What Car Should I Buy If Money Were No Object?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
TheTimeLord

Re: What Car Should I Buy If Money Were No Object?

Post by TheTimeLord »

angeleyes wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:45 am Lamborghini Countach
Horrible retiree car to get in and out of.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
uaeebs86

Post by uaeebs86 »

A lot of posters completely ignored this in OP's request:

2. Not attracting too much attention.
"Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out." ― John Wooden
Big Worm

Post by Big Worm »

1986 Porsche 944 turbo, guards red 5 speed. And a 928.
JackoC

Post by JackoC »

uaeebs86 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:03 am A lot of posters completely ignored this in OP's request:

Some posters include me pointed out how subjective/elastic that is. What's 'too much' attention and what car attracts it? Though fair enough, OP specifically gave Rolls Royce as example of 'attractiing too much attention' and somebody later say 'get a Rolls Royce'. :happy

RR is a longstanding benchmark for attention getting. OP also mentioned Bentley but the modern VW subsidiary incarnation has a significantly different market strategy than BMW sub RR: Bentley's aren't that rare where I live, RR's still are. Likewise Ferrari, McLaren and Lambo sports cars aren't rare in my area. Whether they still 'attract too much attention' is up to the individual. I believe they attract some, and it wouldn't be a positive for me though not high among reasons I wouldn't get one (noise/ride livability on long road trips, reliability on same, limited extra performance/$ v the Porsche/BMW M/Merc AMG level). I guess there could be valid differences of opinion whether my Porsche 'attracts too much attention'. I perceive next to zero extra attention locally, but it is more on road trips to remote places. OTOH an older 'cute little' couple in an expensive car may not create the same impression as a younger person driving it. I've never perceived tension or bad feelings due to our car on trips. And if I viewed crime against us personally as at all likely that's somewhere we wouldn't go in any car.
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

uaeebs86 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:03 am A lot of posters completely ignored this in OP's request:

OP said they didn’t want to attract attention but then mentioned how they wanted to look at a Hennessy Charger Hellcat.

A Hellcat (or any tuned Charger) is probably one of the most conspicuous vehicles you could buy, purely from a sound perspective. People will hear you coming from blocks away. Cool cars, but completely obnoxious, and not very considerate if you live in a residential area. It could be an excellent daily driver if your goal is to have your neighbors to hate you. :D

I second the BMW M or Mercedes AMG suggestions. Nice, fun to drive, but won’t attract the wrong kind of attention.
bubbadog

Post by bubbadog »

How about a Lexus LX600?

Luxury, reliability, and go anywhere ability in one package.

Just don't look at the front grille
JayhawkGolfer

Post by JayhawkGolfer »

F150 Lightning

Safe, Utility, EV, great acceleration. If you can deal with parking and finding a charger. Hybrid Maverick as the backup choice.
sasquatch12

Post by sasquatch12 »

I would buy a Bentley Bentayga for day to day use and a Ferrari Roma for fun.
levelride

Post by levelride »

alfaspider wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:04 pm Lucid Air?
This is the way. Alternatively, the Tesla Model S Plaid.
Topic Author
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

NYCaviator wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 2:12 pm

OP said they didn’t want to attract attention but then mentioned how they wanted to look at a Hennessy Charger Hellcat.

A Hellcat (or any tuned Charger) is probably one of the most conspicuous vehicles you could buy, purely from a sound perspective. People will hear you coming from blocks away. Cool cars, but completely obnoxious, and not very considerate if you live in a residential area. It could be an excellent daily driver if your goal is to have your neighbors to hate you. :D

I second the BMW M or Mercedes AMG suggestions. Nice, fun to drive, but won’t attract the wrong kind of attention.
Thanks for the warning about the noise of the Hellcat. I didn't think the looks were too jaw-dropping, but never considered that the noise would be attention-getting. Crossing that off the list.
Topic Author
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

sasquatch12 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 4:34 pm I would buy a Bentley Bentayga for day to day use and a Ferrari Roma for fun.
That Bentley looks great! Thanks for the recommendation!
MH2

Post by MH2 »

Cruise wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:15 pm
Not Jacob Fugger wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:36 pm Lamborghini LM002 in subtle color — WTF was that?
Land Rover 130 Double Cab.
Audi RS6 Avant with carbon optic/black optic option (Batmobile).
Older Mercedes AMG wagon (W212 or earlier I think) w/ Brabus mods.
Porsche Sport Turismo Turbo in Volcano Gray.
Mercedes G63 AMG 6x6 Brabus. If you live in Saudi Arabia it won’t stand out too much.
coffeeblack wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 2:00 pm I'll play.

Audi RSQ8
Mercedes amg gt 53 s or 63s
Really impressed on how many respondents have suggested the Mercedes AMG. Definitely need to consider!

