[On-going Scams - Post them here]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
sport

Re: [On-going Scams - Post them here]

Post by sport »

bople wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 9:26 am
heartwood wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 8:26 am Similarly, I'm now getting more than a couple of texts a day telling me to send money to support one political party or the other. Most come flagged as probable spam by my google text app. Always different numbers, so its probably not worth blocking the number, just delete.
If they are legitimate political texts, responding with STOP will prevent them from texting you again.

If they are spam, please report them to your carrier with whatever carrier specific method they request. It does help stop future spam texts from making it through. The carrier filters can't get better if you don't report it to them.
How would you know if they are legitimate? I consider all of them to be spam so I block them and report them.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

sport wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 11:51 am
bople wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 9:26 am
heartwood wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 8:26 am Similarly, I'm now getting more than a couple of texts a day telling me to send money to support one political party or the other. Most come flagged as probable spam by my google text app. Always different numbers, so its probably not worth blocking the number, just delete.
If they are legitimate political texts, responding with STOP will prevent them from texting you again.

If they are spam, please report them to your carrier with whatever carrier specific method they request. It does help stop future spam texts from making it through. The carrier filters can't get better if you don't report it to them.
How would you know if they are legitimate? I consider all of them to be spam so I block them and report them.
Bople/sport, I don't have as much faith as you in responding STOP or reporting them. Several recent texts are from my actual Congressman. I've used STOP with him in the past for texts with no results. He also continues to send me emails ignoring my requests to unsubscribe. Same with an old cell number I moved to Google voice; he keeps calling with recorded messages.

I now have a email rule that skips the inbox and deletes him. For the actual spam texts from him and others, I'd be reporting several every day. I used to report junk USPS mail, spam calls, spam emails, and flag spam texts. Now it's the equivalent of the trash can for junk mail => delete or don't answer the phone unless they're in your contacts.

Perhaps another example of the tragedy of the commons?
Parkinglotracer

Post by Parkinglotracer »

RickBoglehead wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 7:24 am
Parkinglotracer wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 7:07 am Thanks I didn't know tire rack gave a 5% discount to veterans! Just saw that.
Discount Tire.
Yes discount tire / thanks !
BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 »

Horrific story in the WSJ about an elderly man getting scammed and losing a lot of money:
‘She Hooked Me’: How an Online Scam Cost a Senior Citizen His Life’s Savings
She convinced him she was a rich young Chinese immigrant looking for love. After bleeding him dry, she ghosted him. He still longs for her.
https://www.wsj.com/arts-culture/books/ ... _permalink
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 18-time loser
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

BigFoot48 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 4:54 pm Horrific story in the WSJ about an elderly man getting scammed and losing a lot of money:
‘She Hooked Me’: How an Online Scam Cost a Senior Citizen His Life’s Savings
She convinced him she was a rich young Chinese immigrant looking for love. After bleeding him dry, she ghosted him. He still longs for her.
https://www.wsj.com/arts-culture/books/ ... _permalink
Just simply awful.

The poor man lost $715,000, nearly all of his money, in just over two months.

Classic “pig butchering”.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
oko

Post by oko »

Got a call from Amazon at 3am last night (6 calls). Automated message said "your password is being changed. Press 1 if this is you, 2 otherwise". I pressed 1 (obviously). And then it said "if you don't want to change your password, enter the 6 digit OTP code". That made me realize that this was a scam call. I hung up, went to my Amazon account, logged out of all sessions and changed my password.

So the rule is "if you did not initiate it, never give your OTP do anyone else".

The phone number was from Arizona: (520) 482-3500. Web search yields nothing about this number.
MidwestMike

Post by MidwestMike »

oko wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 9:37 am I pressed 1 (obviously).
Don’t press anything. EVER.
telemark

Post by telemark »

And old scam, apparently, but new to me. Got a text message this morning from the post office, saying they had a package but needed me to correct the address. Not being at my sharpest just then, I dutifully clicked on the link and entered my name and address. Didn't get suspicious until they asked for a credit card, then looked more carefully at the URL, did some web searching and found

https://www.uspis.gov/news/scam-article ... text-scams

and

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/usps- ... sage-scam/

So I forwarded the message and phone number to 7726 and reported it as spam in the SMS app. At least they didn't get anything that isn't already public information. And I learned a new word, smish, that's fun to say. Smish, smish...
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

^^^

I got the same one this morning. I do not recall getting it previously. I did not click the link, but I did report it and blocked the number.
vfinx

Post by vfinx »

Got a phone call from someone claiming to be from a bank where we do have an account. They said that someone had opened a new credit card account and charged thousands of dollars onto it. The caller ID did match a known number for the bank. They had our home address, phone number and name, which they tried to use as proof that the call is valid.

