Book recommendations

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Mikeygaro

Book recommendations

Post by Mikeygaro »

Hi yall! I’m a 25 year old male- in the military and I’ve been investing for the last 3 years. I wouldn’t consider myself at the beginner level of personal finance (but just slightly above) I understand how to save, I know a bit about investing but,

I am looking for personal finance book recommendations

I have read I will teach you to be rich, rich, dad, poor dad, the money answer book, the Bogleheads guide to investing, the psychology of money, the richest man in Babylon, the millionaire next-door, and the simple path to wealth. I am just looking for a few more books to add to the queue!
windaar

Re: Book recommendations

Post by windaar »

It's cool that you want to read more, but the complete gist of successful finance and investing is really contained in two books you have already read, The Millionaire Next Door and The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing, 2nd. ed. I think the least helpful is Rich Dad Poor Dad which uses circular logic, vague and questionable anecdotes, and unfounded assertions. The author of that books seems to have made most of his money through selling his system rather than investing itself.
Nobody knows nothing.
puravida23

Post by puravida23 »

A "Random Walk Down Wall Street" by Burton G. Malkiel. Look for a 50th Anniversary edition.
Chv396

Post by Chv396 »

“Four Pillars of Investing” and “Intelligent Asset Allocator”, by William Bernstein. “Intelligent Asset Allocator” was written in 2009, it may be dated. I still enjoyed reading the book.

“Elements of Investing” and “Winning the Losers Game”, by Charles D. Ellis

“Stocks for the Long Run”, by Jeremy Siegel

“The Intelligent Investor”, by Benjamin Graham

“Stay the Course”, by John C. Bogle
“Stay the Course” - My Portfolio (BND, VOO, VT, VXUS) Spouse’s Portfolio (VEA, VGSH, VOO)
Eagle33

Post by Eagle33 »

yankees60

Post by yankees60 »

puravida23 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 3:34 pm A "Random Walk Down Wall Street" by Burton G. Malkiel. Look for a 50th Anniversary edition.
Over the years I think I have read at least 5 different versions of that book so I also highly recommend it. Each succeeding edition has had significant revisions to it.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
yankees60

Post by yankees60 »

Chv396 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 3:39 pm “Four Pillars of Investing” and “Intelligent Asset Allocator”, by William Bernstein. “Intelligent Asset Allocator” was written in 2009, it may be dated. I still enjoyed reading the book.

I concur with the current edition of the 4 pillars of investing which came out a year ago. After waiting in agony for the kindle version of it to finally come out I read it twice in 4 days!
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

I actually recommend reading lots of fiction. I would have been better off if I bought the S&P 500 and turned off the noise. The risk with reading investment books is that after a read you might second guess yourself. So choose carefully.
yankees60

Post by yankees60 »

rockstar wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 2:05 pm I actually recommend reading lots of fiction. I would have been better off if I bought the S&P 500 and turned off the noise. The risk with reading investment books is that after a read you might second guess yourself. So choose carefully.
I would trust anything written by the following 4 who are on my personal finance mount Rushmore

Allan Roth

Mike piper

William Bernstein

Michael Kitces

The 1st three make appearances in this forum As participants just like you and me.
Topic Author
Mikeygaro

Post by Mikeygaro »

Thanks everyone!
Chv396

Post by Chv396 »

I really enjoy the writing style of Dr. William Bernstein. Very informative and humorous at times.
yankees60 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 2:04 pm
Chv396 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 3:39 pm “Four Pillars of Investing” and “Intelligent Asset Allocator”, by William Bernstein. “Intelligent Asset Allocator” was written in 2009, it may be dated. I still enjoyed reading the book.

I concur with the current edition of the 4 pillars of investing which came out a year ago. After waiting in agony for the kindle version of it to finally come out I read it twice in 4 days!
“Stay the Course” - My Portfolio (BND, VOO, VT, VXUS) Spouse’s Portfolio (VEA, VGSH, VOO)