Best suv lane-keeping systems?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
AnEngineer

Re: Best suv lane-keeping systems?

Post by AnEngineer »

RationalWalk wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 7:54 am We're not talking about a great distance here. Presumably, the vehicle won't travel very far before it slows and stops in an emergency or the driver remains inattentive. Not likely the lane-keeping will make a fatal error within that span, IMO and can safely remain on.
It sounds like you may be thinking about this in an accumulated distance sort of way. So that if the car drives a short distance it will be safe, but if it drives far it is likely to have an issue. It's much more systematic. Outside of more random component failures (e.g. sensors), there are certain scenarios where it is more likely (or even guaranteed) to fail.

In my experience lane keeping systems have a hard time with lane splits, construction, and when other cars are driving shifted over from where the lanes are. This isn't meant to mean these particular scenarios are always problems, but that these systems don't fail randomly but when their Achilles heel is exposed.
Topic Author
RationalWalk

Post by RationalWalk »

AnEngineer wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 10:42 am
RationalWalk wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 7:54 am
How Active Emergency Stop Assist works

Active Emergency Stop Assist goes several steps further (as long as Active Steering Assist is on). When the driver is no longer interacting with the steering wheel, the system flashes a light and sounds a tone to alert the driver to return his or her hands to the steering wheel. If the driver still doesn’t respond, the system applies the brakes. As it slows, the systems maintains the lane in which the vehicle is already traveling.

When the vehicle’s speed drops below 37 mph, the system switches on the hazard flashers to alert vehicles traveling behind that a stop is imminent. The car then comes to a complete stop, at which point the parking brake automatically engages and an emergency call goes out. The doors unlock automatically, too, to allow access to first responders should medical attention be necessary.

This system certainly covers someone who has fallen asleep at the wheel. But it also greatly improves overall road safety in the event that a driver has a medical emergency in which limited capacity or loss of consciousness pose a threat to the driver and other motorists.
It's still not clear that this increases overall safety. I am surprised to see this is how some cars act. I suppose I'm glad to know, because otherwise I would put the probability of there being a solitary car that's physically intact stopped inside a lane on the freeway at 0. I'm surprised the car can legally be programmed to do such a dangerous maneuver for other vehicles. I am also surprised that it would drive at 43mph below the speed limit (80mph - 37 mph) without flashers.

I expect that when these systems cause someone else to crash or die, they'll be reeevaluated.
I'm still amazed that you would think that bringing a vehicle to a stop in the lane it is traveling is a worse idea than shutting off the system entirely and just letting the vehicle sail down the road under no control with an incapacitated driver. If I became suddenly impaired but could still drive somewhat, I think I'd try to stop the car and turn on my hazard lights if I still could. Haven't you ever seen anybody do that? Stuff happens like that, it doesn't invariably cause a horrific pile up on the road. But a speeding car out of control probably would. :confused
“Meteorologists” are the MOST accurate predictors of the future -- for the next 3-days...
Topic Author
RationalWalk

Post by RationalWalk »

Apparently, all the major brands except Honda/Acura and Kia/Genesis have opted to provide Active Emergency Stop in their autopilot systems. My thought is that, if a car manufacturer provides autopilot that any doofus can easily use, then they are obligated to provide a safety cushion when the system disengages -- said doofus may not even know that's happened. Most major brands have apparently opted to provide an Active Emergency Stop capability instead of just switching the autopilot off. My Honda has apparently opted to not provide that, and also not to provide clear and distinct warning that the system has disengaged. You get a short warning light on the dash which it's possible to ignore (it's the same light that comes on when you cross a lane without signaling), then a quick beep at the same time the system is turned off. Not great engineering, IMO. Honda makes some nice cars, and I've driven them for years. But it always seems they get something wrong that either doesn't bother you or you decide to live with.
“Meteorologists” are the MOST accurate predictors of the future -- for the next 3-days...
Topic Author
RationalWalk

Post by RationalWalk »

I can find no evidence that Nissan/Infiniti have Active Emergency Stopping capability. Perhaps someone can confirm.
alexbogle

Post by alexbogle »

BogleMelon wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 11:44 am
alexbogle wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 3:40 pm Definitely not subaru
I don't agree. I have a 2022 Forester and I love the Subaru eyesight system.
Ours worked great on good roads with clear markings. But a few times we had the wheel jerk because it was confused, mostly in construction zones where markings were being redone, and decided the system was not worth having on.

