Who's up for pickleball? Zero-zero-two. Game On!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Cruise

Re: Who's up for pickleball? Zero-zero-two. Game On!

Post by Cruise »

Chardo wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:01 am How do you tactfully tell a friend that you don't want to play with them? My wife has this issue. The friend is much older and much lower skill. Wife is getting pretty good and wants to keep improving with better players.
Need to know more about the dynamics at play. Does your wife play three times a week with this person? Are they part of a larger group?

I mix my play up between different groups. In one group, I'm at the median in terms of skill level. In another group, I'm at the 25th percentile. Both of these are organized group play. We all rotate and everyone gets a chance to be paired with people of different skill sets.

The third time I play weekly is open play, and I get to test my skills against all sorts. Has your wife tried this approach?
michaelingp

Post by michaelingp »

Cruise wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:28 pm
Chardo wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:01 am How do you tactfully tell a friend that you don't want to play with them? My wife has this issue. The friend is much older and much lower skill. Wife is getting pretty good and wants to keep improving with better players.
Need to know more about the dynamics at play. Does your wife play three times a week with this person? Are they part of a larger group?
Agreed (that we need more information). Assuming drop-in play with a large group that rotates in and out of games, I'd recommend honesty, but you don't have to say, "I don't want to play with you," which would be hurtful and probably not even true if it's a friend. I would suggest something more like. "I won't be joining our group as often in the future because I want to play with better players and improve my game." So, instead of playing three times a week, say, with the lower skill group, maybe play once every two weeks. This does assume there's a group of lower level players and another group of higher level players that will accept the OP's wife. I can think of some situations where the group is much smaller and the situation could be much more awkward.
Brian5000

Post by Brian5000 »

I'm about to buy a slightly used DBD $180 CAD anyone have any other comments about this paddle other then the one that has shown a power drop.
I'm a Newbie picking it up pretty fast, tried a few paddles and a stiff thin what looked like even a wooden paddle gave me the strength to drive it deep into the service court. My Wifes Amped Epic LW Selkirk takes to much to drive it deep. I'm hoping the DBD being an around paddle will provide both power & lots of spin and not be to hard to control. (FWFer)
Brian5000

Post by Brian5000 »

Brian5000 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:08 pm I'm about to buy a slightly used DBD $180 CAD anyone have any other comments about this paddle other then the one that has shown a power drop.
I'm a Newbie picking it up pretty fast, tried a few paddles and a stiff thin what looked like even a wooden paddle gave me the strength to drive it deep into the service court. My Wifes Amped Epic LW Selkirk takes to much to drive it deep. I'm hoping the DBD being an around paddle will provide both power & lots of spin and not be to hard to control. (FWFer)
Paddle showed early signs of delaminating so that was a collasal waste of time.
Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

LadyGeek wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:22 am
LadyGeek wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:06 am One of my pickleball buddies has been extolling the virtues of Vatic Pro. Very good quality in the $100 price range. Check the online reviews.

However, I just purchased the ProKennex Pro Flight ($200 price range). Why? It fits my style better and I like the lower paddle weight. The paddle was just delivered. I'll start using it tomorrow.

Update: Revised paddle delivery date (today).
I just returned my ProKennex Pro Flight for a warranty replacement. A week or so ago, the paddle started rattling. It also made a "thunk" sound when I hit the ball in a certain area. That paddle incorporates tungsten-beads to dampen the vibration. I suspect something in the internal structure broke and caused the beads to come loose.

I'm very glad I purchased my paddle from an authorized dealer. Pickleball Central has excellent customer service. After a quick email exchange, they sent me a prepaid USPS shipping label to return my paddle. Unfortunately, the paddle was out of stock so I'll get a store credit. Otherwise, they would have just swapped it out.

I'm using my old ProKennex Pro Flight (previous model) until I get the new paddle.
A few days later, the paddle was back in-stock and the customer service rep ordered an immediate replacement.

The replacement arrived today. I can clearly hear the internal tungsten beads rattle when I shake the paddle, but it's not at all like the sounds I heard when the paddle was defective.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
gips

Post by gips »

When I used to play competitive tennis, at the start of the match I wouldn’t put much pace on the ball, just try to play consistently and look for patterns of play that took advantage of my opponents weaknesses. Often that was enough to win but against better players, I had to take more risks, hitting the ball with more pace, deeper and more precisely. At some point, if the player was better than I was, I’d start to take bigger and bigger risks.

