I bought Virgin Galactic (SPCE) (updated)

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
VideoJoe

Re: I bought Virgin Galactic (SPCE)

Post by VideoJoe »

It's interesting to think how point-to-point suborbital travel on Earth will effect the shipping industry. I think that's where the money will be made. Virgin or Boeing selling space vehicles to UPS and FedEx. In that scenario, I'd be more bullish on FedEx and UPS. We'll see...
Keep calm and stay the course.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

VideoJoe wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:19 pm It's interesting to think how point-to-point suborbital travel on Earth will effect the shipping industry. I think that's where the money will be made. Virgin or Boeing selling space vehicles to UPS and FedEx. In that scenario, I'd be more bullish on FedEx and UPS. We'll see...
I'm not seeing a future where suborbital shipping could possibly be cost effective.

But I never say never...
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets »

OP. why is your exit strategy based on a timeframe of 5 years? Minimum, as you say.
Why not have an exit based on price?
If, in the next year the share price increases 50%, why would you not take that?
IMHO this is a repeated problem with BHs and their fun money. They want that fun money to return 1000%. That want a moon shot (pun intended). I suppose that this is because they see it as fun money which in their minds is lost money. And maybe so. But if their money does gain, especially at a percent far above the at the time prevailing gain of the S and P, why would you not take that as a gift?
windaar

Post by windaar »

Putting 20K in a single stock has zilch to do with Boglehead investing philosophy.
Nobody knows nothing.
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

SPCE down 19% on the day, down 30% since this thread started. Today's drop due to the company announcing a convertible notes offering, so investors anticipate share dilution.

Today is one of those days when I would second guess why I bought an individual stock. I got out of them years ago. Every now and then I'm tempted to try again with "fun" money. Today reminds me to say no thanks.

OP, hope you're sticking with your plan and not paying attention to days like today 🙂
Topic Author
er999

Post by er999 »

sycamore wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:23 pm SPCE down 19% on the day, down 30% since this thread started. Today's drop due to the company announcing a convertible notes offering, so investors anticipate share dilution.

Today is one of those days when I would second guess why I bought an individual stock. I got out of them years ago. Every now and then I'm tempted to try again with "fun" money. Today reminds me to say no thanks.

OP, hope you're sticking with your plan and not paying attention to days like today 🙂
I'm still paying attention to the stock and did notice the drop. I don't expect any increase in the stock price until the 4th quarter of this year when they're supposed to start commercial flights. Of course, the 4th quarter 2022 flight isn't guaranteed either (spaceflight is complex) so if they have to postpone service further I'm sure the stock will drop more. If it drops down to $5 maybe I'll pick up a few more shares vs just leaving things as they are. Like I said in my original post I'm planning on holding for at least 5 years so we'll see. There's always the sad possibility the next flight is an accident and the stock goes to zero. It's lower now then it's IPO price of $11.75 in 2019 so now is a better time to buy but then when I bought last month. The price I got is still quite a bit off the high of $55, though.
gtrplayer

Post by gtrplayer »

er999 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:48 pm
sycamore wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:23 pm SPCE down 19% on the day, down 30% since this thread started. Today's drop due to the company announcing a convertible notes offering, so investors anticipate share dilution.

I'm still paying attention to the stock and did notice the drop. I don't expect any increase in the stock price until the 4th quarter of this year when they're supposed to start commercial flights. Of course, the 4th quarter 2022 flight isn't guaranteed either (spaceflight is complex) so if they have to postpone service further I'm sure the stock will drop more. If it drops down to $5 maybe I'll pick up a few more shares vs just leaving things as they are. Like I said in my original post I'm planning on holding for at least 5 years so we'll see. There's always the sad possibility the next flight is an accident and the stock goes to zero. It's lower now then it's IPO price of $11.75 in 2019 so now is a better time to buy but then when I bought last month. The price I got is still quite a bit off the high of $55, though.
Are they cleared to fly? My understanding is the Branson flight did not go as well as they made it appear on TV.
z3r0c00l

Post by z3r0c00l »

What would keep me up at night is the knowledge that Space X could, on the whims of a CEO with known attention span issues, make a product that blows Virgin Galactic (not to mention Blue Origin) out of the water almost immediately. That plus the first time they lose a plane full of civilians their market would be gone. And all that before even thinking about how they are going to make a profit off this business.
70% Global Stocks / 30% Bonds
financeperchance

Post by financeperchance »

These are great points. This big stock decline and debt offering is a very good lesson learned. I think there’s a value in seeing that stockpicking is extremely difficult, and I am glad this thread is on this forum and it was allowed to remain.

