Anyone still favor Vanguard?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
TipsQuestions

Re: Anyone still favor Vanguard?

Post by TipsQuestions »

beyou wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:44 pm
Cheyenne wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:00 am I have accounts at Fidelity, Schwab and Vanguard. Last week I started buying TIPS, and buying through Vanguard has been the easiest and best experience.
Yes, Vanguard has a good Fixed Income desk. Not surprised.
I second this. It's been easy to buy TIPS through Vanguard, and when I did have a question (an order was mysteriously cancelled), I called them and they clearly explained why.
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

Has Vanguard's CS gotten any better in the last few months? I'm really considering moving some assets over, primarily for their money market and to get access to funds that support automatic investing (which you can'd do with ETFs at Schwab).

Anyone gone against the grain and moved from Schwab or Fidelity back to Vanguard?
upekkha

Post by upekkha »

I favor Vanguard and to date have had no issue with them. I have my Roth IRA and taxable accounts with Vanguard, my 403(b) with TIAA, and my HSA with Schwaab.
"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan." - Carl Von Clausewitz
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

NYCaviator wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:29 pm Has Vanguard's CS gotten any better in the last few months? I'm really considering moving some assets over, primarily for their money market and to get access to funds that support automatic investing (which you can'd do with ETFs at Schwab).

Anyone gone against the grain and moved from Schwab or Fidelity back to Vanguard?
Customer Service since Covid been improved, they took a year three months to give me Flagship status, it was too long a wait.

I had 2.6 million all that time.

An appeal to Vanguard through secure messing is a request to be able to buy Vanguard PrimeCap, currently only open to account with Flagship above 1 million.

All my equities are at Vanguard, been with them since 1995, I have no current plans to leave Vanguard, despite minor hiccups here and there.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

retire2022 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 12:45 am
NYCaviator wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:29 pm Has Vanguard's CS gotten any better in the last few months? I'm really considering moving some assets over, primarily for their money market and to get access to funds that support automatic investing (which you can'd do with ETFs at Schwab).

Customer Service since Covid been improved, they took a year three months to give me Flagship status, it was too long a wait.

An appeal to Vanguard through secure messing is a request to be able to buy Vanguard PrimeCap, currently only open to account with Flagship above 1 million.

All my equities are at Vanguard, been with them since 1995, I have no current plans to leave Vanguard, despite minor hiccups here and there.
Excellent to hear! We have been with Vanguard a long time.

Like Taylor, we often say it was the best financial decision we ever made.

Vanguard is the only “mutual” mutual fund company.

Thank you Jack Bogle!

Best.
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Thank you Jack Bogle!

Best.
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
mander75

Post by mander75 »

Does anyone know how to adjust email preferences (particularly for news and investment advice) at Vanguard? I just received a year-end checklist from Vanguard and found it useful. I cannot find a way to adjust my email preferences though.
sschullo

Post by sschullo »

abuss368 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:01 pm

Thank you Jack Bogle!

Best.
Tony
+2 Tony. Upon further reflection on the OP's original question. I was thinking, what an odd question at this forum, last I heard it is titled Bogleheads.
After 20 years, I will never leave Vanguard because it does exactly what I designed my portfolio to do, NOTHING, except my RMD and some rebalancing once in a while, saved a ton of money by a low .07% fee and most of all totally ignore the news.
Never in the history of market day-traders’ has the obsession with so much massive, sophisticated, & powerful statistical machinery used by the brightest people on earth with such useless results.
Exchme

Post by Exchme »

If Fidelity or Schwab didn't exist, other firms would pick up the slack and industry pricing would remain the same. If Vanguard didn't exist, we would all pay through the nose as the low cost alternatives at the other brokerages would disappear. We vote for low prices by keeping our money at Vanguard.

All the goodies that folks like at other firms - brick and mortar stores, high touch customer service, fancy interfaces, free software - come at a cost, subsidized by customers like us that don't need that stuff and don't want to pay for it. We get what we need at Vanguard and don't pay for what we don't need.

