Can a TV display browser tab?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
huzaing

Can a TV display browser tab?

Post by huzaing »

Hi,

I bought this TV (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B092Q1TRJC) and will be returning it. I bought it because it said 'Chromecast Built-in', and I wanted it to display browser tab/window from my Windows laptop. But, the way it works is, it only casts video websites like Youtube. So if I open youtube.com on my browser, it will display youtube on the TV. But for non-video sites (like google.com), it says:
"available for specific video sites"
(There are some workarounds online, but those didn't work for me)

So my question is:

Is there any TV + some device (Roku, Chromecast, anything) that can display a browser tab (for any site)? Don't know if the separate Chromecast device works different from the TV 'built-in' version.
Ideally, it should mirror the browser tab (so I see the same content on the browser tab and the TV). Don't know if it's possible.

(A couple of years ago I tried Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter, but video lagged a lot, so I discarded it).

Would appreciate any feedback.
bogles the mind

Re: Can a TV display browser tab?

Post by bogles the mind »

I have a regular Chromecast. It will do what you want.
Topic Author
huzaing

Post by huzaing »

bogles the mind wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 6:51 am I have a regular Chromecast. It will do what you want.
Hi, thanks. Does it mirror the browser tab? or do you no longer see it on the laptop once you cast it?
count damoney

Post by count damoney »

All my Roku's and Firesticks allow screen mirroring.
tev9876

Post by tev9876 »

My LG smart TVs have a built in web browser app. You can log into your streaming app directly on the TV without the need for a second device to cast. Note that some apps or websites may block casting to a different screen.
Topic Author
huzaing

Post by huzaing »

count damoney wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 7:18 am All my Roku's and Firesticks allow screen mirroring.
Can you do the following:

Have one Laptop display to yourself that is not mirrored (for working, etc)
Another screen/view that is mirrored

Basically what I'm trying to do: Able to use the laptop while showing something on the TV, but also able to see what the TV is showing on the laptop.
That's why I was thinking if mirroring a browser tab or window is possible.
bogles the mind

huzaing wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 7:11 am
bogles the mind wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 6:51 am I have a regular Chromecast. It will do what you want.
Hi, thanks. Does it mirror the browser tab? or do you no longer see it on the laptop once you cast it?
I think the difference is whether chromecast is embedded or not. If I click the icon in the top right of the browser it will mirror the screen. If it is embedded as in a youtube video I can click it at the bottom right of the video and close the lid of the laptop and it will continue to cast. Embedded usually is a better quality video. If embedded I can switch between tabs.
bogles the mind

VPN may need to be off to cast.
count damoney

Post by count damoney »

huzaing wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 7:33 am
count damoney wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 7:18 am All my Roku's and Firesticks allow screen mirroring.

Basically what I'm trying to do: Able to use the laptop while showing something on the TV, but also able to see what the TV is showing on the laptop.
Yes. You need to "extend" the display.
Rather than type everything out, read this https://www.reddit.com/r/lifehacks/comm ... ur_laptop/
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

do you use an iPhone with them?

I can't seem to get my iPhone or iPad Pro to recognize my Samsung TV.
count damoney

Post by count damoney »

bondsr4me wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 8:00 am

I don't know about the OS of Samsung Tv's, but yes you can mirror Iphones to Rokus and Firesticks.

to screen mirror your iPhone to your Roku TV, you can use a feature called AirPlay. First, make sure your iPhone and Roku TV are connected to the same Wi-Fi network. Then, on your iPhone, swipe down from the top right corner of the screen to open the Control Center. Tap the ""Screen Mirroring"" option, and you should see your Roku TV listed. Tap on it to start mirroring your iPhone screen to your TV.
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

count damoney wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 8:12 am
bondsr4me wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 8:00 am

I don't know about the OS of Samsung Tv's, but yes you can mirror Iphones to Rokus and Firesticks.

to screen mirror your iPhone to your Roku TV, you can use a feature called AirPlay. First, make sure your iPhone and Roku TV are connected to the same Wi-Fi network. Then, on your iPhone, swipe down from the top right corner of the screen to open the Control Center. Tap the ""Screen Mirroring"" option, and you should see your Roku TV listed. Tap on it to start mirroring your iPhone screen to your TV.
Thank you....will try this! :happy
Topic Author
huzaing

Post by huzaing »

count damoney wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 7:56 am

Rather than type everything out, read this https://www.reddit.com/r/lifehacks/comm ... ur_laptop/
Thank you. I will review.

Roku vs. Firestick, do they both work equally well for this purpose?
count damoney

Post by count damoney »

huzaing wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 8:51 am

Yea, but I prefer the Roku interface. Probably personal preference
Topic Author
huzaing

Post by huzaing »

count damoney wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 8:58 am
huzaing wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 8:51 am

Yea, but I prefer the Roku interface. Probably personal preference
Thanks. So kind!
upwind

Post by upwind »

I just have a laptop connected via hdmi cable. You should be able to treat any modern TV as a display monitor.

You can set display mirroring to show same content on TV and Laptop if that is goal in the pc display settings. Just like any second desktop display can be extended, mirrored, or only one of the two.
“Investing is the intersection of economics and psychology.” - Seth Klarman
Topic Author
huzaing

Post by huzaing »

upwind wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 9:28 am I just have a laptop connected via hdmi cable. You should be able to treat any modern TV as a display monitor.

You can set display mirroring to show same content on TV and Laptop if that is goal in the pc display settings. Just like any second desktop display can be extended, mirrored, or only one of the two.
Hi,

I forgot to mention, I want wireless option :)
Nummerkins

Post by Nummerkins »

Press the Windows + K key combo. It will bring options to connect. If your TV is on it should show up and allow you to mirror your screen wirelessly. Note that VPNs or other stuff like that will break it. Pretty much any smart TV made the past 5 years can do this.
Today's high is tomorrow's low.
Topic Author
huzaing

Post by huzaing »

Nummerkins wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 9:58 am Press the Windows + K key combo. It will bring options to connect. If your TV is on it should show up and allow you to mirror your screen wirelessly. Note that VPNs or other stuff like that will break it. Pretty much any smart TV made the past 5 years can do this.
I tried this (based on prior troubleshooting search), but didn't work for this TV: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B092Q1TRJC
No VPN

A neighbour's TV did show up, so I know it's possible. But I don't know what the requirement is. Any idea what's missing from that TV? Maybe some tech it needs to have, either built-in or separate attached device.