I have previously recommended Motley fool CAPS on this forum. That’s a great way to test one’s stockpicking skills, and it doesn’t cost a cent. It’s so much better to do that for a year or two, and see how one does before using real money.
Topic Author
er999

Post by er999 »

financeperchance wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:33 pm

These are great points. This big stock decline and debt offering is a very good lesson learned. I think there’s a value in seeing that stockpicking is extremely difficult, and I am glad this thread is on this forum and it was allowed to remain.

I have previously recommended Motley fool CAPS on this forum. That’s a great way to test one’s stockpicking skills, and it doesn’t cost a cent. It’s so much better to do that for a year or two, and see how one does before using real money.
Yes it’s definitely super volatile. If the total market index was down 40% like this stock is for me it would be doom and gloom for sure. The individual stock picker has to deal with way more volatility.
mary1492

Post by mary1492 »

xyzzy
Last edited by mary1492 on Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

Virgin Galactic stock falls below debut price two years after going public--Jan 6, 2022

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/06/virgin- ... later.html
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
Topic Author
er999

Post by er999 »

Just to keep this updated in real time, I bought 920 more shares at $8.91. Also thinking more about my exit strategy as suggested by other posters. Originally I was planning on keeping 5-10 years and letting just letting it ride regardless of any future gains, but I was rethinking since this stock is driven by speculative bubbles. There was one in February 2021 up to $54 and June 2021 up to $55.91 before crashing again. I'm still interested in the company long term, but likely will sell if it ever gets up into the 50s again (not sure the exact number, will figure the exact dollar amount and put a limit order in by the fall). I'd then use the money to buy back in again if it crashes again (and accept the risk of missing out if it doesn't).

I might buy a few hundred more shares if the stocks drops down to the $5s, but still keeping the amount to the boglehead approved < 5% of my portfolio. I'll be shocked if there are any gains in this stock until 10/2022 at the earliest, and that might be postponed even further if their next flight gets delayed any more.
Greentree

Post by Greentree »

I think your risk analysis is faulty. It’s not whether there is a market for space flight but whether Virgin can safely fly. Keep in mind, people have died already at Virgin and as a few others noted, there are documented safety concerns. Branson is selling, I feel that he probably has a handle on the companies valuation.
Topic Author
er999

Post by er999 »

The stock is up 12% in 1 day today to $11.01, very strange as I expected no increase at all until they start flying again in the fall.
mary1492

Post by mary1492 »

Topic Author
er999

Re: I bought Virgin Galactic (SPCE) (1 year update, now down 75%)

Post by er999 »

1 year update, now the stock is at $3.56, down ~ 75% from my initial purchase price at $14.35 and at another 52 week low at $3.56.

I did add a little to my position as the stock dropped earlier this year so now have 2,465 shares (925 additional shares bought at $8.91 and 165 at $6.03). Not putting any new money in it now though even with the drop, but not selling either. I'm still interested in the company and if they can start flying next year think they could still do well.

Updating the thread as a lesson for those who try single stock purchases so we don't see only the success stories like the guy who recently made 6 million on Tesla options.

Of course, the general market is down as well and these types of stocks even more. Tesla is down 68% year to date, Virgin galactic is 73%. Compared to Virgin galactic Tesla is like a blue chip stock as they have an actual product to sell and are making money each money (even though sky high P/E for Tesla compred to the rest of the market).

Lesson learned for me is even buying at a 52 week low (which it was when I bought last year) doesn't mean the stock is a good price. Also analyst's predictions aren't very helpful -- at the time I bought the target price for stock analysts was higher than the price and they only downgraded their price estimates after the stock had already dropped.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

I really appreciate the update, thank you.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

er999 wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:43 am I’ve been fascinated by space since I’ve been a child.
That's a dangerous way to invest. Your fascinations are not necessarily the market's fascinations.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Hyperchicken

Post by Hyperchicken »

That's kind of the thing with individual stocks. Not even the idiosyncratic risk of being concentrated in one business. It's that you usually don't hear about them, not until they do something drastic like going up 9000% in a month. And that locks you into the buying at the top pattern.

