Sept family vacation - West Coast

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
phiMD

Sept family vacation - West Coast

Post by phiMD »

Hi all, 2 adults + grandma, 3 kiddos (baby, 2 toddlers). We live in the PNW, any advice on a travel destination for early Sept, week long? Budget 5-7K.

Will only do non-stops with baby (that excludes many places). Hawaii possible, but 6hr flight (seems long and expensive), Los Cabos Mexico no direct flight from our airport in September. What travel sites do you recommend, I've only used Costco Travel or hear booking direct/separate might be more cost effective?
65/30/5
otinkyad

Re: Sept family vacation - West Coast

Post by otinkyad »

What do you want to do? Are you planning to include the kids or is grandma going as a babysitter?

I wouldn’t fly anywhere with a baby and two toddlers, much less for vacation.

I start with Google Flights. “Everywhere” is useful to explore possible destinations. In the end, I book everything directly. I prefer control and reliability over saving a few dollars.
bombcar

Post by bombcar »

That's six people. You could rent two minivans and slowly proceed down the coast. Or even an RV!

It depends on the endurance of the kids, though.

Otherwise a short flight to San Diego could be nice, depending on where in PNW you are. Everett flies direct.

The kids won't really care or remember what you do, so focus on the adults and grandma. Also a really big difference between 1 year old toddler and 3 or 4 year old.
Bmac

Post by Bmac »

San Juans, Victoria, Vancouver, Whistler? It's a great time of year weather-wise, as you are well aware. Schools will have started. Easy travel with young children. Main issue is the potential for smoke. By the way, Kenmore Air to any of the first three is delightful.

Post by 123 »

phiMD wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 2:21 pm ... 2 adults + grandma, 3 kiddos (baby, 2 toddlers). We live in the PNW, any advice on a travel destination for early Sept, week long? Budget 5-7K...
Good grief! That's going to be a lot of work and logistics with grandma and 3 kiddos. Grandma likely is more interested in the 3 kiddos. If grandma can manage the 3 kiddos for the week she'd probably prefer doing that, either at her place or in your home. The two adults can just go away to wherever. I don't think babies and toddlers really appreciate travel, they only care to be with someone who meets their needs. As long as the kiddos are happy with grandma let them be happy.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

Nearby hotel with an indoor pool.

The responses would be very different if there was someplace you wanted to go, but getting on a plane is not required to have a vacation, which is your stated goal.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

bombcar wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 2:48 pm That's six people. You could rent two minivans and slowly proceed down the coast. Or even an RV!
Two? You haven't met my parents.

Depending on the exact layout, and how seat belt laws are written at a given point in time, a single minivan can hold up to 8 people for a west coast road trip. :shock:

We didn't really enjoy the driving portion of those trips, but nobody went insane, and I do have fond memories of the variety of places we got to see along the way, so I second the suggestion for a road trip as one of many options, regardless of whether the OP has enough people in their party to properly fill a minivan or two.
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

Resort. San Diego? Cabo or PV are where we ended up with lil kids.
“At some point you are trading time you will never get back for money you will never spend.“ | “How do you want to spend the best remaining year of your life?“
Watty

Post by Watty »

phiMD wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 2:21 pm We live in the PNW, any advice on a travel destination for early Sept, week long?
I used to live in the Pacific Northwest and September is really one of the best times of year there and when I would recommend that people come to visit. I would suggest just staying there somewhere which is within driving distance and maybe renting a house on the coast or maybe a resort near someplace like Bend Oregon. There are also lots of things to do around the Columbia Gorge, Mt. Hood, Mt Rainier, or the Olympic Peninsula.

It It would be cooler but Banff or Victoria is only a short flight or a long days drive from many parts of the PNW but everyone would need a passport and it may be too late to get that.

Flying up to Juno Alaska would also be an option and you could rent a place there then do day trips from there.
cchrissyy

Post by cchrissyy »

I wouldn’t fly anywhere with a baby and two toddlers, much less for vacation.
and their 3 carseats, 2-3 strollers, how many bags ...

OP i have traveled quite a lot by plane with 3 kids but not until the youngest was in preschool.

agree you should find somewhere in driving distance. 4 hours max.
60-20-20 us-intl-bond
Happygo

Post by Happygo »

As you live close, you may have already done this, but getting a rental house on the beach in OR could be a good option. We also live in the northwest and we rent a house on the beach in OR about every other year; we pick a new town and rental each time. When we went when our kids were little, they loved playing in the sand and looking at tide pools, and the convenience of staying on the beach makes it easy to go back and forth as needed with little ones and reduces the need to pack coolers, diaper bags, etc. We never set out to do this as often as we do, but we love it so much that our kids, older now, are always wanting to go back. Good luck in whatever you choose!
bombcar

Post by bombcar »

cchrissyy wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 3:42 pm and their 3 carseats, 2-3 strollers, how many bags ...
Car seats and bags, perhaps, but you only need one stroller!

https://zoebaby.com/products/zoe-trio-t ... troller-v1

(And no joke, if you're really traveling with small kids it's a GODSEND, you can strap them in and push when things get to a push-shove scenario.)
Topic Author
phiMD

Post by phiMD »

Great ideas, thank you all.
65/30/5