How Do You Pay Your Housekeeper?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
BolderBoy

How Do You Pay Your Housekeeper?

Post by BolderBoy »

Another similar thread is loaded with declarations of,"I never write checks."

For those who have housekeepers, how do you pay them?

Since the 1980s I've always written them checks. My present housekeepers find my personal check waiting for them.

Cash would mean having to inconveniently go to the local bank often.

Other options I haven't considered?
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect
bombcar

Re: How Do You Pay Your Housekeeper?

Post by bombcar »

Bill pay could work, but this could also be a question skirting very close to "how do I help them avoid taxes".
LuckyInLife

Post by LuckyInLife »

My housekeeper has been with me for over 23 years. Method of payment has changed over that time, cash, checks, etc. Until very recently, we had been using Venmo, but now she had an issue with her account and we are doing Zelle.
cashheavy18

Post by cashheavy18 »

Check, 6+ years with the same housekeeper.
inverter

Post by inverter »

Zelle
44west

Post by 44west »

Delete
Last edited by 44west on Tue Jun 11, 2024 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barsoom

Post by Barsoom »

Check. Have had the same housekeepers for about 10 years.

-B
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

We used to pay by check. Today I’d use Venmo or Zelle.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
muffins14

Post by muffins14 »

BolderBoy wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 1:46 pm Another similar thread is loaded with declarations of,"I never write checks."

For those who have housekeepers, how do you pay them?

Since the 1980s I've always written them checks. My present housekeepers find my personal check waiting for them.

Cash would mean having to inconveniently go to the local bank often.

Other options I haven't considered?
You could pull out sufficient cash for like 10 cleanings next time you go, thus reduce the number of inconvenient bank trips by 90%
Crom laughs at your Four Winds
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

bombcar wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 1:48 pm Bill pay could work, but this could also be a question skirting very close to "how do I help them avoid taxes".
It is not my job or responsibility to make sure they pay their taxes. I bet many cleaning services, lawn service, and handymen we have hired over the years did not pay their taxes 100%. That is between them and the IRS.

We pay our cleaning service by check.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
jumbo shrimp

Post by jumbo shrimp »

EnjoyIt wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 1:58 pm
bombcar wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 1:48 pm Bill pay could work, but this could also be a question skirting very close to "how do I help them avoid taxes".
It is not my job or responsibility to make sure they pay their taxes. I bet many cleaning services, lawn service, and handymen we have hired over the years did not pay their taxes 100%. That is between them and the IRS.

We pay our cleaning service by check.
I can't remember if this is a state thing. I remember reading that paying for house cleaning/keeping doesn't need to be reported until it exceeds $X per year regarding taxes.
Topic Author
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

jumbo shrimp wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 2:00 pm I can't remember if this is a state thing. I remember reading that paying for house cleaning/keeping doesn't need to be reported until it exceeds $X per year regarding taxes.
I'm not employing housekeepers. They have always been independent contractors (bring their own supplies, may change the hour/day of cleaning by simply calling me, come when I'm here or not here, manage and supervise themselves, etc.)
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect
valleyrock

Post by valleyrock »

I give them a check made out to the service, in a sealed envelope with the boss's name written on it.

But I like the idea of Zelle, because there's no fee. My service doesn't like Venmo because they have to pay a fee for that, they say
Nivek

Post by Nivek »

Not for our home (we prefer to clean it ourselves) but I'm now having to pay someone to help my elderly parents who live in a different city. Zelle and Venmo are very common (we Zelle the current one).
Careful

Post by Careful »

They used to only take checks.

Since the pandemic, they started accepting PayPal. Very convenient since you can use CCs or just directly fund it with your bank account, as you prefer.
Bmac

Post by Bmac »

Cash. But it's $160 between 6 and 8 times/year. Mostly we keep the house pretty clean on our own. It helps that the kids are in college now.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Over the past 12 years the payment methods have changed from PayPal to check to Venmo to cash. I'm sure we'll change again.
Gardener

Post by Gardener »

I used to pay check and then I wanted to reduce maybe a small burden on them and just pay in cash.

I’ve had my cleaner only a year and I trust her. I leave cash on the table for her when I’m not home. I realize you can’t do that with everyone.
adestefan

Post by adestefan »

Straight cash homie.

Getting the cash isn't a problem since there is an ATM for my bank in the building I work in.
Lastrun

Post by Lastrun »

Zelle
psychodoc

Post by psychodoc »

Wine, compliments, and highly leveraged favors
welldone

Post by welldone »

We pay in cash. I take out money once a month and divvy it up for the weekly cleaning.
AlohaBill

Post by AlohaBill »

When I go to Nirvana, my housekeeper gets my Roth IRA, the house, the car, the S and P 500 fund, in other words the whole ball of wax. Somehow she’ll have to replace my cooking skills, my driving prowess, my lawn mowing expertise, and (at this time in my life… I can’t think of anything else). Gee, she’s getting shortchanged.
Oh she also gets sitting in companionable silence with me as we watch the boob tube.🤫
SVT

Post by SVT »

Zelle
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

Same cleaner for 40+ years.