I’ve started to play like that in pickleball, hitting with less pace but deeper,
a little more precisely and taking less risks, with good results against strong players. And because I’m hitting with less pace, the game slows down for me and I can do a little more thinking during points. I’m sure at some level this will stop working and I’ll have to take more risks but for now, enjoying it.
Chardo

Post by Chardo »

Playing my first tournament tonight. Been at it for a month now. The neighbors are noticing. One of our top players watched me play yesterday, told me afterward that he came over because he heard I was getting pretty good. He got to see a mixed bag from me. I whiffed on an overhead, ran back and got to the ball, and hit a forehand winner down the line. Lucky play, but it looked impressive.
OhBoyUhoh

Post by OhBoyUhoh »

Chardo wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:15 am Playing my first tournament tonight. Been at it for a month now. The neighbors are noticing. One of our top players watched me play yesterday, told me afterward that he came over because he heard I was getting pretty good. He got to see a mixed bag from me. I whiffed on an overhead, ran back and got to the ball, and hit a forehand winner down the line. Lucky play, but it looked impressive.
Let us know how it goes! What level are you playing at? Hope u have fun.
I had money, I had none. I had money, I had none. But I never been so broke that I couldn't leave town. (Jim, Ray, Robby, John)
Chardo

Post by Chardo »

OhBoyUhoh wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:31 am
Chardo wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:15 am Playing my first tournament tonight. Been at it for a month now. The neighbors are noticing. One of our top players watched me play yesterday, told me afterward that he came over because he heard I was getting pretty good. He got to see a mixed bag from me. I whiffed on an overhead, ran back and got to the ball, and hit a forehand winner down the line. Lucky play, but it looked impressive.
Let us know how it goes! What level are you playing at? Hope u have fun.
Had a lot of fun, but a few close losses kept me from the winner's court at the end. Played great, my best yet. I don't know officially what level I am, but when I play with guys who say they're 3.5, and I don't look out of place.
Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I starting playing at a different outdoor pickleball facility - permanent nets, 8 courts. Today's session had close to 60 people. I had a great time and wanted to mention how the event host ran the event.

Games were organized as 4 on, 4 off for each court. What was fun was that the host had 3 different sections to paddle up. Instead of beginner, intermediate, and advanced; the host labeled them as "Light and easy", "Rocking and rolling", and "Fast and sweaty". I thought that was great. :) There was absolutely no contention on who qualified for which level. People simply paddled up according to how they felt and jumped in.

I played in the "Fast and sweaty" group and had lots of fun with some very competitive games. You do tend to play with the same people, but the level of play is consistent and exactly where I wanted to be.

The host did not play. She and another person spent all of their time keeping things organized and controlling which of the 3 groups rotated in next. Each of the groups were split into "Winners" and "Runners up", which further mixed the players.

If you have a large group and someone who can keep things organized, this is a great way to do it.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
JonFund

Post by JonFund »

As a recent retiree, I also recently started playing pickleball. Became hooked quite quickly, as I played tennis as a youngster.

About the 6th week of playing, I unfortunately tore my calf muscle while running for a ball. Went to the orthopedic doctor who confirmed it was a calf tear. Three weeks later, I can walk without a limp, but it will be another week or two before I resume playing pickleball. My orthopedic doctor said he LOVES pickleball, even though he doesn't play. He said it has increased his client list more than anything in his 30 plus years of practicing orthopedic medicine!
h82goslw

Post by h82goslw »

JonFund wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 1:15 pm As a recent retiree, I also recently started playing pickleball. Became hooked quite quickly, as I played tennis as a youngster.

About the 6th week of playing, I unfortunately tore my calf muscle while running for a ball. Went to the orthopedic doctor who confirmed it was a calf tear. Three weeks later, I can walk without a limp, but it will be another week or two before I resume playing pickleball. My orthopedic doctor said he LOVES pickleball, even though he doesn't play. He said it has increased his client list more than anything in his 30 plus years of practicing orthopedic medicine!
I just saw my PCP and he was saying he’s jealous of all the ortho doctors. They keep telling him that because of pickleball they’re buying Porsches and second homes because so many people are getting hurt. I always thought pickleball was safer and you had less of a chance of getting injured?
Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

My eye doctor stated that his business has increased due to the growth of pickleball.