Does yours have more natural behavior when in constructions zones and other places where the markings may be confusing for a sight system?
"Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others. It’s cheaper!” -- Jack Bogle
mrmass

Post by mrmass »

Ours worked great on good roads with clear markings. But a few times we had the wheel jerk because it was confused, mostly in construction zones where markings were being redone, and decided the system was not worth having on.

Does yours have more natural behavior when in constructions zones and other places where the markings may be confusing for a sight system?
I had similar issues in construction zones with my 2024 Venza. Merged into a single lane that felt like it was just barely wide enough. Half ass lines, wheel jerked slightly. After that I turned it off.
Last edited by mrmass on Mon Jul 08, 2024 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LISD

Post by LISD »

These systems are far from perfect. An example from a drive this past weekend:

I was on the freeway with a car ahead of me - it was maybe 1 car length ahead. A motorcyclist started passing us, straddling the lane divider: between the cars. To give him room, I steered to the right side of my lane. The lane-keeping assist reacted by nudging the car back to, and past the center of the lane, heading for the motorcycle. I had to manhandle the wheel to make sure it didn't overshoot and take-out the guy on the motorcycle.

I don't think motorcyclists are aware of the dangers of these systems.
Topic Author
RationalWalk

Post by RationalWalk »

LISD wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 12:18 pm These systems are far from perfect. An example from a drive this past weekend:

I was on the freeway with a car ahead of me - it was maybe 1 car length ahead. A motorcyclist started passing us, straddling the lane divider: between the cars. To give him room, I steered to the right side of my lane. The lane-keeping assist reacted by nudging the car back to, and past the center of the lane, heading for the motorcycle. I had to manhandle the wheel to make sure it didn't overshoot and take-out the guy on the motorcycle.

Some systems offer "collaborative driving" and won't fight you when you take over steering. Hopefully this will become more common.
Topic Author
RationalWalk

Post by RationalWalk »

From the Subaru Drivers Manual:
Emergency Stop Assist
This driving support system is intended to reduce the risk of accidents in the event that the driver can no longer operate the vehicle, for example due to a medical emergency. If the system determines that the driver is incapacitated based on steering operation, or the Driver Monitoring System (if equipped), etc., it slows down and then stops the vehicle in the driving lane. While Lane Centering Function is operating, if the system does not detect steering operation or the driver’s state for a certain period of time, or if it detects driver inattention, that the driver has fallen asleep or has unfastened the driver’s seatbelt, sounds and warning screens are used to urge the driver to operate the steering wheel or to operate the steering wheel while keeping their eyes on the road. If the system still cannot detect steering operation or steering operation while the driver’s eyes are on the road, it determines that the driver is incapacitated and slows down and then stops the vehicle in the driving lane while continuing to urge the driver to operate the steering wheel or to operate the steering wheel while keeping their eyes on the road. After the vehicle has stopped, the hazard warning flashers are used to alert trailing and surrounding vehicles of the emergency situation, and all doors (including the rear gate) are automatically unlocked.
The system also makes an emergency call after the vehicle has stopped.  Refer to the Owner’s Manual supplement for SUBARU STARLINK.
https://cdn.subarunet.com/stis/doc/owne ... S-opt.pdf

Add Subaru to the :idea: list.
cmr79

Post by cmr79 »

LISD wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 12:18 pm These systems are far from perfect. An example from a drive this past weekend:

I imagine motorcyclists and bicyclists are much harder for ADAS to pick up reliably vs other full sized vehicles. It doesn't help either when they drive in an unsafe manner, which may lessen the probability that ADAS identifies them and can react appropriately in a timely manner.
Topic Author
RationalWalk

Post by RationalWalk »

Jeep with optional Hands-Free ADA on certain trims:
For Hands-Free ADA, if the driver does not take control of the vehicle, the system will perform a Stop-In-Lane maneuver. Once the vehicle is at a standstill, the vehicle will be shifted to PARK and the Electric Park Brake (EPB) will be applied. Then, the vehicle will attempt to place an emergency call through the Assist and SOS system. If a Stop-In-Lane maneuver is completed, the system will be unavailable until the ignition is cycled OFF, then back to ON.
https://www.jeep.com/content/dam/fca-br ... 061423.pdf