It's more fun to invest into fun stocks. But you get better results with boring than with fun.
canadianbacon

Post by canadianbacon »

Appreciate your honesty and accountability. I agree it’s good to show things can go multiple ways, even when buying with conviction.
Bulls make money, bears make money, pigs get slaughtered.
gtrplayer

Post by gtrplayer »

Appreciate the update. I’m curious how long you’ll hold. I haven’t heard much about Virgin since the big flight. I still think private space flight will inevitably be a big business one day, creating extremely fast flights around the world. The problem is picking the winners. The big winner may not have even been founded yet.
smooth_rough

Post by smooth_rough »

I would buy Space X stock if it was possible. But that is more about commercial satellite launch.
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

i appreciate you updating your post.

So based on two posts, it looks like you bought:
1380 shares at $14.35/share on 12/22/21 ($19,803 paid)
920 more shares at $8.91 on 1/21/22 ($8197.20 paid)

So you spent $28,000.20.

But now you own 2300 shares that are now worth $3.58 each for a total of $8234.00.

So you lost about 71% of your money (or $19,766.20).

Have you thought about the TLH opportunity you have?

If you sell your shares you can reduce your ordinary income by $3000 for the next 6.5 years.
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
doobiedoo

Post by doobiedoo »

er999 wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:17 am 1 year update, now the stock is at $3.56, down ~ 75% from my initial purchase price at $14.35 and at another 52 week low at $3.56.
Lesson learned for me is even buying at a 52 week low (which it was when I bought last year) doesn't mean the stock is a good price. Also analyst's predictions aren't very helpful ..
Yes, those are good lessons. I remember learning them too [decades ago]!
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

First, listen to or read the transcript of the Rational Reminder podcast, Lighting your Money on Fire with Thematic ETFs, and their careful explanation of why the stocks of companies in fast-growing new business categories are not usually good investments. (The fast-growing business categories attract startups quickly, and the pie slices get smaller more quickly than the pie grows).

That said, there are several space-themed ETFs, including one from ARK Invest: ARKX, ARK Space Exploration & Innovation ETF.

Performance of ARKX and SPCE since inception of ARKX

(I'm just pointing, clicking, copying and pasting, folks. I personally wouldn't touch either of these with a ten-parsec pole. Do notice that ARKX has lost more than a third of its value since inception.) (On a quick check, the performance of two other space-themed ETFs, UFO and SPRX, has been similar to ARKX).
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
secondopinion

Post by secondopinion »

er999 wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:43 am Many posters on bogleheads say they use up to 5% of their portfolio on speculative investing. I haven’t seen anyone post what they buy in real time before.
I know for myself that some of my speculations are not trivially handled. It is serious business, not some chit-chat I post here. Look at TOFB in November; making it peak is partly my work to get a nice gain. My trades will mark that stock's history forever until it is delisted.
Passive investing: not about making big bucks but making profits. Active investing: not about beating the market but meeting goals. Speculation: not about timing the market but taking profitable risks.
dmcmahon

Post by dmcmahon »

nisiprius wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:01 pm I personally wouldn't touch either of these with a ten-parsec pole.
And with that, you win the internet for the day!
secondopinion

Post by secondopinion »

dmcmahon wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:48 pm
nisiprius wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:01 pm I personally wouldn't touch either of these with a ten-parsec pole.
And with that, you win the internet for the day!
Of course, if you are moving fast enough (close to the speed of light, length contraction makes that pole smaller and you closer. Maybe this company can make that happen, or more likely not…
Passive investing: not about making big bucks but making profits. Active investing: not about beating the market but meeting goals. Speculation: not about timing the market but taking profitable risks.
Topic Author
er999

Post by er999 »

gtrplayer wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:58 pm Appreciate the update. I’m curious how long you’ll hold. I haven’t heard much about Virgin since the big flight. I still think private space flight will inevitably be a big business one day, creating extremely fast flights around the world. The problem is picking the winners. The big winner may not have even been founded yet.
It’s in a Roth so no tax loss harvesting opportunities. I’m planning on holding as the amount of money is small relative to the rest of my portfolio (slightly under 1%) so selling it and putting it into say, VTI wouldn’t make much difference.

It’s very possible the company might go out of business in the next few years and the stock could go to zero. They are upgrading their ships (so called delta class) that should be ready in 3-4 years and would allow weekly flights so there’s that future promise.

Supposedly they will start flying customers in their existing ship in 2023 but I don’t think a lot of people believe it will actually happen, particularly since the long delay after Branson’s flight in July 2021. If they do start flying again in 2023, particularly if at a decent pace like once a month, the stock could pop up again. I could see that if some famous celebrities fly and gush about their experience retail money could pour in even if the flight frequency of once a month doesn’t support those valuations.