An increase in players is very good for business. Not only from an equipment and facility perspective, but from an injury increase as well.

So, please wear eye protection. I'm routinely blocking shots headed directly towards my face. I always wear prescription glasses, so it's not an issue for me. Yes, I've taken a few shots to the glasses. They did their job protecting my eyes.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

h82goslw wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 1:49 pm
JonFund wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 1:15 pm As a recent retiree, I also recently started playing pickleball. Became hooked quite quickly, as I played tennis as a youngster.

I just saw my PCP and he was saying he’s jealous of all the ortho doctors. They keep telling him that because of pickleball they’re buying Porsches and second homes because so many people are getting hurt. I always thought pickleball was safer and you had less of a chance of getting injured?
There is less ground to cover than tennis but it can be very fast paced with quick changes of direction and a lot of bending over. Couple that with older folks playing it leads to injuries.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
marshall

Post by marshall »

My eye doctor stated that his business has increased due to the growth of pickleball.

An increase in players is very good for business. Not only from an equipment and facility perspective, but from an injury increase as well.

So, please wear eye protection. I'm routinely blocking shots headed directly towards my face. I always wear prescription glasses, so it's not an issue for me. Yes, I've taken a few shots to the glasses. They did their job protecting my eyes.
Excellent advice. I was fortunate to research this early on. I play daily and have taken shots to my face multiple times. I did invest in a good pair of CRBN pickleball protective glasses.
Parkinglotracer

Post by Parkinglotracer »

LadyGeek wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 12:33 pm I starting playing at a different outdoor pickleball facility - permanent nets, 8 courts. Today's session had close to 60 people. I had a great time and wanted to mention how the event host ran the event.

Games were organized as 4 on, 4 off for each court. What was fun was that the host had 3 different sections to paddle up. Instead of beginner, intermediate, and advanced; the host labeled them as "Light and easy", "Rocking and rolling", and "Fast and sweaty". I thought that was great. :) There was absolutely no contention on who qualified for which level. People simply paddled up according to how they felt and jumped in.

I played in the "Fast and sweaty" group and had lots of fun with some very competitive games. You do tend to play with the same people, but the level of play is consistent and exactly where I wanted to be.

The host did not play. She and another person spent all of their time keeping things organized and controlling which of the 3 groups rotated in next. Each of the groups were split into "Winners" and "Runners up", which further mixed the players.

If you have a large group and someone who can keep things organized, this is a great way to do it.
Interesting way to do it … we have a 3 or 4 open courts for everyone and one court called the spicey court for the better players. We let folks put their paddles in the rack where they want to play.

The winners on the spicey court split and stay on. It’s worked out great.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

rich126 wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 2:02 pm

There is less ground to cover than tennis but it can be very fast paced with quick changes of direction and a lot of bending over. Couple that with older folks playing it leads to injuries.
Yeah, you know what's NOT so great for an old body? (Mine included)... Sudden sharp movements in different directions... :beer

Stretch well before and after playing, don't run backwards (that's where I see people get hurt the most), and know your limitations.

It's just one point... Let the hard ones go and give the other person props. It's not like we're playing for money.
"The best tools available to us are shovels, not scalpels. Don't get carried away." - vanBogle59
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

rich126 wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 2:02 pm and a lot of bending over.
Oh, what I find funny is that I'm old enough that bending over to pick up the ball sometimes seems to be the hardest part of the game.

:sharebeer
"The best tools available to us are shovels, not scalpels. Don't get carried away." - vanBogle59
rich126

Post by rich126 »

HomerJ wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 10:31 pm
rich126 wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 2:02 pm and a lot of bending over.
Oh, what I find funny is that I'm old enough that bending over to pick up the ball sometimes seems to be the hardest part of the game.

:sharebeer
So far my worst injury occurred at the gym doing leg presses on one of those machines where your body is kind of horizontal (legs slightly above the head). Near the end of a normal workout I felt something in my lower right back and it turned into extremely sharp pain and last for a long time. It still hurts but now is more of a dull or bruising time of pain. I had a MRI and they mention something about fissures in a disk but didn't really seem too concerned about it. I try to do various exercises for my core to minimize pain but I don't think it will ever go away completely.