:idea: list is getting longer.
Topic Author
RationalWalk

Post by RationalWalk »

Trying to research Kia by spooling through the endless Driver Manual. It's remarkably vague about what happens if you aren't gripping the steering wheel when the assistive driving system is on. Apparently, it disengages lane-keeping and "limits" cruise control speed. This agrees with what CR says, which clarifies that speed is limited to 40 mph but not turned off. So, it appears that if you're incapacitated you'll be in a vehicle with no lane-keeping going 40 mph until it finally smashes into something. Brilliant!
LISD

Post by LISD »

RationalWalk wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 4:38 pm So, it appears that if you're incapacitated
The goal of these systems is NOT to eliminate risks associated with an incapacitated driver. However, it's still better than crashing at 70mph, so I would call this a win!
LISD

Post by LISD »

RationalWalk wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 12:59 pm

Some systems offer "collaborative driving" and won't fight you when you take over steering. Hopefully this will become more common.
Hopefully these systems will be backward compatible - with a software change (but I doubt Lexus will offer that on my RX).

BTW - on the same trip I had a similar situation when I moved over in the lane, to the left, due to a car on the side of the road. So this feature doesn't seem well implemented now. However, adaptive radar cruise control is faaantastic.
Topic Author
RationalWalk

Post by RationalWalk »

Looks like Toyota/Lexus safety system is a few miles ahead of Honda/RDX. Rav4 might be due for an upgrade for 2025 and might be the one to watch.
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

alexbogle wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 12:10 pm
BogleMelon wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 11:44 am
alexbogle wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 3:40 pm Definitely not subaru
I don't agree. I have a 2022 Forester and I love the Subaru eyesight system.

No. But I can usually see those from a distance and disengage the lane centering temporarily while keeping the adaptive cruise control on
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather
harikaried

Post by harikaried »

harrychan wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 2:20 pm
livesoft wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 1:54 pmTesla for sure.
This. I've never been more stress free and relaxed going on road trips on my Model Y. It's not hands free
Tesla just started updating customer vehicles to Vision-Based Attention Monitoring instead of the torque-based steering wheel detection. Tesla doesn't call it hands free as there probably are situations it still wants to make sure your hands are on the wheel, but early reports are people making full trips without touching. We saw early signs of this vision monitoring when they added Driver Drowsiness Warning.

Tesla probably is quite confident in their system and from my experience in using it on roads with faded or even no lines at 70+ mph curving interstates, it is indeed very impressive. We had a car rental recently and tested out Toyota's lane keeping, and while it was fine in good simple conditions, a little bit of rain confused it perhaps with spray blocking a clear view of lead vehicle tires (as the rest of the lead vehicle was visible but the system didn't like it).
AnEngineer

Post by AnEngineer »

RationalWalk wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 10:55 am I'm still amazed that you would think that bringing a vehicle to a stop in the lane it is traveling is a worse idea than shutting off the system entirely and just letting the vehicle sail down the road under no control with an incapacitated driver. If I became suddenly impaired but could still drive somewhat, I think I'd try to stop the car and turn on my hazard lights if I still could. Haven't you ever seen anybody do that? Stuff happens like that, it doesn't invariably cause a horrific pile up on the road. But a speeding car out of control probably would. :confused
It all depends on whose perspective we're taking and what the situation is.

If I'm alone on a road and fall asleep, sure, I'd prefer my car stop for me instead of driving off into a ditch.

But I can't think of a situation where a driver would deliberately park a car on the freeway unless there's something wrong with the car or there's traffic physically preventing changing lanes. Even when I've lost all power I was able to pull over to the side. I would not expect to find a car alone stopped on the freeway without some clue as go it being possible. This makes it a very dangerous place to be. Other drivers don't expect it and drive accordingly.

As the driver, if I know the car will stop for me so I drive when drowsy when I otherwise wouldn't and end up getting rear ended then I'm worse off with the feature. Also, whoever hits me is worse off.

There are reasonable arguments that if such a feature causes a crash with a higher occupancy vehicle, then it would be better if the car had instead driven off the road.

