Greece in August 24

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
lthenderson

Re: Greece in August 24

Post by lthenderson »

andyandyandy wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:33 pm
lthenderson wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:23 pm I didn't think to mention it earlier and it is probably true at any heavily tourist populated areas of the world, but beware of scam artists. I consider myself pretty savvy and still got hit up three different times during my week in Athens. The first scam were people standing along the paths offering you food samples, and then asking you to pay for them after you've eaten them. I just walked away. The second was a fellow who simply asked my daughter to hold up her finger so he could show her something neat. The next thing I know is he had bracelets around her arm and my other daughter and then wanted $40 Euros for them. I told him to cut them off. This went back and forth for a few minutes ruining our meal (we were at a sidewalk cafe) so I gave him $5 Euro and told him to scram which he did. Final scam was a guy who started a conversation with me and then realized his brother ran a restaurant near my hometown which I mistakenly volunteered to him. He wanted to write down his address so I could visit and say I has seen his brother but didn't have anything to write with. I ended up in a nearby bar where he wanted me to have a complementary drink before he would give me the address. At that point I knew it was a scam so walked out and went my way.
Wow! Thanks for the heads up!
Are there any tourist agencies that run the scam too- If I book the tour and it turns out they just got the money and disappeared?
I only took one tour through an agency and that was on the day we went to Delphi. We used GetYourGuide.com and had a great experience. For all our days in Athens, we were self guided. If you do go with a guided tour, I would just stay with well reviewed organizations and not arrange one on a street corner.
Topic Author
andyandyandy

Post by andyandyandy »

all set to go in August!

From which place I can get some Euro in advance in US?
wunwun1

Post by wunwun1 »

andyandyandy wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 4:42 pm all set to go in August!

Your bank will be happy to give you Euro at highly elevated rates.

Just ask them the round trip.
1/ how many dollar $ it will cost you to get €100. And
2/ how many dollars they will give you for a €100.

My advice. Get a no more than a €100 for incidentals and tips. For the rest, use your travel credit card. Most travel cc don't have international transaction fees.
chazas

Post by chazas »

I haven't been to Greece in decades, though we're going in late August also! I never bother getting currency in advance. Just use ATMs which despite often high fees are still cheaper than buying currency in the US. Also remember when using your credit card to ALWAYS pay in Euros, not dollars. They act like it's a convenience but really they're applying a much worse conversion rate than your card issuer will. And make sure your card doesn't have an additional foreign exchange fee.
Topic Author
andyandyandy

Post by andyandyandy »

Okay- Thanks!
LookinAround

Post by LookinAround »

andyandyandy wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:33 pm Hi everyone,
4. Second Island: Mykonos or Naxos for 2 nights (not interested in nightlife)?
I was in Santorini and Mykonos long ago. Loved both. Never had any problems. but fyi... perhaps it's just happening at DK Oyster in Mykonos but several people report being charged hundreds and hundreds of dollars for drink or food. Just a heads up to always, always check prices and don't assume it will be reasonable. Just one of the reports

Tourists horrified after notorious Mykonos beach restaurant charges them £690 for two drinks
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

We just got back from a wonderful Greece trip in May / June. We got euros from the Alpha Bank in Athens. We have the Schwab debit card so it was no problem...

I agree with others, do not get a car in Athens... We used the metro to get around and shared a Taxi to the airport with fellow tour members.

We went all over mainland Greece and the Peloponnese...

If you have other questions, feel free to ask...
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
RetireSoon90

Post by RetireSoon90 »

SimonJester wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 2:45 pm We just got back from a wonderful Greece trip in May / June. We got euros from the Alpha Bank in Athens. We have the Schwab debit card so it was no problem...

I agree with others, do not get a car in Athens... We used the metro to get around and shared a Taxi to the airport with fellow tour members.

How did you get around the rest of Greece? We are trying to figure out how to see Greece without renting a car. TIA!
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

RetireSoon90 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 5:29 am
SimonJester wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 2:45 pm We just got back from a wonderful Greece trip in May / June. We got euros from the Alpha Bank in Athens. We have the Schwab debit card so it was no problem...

How did you get around the rest of Greece? We are trying to figure out how to see Greece without renting a car. TIA!
In our case, we were on a Rick Steves tour (Highly recommend), so we had an amazing bus driver that navigated some really narrow roads. I think you would have to rent a car to travel through the mainland and Peloponnese, I would just not get one until you are ready to leave Athens...
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima »

Santorini is pretty a tourist hotspot. I would stay away from central and rent an ATV to get around the island. There are more Greek islands that are less tourist. I like Naxos island. Aug weather is still very hot in Greece. I like Sept.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

I would urge anyone planning a trip to consider current weather conditions.

It has been *hot* in southern and southeastern Europe this year. I mean really hot - record temperatures in some cases.

Athens in 40 degrees C (over 100 F) is really something. You would not want to do anything from around 11 am to after 5 pm.

I believe the Greek authorities have had to close the Acropolis at times due to excessive heat and the risk to tourists.

I think at least 4 tourists have died this year in Greece (including a well respected medical presenter from BBC television) -- go for walk in the mid day heat, get lost. This was in the countryside, admittedly.

OTOH I haven't heard of the huge wildfires that reached even the suburbs of Athens, in some previous summers.

https://www.bbc.com/weather/264371

https://www.wunderground.com/severe/gr/athens

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/fo ... 2024-07-11
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

We took a few hundred dollars in Euros which we got from our bank ahead of time. Other than buying trinkets from street vendors, we used credit cards wherever we went. We had to consciously use them up before we left to not end up with them.

P.s. Make sure you take advantage of the breakfast at Syngrou Fix. It was by far the best hotel breakfast buffet I’ve eaten at. It took several days before I had tried everything.
Topic Author
andyandyandy

Post by andyandyandy »

RetireSoon90 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 5:29 am

Thanks all! I have someone hired for all my planned visits in Santorini (and he will be flexible to changes). I changed my 2nd Island to Milos (not naxos any more) and have a rental car booked. Athens we are not renting anything and for Delphi/Meteora we have a private tour. If you need any contacts please PM me.