original equipment battery,2017 Avalon failing!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ekid

original equipment battery,2017 Avalon failing!

Post by ekid »

That'd make it 7years old. That's very satisfying.

I notice it is Maintainable- it has fill ports on top- I've not seen those in decades now. Not sure, think maybe I actually put some distilled water in some years ago. That would help it last...

Wonder how to buy an equal battery withOUT going to Toyota?
Teague

Re: original equipment battery,2017 Avalon failing!

Post by Teague »

There is nothing magical about OEM branded batteries, though they're often pretty good quality. Keep in mind that the rest of your electrical system was brand new when you got the car, too. In other words, the alternator was performing at brand-new 100% efficiency, extra resistance across connections and within circuits had not yet developed, etc. The whole electrical system was perfect. I believe (though I admittedly have no data) that these factors contribute to the original OEM battery typically lasting a respectably long time.

As far as a replacement, simply find the biggest, heaviest battery that will fit your car. For those looking for something that sounds a bit more official and less redneck than that, find the battery with the greatest amp-hour rating that will fit in your car. This will also be the biggest, heaviest, battery that will fit in the car, but it sounds better than asking for X pounds of battery when you buy your next one.
Semper Augustus
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

The 12V battery in my 2017 Avalon hybrid limited is an AGM battery, which should last about 7 years. In my hybrid, the traction battery,bit the 12V battery, starts the car.

You can get a 12V AGM battery at lots of places, Walmart has them, I assume Costco as well, or you could get one at AutoZone/NAPA/O'Reilly's or other auto parts stores.

In my car, the battery is in the trunk on the passenger side behind a panel.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

I would stay with the same battery tech (conventional, AGM, whatever) that the car came with, unless it has a feature to optimize charging for any battery technology, and you know how to configure that.

I recently had a battery (not AGM) last 8 years in somewhat horrible conditions (intermittent use, very high heat) with no signs of slowing down, and it wasn't OEM. I would have replaced it earlier but hadn't thought of it. The battery I replaced it with (same tech) died in only a little over a year.
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

Sometimes dealers have deals, like $199 for a battery replacement, I'd say it's competitive if you can get that, and, just maybe, they will try to keep it OEM looking. Also, Toyota dealer service departments usually follow the prescribed TIS procedures and handle any vehicle specific needs, like maintaining a low amperage current during the replacement and a new battery reset function in Techstream, should that be in the procedure.
Topic Author
ekid

Post by ekid »

There is nothing hybrid about this car. Very powerful V-6 Touring "edition".

Much more power than the muscle cars of the late '60s. And LED bulbs all around - I suppose the electrical demands are minimal? That would be something to consider in replacement alternator, but not battery?
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Go wherever you like and buy an AGM in size 24F. Your car can take 35 or 24F, and both are the same price at most places, but 24F has a higher capacity (710 vs. 650 CCA). There are only a few battery manufacturers, and it looks like most stores (Costco, Walmart, AutoZone, Advance Auto, etc) are selling the Johnson Controls 24F AGM, though O'Reilly and Sam's Club appear to be Deka/East Penn.

Sam's charges $200, and I assume Costco does as well (their battery site is down right now). Everyone else charges $260, unless you want one shipped (I would not) from Walmart for $180.
bd7

Post by bd7 »

ekid wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 12:30 pm Wonder how to buy an equal battery withOUT going to Toyota?
https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-Ma ... A/28275657
Teague

Post by Teague »

Note also that there are a few different "grades" or "lines" of batteries from each of the big manufacturers. This can muddy the waters comparing the same size battery from different retailers. For example, you might find the same size battery made by let's say East Penn, but labeled Delco at one outlet, Duracell at another, and HyperBunny at a third. If the CCA and AH ratings are the same, it's the same battery, no matter what label is on it.

Prices for identical batteries can vary based on the label, the retailer, and the warranty offered. Ideally forum member Sport will weigh in here at some point.
Semper Augustus
bobn60014

Post by bobn60014 »

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

Teague wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 12:51 pm There is nothing magical about OEM branded batteries, though they're often pretty good quality. Keep in mind that the rest of your electrical system was brand new when you got the car, too. In other words, the alternator was performing at brand-new 100% efficiency, extra resistance across connections and within circuits had not yet developed, etc. The whole electrical system was perfect. I believe (though I admittedly have no data) that these factors contribute to the original OEM battery typically lasting a respectably long time.

As far as a replacement, simply find the biggest, heaviest battery that will fit your car. For those looking for something that sounds a bit more official and less redneck than that, find the battery with the greatest amp-hour rating that will fit in your car. This will also be the biggest, heaviest, battery that will fit in the car, but it sounds better than asking for X pounds of battery when you buy your next one.
Great advice.
CuriousGeorgeTx

Post by CuriousGeorgeTx »

bd7 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 2:29 pm
ekid wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 12:30 pm Wonder how to buy an equal battery withOUT going to Toyota?
+1 Walmart is my car battery supplier of choice. You can get service / warranty claim virtually anywhere. Price is $75-100 less than the dealer. Batteries are made in the same factory as more expensive brands.

7 years is impressive.
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

That link goes to a regular Lead/Acid battery. If the car came with an AGM it should be replaced with an AGM (there is actually a Group 35 AGM shown as an alternate in my version of the Walmart web page).
It's not an engineering problem - Hersh Shefrin | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
sport

Post by sport »

I would suggest replacing with the same type and size battery that came with the car. There may be a choice of batteries that meet this description. The ones with the higher ratings will cost more and last longer. If the ratings are the same, there is no meaningful difference between brands. If you want to spend more than necessary, go to an Avalon dealer. If you replace it yourself, be sure to wear eye protection.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

David Jay wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 7:20 pm
That link goes to a regular Lead/Acid battery. If the car came with an AGM it should be replaced with an AGM (there is actually a Group 35 AGM shown as an alternate in my version of the Walmart web page).
If you read the original post, isn't it obvious that the OEM battery is NOT an ACM?
bd7

Post by bd7 »

David Jay wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 7:20 pm If the car came with an AGM it should be replaced with an AGM (there is actually a Group 35 AGM shown as an alternate in my version of the Walmart web page).
The OP reports that his original battery has fill ports and that he has added water to it, so it's not AGM.
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

neilpilot wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 7:50 pm
David Jay wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 7:20 pm
If you read the original post, isn't it obvious that the OEM battery is NOT an ACM?
My bad, the comment by MathWizard threw me off. (and the fact that my 2019 non-hybrid vehicle has an AGM)
It's not an engineering problem - Hersh Shefrin | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius