Is Del Mar, CA worth the cost?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Valuethinker

Re: Is Del Mar, CA worth the cost?

Post by Valuethinker »

optimize_daily wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 8:06 am Hi,

We rented in Del Mar for one year. We moved in 2022 to SD, during the pandemic, as DH is immunocompromised and wanted to be outdoors more but the heat and humidity in Austin, TX were unbearable.

Pros
- Del Mar is my favorite beach in all San Diego. With its bluffs, it’s so beautiful to walk, sunrise or sunset.
- Torrey Pines Extension Trails - its well-kept trail system with stunning views of the ocean and Torrey Pines. Never crowded. It’s accessible right off of Del Mar Heights.

Considerations
- Del Mar is near the beach. Many rentals near the beach may not have A/C. It gets very muggy and humid during the late Spring through early Fall and doesn’t burn off until later in the afternoon. Our rental did not have AC. You had to have your doors and windows open all the time to let the breeze in. The breeze was fine but it carried a lot of humidity. It was the humidity we couldn’t stand. If you showered in the morning, you felt you were sweating immediately afterwards. This happened in the Summer only. We were used to AC and couldn’t wait to move out. We paid $5600 / month in 2022-2023.
- Areas of Del Mar and Del Mar Heights do not have an HOA. It sounds great - but their roads are terrible, there are no sidewalks and the neighborhoods just look unkept, compared to areas with HOAs. We lived next to $3-4 Million house and the home, although beautiful, the road and neighborhood were not. Parts of the area are still transitioning from a ‘beach vibe’ area. I hate paying for HOAs just as much as the next person, but I do appreciate good roads and sidewalks.
- The beach’s proximity to Tijuana makes it susceptible to closings. We experienced two closings in 12 months due to Tijuana pollution.
- I’m not sure if proximity to the ocean and humidity increase the risk but in the 12 months we lived in Del Mar, we saw many homes tenting for termites. It is such an expensive and intrusive ordeal, I would seriously investigate this further before purchasing a home there.

My Conclusion:
- We rented in Encinitas after Del Mar and now currently rent in Del Sur (12 min from Del Mar Beach). For me, unless I have an ocean view AND convenient access to the ocean, I don’t see the point of owning a home in Del Mar.
- FYI - We absolutely LOVED living in Encinitas. It has my favorite second beach. It is more crowded than Del Mar. The rental market is brutal in Encinitas and ended up going with Del Sur, which we love too.
- Regarding weather: everywhere I’ve lived in SD is cold (I'm from Texas). It seems just as cold here in Del Sur as Del Mar. Less humidity of course, because in Del Mar, you would see the fog traveling in through your window and travel out the back window - just like you see in San Francisco. It’s still 1000x better than the humidity and heat of Texas - so I’m still very happy with our move :)

Best Wishes on your move.
It is so nice to see a well-stated personal experience of a place, honest about both the positives and negatives.

This is how to do a review of a place to live. Thank you.

No place is perfect. It is all tradeoffs.

By way of analogy I moved from a cold North American city to England (London) which has a much milder and somewhat wetter climate:

- people think I was trying to escape the cold winters. Well, yes. But actually what really did me in was the hot and humid summers.

- OTOH very little in London is air conditioned-- outside of modern office buildings. The subway ("Tubes") are mostly not because they are 100+ years old, and the tunnels are too small to dump the heat anywhere. Also the London clay soil surrounding them has warmed up with over 100 years of contact.

What is air conditioned in London is, generally, not AC'd by North American standards. You'd think they were stifling.

- we have had hotter and hotter summers, and they tend to be humid. We even had a couple of days 100+ degrees F a couple of summers ago. But, generally, this is still much milder than the summer you would experience in say Albany or Rochester NY. Installing AC in a home here would be a major project (no ducts) but room air conditioners are increasingly popular.

- although you would think, from the way people talk about it here, that it rains all the time, this is not the case. London is dryer than some places in Portugal. We have threats of water rationing -- this will likely get worse as the population increases faster than the system of reservoirs, leak prevention etc (don't get me started on our problems in building necessary infrastructure).

English people have a mentality that water is abundant. Hence the green lawns phenomenon - a 1700s social class thing (only people rich enough to have men to cut their grass could have flat, green lawns). That will have to change (in southern England) where we really don't have enough water. And we don't capture and store enough of the (increasing episodes of very heavy) rain that we do get. The pattern is longer, hotter, dryer summers and warmer and wetter winters.

So actually the rain and the grey doesn't usually get to me. It's not that bad. In more western and northern England (Manchester, say) or the West Coast of Scotland? It would.

Bottom line. No place is perfect. And it's a moving target.
PLEASURE

Post by PLEASURE »

I used to live in San Diego and went there a couple of times. It's a paradise.
You only live once, so go for it!
rayne

Post by rayne »

In many of the nicest areas, good homes are over $2.5M.

I am renting a $2.8m home for $7200 in Rancho Santa Fe, it makes no sense to buy out here.
Caliscotsman

Post by Caliscotsman »

Dana Point.
Wonderful small walkable coastal town. Walk to the beach 30 mins.
One of the biggest harbor/marinas in the world. Bicycle paths abound.
Downtown is being gentrified. Restaurants, craft breweries, art installations, French cafes.

It's undergoing a $400 M investment in the harbor area. Right now.
It's going to attract many $$$ in the future.

(We bought 5 years ago. 850K. Now valuation 1.7M. (This is not the top.)

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/p/AF1 ... 312-n-k-no
tj

Post by tj »

Caliscotsman wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 2:53 pm Dana Point.
Downtown is being gentrified. Restaurants, craft breweries, art installations, French cafes.

Gentrified is not a word I'd use to describe Dana Point. It's been a wealthy area for decades!
Caliscotsman

Post by Caliscotsman »

All relative.
I'm talking about the new businesses and inward investment relative to the old character.
Topic Author
JustGotScammed

Post by JustGotScammed »

Caliscotsman wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 2:53 pm Dana Point.

Based on what you're seeing, do you think it's reasonable to expect the prices to increase in the future at similar rates to the past five years?
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

You can rent for a lot less at some of the beach towns around LA, eg Playa Del Rey, Marina del Rey. I had a summer share of a three bedroom in PDR, a few hundred feet from the sand,for $450/mo. Well, that was 1990. I was in the ocean nearly every day.
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
tj

Post by tj »

snackdog wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 10:49 pm You can rent for a lot less at some of the beach towns around LA, eg Playa Del Rey, Marina del Rey. I had a summer share of a three bedroom in PDR, a few hundred feet from the sand,for $450/mo. Well, that was 1990. I was in the ocean nearly every day.
I'd guess it would cost triple that today.
UncleLeo

Post by UncleLeo »

quantAndHold wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 6:32 pm
JustGotScammed wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 11:59 am basically, is it realistic to live in del mar and build wealth on a normal salary.
... But there are places within 10 miles of Del Mar that have high quality of life ...
What are some of those places?
Dpmbball

Post by Dpmbball »

carminered2019 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 1:50 pm
JustGotScammed wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 11:59 am basically, is it realistic to live in del mar and build wealth on a normal salary.
My daughter is making 250K a year and could not afford to buy a decent place in San Diego.

Del Mar and La Jolla are two of the most expensive cities in SD.
There are apartments condos that one can buy on 250k salary…as far as owning a home it’s tough out there…That’s why I moved to Charleston SC. Similar weather beach and lower purchase prices and taxes
fuddbogle

Post by fuddbogle »

UncleLeo wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 11:49 pm
... But there are places within 10 miles of Del Mar that have high quality of life ...
Torrey Highlands.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Get a map. Draw a circle. Much of San Diego, especially north of downtown, is a nice place to live. Like everywhere, there are trade offs between what you want and what’s available for what price. Like I said earlier, it also matters what you consider a “normal” salary is. Someone who can’t afford Del Mar might be able to afford Carmel Valley or Cardiff By the Sea just fine.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

quantAndHold wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 3:06 pm
Get a map. Draw a circle. Much of San Diego, especially north of downtown, is a nice place to live. Like everywhere, there are trade offs between what you want and what’s available for what price. Like I said earlier, it also matters what you consider a “normal” salary is. Someone who can’t afford Del Mar might be able to afford Carmel Valley or Cardiff By the Sea just fine.
And plenty of residents in Rancho Penasquitos, Scripps Ranch, Poway, and Rancho Bernardo would say they have high quality of life without paying coastal home prices. Good public schools, less fog, plenty of recreational amenities.
fi-me-to-the-moon

Post by fi-me-to-the-moon »

Dpmbball wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 12:36 am
My daughter is making 250K a year and could not afford to buy a decent place in San Diego.

There are apartments condos that one can buy on 250k salary…as far as owning a home it’s tough out there…That’s why I moved to Charleston SC. Similar weather beach and lower purchase prices and taxes
Having lived in both SD and Charleston, I disagree (as does historical data) that the weather is similar. Summers are hotter by an extraordinary margin. June thru September the daily real feel high will be 20-50F hotter in Charleston. Anecdotally, last week it reached 125F real feel in CHS while SD was a comfortable 75. Charleston humidity is world class. Annual rainfall is 5x that of SD, and the winters are slightly colder (also wetter) in Charleston. Sure, November and March are similar in these two cities, but there's a Fall and Spring sweet spot in every city in the US. For weather, no east coast city comes close to coastal SoCal. Perhaps you are comparing to Borrego Springs.
Last edited by fi-me-to-the-moon on Sun Jul 07, 2024 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

fi-me-to-the-moon wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 9:46 pm

Having lived in both SD and Charleston, I disagree (as does historical data) that the weather is similar. Summers are hotter by an extraordinary margin. June thru September the real feel high will be 20-50F hotter in Charleston. Anecdotally, last week it reached 125F real feel in CHS while SD was a comfortable 75. Charleston humidity is world class. Annual rainfall is 5x that of SD, and the winters are slightly colder (also wetter) in Charleston. Sure, November and March are similar in these two cities, but there's a Fall and Spring sweet spot in every city in the US. For weather, no east coast city comes close to coastal SoCal. Perhaps you are comparing to Borrego Springs.
Lol, Borrego Springs is one of my retirement choices. Although it is a desert town, super hot is not the hell that is east coast or midwest humid hot.

Only hope it stays as quant as it has been for past 30 years and does not average 180F due to future decades warming. Actually it prob will right after I buy a place. :)
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses. Hit it.
Dpmbball

Post by Dpmbball »

Having lived in both SD and Charleston, I disagree (as does historical data) that the weather is similar. Summers are hotter by an extraordinary margin. June thru September the daily real feel high will be 20-50F hotter in Charleston. Anecdotally, last week it reached 125F real feel in CHS while SD was a comfortable 75. Charleston humidity is world class. Annual rainfall is 5x that of SD, and the winters are slightly colder (also wetter) in Charleston. Sure, November and March are similar in these two cities, but there's a Fall and Spring sweet spot in every city in the US. For weather, no east coast city comes close to coastal SoCal. Perhaps you are comparing to Borrego Springs.
125F lol lol ok

Nov - March rarely goes below 35F similar to San Diego.

Yes June - mid September it’s hotter in Charleston.

Rain I don’t really notice all that much storms move quick if it rains from 2-4pm I don’t really notice unless it’s the weekend and I’m outside

If one doesn’t like the cold and has family on the East coast it’s one of a handful of major cities that doesn’t get snow or freezing temp but you are correct it is hotter than So Cal during the summer
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Dpmbball wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 10:33 pm

125F lol lol ok

Nov - March rarely goes below 35F similar to San Diego.

