Heat Pump replacement cost

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
NightFall

Heat Pump replacement cost

Post by NightFall »

Our AC recently stopped working. Tech came out and says he thinks it’s a leak in the coil. $4.7K to replace and two weeks to get the part in. We live in Texas. So I asked how much to replace the whole thing. This is a 5 ton split heat pump. He quoted $21K for a single speed, $25K dual speed, and $32K for a variable speed. These prices seem crazy since they’re as much as a car. We’re trying to get additional quotes, but do these prices sound correct? It’s been 15 years since I last replaced one, but it was no where near this cost before.
Normchad

Re: Heat Pump replacement cost

Post by Normchad »

NightFall wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 9:43 pm Our AC recently stopped working. Tech came out and says he thinks it’s a leak in the coil. $4.7K to replace and two weeks to get the part in. We live in Texas. So I asked how much to replace the whole thing. This is a 5 ton split heat pump. He quoted $21K for a single speed, $25K dual speed, and $32K for a variable speed. These prices seem crazy since they’re as much as a car. We’re trying to get additional quotes, but do these prices sound correct? It’s been 15 years since I last replaced one, but it was no where near this cost before.
They sound crazy to me too.
talzara

Post by talzara »

NightFall wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 9:43 pm Our AC recently stopped working. Tech came out and says he thinks it’s a leak in the coil. $4.7K to replace and two weeks to get the part in. We live in Texas. So I asked how much to replace the whole thing. This is a 5 ton split heat pump. He quoted $21K for a single speed, $25K dual speed, and $32K for a variable speed. These prices seem crazy since they’re as much as a car. We’re trying to get additional quotes, but do these prices sound correct? It’s been 15 years since I last replaced one, but it was no where near this cost before.
Those prices are high.

Try a different HVAC company, and don't tell them what the first company's tech said. A lot of HVAC contractors pay commissions to techs for selling new systems.
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

All just add to the other two posts those quotes seem very high. I got two entire inverter systems installed one with a 97% NG furnace backup totaling 3.5 tons between the two and I paid $27k total before any credits/rebates. This is in a medium cost of living area. I got quotes from five companies with several of those offering more than one option. There was a quite a range in prices so it is worth getting multiple bids.
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

For comparison:

We we just quoted $18K for replacing a 75K BTU natural gas furnace and 3 ton 23 SEER A/C for our 1200 sq ft home (1200 main floor, 1200 basement, well insulated.

I assume that the heat pump would be costlier. I did not get a quote as it is not suitable for our area, since winter temps get down to -15 to -20 F, and we just cover our A/C to protect it through the icy winter.

Did you have issues with heating during the electrical outages in Texas?
I like our NH furnace, since I can wire the unit to run off a portable generator, as it only needs about 800W continuous for the blower motor, and our generator is 3.5 KW. With electrical backup heat strips I am too dependent on grid power
firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts »

I am mildly concerned about a leak in an old unit we have, and am looking for a reality check to hvacdirect.com.

Mr Cool makes a 20 SEER ducted 2 to 5 tons.
2 tons about $4k
5 tons about $5k.

These are precharged with precharged lines, which requires less skill to install. One day's work, let's say. Conventional lines are not a big deal, not much work, but more skill needed. Plus it takes time, you have to pull vacuum and charge refrigerant.

That gives you an idea. There are better units out there, I'm sure, but they aren't all that expensive. A mitsubishi is about the same price, nominally 18 SEER, and not precharged.

People's brand preferences have changed hugely in this market.
This time is the same
Faith20879

Post by Faith20879 »

NightFall wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 9:43 pm ... This is a 5 ton split heat pump. He quoted $21K for a single speed, $25K dual speed, and $32K for a variable speed. These prices seem crazy since they’re as much as a car.
This seem reasonable. We are in Mid-Atlantic region, our old unit quit two weeks ago during the top heat wave. The new dual speed 3 ton Trane cost us 21k. Another guy also quoted 24k for a Mitsubishi. So I think you numbers look comparable. Also note if you get a good SEER, you may qualify for more Fed tax incentive come next April.
Sweaty

Post by Sweaty »

DC area, 2 ton, Carrier Greenspeed, 22 SEER, new line set, added return, November 2023, great quality work.

$14,000 minus $2000 tax credit

Learn everything about heat pumps and keep shopping. The variety of people and prices you get is amazing.
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

firebirdparts wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 10:05 am I am mildly concerned about a leak in an old unit we have, and am looking for a reality check to hvacdirect.com.

Mr Cool makes a 20 SEER ducted 2 to 5 tons.
2 tons about $4k
5 tons about $5k.

These are precharged with precharged lines, which requires less skill to install. One day's work, let's say. Conventional lines are not a big deal, not much work, but more skill needed. Plus it takes time, you have to pull vacuum and charge refrigerant.

That gives you an idea. There are better units out there, I'm sure, but they aren't all that expensive. A mitsubishi is about the same price, nominally 18 SEER, and not precharged.

People's brand preferences have changed hugely in this market.
Unfortunately in the US at least you are looking at 2-3x the equipment prices for a full install. I considered it a "win" when I could get my Mitsubishi P series installed for about 2x the cost of the underlying equipment on places like HVAC direct. If you want cheaper you are looking at either doing it yourself and/or finding an installer who will moonlight and install your purchased equipment. There are both pros and cons to both.
Last edited by THY4373 on Wed Jul 10, 2024 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MGBMartin

Post by MGBMartin »

Just had my 4 ton heat pump replaced a few months ago, just the outside unit as the indoor unit was replaced a few years or so ago.
Where I live I get about 11-12 years out of an outdoor unit.
This one was my 3rd time replacing it.
Every time has been done by a friend of mine that has a small AC company and felt he’s always given me friends and family rates.
When he came this last time to see what the issue was we decided to just go ahead and replace the unit even though it could have been repaired. He warned me prices have risen a lot since the time which was $2200 and this time it would be $4300 that included a new valve on the indoor unit and a new hurricane pad. Sure it a builders grade unit but that’s ok with me.
Not that I don’t trust him but I looked up the price of the unit from one of online wholesalers and it was around $2800 for just the unit; last time i think 4 to heat pump outdoor units were around $1000 from HD etc.
In the local rag that gets thrown on the driveway each week there are some local companies advertising 4ton complete change outs for around $12,000.
I doubt you are going to find a price like I paid but the price you were quoted looks kind of steep.
Bad spellers of the world untie | Autocorrect is my worst enema
BirderInTraining

Post by BirderInTraining »

I, too, live in Texas and had a 1.5 ton unit replaced a year ago. I am going to put a link to a comment I made some time ago on a related question. I hope the link will work. Bottom line is that Mitsubishi/variable speed systems are the way to go and you need to get several quotes and talk to friends. The range of values that you'll get in quotes will blow your mind. Be sure to double check that the model they are offering meets the federal standards for the rebates. Good luck.

viewtopic.php?p=7895777#p7895777