Paid by checks until COVID, now cash at her request. We're one of her few remaining clients and don't want to lose her.

She's never asked for an increase. We've raised the amount every few years; getting cash is a very small chore.

As an aside, living in the suburbs of a major metropolitan area, we have never found any vendor that asks for or will accept zelle/Venmo type payment. We've asked, they won't take it. A few will do CCs, but most want a check or cash.
Outer Marker

Post by Outer Marker »

Zelle
NateH

Post by NateH »

stack of cash.
4X top-twenty S&P 500 prognosticator. I'd start a newsletter, but it would only have one issue per year. | dumb investor during 1999 tech bubble, current slice & dicer.
Joyful

Post by Joyful »

My housekeeper is Me!
I pay myself with a meal at my favorite restaurant or a mani/pedi.
blueblock

Post by blueblock »

Credit card. I use a service that keeps my number on file. They charge my card once the team has finished.
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

I pay in cash (at her request). Her rates are reasonable (well for NYC anyway) and she was a referall to me.
It's been 6 months but I would have no problem her working while I am away (usually I am there working on the computer).
chazas

Post by chazas »

I write a check. My housekeeper used to be ok with Venmo but she doesn’t want it any more - I’m assuming they tagged her as a commercial account.
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

Zelle.
"The big money is not in the buying and selling, but in the waiting.” Charlie Munger
EdNorton

Post by EdNorton »

adestefan wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 3:08 pm Straight cash homie.

Getting the cash isn't a problem since there is an ATM for my bank in the building I work in.
Last time I bought a new car, the salesman asked how I wanted to pay, I said "straight cash homie", went right over his head.
:sharebeer
Outside a dog, a book is man's best friend, inside a dog, it's too dark to read - Groucho
augryphon

Post by augryphon »

Cash money! When we find good household help, babysitters(formerly), housekeepers, etc, we pay more than they ask. We value the folks that that we can trust and count on to help us in our home!
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

Are you required to issue them a 1099 if you pay them more than $600 in a year?

Here says you "can", not "must".

However, I take issue with it prescribing using 1099's to report one's income. One should maintain a separate bookkeeping / accounting system to keep track of one's income.

There can legitimately be two different amounts: One reported on the 1099 and what you have as what you will report.

If you mail to me a check at the end of the year ... that would be on the 1099. But I'd not include it in my income if I did not receive it until the next year.

https://www.care.com/c/how-to-manage-ho ... 0the%20IRS.

What are my tax responsibilities? For tax filing purposes, you can provide your house cleaner with a Form 1099 after the year is over if you paid them a total of at least $600. They’ll accumulate additional 1099 tax forms from the other families they worked for throughout the year to report all their income and expenses to the IRS.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA »

House cleaners are literally the only thing we use checks for. They seem to prefer it to the alternatives for whatever reason.
lazynovice

Post by lazynovice »

Zelle and my hair stylist also takes Zelle.
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

EdNorton wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 8:04 pm
Last time I bought a new car, the salesman asked how I wanted to pay, I said "straight cash homie", went right over his head.
Went over my head too so I had to look it up and it's an amusing tale.

https://www.kare11.com/article/news/loc ... 52fbc4e5c7
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Housekeeper 1:

(chores/responsibilities) laundry and folding, kitchen cleaning, household vacuuming, cleaning 1 of 4 bathrooms, some light yard work, fix things. Service and clean the "Roomba" robot vacuums that run twice a week on each floor. Service the cars, trucks, tractors, UTV's, etc.

(compensation)
Baked Salmon dinner 2-3x/wk
Permission to take at least 1 long nap per day
Access to unlimited funds but so far, has never been accessed.
Use of a new Honda Passport Elite AWD.

Housekeeper 2:

(chores/responsibilities) all home and business operations, laundry, household cleaning, yard work, stable upkeep, horse petting and grooming and riding, hair stylist for Housekeeper 1. , chauffeur service for Housekeeper 1.

(compensation)
Access to unlimited funds and resources. Follows rules of thumbs for frugality and common sense.
Use of new Honda Passport Elite, new Toyota 4 Runner, Toyota Tundra TRD truck.
Paid in cash, check, ACH transfers, etc. Paid as needed.

Groundskeepers (new thing).
1. Zero Turn Mowing guy, street, fencelines, around buildings, etc. Paid with paper check on day of service.
2. Weed Eater guy. Works at the private golf course up the valley. Helps us as needed. Paid with paper check on date of service.
3. Brush Hog big tractor mower guy. Does various acreage, up to 20 acres a day, when we call. Paid with paper check on day of service.

Septic tank pumping and service. Twice per year. Paid with paper check on day of service.
Propane delivery truck. 1500 gallons total tanks but we pay for bringing up to 80 percent several times a year. Paid with credit card on day of service but also on account at the Propane company.

Recent housekeeping and home care for elderly disabled MIL and FIL.

FIL and MIL: housekeeping, cleaning, keeping up on things. Paid paper check.

MIL after FIL passed: (until MIL passed) 24/7 home care, housekeeping, cleaning, et al. Paid paper check and 1099 to each person.

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know