CloseEnough wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:22 am 2023 Prius Prime. Really.
Wow. Thanks for this suggestion. Really! I just spent some time looking at the website, and this looks like a pretty nice looking car.
AMG is Daimler's performance division. A G-Class is vastly different from an E-Class.

Each has their benefits and drawbacks. I would personally prefer an E-Class estate for most of the use cases an average person finds driving around in the states. Others prefer an SUV or a sedan.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Cruise wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 8:41 pm
NYCaviator wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 2:12 pm

Thanks for the warning about the noise of the Hellcat. I didn't think the looks were too jaw-dropping, but never considered that the noise would be attention-getting. Crossing that off the list.
My ~70yr old former drag racer neighbor has a modified (1000+ hp) hellcat and a Jeep trackawk, they are LOUD.
Not Jacob Fugger

Post by Not Jacob Fugger »

MH2 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:52 am
Cruise wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:15 pm
Not Jacob Fugger wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:36 pm Lamborghini LM002 in subtle color — WTF was that?
Land Rover 130 Double Cab.
Audi RS6 Avant with carbon optic/black optic option (Batmobile).
Older Mercedes AMG wagon (W212 or earlier I think) w/ Brabus mods.
Porsche Sport Turismo Turbo in Volcano Gray.
Mercedes G63 AMG 6x6 Brabus. If you live in Saudi Arabia it won’t stand out too much.
coffeeblack wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 2:00 pm I'll play.

Audi RSQ8
Mercedes amg gt 53 s or 63s
Really impressed on how many respondents have suggested the Mercedes AMG. Definitely need to consider!

CloseEnough wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:22 am 2023 Prius Prime. Really.
Wow. Thanks for this suggestion. Really! I just spent some time looking at the website, and this looks like a pretty nice looking car.
AMG is Daimler's performance division. A G-Class is vastly different from an E-Class.

Each has their benefits and drawbacks. I would personally prefer an E-Class estate for most of the use cases an average person finds driving around in the states. Others prefer an SUV or a sedan.
If one were to de-badge an AMG wagon/estate and replace the wheels and grille with the e-class versions you’d probably have a very close proxy to the Alpina/Hartge/AMG “sleeper” cars of the 80s and 90s. Maybe add a baby on board/Harper Valley PTA/Fairfax United jr soccer sticker in the rear window for good measure. Or this one if you live where people expect a more agricultural look.

https://youtu.be/sCuGNMOHIy4
Last edited by Not Jacob Fugger on Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Not Jacob Fugger wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 6:54 pm If one were to de-badge an AMG wagon/estate and replace the wheels and grille with the e-class versions you’d probably have a very close proxy to the Alpina/Hartge/AMG “sleeper” cars of the 80s and 90s. Maybe add a baby on board/Harper Valley PTA/Fairfax United jr soccer sticker in the rear window for good measure.
Seriously funny!
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Buy something that won’t diminish your employment, social or business prospects.

What I mean is, for many people, an ostentatious car signals insecurity and poor judgment.
Last edited by AnnetteLouisan on Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taylor Larimore

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Bogleheads:

My wife died after 62 years of a very happy marriage and three children. Our biggest difference was about money. She was a spender and I was a saver.

My subsequent partner can afford any car she wants. She drives a 14 year old Honda. It is one of the reasons I invited her to live with me.

Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "One of our most important values is candor--tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth, with no strings attached, and let the chips fall where they may."
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

Cruise wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 6:57 pm
Not Jacob Fugger wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 6:54 pm If one were to de-badge an AMG wagon/estate and replace the wheels and grille with the e-class versions you’d probably have a very close proxy to the Alpina/Hartge/AMG “sleeper” cars of the 80s and 90s. Maybe add a baby on board/Harper Valley PTA/Fairfax United jr soccer sticker in the rear window for good measure.
Seriously funny!
Another good AMG option to get you over the potholes. You could rip the badges off, of course, to maintain a low profile.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2014- ... amg-6x6-2/
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
Onlineid3089

Post by Onlineid3089 »

Those new Bronco Raptors look pretty good.
OatmealAddict

Post by OatmealAddict »

Audi SQ5 Sportback...in District Green. This is what I'm currently drooling over.
Last edited by OatmealAddict on Tue Jul 09, 2024 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

Get a Bentley and put Chrysler 300 badges on it.
mrb09

Post by mrb09 »

For performance and understated, the Ioniq 5N (Hyundai “N” is kinda like a BMW “M”) won the unmodified SUV class for Pike’s Peak this year, and was less than second off from the all time SUV record set by a Bentley Bentayg: https://electrek.co/2024/06/23/evs-shat ... k-impress/

But if money were no object and the “attention” constraint was removed, I’d get this converted Jaguar E type: https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/elec ... ports-car/
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Normchad wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 8:48 am Get a Bentley and put Chrysler 300 badges on it.
LOL :D
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.