I read where a lot of older folks playing pickleball end up with fractures when they fall. Bones get brittle unfortunately as we age.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

I played for the first time last weekend. (Well, flailed around and occasionally hit the ball back, in a way that somewhat resembled "playing".)

I'm hooked on it now, of course.

Picked up some el-cheapo paddles on AMZ and booked a "Pickleball 101" class that a local court frequently offers. We'll see how it goes!
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

JupiterJones wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 2:33 pm I played for the first time last weekend. (Well, flailed around and occasionally hit the ball back, in a way that somewhat resembled "playing".)

I'm hooked on it now, of course.

Picked up some el-cheapo paddles on AMZ and booked a "Pickleball 101" class that a local court frequently offers. We'll see how it goes!
Congrats!

Advice I give newbies:

—Buy tennis or PB shoes. Running shoes are not made for PB movements.
—Never backpedal for a ball bit behind you. Instead, turn sideways and run. Avoid head injuries due to falls.
—wear eye protection.
—Take a class (you got that one).
—Have fun! It is only a game.
Last edited by Cruise on Thu Jun 13, 2024 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Cruise wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 5:45 pm Advice I give newbies:

—Buy tennis or PB shoes. Running shoes are not mad for PB movements.
Today, I happened to play with a newbie. He is an experienced tennis player with good form. After the second time he slipped trying to stop his motion, I asked "So, what type of shoes are you wearing?". Yup, a cheap pair of running shoes. Point made.

He didn't fall from slipping, but the courts were dry. A damp court would have likely resulted in a fall.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

Achilles tears, broken wrists from falling, shoulder injuries, knees, and hamstrings. Have heard about all of those injuries through pickle ball. Also seen a few black eyes.
tm3

Post by tm3 »

h82goslw wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 1:49 pm I always thought pickleball was safer and you had less of a chance of getting injured?
Friend of mine who is an ER doc says he see a LOT of pickleball injuries.

Interestingly, I just learned that there have been (successful) efforts to block pickleball in my area due to noise. Huh? Sure the ball hitting the racquet makes a noise, but so does a tennis ball, so do lawnmowers, so do children playing tag, etc.
rickcrna

Post by rickcrna »

Pickleball noise complaints are very common and successful especially when the courts are located in neighborhoods with nearby houses or where street parking is impacted by players. It’s a fact of life with neighborhood and HOA located courts.
tm3

Post by tm3 »

I tend to think that it (noise) is a tactic that tennis players use so that they don't have to compete for court time, but I'm suspicious by nature I guess.

There are a lot of noisy (and noisier) things out there that are not banned/regulated.
Colorado Guy

Post by Colorado Guy »

MDfan wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 7:22 am Achilles tears, broken wrists from falling, shoulder injuries, knees, and hamstrings. Have heard about all of those injuries through pickle ball. Also seen a few black eyes.
Don't forget my favorite, plantar fasciitis!

Am slowly recovering from it now... :D Never even heard of this medical condition until I experienced the wonderfully painful first step in the morning after! KT Taping the foot and massage gun are in full use!
Elric

Post by Elric »

Colorado Guy wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:17 am Don't forget my favorite, plantar fasciitis!
FWIW, I found that good over the counter orthotic inserts helped prevent flare-ups back when I played soccer. I still use inserts in my court shoes.
"No man is free who must work for a living." (Illya Kuryakin)
Colorado Guy

Post by Colorado Guy »

Elric wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 12:26 pm
Colorado Guy wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:17 am Don't forget my favorite, plantar fasciitis!
FWIW, I found that good over the counter orthotic inserts helped prevent flare-ups back when I played soccer. I still use inserts in my court shoes.
+1. Also found an OTC pair (ProFoot Plantar Fasciitis) that has excellent cushioning, really helpful during this recovery period. Am also wearing them in my normal shoes for now.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

MDfan wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 7:22 am
h82goslw wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 1:49 pm I just saw my PCP and he was saying he’s jealous of all the ortho doctors. They keep telling him that because of pickleball they’re buying Porsches and second homes because so many people are getting hurt. I always thought pickleball was safer and you had less of a chance of getting injured?
Achilles tears, broken wrists from falling, shoulder injuries, knees, and hamstrings. Have heard about all of those injuries through pickle ball. Also seen a few black eyes.
Then again, if Pickleball gets people off the couch and doing a bit of exercise they otherwise wouldn't be doing (which anecdotally seems to be the case), then those potential injuries are in exchange for an almost certain reduction in risks of heart disease, high blood pressure, strokes, diabetes, etc. Sounds like a pretty good trade-off to me.