Maybe you're focused on different roads for some reason, but many (most?) places if you keep going the same speed but stop steering you're going to end up off the road in a one vehicle collision. This is much safer for everyone else than parking in the roadway. If you drive off the road it's a question of whether they're someone you may on the way. If you park on the road it's a question of what happens when someone comes along.
RationalWalk wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 11:20 am My thought is that, if a car manufacturer provides autopilot that any doofus can easily use, then they are obligated to provide a safety cushion when the system disengages -- said doofus may not even know that's happened. Most major brands have apparently opted to provide an Active Emergency Stop capability instead of just switching the autopilot off. My Honda has apparently opted to not provide that, and also not to provide clear and distinct warning that the system has disengaged. You get a short warning light on the dash which it's possible to ignore (it's the same light that comes on when you cross a lane without signaling), then a quick beep at the same time the system is turned off. Not great engineering, IMO.
Perhaps a quibble: these are not autopilot systems as in airplanes. They all require constant human attention.

I'm surprised Honda would so be so subtle about turning off. I think this describes your real problem. If I don't hold my Toyota's steering wheel, it'll eventually beep so loud as to wake up anyone in the car. It's actually kind of annoying, but it's very clear.
Onlineid3089

Post by Onlineid3089 »

LISD wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 5:20 pm

Hopefully these systems will be backward compatible - with a software change (but I doubt Lexus will offer that on my RX).

BTW - on the same trip I had a similar situation when I moved over in the lane, to the left, due to a car on the side of the road. So this feature doesn't seem well implemented now. However, adaptive radar cruise control is faaantastic.
Your Lexus must push the steering wheel a lot harder than my Honda. If I change lanes without using the signal for whatever reason mine wiggles the steering wheel and gives a slight nudge back to the original lane, which would re-center the truck in the original lane if I'm not steering against it. However, that in no way over powers my steering input and the truck still easily changes lanes with no issues if I'm actively steering it over the line. Absolutely no man handling required on my Ridgeline, YMMV.
Topic Author
RationalWalk

Post by RationalWalk »

AnEngineer wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 10:07 am
RationalWalk wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 10:55 am I'm still amazed that you would think that bringing a vehicle to a stop in the lane it is traveling is a worse idea than shutting off the system entirely and just letting the vehicle sail down the road under no control with an incapacitated driver. If I became suddenly impaired but could still drive somewhat, I think I'd try to stop the car and turn on my hazard lights if I still could. Haven't you ever seen anybody do that? Stuff happens like that, it doesn't invariably cause a horrific pile up on the road. But a speeding car out of control probably would. :confused
It all depends on whose perspective we're taking and what the situation is.

If I'm alone on a road and fall asleep, sure, I'd prefer my car stop for me instead of driving off into a ditch.

But I can't think of a situation where a driver would deliberately park a car on the freeway unless there's something wrong with the car or there's traffic physically preventing changing lanes. Even when I've lost all power I was able to pull over to the side. I would not expect to find a car alone stopped on the freeway without some clue as go it being possible. This makes it a very dangerous place to be. Other drivers don't expect it and drive accordingly.

As the driver, if I know the car will stop for me so I drive when drowsy when I otherwise wouldn't and end up getting rear ended then I'm worse off with the feature. Also, whoever hits me is worse off.

There are reasonable arguments that if such a feature causes a crash with a higher occupancy vehicle, then it would be better if the car had instead driven off the road.

Maybe you're focused on different roads for some reason, but many (most?) places if you keep going the same speed but stop steering you're going to end up off the road in a one vehicle collision. This is much safer for everyone else than parking in the roadway. If you drive off the road it's a question of whether they're someone you may on the way. If you park on the road it's a question of what happens when someone comes along.
RationalWalk wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 11:20 am My thought is that, if a car manufacturer provides autopilot that any doofus can easily use, then they are obligated to provide a safety cushion when the system disengages -- said doofus may not even know that's happened. Most major brands have apparently opted to provide an Active Emergency Stop capability instead of just switching the autopilot off. My Honda has apparently opted to not provide that, and also not to provide clear and distinct warning that the system has disengaged. You get a short warning light on the dash which it's possible to ignore (it's the same light that comes on when you cross a lane without signaling), then a quick beep at the same time the system is turned off. Not great engineering, IMO.
Perhaps a quibble: these are not autopilot systems as in airplanes. They all require constant human attention.

