Summer job ideas for 14 year old

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ScubaHogg

Re: Summer job ideas for 14 year old

Post by ScubaHogg »

BeerTooth wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 12:56 pm
Halicar wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 12:21 pm
Jack FFR1846 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 7:27 pm Paper route
If this is a serious suggestion it is several decades out-of-date.
maybe the kid can apprentice for the local milkman
I heard the shoe shine stands were hiring
“Anyone may arrange his affairs so that his taxes shall be as low as possible; he is not bound to choose that pattern which best pays the treasury.” | ― Judge Learned Hand
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

Best option is probably cutting grass in the neighborhood.

Landscaping can be dangerous, prob best to keep him close to home.

A 14yr old in my area was killed operating dangerous equipment, very tragic incident. ( he should not have been allowed near this equipment, but of course hindsight is 20/20.)
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
oldfatguy

Post by oldfatguy »

ScubaHogg wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:02 pm
oldfatguy wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:44 am I find it interesting how many "lawn mowing" recommendations there are. I haven't seen a kid/teen mowing anyone's lawn (including their own) in decades.
Decades? Either hyperbole or you aren’t looking

Just a few years ago my neighbor’s teenage son mowed our yard
Not hyperbole - I just haven't seen it happening in the places I've lived. I certainly don't drive around town every weekend to check.
texasdiver

Post by texasdiver »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 7:27 pm Paper route
Paper carriers still exist but it is all early morning car delivery today. So few people get newspapers delivered these days that carrier routes are enormous and can only be done by car. So it is mostly adults doing big routes in the dark hours of the early morning.
bradinsky

Post by bradinsky »

fulltilt wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:55 am
bradinsky wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:19 pm Buy him a lawnmower. In our neighborhood he could make a small fortune, for a 14 year old. That’s one task that many of our neighbors & myself included don’t really mind paying for.
Totally agree!

It also a business that you can build up over time as you get more customers, you can buy bigger mowers and build it into something more substantial.

Over time, I watched a kid grow his mowing business from having to mow my lawn with MY mower to a full on landscaping business he operated through high school.
+1 Today, I think there are a lot of pampered kids. Some parents are reluctant to let their kids work & maybe get dirty. Hard work builds character.
SubPar

Post by SubPar »

Scooter17 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:36 pm Caddy, teaches a number of great lessons and you make straight cash!
Yep, this was my first job at 12. Didn't love waking up at 5am, but it wasn't a bad gig at all.
texasdiver

Post by texasdiver »

Having had 3 daughters (now ages 18-25) I would recommend the following for a 14 year old.

Settle on some skill you can market in your own neighborhood. Three good ideas are:
  • lawn mowing
  • dog walking
  • dog/pet sitting
But depending on your location there might be other ideas like snow shoveling, leaf raking, etc. 14 is probably a little young for baby sitting. I think 16 is more the minimum age for that unless you are right next door or something.

Design and print up some nice business cards with the name of your business on it and then go door-to-door in your neighborhood to hand them out. Most of your kindly neighbors will take the card and put it on their fridge or bulletin board until they need a dog sitter or some such and then call. Also have your fees worked out in advance because that is the first question many people will ask.

My oldest daughter did this when she was about 14 and kept herself busy doing dog walking and pet sitting in our neighborhood through middle school. There are actually a lot of people who work all day and keep dogs indoors who will hire the occasional dog walker, especially for days they are late from work. By HS after she could drive she switched more to after school baby sitting or nannying.
Topic Author
n171n

Post by n171n »

Just wanted to post an update to close the loop here. After a lot of hand wringing, DS just started this week at a local dairy farm bagging groceries, serving ice creams and milkshakes. The shock and disappointment when he came home after a 4 hour shift saying he only made $45 (including a $1 tip :P) was priceless and the exact education that I was hoping for him to receive from this experience. Very proud of him!
Gradient Descent

Post by Gradient Descent »

oldfatguy wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:27 pm
oldfatguy wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:44 am I find it interesting how many "lawn mowing" recommendations there are. I haven't seen a kid/teen mowing anyone's lawn (including their own) in decades.

Not hyperbole - I just haven't seen it happening in the places I've lived. I certainly don't drive around town every weekend to check.
Another anecdote, but I saw one of the local teenagers dragging around his lawnmower just recently.
Topic Author
n171n

Post by n171n »

Gradient Descent wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 8:07 pm
oldfatguy wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:27 pm

Another anecdote, but I saw one of the local teenagers dragging around his lawnmower just recently.
I'd suggested this to my son as well. He handed out flyers around the nearby neighborhoods, but didn't get any calls.

Probably for the best given the scorching summer we've been having here in PA
IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife »

n171n wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 7:42 pm Just wanted to post an update to close the loop here. After a lot of hand wringing, DS just started this week at a local dairy farm bagging groceries, serving ice creams and milkshakes. The shock and disappointment when he came home after a 4 hour shift saying he only made $45 (including a $1 tip :P) was priceless and the exact education that I was hoping for him to receive from this experience. Very proud of him!
Glad he found something!
"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore." Yogi Berra's financial wisdom.