My plan is if the stock ever gets to 23 (which would be an amazing 6x up from today’s price) to sell half my shares and then continue to hold the remainder for the next 10+ years. I don’t have any other individual stocks I’m interested in buying so not looking at trying to cash out if the stock gets up to even 6 or 8 and using the money for anything else.
FrugalConservative

Post by FrugalConservative »

The market has spoken and this stock is a stinker. It amazes me that you continue to put good money into a horrible company.
z3r0c00l

Post by z3r0c00l »

This is a helpful thread, a reminder that I never want to have play money stocks. I would be equally upset about losing the money now and half wondering if it is even a better deal now.
70% Global Stocks / 30% Bonds
Marylander1

Post by Marylander1 »

er999 wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:17 amAlso analyst's predictions aren't very helpful -- at the time I bought the target price for stock analysts was higher than the price and they only downgraded their price estimates after the stock had already dropped.
I remember learning this lesson. Analysts come up with those expected share prices using detailed valuation spreadsheets, but they turn out to be nearly worthless.

If the stock goes up, they push their target price up. If the stock goes down, they push it down. I'm sure they fiddle with the numbers in the spreadsheet to manipulate the target price, but I'm not sure that even matters.

I think I learned this lesson with Metricom (MCOM) who had wireless internet technology before WiFi or 3G cellular could offer it. It even worked in several cities including Baltimore. But they ran out of money and the stock price plummeted, then the analysts' target price followed. My "investment" disappeared like radio waves radiating into deep space.
goblue100

Post by goblue100 »

er999 wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:43 am Many posters on bogleheads say they use up to 5% of their portfolio on speculative investing. I haven’t seen anyone post what they buy in real time before.
Actually, I've seen a lot of posters post one or two trades but they always seem to disappear, usually when their results are disappointing.
er999 wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:43 am Most likely the stock will do nothing (and maybe go to zero) but I’ll try to update periodically what happens.
I'll wish you luck and look forward to future updates.
"Confusion has its cost" - Crosby, Stills and Nash
Topic Author
er999

Post by er999 »

Now down to $2.12, 15% of original purchase price of $14. This is despite 4 successful monthly space flights in a row, last one was 9/8.

Suspected reason for the fall is likely ongoing dilution for the company to keep going until 2026 when their delta class ships are supposed to start flying and allow weekly flights. At that point the company is predicted to start making money. It’s possible the company may go bankrupt before that, though. Reportedly the company needs to burn through another billion + dollars to built those ships.

Fortunately it was a small percentage of my portfolio so if goes to zero no real impact even though the absolute dollar amount was large. It didn’t cut into any lifestyle expenses, but of course would have been more fun to spend that $20k on a blow out trip instead.

My other speculative investment did well (a few thousand in Joby that I sold after doubling) so I’ve seen both the upside and downside of individual stocks. Good to try after 20 years of index only investing but less interested in trying more single stocks now.

Anyway, thought this would be a useful service to the community. When individual stocks are discussed on here it’s usually the winners — the person who got to 6 million with going all on Tesla, the poster who got a 10x plus return by buying nividia a few years ago, or those who bought Costco or Apple 20 years ago.
theorist

Re: I bought Virgin Galactic (SPCE) (updated)

Post by theorist »

Nice of you to give these honest updates!

Why did you sell the stock that had doubled? The advice I’ve read is to hold on to the winners, assuming you see a further long term growth runway.
arpit13

Post by arpit13 »

what forums are individual stocks discussed?
veggivet

Post by veggivet »

arpit13 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:17 am what forums are individual stocks discussed?
There are scads, but the one I go to (infrequently) is www.seekingalpha.com
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius »

theorist wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:49 am Nice of you to give these honest updates!

Why did you sell the stock that had doubled? The advice I’ve read is to hold on to the winners, assuming you see a further long term growth runway.
There is a whole series of contradictory investing proverbs, making it easy to choose the one that validates your impulses, whatever they are.

Obviously he was thinking:

"Nobody ever went broke taking a profit,"
"Bulls make money and bears make money but pigs get slaughtered,"
"Buy low, sell high,"
and
"What goes up must come down,"

rather than

"You're playing with house money now,"
"Cut your losses and let your profits run,"
"The trend is your friend,"
and
"Fortune favors the bold."
Hyperchicken

Post by Hyperchicken »

arpit13 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:17 am what forums are individual stocks discussed?
Here's one:

viewtopic.php?t=411573
Topic Author
er999

Post by er999 »

theorist wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:49 am Nice of you to give these honest updates!

