New mattress

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
OpenMinded1

Re: New mattress

Post by OpenMinded1 »

A little off topic, but I recently got a full size "mattress-in-a-box" from Casper. My wife and I weren't sure how we would get it to the bedroom, especially since my back was especially sore at about the time it was due to arrive. We live in a split-level house. However, we did it without any trouble. The mattress was in a box about 48" X 30" X 30". It wasn't nearly as awkward to move as a mattress not in a box. The way they prepped it for shipping was interesting. It came compressed in a thick, plastic bag. I think they compress them by sucking all the air out of the bag. The mattress was essentially vacuum packed. The mattress decompressed when we opened the bag. It expanded to the advertised dimensions.
Last edited by OpenMinded1 on Mon Jul 08, 2024 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
FeralCat

Post by FeralCat »

Dottie57 wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 9:36 pm
student wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 9:29 pm
FeralCat wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 8:56 pm
student wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 8:28 pm
FeralCat wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 8:00 pm Many people say they want a firm, or extra-firm mattress. Does this go back to puritanical roots and a need to be punished? Well, there is an agreement that they aren't good for the human back. I have a 100% latex mattress and it has done wonders for my back. The mattress salesperson picked out a medium firmness for me, and it is still perfect.
I am not aware that firm or extra-firm mattress is not good for human back. Can you point me to the relevant literature? I did a quick google search and it seems that no one knows what is really better. https://www.health.harvard.edu/pain/wha ... -back-pain
The spine needs to be aligned in the neutral position in order to avoid back soreness or back pain while sleeping. The industry formula for keeping the spine neutral depends on your body weight, and sleeping position(s). A good mattress salesperson should be able to tell you your proper firmness. As an anecdote, everyone I know who has purchased a firm mattress ends up in the market for a mattress topper. Because a firm mattress is too hard. Firm mattresses are probably much cheaper to build, because there is less padding. They may be making them even cheaper than they used to, like everything else. My latex mattress is now a decade old, and like brand new. If it wasn't still providing support, my lower back would tell me and I no longer have back pain. I bought my mattress from a "healthy back" type of store, and I did feel that they had better quality mattresses than at a typical, cheesy mattress store. Good luck.
Thanks for the info. I am not aware of latex mattresses. I will look into it.
I had a latex mattress as a child. It deteriorated to yellow dust by age 24. Lasted over 20 uears. I loved it. I now have a sleep number bed (12 years old). Love having the ability to adjust the firmness. Some days I want firm and others less so. I also have the adjustable that raises the head or the feet as desired.

Even on a sleep mattress I likecthe cushy feeling of a mattress topper.
Natural latex mattresses last a lifetime. You may be referring to a synthetic latex mattress, which is different. The only negative about a natural latex mattress is that they are heavy to move. They are the coolest mattress because they are made from natural materials. I live somewhere with hot summers, so this is important for me.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

FeralCat wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 10:09 am
student wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 8:28 pm

I am not aware that firm or extra-firm mattress is not good for human back. Can you point me to the relevant literature? I did a quick google search and it seems that no one knows what is really better. https://www.health.harvard.edu/pain/wha ... -back-pain
The spine needs to be aligned in the neutral position in order to avoid back soreness or back pain while sleeping. The industry formula for keeping the spine neutral depends on your body weight, and sleeping position(s). A good mattress salesperson should be able to tell you your proper firmness. As an anecdote, everyone I know who has purchased a firm mattress ends up in the market for a mattress topper. Because a firm mattress is too hard. Firm mattresses are probably much cheaper to build, because there is less padding. They may be making them even cheaper than they used to, like everything else. My latex mattress is now a decade old, and like brand new. If it wasn't still providing support, my lower back would tell me and I no longer have back pain. I bought my mattress from a "healthy back" type of store, and I did feel that they had better quality mattresses than at a typical, cheesy mattress store. Good luck.
I had a latex mattress as a child. It deteriorated to yellow dust by age 24. Lasted over 20 uears. I loved it. I now have a sleep number bed (12 years old). Love having the ability to adjust the firmness. Some days I want firm and others less so. I also have the adjustable that raises the head or the feet as desired.

Natural latex mattresses last a lifetime. You may be referring to a synthetic latex mattress, which is different. The only negative about a natural latex mattress is that they are heavy to move. They are the coolest mattress because they are made from natural materials. I live somewhere with hot summers, so this is important for me.
Interesting. It was a 1960 vintage mattress. No springs.

All I remember is that it was latex.

And the internet search says natural (without other chemicals added) is biodegradable over time. My mattress was exuding fine powder and was seen when lifting mattress up to clean.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

OpenMinded1 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 9:39 am
student wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 6:11 am
nalor511 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 2:26 am
student wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 2:05 pm
bombcar wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 1:35 pm We have an Original Mattress Factory we like.

But it's a very personal thing. You might ask local hotels what they use, and then pay for a few nights at each and see which you like the best.

