Protecting Brand New Car From Salt-Related Rust

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
mtwistercapitalist

Protecting Brand New Car From Salt-Related Rust

Post by mtwistercapitalist »

Hi everyone, I'm going to be buying a brand new car off the lot of a dealership in the near future and potentially relocating to a snowy state where they throw salt on the roads like nothing else?

Apart from doing a weekly car wash with the underside being washed in order to get the salt off, what other measures should one take?

I heard of a special underside protective film spray being used. How effective is such spraying overall against the salt? Is it worth doing? If so, would doing such be OK and not void a brand new car's manufacturer and dealer warranty?

Thanks in advance
sungold

Re: Protecting Brand New Car From Salt-Related Rust

Post by sungold »

Woolwax or fluid film is what I read state snow plows use. I apply in the fall. 4 years on and I'm happy with the results.
bobn60014

Post by bobn60014 »

Recently discussed. New vehicles don't require it, though some think it adds something, Meh........Save your money.

viewtopic.php?t=434724
sport

Post by sport »

I live in an area where salted roads are a routine occurrence. When I drove GM cars, rust was a big problem. When I switched to Toyotas, I have not had any rust problems except for one heat shield covering the exhaust system.
ponzu

Post by ponzu »

Heat speeds corrosion, so don't park in a heated garage. And washing the undercarriage as you said, especially when the weather warms up.
cubs1999

Post by cubs1999 »

Someone already linked my thread where I summarized what I had found from reading forums.

I haven't had to make a decision yet as I won't buy a new car until one of my clunkers is done.

One thing to consider is how long you're going to keep the vehicle. If you get rid of it in less than ten years, it probably is unnecessary. Maybe it would increase the price you could get from a private party if the treatment(s) really work and it really has no rust. Id think for a "regular" car, this might not even matter, but maybe for models that attract car enthusiasts (e.g. Corvette, Miata, Integra, Etc).

I would plan on keeping my new car as long as possible so that is why I would consider the treatments discussed in my thread. As I said in my thread, I have two clunkers that are both nearly 20 years old that have rust but are still running. They might be in better condition had I done some sort of treatment but then again they are still running.
TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy »

mtwistercapitalist wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 8:14 pm Hi everyone, I'm going to be buying a brand new car off the lot of a dealership in the near future and potentially relocating to a snowy state where they throw salt on the roads like nothing else?

Apart from doing a weekly car wash with the underside being washed in order to get the salt off, what other measures should one take?

I heard of a special underside protective film spray being used. How effective is such spraying overall against the salt? Is it worth doing? If so, would doing such be OK and not void a brand new car's manufacturer and dealer warranty?

Thanks in advance
What brand? Toyota is notorious for rusting, so if it is one I'd get it. I do fluid film. If other brands they seem to have much better protection. Drove hondas without any issues here in MA, for over a decade before getting rid of them. Other than regular under carriage wash in winter I didn't do anything special for them.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Most new vehicles are pretty much immune to body rust now. Where you get the rust is the underbody. Spray under there frequently during the winter (in a car wash) and a final spray in early spring (with a hose) after all the snow has melted.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
h82goslw

Post by h82goslw »

ponzu wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 8:58 pm Heat speeds corrosion, so don't park in a heated garage. And washing the undercarriage as you said, especially when the weather warms up.
Hmmmm….park outside when it’s -10 to possibly keep rust at bay in a decade or keep my car comfy cozy and get in to a warm car in the morning before going to work? There are some things in life that are just not worth it.
Auream

Post by Auream »

When I used to live in central NY, there were car washes that advertised underbody washing, and also offered monthly unlimited car wash plans (back then I think it was $20/mo but I’m sure its more now). If you’re really dedicated to keeping the corrosion off, going to the car wash multiple times a week would probably help a lot.
h82goslw

Post by h82goslw »

To the OP….been living my entire life in a snowy state and have never done anything to a car to allay salt corrosion and never had a problem. And I keep my cars a very long time.
sport

Post by sport »

TheOscarGuy wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 6:17 am What brand? Toyota is notorious for rusting, so if it is one I'd get it. I do fluid film. If other brands they seem to have much better protection. Drove hondas without any issues here in MA, for over a decade before getting rid of them. Other than regular under carriage wash in winter I didn't do anything special for them.
My 2010 Camry has been used every winter on Cleveland's salt treated streets. It has not rusted, even though we keep it in a garage, and hardly ever wash it. My 2013 Camry has also not rusted. I am the original owner of both cars.
gavinsiu

Post by gavinsiu »

Run the car through a car wash with undercarriage wash.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

ponzu wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 8:58 pm Heat speeds corrosion, so don't park in a heated garage. And washing the undercarriage as you said, especially when the weather warms up.
What about unheated garages? My houses in Michigan had attached unheated garages. The mornings after I had driven around in snow and ice the previous day, I'd find a lot of it fell off in the garage overnight.

Makes for a dirty garage floor, but that can be cleaned in the spring.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
dbr

Post by dbr »

I don't think there is anything that you do. Staying out of heated garages might be a real thing.

Current model cars are far less susceptible to rust than cars of yore.

The last car I lost due to rust was a 1999 LeSabre that I gave up in 2015 at 16 years always parked outside in a (in most people's view) severe winter climate. Cars of 1970's/1980's vintage rusted pretty badly in the end. We have a 2003 Saturn that is mostly rust free except some brake issues after 19 years. I have a rust free 2015 Subaru going on 9 years now, never garaged and never car washed.

It is possible that a climate that stays below freezing for longer periods is more benign than one that hovers around freezing with more liquid water and more salt used than in a colder climate.
AllMostThere

Post by AllMostThere »

Cars will rust, but there are ways to minimize. I have had several new vehicles over the past 30 years here in SE Michigan (i.e. rust heaven!). None have had any rust issues as I have been a customer of Ziebart Rust Preventive Undercoating. Some will say it's not worth it, but based upon my experience none of my vehicles developed any rust issues and none were garage stored. If you don't believe in undercoating, then purchase an unlimited wash membership at a local car wash. In the winter months, plan on daily washes to help wash off the salt splash.
Stop thinking about what money can buy. Start thinking about what your money can earn. - Author JL Collins | Dream as if you’ll live forever. Live as if you’ll die today. - Author James Dean
Onlineid3089

Post by Onlineid3089 »

In my opinion you are way too worried about this. Just wash it on the occasional warm day in the winter, no need for weekly at that time. Wash it a couple additional times in the spring as the snow melts, maybe a couple more as rains start and the salt actually washes off the roads. The rest of the year wash it however often you feel like washing it with no consideration to salt/rust. Done.
FRANK2009

Post by FRANK2009 »

Get a pressure washer andhttps://www.lowes.com/pd/SurfaceMaxx-Pro-SMX-Pr ... 5001554489. Use it a few times during warm winter days and early spring. Wash the rest of the car too.
hoofaman

Post by hoofaman »

Growing up in the midwest, in the 90s I remember seeing basically any car that was 5-10 years old looking like swiss cheese, and cars just a few years old with small visible amounts here and there

I think it's much less of a problem now than it used to be, I don't see rust holes in cars when I visit midwest as often, although hard to see how much underbody corrosion there is
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

I wouldn't worry about it. New cars don't rust like old ones and (I think) the ice melt they are using on the roads these days are different and slightly less corrosive.

At the end of the day, it's a car. It's going to get dents and dings and scrapes. By the time there's any rust it'll probably be time for a new car anyway.