Yes June - mid September it’s hotter in Charleston.

Rain I don’t really notice all that much storms move quick if it rains from 2-4pm I don’t really notice unless it’s the weekend and I’m outside

If one doesn’t like the cold and has family on the East coast it’s one of a handful of major cities that doesn’t get snow or freezing temp but you are correct it is hotter than So Cal during the summer
San Diego does not have flying, blood sucking no-see-ums. Charleston does.
Dpmbball

Post by Dpmbball »

Yes more bugs in SC … in my statement I mention financial benefits … I do understand summers are hotter and more bugs than San Diego… but I have a nice house with no mortgage and my property taxes are $3,800 a year just about the same as my 600 sq ft apartment I lived in out there years ago it doesn’t snow and gets below freezing once every blue moon… Ya win some ya lose some bugs and more heat for 90 days… o well I make sure to change my HVAC filters and keep it running smoothy and have essential oil lotion on when I’m out
fi-me-to-the-moon

Post by fi-me-to-the-moon »

125F lol lol ok
Charleston County, June 25th, 2024. 125F real feel.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

Further up the coast than Del Mar, but my car says 67F and I have had one mosquito bite so far this year. We sleep with the windows open without screens. Granted, I am not entirely sure what time of day it is here under the marine layer, but that is better than anything over 85F in my book.
tj

Post by tj »

sailaway wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 2:27 pm Further up the coast than Del Mar, but my car says 67F and I have had one mosquito bite so far this year. We sleep with the windows open without screens. Granted, I am not entirely sure what time of day it is here under the marine layer, but that is better than anything over 85F in my book.
Why don't you have screens?
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

tj wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 2:46 pm
sailaway wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 2:27 pm Further up the coast than Del Mar, but my car says 67F and I have had one mosquito bite so far this year. We sleep with the windows open without screens. Granted, I am not entirely sure what time of day it is here under the marine layer, but that is better than anything over 85F in my book.
Why don't you have screens?
We *have* screens and mosquito nets, but they are a PITA to deal with every time you change the status of a hatch/ portlight and we don't need them here.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

sailaway wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 2:57 pm We *have* screens and mosquito nets, but they are a PITA to deal with every time you change the status of a hatch/ portlight and we don't need them here.
After spending an afternoon trying to get a bird out of the house we do find screens to be useful even when there are minimal flying bugs.
FireProof

Post by FireProof »

I'm going to go against the grain and say, no, it's not, regardless of supply and demand. There's an incredibly artificially restricted supply because of zoning, building codes, and the Coastal Commission. Other places with high value in terms of demand are a fraction of the price where that is less true (Mediterranean Italy, Spain, France, places with great weather and better infrastructure/culture/food, etc). Obviously not apples to apples in terms of jobs and interested populations, but my point is supply and demand are not enough to answer this question when it's basically the opposite of a free market.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

stan1 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 3:01 pm
sailaway wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 2:57 pm We *have* screens and mosquito nets, but they are a PITA to deal with every time you change the status of a hatch/ portlight and we don't need them here.
After spending an afternoon trying to get a bird out of the house we do find screens to be useful even when there are minimal flying bugs.
Yes, if we ever had to deal with that, we would probably be more diligent about the screens. Currently, we only use them out at the islands where there are a million flies and/or bees, depending on the actual anchorage.
TwoBitsCA

Post by TwoBitsCA »

One thing to keep in mind with Del Mar is that they will be moving the train tracks away from the coast and tunneling under some yet to be determined alignment. Depending on which alignment is chosen, there might be some short or long term impacts on real estate in the area.
Dpmbball

Post by Dpmbball »

fi-me-to-the-moon wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 2:24 pm

125F lol lol ok
Charleston County, June 25th, 2024. 125F real feel.
I understand what the website says but it didn’t and doesn’t feel like 125F I vacations both in Arizona and Vegas at listed 110F actual real life temps Charleston has never felt that bad…