Sounds like a fair deal to me.
tj

Post by tj »

Exchme wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:19 pm If Fidelity or Schwab didn't exist, other firms would pick up the slack and industry pricing would remain the same. If Vanguard didn't exist, we would all pay through the nose as the low cost alternatives at the other brokerages would disappear. We vote for low prices by keeping our money at Vanguard.

All the goodies that folks like at other firms - brick and mortar stores, high touch customer service, fancy interfaces, free software - come at a cost, subsidized by customers like us that don't need that stuff and don't want to pay for it. We get what we need at Vanguard and don't pay for what we don't need.

Sounds like a fair deal to me.
I think it's the oppposite - bogleheadish investors at FIdelity and Schwab are heavily subsidized by advisory clients at those firms.
swampwiz

Post by swampwiz »

I still recommend Vanguard as a mutual-fund manager, but oh my gosh, as a brokerage, it has been the absolute worst experience I have ever had with a business. MOVE YOUR ACCOUNT TO SCHWAB, OR FIDELITY, NOW!
swampwiz

Post by swampwiz »

sschullo wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:07 pm

Thank you Jack Bogle!

Best.
Tony
+2 Tony. Upon further reflection on the OP's original question. I was thinking, what an odd question at this forum, last I heard it is titled Bogleheads.
After 20 years, I will never leave Vanguard because it does exactly what I designed my portfolio to do, NOTHING, except my RMD and some rebalancing once in a while, saved a ton of money by a low .07% fee and most of all totally ignore the news.
Do you plan to remove all your assets there before you pass away? If not, then your Beneficiaries will experience the full power of the Dark Side of Vanguard's Force. You & your heirs have been warned.
trueson1

Post by trueson1 »

I have been with Vanguard for 40 years. It meets my needs and no issues with customer service, although customer service use is minimal. If it becomes problematic, I would consider changing to Fidelity, where I have some assets, but don't see a reason to change right now and expend the effort to do it all.
JoeNJ28

Post by JoeNJ28 »

swampwiz wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 1:43 pm I still recommend Vanguard as a mutual-fund manager, but oh my gosh, as a brokerage, it has been the absolute worst experience I have ever had with a business. MOVE YOUR ACCOUNT TO SCHWAB, OR FIDELITY, NOW!
Are you just finding every vanguard thread you can today to post this into.
swampwiz

Post by swampwiz »

I guess I am. :)
batangueno

Post by batangueno »

Yes, I do.
teacher

Post by teacher »

Our portfolio is split; 48% at Vanguard (ROTHs and taxable) and 52% at Fidelity (DH’s 401k). Up until a several years ago, Vanguard was our absolute preference, primarily due to the influence of Jack Bogle’s brilliance and integrity. But after he retired, incremental changes seemed to alter the Vanguard culture and mission making us wonder if Vanguard was still a company “owned by the investor and for the investor.” As a result, we are considering consolidating our portfolio at Fidelity, primarily due to a decline in customer service at Vanguard, a desire to simplify our financial legacy, and provide our boys access (upon our demise) to our in-person Fidelity financial advisor. The only thing that may stop us from consolidating the portfolio at Fidelity is a reluctance to put all of our eggs in one basket.
Whakamole

Post by Whakamole »

swampwiz wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 1:44 pm

Thank you Jack Bogle!

Best.
Tony
Do you plan to remove all your assets there before you pass away? If not, then your Beneficiaries will experience the full power of the Dark Side of Vanguard's Force. You & your heirs have been warned.
How bad is Vanguard in these cases nowadays? I moved my own assets to Fidelity but my mother's are still at Vanguard where I have financial POA. There's a chance that she passes without having spent down her assets first, and I don't want to deal with a nightmare if that happens.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Whakamole wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 11:44 am
swampwiz wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 1:44 pm

Thank you Jack Bogle!

