you happy. And happy will not make you money." - Groucho Marx
minesweep
Location: 27,000 light years from the Galactic Center of the Milky Way Galaxy (the suburbs)

Post by minesweep »

Stocks - 73%
Bonds & cash - 27%

Age 79. Retired 23 years. Pension (no COLA).

Taxable - 86% (dividends & C/G distributions go to TE bonds and gifts to heirs)
TIRA - 11% (100% bonds)
Roth IRA - 3% (small-cap value)

Since mid-1980's I've stayed the course throughout the ups and downs of the stock markets. Tax loss harvest when possible (last time was last year's bond markets sell off).
Last edited by minesweep on Wed Jul 03, 2024 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy - John Bogle | Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others, it's cheaper! - John Bogle
vv19

Post by vv19 »

95/5 Stocks/Cash
70/30 VTI/QQQ

Late 30s couple.
just josh

Post by just josh »

Age 42

Allocation:
US large cap - 47%
Us small cap value- 21%
Gold - 9%
Reits - 5%
Bitcoin - 12%
Cash - 6%

Currently adding to allocation:
Long term treasuries
Reits
Gold
Small cap value
Large value
Coastfical

Post by Coastfical »

70/30
Still working
LBTRS

Post by LBTRS »

57 years old and 50% US Equities, 25% International Equities, and 25% Fixed Income and cash beyond emergency fund. So 75/25.
StartedAt22

Post by StartedAt22 »

29 years old

85% Total US (SCHB / VTI)
15% Total International (SCHF / VXUS)
A task begun is nearly half complete | Enough is as good as a feast | Risk: Ensure your goals can be met even under worst case scenario and be realistic.
slehrman7

Post by slehrman7 »

I am 73 and my spouse is 77. Our asset allocation is:
Equities 67%
Fixed income 15%
Cash 7%
Real estate 9%
Other 2%
BirdFood

Post by BirdFood »

Age 58.

50/50.

Vast majority in 401K, most of that in in TDFs. I'm taking them apart to, again, 50/50, organized as:

Stock: 80% US whole market, 20% international.
Fixed: roughly 70% individual TIPS, 30% shorter term Treasuries.

I will also have a paid-off house, half-decent pension and half-decent Social Security, so this is immensely conservative. I think my logical brain would like a still-fairly-conservative 70/30, but I don't trust my emotional brain to cope with that.

After the money from the TDFs is all organized and I give myself a year with that new reality, I'll consider a first step up to 55/45. If I survive a scary stock downturn, and especially if I bring myself to rebalance in that downturn, 60/40. I think my emotionally-safe max, ever, is 65/35.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

TnGuy wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 11:49 am Age = 65

AA = 100% equities

David
StartedAt22 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 3:04 pm 29 years old

Any pension?
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
TnGuy

Post by TnGuy »

ruralavalon wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 4:42 pm

AA = 100% equities

David
Any pension?
Wife will have a minimal one when she hits 65 (2 1/2 years from now). Me, no.

David
"Money will not make you happy. And happy will not make you money." - Groucho Marx
LuckyGuy

Post by LuckyGuy »

80% stocks
20% bonds and cash like

Ages 55 & 58
YangtzeCruiser

Post by YangtzeCruiser »

Ages 68 and 67. Retired.
75/11/14 (most of the cash is in T-bills).
berrycase99

Post by berrycase99 »

I want to do 85/15, though I may not buy bonds for a while so it's going to be 100% in equities with about 15-20% international funds.

How do you all accurately allocate the fund to that specific number?

I'm in my late 30's.
Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k »

AA:
75% domestic stock
20% cash,
5% employer annuity with guaranteed 7% payout
WonderWander

Post by WonderWander »

Ages 59 & 56

AA:
70% US stocks
15% International
15% Bonds, CDs, cash

Until recently, AA was 90/5/5. Planning to gradually decrease US portion to 60% and increase cash/ bond component.
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

JakeyLee wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 11:09 pm
nedsaid wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 8:19 pm Almost age 65, I have about 59% of my financial assets in stocks and the remainder in bonds and cash. The retirement accounts are 66% stocks and 34% bonds and cash. For Nedsaid, that is as wild as it gets.
Nedsaid,
I’m creeping up on my mid fifties.. and dang it, you’re my hero. I would have laughed like a crazy man 10 years ago if someone told me I’d be accumulating bonds, bond funds, t-bills, etc., in my later years. Thanks for all your posts. I’m not a smart man. But I’m retired and financially independent. And have NO problem rebalancing into safer pastures. “Pasture”? Yeah, like an old horse enjoying the land. Yup, that’s me. Anyway. :beer
I appreciate your comments. I recently updated my "New 'Doo" thread which has morphed into the Nedsaid retirement planning thread. I certainly don't want anyone to copy what I am doing or see me as some sort of guru. I want people to see the thought process that I am going through as I approach retirement. One thing I have done is to test drive an Advisory service, I have been with it for almost five years and I have shared my experiences. I have recently discussed my Medicare options and finally settled on that and I have been discussing my withdrawal strategy when it comes time to retire. My last post, I looked at my portfolio because I think it is past time to do some rebalancing.