I'm surprised Honda would so be so subtle about turning off. I think this describes your real problem. If I don't hold my Toyota's steering wheel, it'll eventually beep so loud as to wake up anyone in the car. It's actually kind of annoying, but it's very clear.
Me, I'd prefer to have an assisted driving system that will bring the vehicle to a stop in the lane it's traveling if it detects that I'm not responsive vs. the alternative of just disengaging it. Admittedly, that's not ideal but I don't like the alternative. If I'm incapacitated or asleep (uh oh) I'd rather take my chances stopping in the highway with my emergency flashers going than sailing down the road in a speeding vehicle with no steering. If it happens because I fell asleep, that could have been avoided obviously. Whether these systems actually encourage more irresponsible driving is an important concern. There is evidence that they do, I believe.

As for me personally I'd prefer to have an emergency stop system on my vehicle because I'm getting older and do think about the possibility of medical emergencies while driving for myself or my peers. Hopefully, more and more self-driving technology isn't going to encourage seniles to keep driving when they shouldn't, but it probably will. But maybe they'll kill fewer people when they do. There's a good side and bad side for sure. I think that's been the case with new technologies most of time.

At any rate, my research revealed to me that a lot of brands now have emergency stop included in their assistive driving systems so it's here whether we like it or not. Of major brands, it looks like just Honda/Acura and Hyundai/Kia/Genesis don't have it now but I'll bet they will soon.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

I love the idea of full self driving cars. I’m ready. I want little kids to drive themselves to school. I want my car to safely bring me home when I’m completely blitzed. I want to be able to “retrieve my demented par ents” when they get lost on the highway.

We just aren’t there yet. The cars aren’t perfect. And there is no perfect answer yet for what should happen when somebody dies while driving. It’s all trade offs. But nothing out there today strikes me as being worse than “nothing”.

And we tend to compare all of this to our ideal vision of what drivers should be, rather than what they are. They are inattentive. They are distracted. They have deficient eye sight. Some can’t turn their heads very far. A lot were always bad drivers. As drivers, we actually suck. We keep making bett3 and safer cars, and we still screw it up and kill each other.

I love my Tesla auto pilot. It’s not perfect either, for sure. But it’s awesome, and I know that every other carmaker will eventually surpass that. And I’m here for it.
harikaried

Post by harikaried »

RationalWalk wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 6:33 pmThen maybe throw in activating your hazard light too. Frankly this seems like such a no-brainer, even I think it's a good idea.
Tesla does this as part of the Driver Attentiveness:

"If you don't resume manual steering, Autosteer sounds a continuous chime, turns on the warning flashers, and slows the vehicle to a complete stop."

Some of your Consumer Reports article links were from years ago, and at least Tesla keeps updating for free the capabilities and safety of existing vehicles even those older than the articles. I'm not sure what's the update frequency or cost for other vehicles, but that will also affect how quickly the articles become outdated. Although even Tesla's owner manual doesn't yet reflect the brand new Vision-Based Attention Monitoring that started going out a few days ago.
Topic Author
RationalWalk

Post by RationalWalk »

harikaried wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 12:55 pm
RationalWalk wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 6:33 pmThen maybe throw in activating your hazard light too. Frankly this seems like such a no-brainer, even I think it's a good idea.
Tesla does this as part of the Driver Attentiveness:

"If you don't resume manual steering, Autosteer sounds a continuous chime, turns on the warning flashers, and slows the vehicle to a complete stop."

Some of your Consumer Reports article links were from years ago, and at least Tesla keeps updating for free the capabilities and safety of existing vehicles even those older than the articles. I'm not sure what's the update frequency or cost for other vehicles, but that will also affect how quickly the articles become outdated. Although even Tesla's owner manual doesn't yet reflect the brand new Vision-Based Attention Monitoring that started going out a few days ago.
I owned the last-gen CRV from 2017-2024, and now the current gen 2024. The assisted drive system hasn't changed a whit in all that time and doesn't perform any better (in fact, I believe the lane-keeping is worse but maybe that's just my vehicle).
LISD

Post by LISD »

Onlineid3089 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 10:18 am
LISD wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 5:20 pm

Your Lexus must push the steering wheel a lot harder than my Honda. If I change lanes without using the signal for whatever reason mine wiggles the steering wheel and gives a slight nudge back to the original lane, which would re-center the truck in the original lane if I'm not steering against it. However, that in no way over powers my steering input and the truck still easily changes lanes with no issues if I'm actively steering it over the line. Absolutely no man handling required on my Ridgeline, YMMV.
Maybe I can decrease the sensitivity. I'll have to find out.