The orthos might be getting rich, but think of all those unfortunate cardiologists! :P

As for Pickleball being supposedly safer--compared to tennis I presume?--that can still be the case. A hypothetical increase in diagnosed injuries would simply due to the huge popularity of the game. That is, not from people switching from tennis, but from starting a new sport that, while low-risk, is still more dangerous than doing nothing. Add to that the older, more injury-prone demographic it's popular among, compared to other sports that might be riskier overall but have more younger people playing them.
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy »

JupiterJones wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 4:25 pm
MDfan wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 7:22 am
h82goslw wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 1:49 pm I just saw my PCP and he was saying he’s jealous of all the ortho doctors. They keep telling him that because of pickleball they’re buying Porsches and second homes because so many people are getting hurt. I always thought pickleball was safer and you had less of a chance of getting injured?
Then again, if Pickleball gets people off the couch and doing a bit of exercise they otherwise wouldn't be doing (which anecdotally seems to be the case), then those potential injuries are in exchange for an almost certain reduction in risks of heart disease, high blood pressure, strokes, diabetes, etc. Sounds like a pretty good trade-off to me.

The orthos might be getting rich, but think of all those unfortunate cardiologists! :P

As for Pickleball being supposedly safer--compared to tennis I presume?--that can still be the case. A hypothetical increase in diagnosed injuries would simply due to the huge popularity of the game. That is, not from people switching from tennis, but from starting a new sport that, while low-risk, is still more dangerous than doing nothing. Add to that the older, more injury-prone demographic it's popular among, compared to other sports that might be riskier overall but have more younger people playing them.
I didn't play tennis, so I can't really compare the injury rate of tennis to pickleball. I think the PB crowd runs older, or rather, there are more people in their 60s and 70s playing PB right now than tennis (there are also lots of younger people playing PB in my area).

PB has many many stops, starts and direction changes. I've seen the many leg injuries, broken wrists, etc. I do think it is easier on the shoulder and arm than tennis, though I've seen arm/shoulder overuse injuries with PB also.

I doubt PB is the safest way to get good exercise. You could argue it is more fun than many methods though. But for those who play a little harder, the injury rate is non-trivial from what I see. Fortunately most of the injuries are minor.
jarhead

Post by jarhead »

I also started playing PB about 8 months ago and fell in love with the game. A month and a half ago during the game, I was going for a ball (to the left of me) and heard a pop/snap in my left leg and collapsed. An MRI confirmed a full rupture of the Achilles tendon. I just wanted to do my part to support my local orthopedic surgeon. The surgeon, also a PB player, told me how important it is to work on my core before I start playing again.
gips

Post by gips »

After straining my Achilles and a hamstring pull, each taking about 6 months of physical therapy and rehab, I went to a physiatrist and in concert with a physical therapist, they designed a workout routine for me which I’ve been religiously following. So far, so good, I will say that I’ve found swimming incredibly helpful.

Last week I was asked into a game of 20 year old tournament players, it was really interesting, no 3rd shot drives, just drops and dinks. They covered the court so it was hard to put the ball away and they could reset almost any ball. Most points lasted 10-20 hits, I was exhausted after my first game.

My own biases kept me from recognizing the best player was a guy that was about 30 pounds overweight but he possessed incredible flexibility and was able to bend his body to perfectly position himself for every dink and reset. I think he made one error over the course of the entire game.

I still occasionally teach tennis clinics and, with the summer upon us, thought I’d better tune up my game. Playing tennis again has reminded me that as much as I enjoy pickleball, there’s something satisfying about hitting long, flowing tennis strokes that just isn’t there for me in pickleball.

Best,
Parkinglotracer

gips wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 1:51 am After straining my Achilles and a hamstring pull, each taking about 6 months of physical therapy and rehab, I went to a physiatrist and in concert with a physical therapist, they designed a workout routine for me which I’ve been religiously following. So far, so good, I will say that I’ve found swimming incredibly helpful.