Or use the guest bedroom mattress and move it into the main room.
lol. Different size.
bombcar wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 1:35 pm The sleep number stuff is a bit of a gimmick - you'll set it once and never change it again, so you could just get that mattress firmness to start with. The hard part is figuring that out.
Very true. It is more of paying for figuring it out.
Had a sleep number now for 22 years. No regrets. I will buy another if this one ever starts leaking. We do like each side a different firmness. And our firmness has changed over the years. Flexibility is priceless, and nobody talks about how much lighter in weight they are than memory foam mattresses. Try moving a foam mattress by yourself. Then try an air mattress and rejoice
Thanks for the info.
I like the idea of adjustability, but I couldn't bring myself to pay that much. I admit it was tempting, but I sleep fine, and have greatly reduced my back pain with a mattress that was a third to a quarter of the price of a Sleep Number.
As a sleep number owner, the "open secret" is that the sleep number beds are all the same inside, so don't pay more for the expensive ones. The only different is the amount/layers of memory foam topping. So just buy the cheapest one that's the size/features that you want, which (for me) is about $1k right now. Not that bad, and about half what I paid 22 years ago. Throw the 4th of july sale on top of that, and it's significantly less than $1k. Then go buy a memory foam topper of the thickness you want, unzip the case, and put it in.
FeralCat

Post by FeralCat »

Dottie57 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 12:59 pm
FeralCat wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 10:09 am

Interesting. It was a 1960 vintage mattress. No springs.

All I remember is that it was latex.

And the internet search says natural (without other chemicals added) is biodegradable over time. My mattress was exuding fine powder and was seen when lifting mattress up to clean.
From what I can see online, it says that latex biodegrades if it is exposed to bacteria or fungi (i.e. buried in the soil). Not under normal household circumstances. I do believe there is a difference in the manufacturing quality of various latex layers in mattresses. Some latex layers are far more expensive than others.
ponzu

Post by ponzu »

Another choice is an all-wool futon mattress. These are definitely only for people who like an extremely firm mattress. I love mine and have had it for over a decade. I've had several extra firm foam mattresses over the years that I liked fine, but the wool one has a "springy" quality that the foam ones lack. They are sold at the same type of places that sell the natural latex mattresses. If there happens to be an "organic mattress" store in your area, I recommending trying them all out. There are also hybrid wool/latex mattresses. I would warn that they are very expensive, but it sounds like the good conventional mattresses are also very pricey, so it might not make a difference. Good luck.
Reamus294

Post by Reamus294 »

I am in the process of DIY’ing our mattress. Bought some pocket coil springs, some natural Talalay latex toppers in medium and soft, and a mattress cover. Looking to replicate the Naturepedic pillow top mattress for half the cost.

I love the idea of being able to switch out layers down the line.

We did something similar with an all blended Talalay latex mattress 10 years ago.

Mattress Underground is a pretty good resource for reading.
anoop

Post by anoop »

Ideally, I would like a mattress/bed that is as firm as a massage table (and then add a topper if needed). But I haven't been able to find something like that.

What I use now is 2-layer latex mattress in the firmest configuration that was offered by the store. It has firm 6" tatalay latex bottom firm layer with a 2" tatalay latex top medium-firm layer. It's heavy so I pay the store to have them come and rotate the mattress and flip the top layer every 6 months or so.
anoop

Post by anoop »

ponzu wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 2:37 pm Another choice is an all-wool futon mattress. These are definitely only for people who like an extremely firm mattress. I love mine and have had it for over a decade. I've had several extra firm foam mattresses over the years that I liked fine, but the wool one has a "springy" quality that the foam ones lack. They are sold at the same type of places that sell the natural latex mattresses. If there happens to be an "organic mattress" store in your area, I recommending trying them all out. There are also hybrid wool/latex mattresses. I would warn that they are very expensive, but it sounds like the good conventional mattresses are also very pricey, so it might not make a difference. Good luck.
Does the wool not compress over time? I have wool pillows and there's definitely compression.

Also what kind of foundation is it on? I once tried a wool futon on a slatted base and I could feel the slats. This is the one I tried:
https://savvyrest.com/product/pastoral/
They specifically recommend putting it on top of 2 of their bed rugs.
Last edited by anoop on Mon Jul 08, 2024 7:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JayB

Post by JayB »

I am intrigued by Sleep Number beds but discouraged by the fact that they all seem depend on Bluetooth control from cell phones now. Bluetooth protocols are constantly changing, and I would be concerned that 10-20 years from now, I would have trouble finding a cell phone with the antiquated Bluetooth protocol needed to communicate with the air pressure controller of the bed.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

JayB wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 6:54 pm I am intrigued by Sleep Number beds but discouraged by the fact that they all seem depend on Bluetooth control from cell phones now. Bluetooth protocols are constantly changing, and I would be concerned that 10-20 years from now, I would have trouble finding a cell phone with the antiquated Bluetooth protocol needed to communicate with the air pressure controller of the bed.
It's $50 for a dedicated remote (classic series)
ponzu

Post by ponzu »

anoop wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 6:50 pm
ponzu wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 2:37 pm Another choice is an all-wool futon mattress. These are definitely only for people who like an extremely firm mattress. I love mine and have had it for over a decade. I've had several extra firm foam mattresses over the years that I liked fine, but the wool one has a "springy" quality that the foam ones lack. They are sold at the same type of places that sell the natural latex mattresses. If there happens to be an "organic mattress" store in your area, I recommending trying them all out. There are also hybrid wool/latex mattresses. I would warn that they are very expensive, but it sounds like the good conventional mattresses are also very pricey, so it might not make a difference. Good luck.
Does the wool not compress over time? I have wool pillows and there's definitely compression.