The stock (joby) was another pre-revenue company like Virgin Galactic that went public as a SPAC. It has a market cap of several billion despite no revenue. It is also a hype based stock (telsa of the air) that potentially has real promise though. Like many growth stocks there’s a good story behind it. I heard about the company from an economist article so now can justify my few hundred / year economist subscription for the next decade with the profits. :)

I held the stock in a Roth so no taxes due at selling. I asked my friend who does a lot of individual stocks who said these small companies often spike up and then lose their gains 1 week later. He had lost a lot of potential gains. I figured sell and made money when I had a chance, particularly with losing money on virgin galactic.

I sold at 10.40: the current price is 7.34 so down 30%. It was luck though rather than any skill to get out at that price and could have easily doubled again (and may do so in the future)

I think bogleheads principals of buy and hold and don’t sell in a downturn don’t apply to individual stock investing.
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius »

er999 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:05 pm ...I think bogleheads principals of buy and hold and don’t sell in a downturn don’t apply to individual stock investing...
Everyone probably knows this, but I am going to state it anyway. Bogleheads' principles say not to invest in individual stocks at all.
Rather than trying to pick the specific stocks or sectors of the market that may outperform in the future, buy funds that are widely diversified, or even approximate the whole market.
The reason is that buying individual stocks incurs extra unnecessary idiosyncratic risk that theoretically should not be rewarded by the market, because it can be avoided by diversification.
Last edited by nisiprius on Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ddbtoth

Post by ddbtoth »

In the early 2000’s a good friend of mine had access to stock information that he passed along to me- ADSTAR, COMPUGEN, and Points Int. I think buying in total, with about $10k, and sold in the end for $35k or so, enough for a nice house down payment. I quickly figured out there seemed to be no rhyme or reason to the stock fluctuations , and when they popped up to my sell price, I sold. I also figured out it wasn’t my thing, and while I was successful, it wasn’t worth the worry on my part. I hope you have fun with your buy, it’s can be exciting (or frustrating).
Topic Author
er999

Post by er999 »

Share price is now down to $1.26, from a purchase price of $14. Bumping to show the risks of individual stock investing.

The company isn’t out of business yet, and if everything goes perfectly they may start making money in 2026 when their new fleet of spacecraft come online that are supposed to offer weekly flights. However, they may run out of cash before then and the market has appropriately dropped their price.

Not buying any more shares. I did buy some as the price dropped so I have about 5000 shares at an average price of about $7. Need a 6x return to get back to even, but fortunately it was a small percentage of my portfolio so even if goes to zero won’t cause harm. In a Roth so no tax loss harvesting opportunities.

Adding as a counterpoint to the indvidual stock success stories that often get posted on bogleheads (Nvidia, Telsa, etc,)
dorster

Post by dorster »

er999 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:01 pm Share price is now down to $1.26, from a purchase price of $14. Bumping to show the risks of individual stock investing.
Thanks for posting this follow up. If you wanted I suspect it'd be helpful to edit your first post with a link to your 2024 post.

Sounds like you have most of your portfolio in a boglehead portfolio and are in good shape! Wish you the best.
veggivet

Post by veggivet »

I tip my hat to you for your honest updates on the stock. When posters only report back on their successful picks, it can mislead others and encourage confirmation bias.
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius »

er999 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:01 pm ...Adding as a counterpoint to the indvidual stock success stories that often get posted on bogleheads (Nvidia, Telsa, etc,)...
Thank you so much.
tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 »

er999 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:01 pm The company isn’t out of business yet, and if everything goes perfectly they may start making money in 2026 when their new fleet of spacecraft come online that are supposed to offer weekly flights.

Adding as a counterpoint to the individual stock success stories that often get posted on bogleheads (Nvidia, Telsa, etc,)

We won't realize weekly flights until 2030... IF we make it. Delta Flight test will be slow... and iterative.. The carrier ship is going to become a constraint, based on the last call I heard.

I'm okay with a few dogs in my account RKLB, SPCE, LLAP (I'm inspired by space)... They offset the high flyers like Nvidia, AMD, LNG, and BLDR...
hoofaman

Post by hoofaman »

Down 90% in the past year alone, I was surprised to see how high the share price still was but then I read SPCE did a reverse 20-1 stock split (stock merge)

https://investors.virgingalactic.com/ne ... fault.aspx
Hyperchicken

Post by Hyperchicken »

Held like true diamond hands.

No seriously thanks for the update.