Best.
Tony
How bad is Vanguard in these cases nowadays? I moved my own assets to Fidelity but my mother's are still at Vanguard where I have financial POA. There's a chance that she passes without having spent down her assets first, and I don't want to deal with a nightmare if that happens.
It may depend on how the account is titled. We have received two inheritances via VG and I've assisted two widows of friends with VG inherited accounts. None were in trusts and they were handled without incident quite quickly. Note that the POA expires at death so unless you are the executor/personal rep the actual implementation is in someone elses' hands.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
John Nagle

Post by John Nagle »

I'm concerned about staying with Vanguard funds. They're trying to
force me to move my fund holdings to their new in-house brokerage. They
sent out a deceptive letter titled "It's time to upgrade your account".
This comes with a threat: "If you don't complete the process yourself,
we'll take care of the transition for you.".
I don't want their
brokerage service, and I don't want some "broker" in a call center able to
look at my holdings and use that info for marketing purposes. Worse,
Vanguard won't tell you their brokerage terms and conditions until you sign
up. Try https://personal.vanguard.com/us/litera ... ms?lang=en
and click on "(VBA) Vanguard Brokerage Account Agreement". That sends you
to a login page. Going through their brokerage means new fees, and new
terms that probably don't favor the customer. I've been a Vanguard fund
holder since the 1990s. I don't trust them any more. It's time to exit.
tj

Post by tj »

John Nagle wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 5:23 pm I'm concerned about staying with Vanguard funds. They're trying to
I don't want their
They've been transitioning people for like a decade at this point. You're going to have to open a brokerage account somewhere else if you don't use Vanguard's. I doubt the call center employees are any different for their brokerage vs their funds.
Feldman

Post by Feldman »

John Nagle wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 5:23 pm I'm concerned about staying with Vanguard funds. They're trying to
I don't want their
It hardly classifies as new, John.

You have several misconceptions.

Try this:

https://personal1.vanguard.com/pdf/v718t.pdf
LonePrairie

Post by LonePrairie »

I moved my smallest account - a Roth - from Vanguard to Fidelity. I negotiated a bonus if I moved my traditional IRA, but decided to forego the bonus and keep my trad. IRA at Vanguard along with my taxable account which is larger than the two retirement accounts. I very much prefer Fidelity's monthly statement format to Vanguard's.
nyejos11

Post by nyejos11 »

We use Vanguard for our brokerage account and Roth. 401k at Fidelity and another and use Treasury Direct for some I-bonds etc. I view Vanguard as a big box store, if you know what you want go and get it yourself at low cost. Never had any problems and customer service was great when I had a question or 2.
pennsylvania211

Post by pennsylvania211 »

We keep assets in Vanguard, but not exclusively.

Vanguard still has a cleaner shirt than others. But there are a few stains:

1. Management is opaque. Not sure if they are running it like Berkshire or Enron behind closed doors. I'd like to say Berkshire, but I worry Enron and keep assets diversified across index funds from different providers.

2. Advice by AUM. Especially robo advisor. Why a company "owned by fund shareholders[TM]" charges any robo-advisor fees at all, let alone charges different fees for portfolio of $500,000 vs $5,000,000. Does the robot (kidding, "algorithm") managing the larger portfolio really cost $9,000 worth more electrons per year? Does that look like a company looking out for best interests of the fund shareholder?

3. If you remember recent history, it was Vanguard Robinhood that cut trading commissions to zero, and the rest of industry (including Vanguard) followed. And you'd be forgiven for thinking that Vanguard was leading the industry in cost-cutting innovations.

My conclusion. Bogle did start out creating a great company that was unlike its peers. But he did not build sufficient safeguards. Now he's gone. The company today is run by Wall St types (including the latest CEO from BlackRock) who slowly keep transforming it into something that looks like them (BlackRock, Fidelity, Schwab, etc). That's why Vanguard doesn't offer anything different anymore.

It's not the end of the world, but hardly a company that deserves fan-boy-dom anymore unless you're just a wall st fanboy.