When I discuss what I am doing with my investments, this is meant to provide insight into my thinking and to provide an example of how to perform analysis. What I am doing is for me, in line with my values, and in line with my approach to investing. What anyone else might do might be much different. For heaven's sake, I hope no one is copying exactly what I am doing. I am interested in this stuff and I like doing the analysis but most are not as passionate about investing as I am.

What I want to do is to stimulate people's thinking, particularly for those who are nearing retirement and considering their options. I want to provide a real life example of a person planning for a real life retirement. The ultimate real time case study of financial planning.

So what would I advise for someone in your situation?

Have a simpler portfolio built on the broad index funds. You don't need the complexity of what I am doing, though my portfolio is simpler than it appears. Market Cap weighted index funds should be the foundation and the core of everyone's portfolio. I would advise against holding individual stocks as I have. There are more efficient ways to invest.

Keep learning all you can from the forum. Take advantage of any free advice you can get from the investment companies you are doing business with. Later this year, I will meet with a Fidelity Advisor and go over my account though I will continue to manage this account myself. If I get one or two good ideas from the meeting, it will be well worth my time. I meet with the Advisor from my Advisory service 3-4 times a year remotely from my home office.

You are at a point where you would benefit from a good financial planner. I went through the financial planning process about 10-15 years ago and met with someone three times a year until I got laid off in 2014. It was very helpful in getting my thoughts organized. You can do a lot of this yourself, there are folks like Rob Berger who cover different aspects of financial planning from their videos on YouTube. Bogleheads has a lot of great material on their YouTube channel. There are free planning tools online and if you want to get deeper into the weeds, you can purchase a subscription to good financial planning software. I like to work with a live person, so I have been a hybrid investor who mostly does it myself but who also seeks advice.

Recently, I used an Advisor to help me navigate my Medicare options and I settled on it. My employer will reimburse my Medicare premiums. I could have done it myself but I wanted an experienced person to help me. I am very pleased with what I chose.

I see that you are now retired and financially independent. Good for you. I would probably be retired myself by now but I got laid off in 2014 and was underemployed for years. Now I am back to General Ledger Accounting, which I loved, am working for nice people, and the pay is good. So I will keep working for a couple more years, Lord willing. I did have opportunities to do some things with Mom and Dad during that time, Dad is gone but Mom is still living and being underemployed and experiencing times of unemployment gave me some time to do things with them. You sort of make the best of life even with circumstances are adverse.

You are smarter than you think. Whatever you did, you are retired and financially independent. You are smart enough to be at a forum like this, learning like the rest of us. I have learned a lot here myself.
A fool and his money are good for business.
StartedAt22

Post by StartedAt22 »

ruralavalon wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 4:42 pm

AA = 100% equities

David
StartedAt22 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 3:04 pm 29 years old

Any pension?
A very minor defined benefit plan with about $10k lump sum value today. Nothing else.
Targeting 33x - 35x for RE around 45-50.
A task begun is nearly half complete | Enough is as good as a feast | Risk: Ensure your goals can be met even under worst case scenario and be realistic.
carminered2019

Post by carminered2019 »

55, retired, AA is 70/30 to 90/10.
Last edited by carminered2019 on Tue Jul 09, 2024 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Back Dr

Post by Back Dr »

retired DW 64 DH 63, DW pension
AA: 40/60
Retiree mantra: keep your stock allocation below your risk tolerance and do not kid yourself about your risk tolerance.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

No pension, no annuities, no 401k Ira Roth etc.
retired: 70's
AA = 60/40

j
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
billthecat

Post by billthecat »

At age 55, excluding house:
  • 75% total US market
  • 12.5% I bonds and TIPS (target, actual is 9.4%)
  • 12.5% Cash, money market, treasuries, CD (target, actual is 15.6%)
We cannot direct the winds but we can adjust our sails • It's later than you think • Ack! Thbbft!
Lazareth

Post by Lazareth »

Age 70 retired executive, part-time school bus driver, spouse age 68 recently retired. No pension. AA is 50/50. One target-year fund, one balanced fund. Total AA will migrate toward bonds due target year fund.
a/70, retired, married, enjoy p/t employment. Simplified our portfolio to a single all-in-one target-date balanced index fund for easy withdrawals and no-stress asset allocation.
berrycase99

Post by berrycase99 »

I'm in my late 30's

SCHB 34.82%
SWWPX 44.78%
VXUS 19.53%
The rest in cash

Is it wise to invest in SCHB and SWPPX? Since they have large caps.
mhc

Post by mhc »

berrycase99 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 11:52 pm I'm in my late 30's

SCHB 34.82%
SWWPX 44.78%
VXUS 19.53%
The rest in cash

Is it wise to invest in SCHB and SWPPX? Since they have large caps.
It is wise to use those funds. I would probably go with just one though. I would not pay taxes to undo one of the positions. I would probably pick SCHB and add all new money to it.
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
cshell2

Post by cshell2 »

Age 55.

93/7

Need to work on that...
Target2019

Post by Target2019 »

60/40 before retirement. 50/50 at retirement (age 67). 65/35 after retirement (age 71).

All needs met by SSA x 2, and pension.