Last week I was asked into a game of 20 year old tournament players, it was really interesting, no 3rd shot drives, just drops and dinks. They covered the court so it was hard to put the ball away and they could reset almost any ball. Most points lasted 10-20 hits, I was exhausted after my first game.

My own biases kept me from recognizing the best player was a guy that was about 30 pounds overweight but he possessed incredible flexibility and was able to bend his body to perfectly position himself for every dink and reset. I think he made one error over the course of the entire game.

I still occasionally teach tennis clinics and, with the summer upon us, thought I’d better tune up my game. Playing tennis again has reminded me that as much as I enjoy pickleball, there’s something satisfying about hitting long, flowing tennis strokes that just isn’t there for me in pickleball.

Best,
I find players that have the stamina for long dink fests often do well. I don’t have the patience, stamina, or skill for such. I am trying to develop that patience. In the mean time it is to my advantage to speed it up at the first opportunity and to take advantage of the first time the opponent dinks it a little high. I have a good serve that causes the other team problems sometimes. Guess that puts me in the typical banger category. Each day I try a little more soft skills for success. Someone who can really dink is tough to beat.
TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy »

Parkinglotracer wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 7:04 am
gips wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 1:51 am After straining my Achilles and a hamstring pull, each taking about 6 months of physical therapy and rehab, I went to a physiatrist and in concert with a physical therapist, they designed a workout routine for me which I’ve been religiously following. So far, so good, I will say that I’ve found swimming incredibly helpful.

Best,
I find players that have the stamina for long dink fests often do well. I don’t have the patience, stamina, or skill for such. I am trying to develop that patience. In the mean time it is to my advantage to speed it up at the first opportunity and to take advantage of the first time the opponent dinks it a little high. I have a good serve that causes the other team problems sometimes. Guess that puts me in the typical banger category. Each day I try a little more soft skills for success. Someone who can really dink is tough to beat.
Until you get to better players, I think banging is very often the *correct* shot!

If a 4.0 or better player is standing in position at the net, then trying to blast a ball coming to you that is net level or below is likely a bad, possibly tragic, idea. If a typical rec player is standing at the net (I'd place myself in that category, to be clear) and you get a shot that is a little high, that's a flashing green light to attack. Even at the pro levels, a dink that is "a little high" will often get attacked, from what I can see watching pro matches (and some higher level amateur matches in person). You can hit that high ball harder and probably have more choices of direction and depth.

A dink or reset is what you do when a better shot is not available. I think at the rec level, speeding up sooner rather than later is very common and often the best tactical choice.

That said, like most rec players, I could stand a lot of work on my dinking and making better decisions about dink versus attack. Patience is a virtue. Though the best shot partially depends upon the capabilities of the opponent.
Parkinglotracer

TN_Boy wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 10:33 am

Best,
Until you get to better players, I think banging is very often the *correct* shot!

If a 4.0 or better player is standing in position at the net, then trying to blast a ball coming to you that is net level or below is likely a bad, possibly tragic, idea. If a typical rec player is standing at the net (I'd place myself in that category, to be clear) and you get a shot that is a little high, that's a flashing green light to attack. Even at the pro levels, a dink that is "a little high" will often get attacked, from what I can see watching pro matches (and some higher level amateur matches in person). You can hit that high ball harder and probably have more choices of direction and depth.

A dink or reset is what you do when a better shot is not available. I think at the rec level, speeding up sooner rather than later is very common and often the best tactical choice.

That said, like most rec players, I could stand a lot of work on my dinking and making better decisions about dink versus attack. Patience is a virtue. Though the best shot partially depends upon the capabilities of the opponent.
Well said.
gips

Post by gips »

TN_Boy wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 10:33 am

Best,

In the games I play, banging is at best ineffective and at worst, a losing strategy. When i play against a banger, i drop the ball in the kitchen with a little backspin and slice every dink until they lose patience and try to speed the ball up and hit it out or into the into net. If they do hit a shot that’s going in, I hit a soft reset into the kitchen and we start dinking again.

Against better players, I have to be more aggressive and use topspin dinks and deception on speedups. It’s a cat and mouse game and often first strike wins the point.

This style of play allows me to play against much stronger players but it took about six months and a paddle change before I was completely confident in my drops and I’m just getting the hang of resets. My biggest challenge has been that my tennis volley sits in 55 years of muscle memory and it’s far too much motion for kitchen firefights.

Best,