We were suspicious from the start and terminated the call pretty quickly, and went to the bank (physical branch) to confirm that no new accounts were opened. I’m not sure what they were going to try.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

vfinx wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 11:41 pm Got a phone call from someone claiming to be from a bank where we do have an account. They said that someone had opened a new credit card account and charged thousands of dollars onto it. The caller ID did match a known number for the bank. They had our home address, phone number and name, which they tried to use as proof that the call is valid.

We were suspicious from the start and terminated the call pretty quickly, and went to the bank (physical branch) to confirm that no new accounts were opened. I’m not sure what they were going to try.
The scam in this case is usually that they need your help to catch the crooks, so you need to transfer your money out to a special account temporarily so they can catch them red-handed. Of course you never see your money again. I think that’s how it goes.
Able was I ere I saw Elba
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

Nicolas wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 7:57 am
vfinx wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 11:41 pm Got a phone call from someone claiming to be from a bank where we do have an account. They said that someone had opened a new credit card account and charged thousands of dollars onto it. The caller ID did match a known number for the bank. They had our home address, phone number and name, which they tried to use as proof that the call is valid.

The scam in this case is usually that they need your help to catch the crooks, so you need to transfer your money out to a special account temporarily so they can catch them red-handed. Of course you never see your money again. I think that’s how it goes.
Or withdraw to cash, buy gift cards, and read the gift card info to scammers.
scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 »

Someone posted this last year, but I'll mention it again because I am a frequent reader of that very informative subReddit:

https://old.reddit.com/r/Scams/

These scams are mentioned all the time, many of them several times a day. There are auto-moderator entries for lots of them which generate automatic replies explaining the scam.
vfinx

Post by vfinx »

bluebolt wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 9:15 am

Thanks. I think our biggest mistake was answering the call to begin with. The person at the physical branch that we spoke to said that there’s almost no scenario where the bank would call in that fashion.
SnowBog

Post by SnowBog »

vfinx wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 3:25 pm
bluebolt wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 9:15 am

Thanks. I think our biggest mistake was answering the call to begin with. The person at the physical branch that we spoke to said that there’s almost no scenario where the bank would call in that fashion.
^ This is solid advice!
sergeant

Post by sergeant »

My 85 year old MIL was approached by a guy with a Jamaican accent while exiting her car in a grocery store parking lot. He asked her for directions to a church cause he had a bag of cash he wanted to donate. He showed her the bag. She thought it looked like cut up newspapers.
He told her she was a wonderful Christian woman and he would like to bless her with half of his bag of cash. She just had to go to her ATM, withdraw $500 and add it to his bag of cash. She didn't fall for it.
It's an old Jamaican scam. I investigated a bunch of them when I was working.
For the ashes of his fathers, And the temples of his gods. | Pensions= 2X yearly expenses. Portfolio= 40X yearly expenses.
Mike83

Post by Mike83 »

I fell for scam from justanswer.com. They post ads adjacent to user inputs on websites of personal interest. Their ads offer assistance in navigating issues on the site you are viewing, making you think it it's for that site. I clicked it and went through some chatbot prelim stuff, likely AI. Said my query required a computer tech, and they would connect me to solve the problem after I authorized a $1 fully reversible charge. Sadly, I did that. Then I got a text from my bank, which was aware of the fraud, asking if I had authorized a $55 dollar monthly membership charge. Rejecting the charge, which I did, led to deactivation and replacement of the card. The justanswer.com site became total gibberish at that point, and would provide no useful information. It would not provide company legal name or phone contact or manage the charge.

On the BBB review site, it's evident this scam is ongoing, and a daily occurrence. Their response to each review is to AI apologize for the 'misunderstanding'.

I see that Charles Schwab is on their board of directors, so I have reached out to him as well as the attorney general in my state.

As a business owner I get dozens of invoice scams and contract docsign scams a month, and I think I'm pretty smart about these things. But my genZ daughter commiserated that when you get so many, it's only a matter of time before you fall for one of them. Beware.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

Mike83 wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 9:28 pm I fell for scam from justanswer.com. They post ads adjacent to user inputs on websites of personal interest. Their ads offer assistance in navigating issues on the site you are viewing, making you think it it's for that site. I clicked it and went through some chatbot prelim stuff, likely AI. Said my query required a computer tech, and they would connect me to solve the problem after I authorized a $1 fully reversible charge. Sadly, I did that. Then I got a text from my bank, which was aware of the fraud, asking if I had authorized a $55 dollar monthly membership charge. Rejecting the charge, which I did, led to deactivation and replacement of the card. The justanswer.com site became total gibberish at that point, and would provide no useful information. It would not provide company legal name or phone contact or manage the charge.
Are you sure it was the bank contacting you? Have you reached out to the bank to verify that the card has been cancelled and reissued? Some banks do have text fraud alerts like that, but it's also a common follow-up on a scam to spoof text messages from the bank ("smishing"). I'd recommend contacting the bank, by either going in to a branch in person or by contacting the number on the back of your card, to verify the card has been deactivated due to fraud.