Also what kind of foundation is it on? I once tried a wool futon on a slatted base and I could feel the slats. This is the one I tried:
https://savvyrest.com/product/pastoral/
They specifically recommend putting it on top of 2 of their bed rugs.
The middle does look a little lower than the edges, but this hasn't caused an issue for me. I do have it on a wooden slat platform bed, but I don't feel the slats. I have the "Shepherd's Dream" which is 5" thick (or was when new). I kind of remember the sales guy at the mattress store saying that 135 pounds was the weight limit before people start to feel the slats. I think he wanted to sell a latex layer to go under it.
Mitchell777

Post by Mitchell777 »

TexasPE wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 3:32 pm Do you normally flip/rotate the mattress every few months? If not, flip it and you should have a "new" to-your-back surface to sleep on. The right foam topper can also make a big difference.
I just read something that said most mattresses today are one-sided, meaning they do not need to be flipped and should not be flipped. Perhaps that is not correct. Also I've always had a box spring which I understood is not necessary any longer with some mattresses, but that you do need a box spring if you have an old metal bed frame.
bogles the mind

Post by bogles the mind »

JayB wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 6:54 pm I am intrigued by Sleep Number beds but discouraged by the fact that they all seem depend on Bluetooth control from cell phones now. Bluetooth protocols are constantly changing, and I would be concerned that 10-20 years from now, I would have trouble finding a cell phone with the antiquated Bluetooth protocol needed to communicate with the air pressure controller of the bed.
I think newer Bluetooth protocols are backwards looking.
anoop

Post by anoop »

Mitchell777 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 7:44 pm
TexasPE wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 3:32 pm Do you normally flip/rotate the mattress every few months? If not, flip it and you should have a "new" to-your-back surface to sleep on. The right foam topper can also make a big difference.
I just read something that said most mattresses today are one-sided, meaning they do not need to be flipped and should not be flipped. Perhaps that is not correct. Also I've always had a box spring which I understood is not necessary any longer with some mattresses, but that you do need a box spring if you have an old metal bed frame.
It depends on the mattress. Some are one sided and don’t need to be flipped but they may still need to be rotated. If designed for a box spring then a box spring must be used. If not, it can sit directly on a bed frame with slats, or if you want to use a metal frame, there are foundations which essentially look like a box spring but internally it’s a wood frame with slats on top.
Tree Guy

Post by Tree Guy »

student wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 1:25 pm
Tree Guy wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 6:58 pm A previous mattress thread had recommended this site - naplab.com

You answer a series of questions and he recommends a mattress for you. He was spot on for me.
He recommended Winkbed for me. What did he recommend for you?
The first recommendation was a Helix mattress that has excellent reviews. I wanted white glove delivery so he recommended the Saatva RX. By far my favorite mattress and excellent service.
Topic Author
student

Post by student »

Tree Guy wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 9:41 pm
Tree Guy wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 6:58 pm A previous mattress thread had recommended this site - naplab.com

You answer a series of questions and he recommends a mattress for you. He was spot on for me.
The first recommendation was a Helix mattress that has excellent reviews. I wanted white glove delivery so he recommended the Saatva RX. By far my favorite mattress and excellent service.
Thanks for the reply. For your Saatva mattress, did you get a foundation too?
Tree Guy

Post by Tree Guy »

student wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 9:52 pm

Yes, I use a traditional low profile foundation that I already had.
Topic Author
student

Post by student »

Tree Guy wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 5:59 pm
student wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 9:52 pm

Yes, I use a traditional low profile foundation that I already had.
Thanks for the info.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

OpenMinded1 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 10:02 am A little off topic, but I recently got a full size "mattress-in-a-box" from Casper. My wife and I weren't sure how we would get it to the bedroom, especially since my back was especially sore at about the time it was due to arrive. We live in a split-level house. However, we did it without any trouble. The mattress was in a box about 48" X 30" X 30". It wasn't nearly as awkward to move as a mattress not in a box. The way they prepped it for shipping was interesting. It came compressed in a thick, plastic bag. I think they compress them by sucking all the air out of the bag. The mattress was essentially vacuum packed. The mattress decompressed when we opened the bag. It expanded to the advertised dimensions.
My morning back pain completely went away after we got our original Casper mattress in 2019. Best mattress I’ve ever slept on.
PaddyMac

Post by PaddyMac »

We've had three beds from Sleep Number in 15 years and never again. The foam just collapses and you end up with a saggy middle, despite being at 100 (full pumped up). It's basically an overpriced air bed.

We recently bought a Casper bed (King) and are loving it. I'd rather spend less and be able to replace it whenever.