Global Entry Application turnaround times?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
lazybones18

Re: Global Entry Application turnaround times?

Post by lazybones18 »

My wife and 4 year old daughter got approved within 4-6 months
Infant son 1 year old ...stuck for 12+ months
Puyi

Post by Puyi »

stan1 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:23 pm
Puyi wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:22 pm I applied last week and was conditionally approved within 2 business days. In person interview scheduled first week of March
For renewal or first time? Do you have a Government security clearance (with a background investigation)?
First time, yes I have a clearance. Not sure if that makes a difference or not to be honest
porridge

Post by porridge »

LookinAround wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:20 am
porridge wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:14 am Mine and my spouses renewals were approved within a couple of days (applied this month). Cards came a week or two later.
When were they due to expire?
I don't remember the exact date, but they had expired between 1 and 2 years ago. I was surprised at not needing to re-interview.
OldSport

Post by OldSport »

Is it faster, easier, and worth it to get TSA Precheck?
LookinAround

Post by LookinAround »

porridge wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:38 pm
LookinAround wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:20 am
porridge wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:14 am Mine and my spouses renewals were approved within a couple of days (applied this month). Cards came a week or two later.
When were they due to expire?
I don't remember the exact date, but they had expired between 1 and 2 years ago. I was surprised at not needing to re-interview.
Thanks.

When I checked my Global Entry last June, I saw it didn't expire till May 2024 but I could renew up to a year early, so I did. I submitted my renewal last June. I assume that's why mine is still pending. Will see!
ryman554

Post by ryman554 »

LookinAround wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:52 pm
When I checked my Global Entry last June, I saw it didn't expire till May 2024 but I could renew up to a year early, so I did. I submitted my renewal last June. I assume that's why mine is still pending. Will see!
Speculation: They *definitely* prioritize folks who will be traveling/returning.

Anecdote 1: renewed my daughter three months before her expiry. Had a international trip returning on her day of expiry. Conditionally approved three days before return flight. Did (re)enrollment on entry.

Anecdote 2: renewed my son while on an international trip, six months before his expiry. Conditionally approved within a couple of days, two days before return flight. Did (re)enrollment on entry.

So, if you're traveling and coming back to the USA, my sense is they go ahead and review/approve those who need it and enrollment-on-arrival can be possible. Likely due to the fact that appointments are booked solid, so you couldn't get an interview even if you wanted to.
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

Four new applications filed in October were conditionally approved in 3 days.
JordanIB

Post by JordanIB »

JordanIB wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:34 pm Applied for renewal in June and still "pending review".
Approved today.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

Submitted my application for global entry renewal 2 days ago (expires in august) and was approved today. I'll take a 2 day turnaround.

There was zero change in my application info from when I first applied 5 years ago including my passport number.
syngameon

Post by syngameon »

I applied for renewal over 9 months ago. Still pending.
stlrick

Post by stlrick »

My wife and I applied for renewals at the same time. Her approval and new card came in a week, mine was pending for 14 months. Identical applications regarding documentation, travel, etc.
JordanIB

Post by JordanIB »

syngameon wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 9:34 pm I applied for renewal over 9 months ago. Still pending.
Mine was about 9 months - applied last June and was approved in March.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Spouse applied for first time in June, 2023. Still not even conditionally approved (born in US, no red flags on travel or criminal record, no background investigation in last 25 years).

My renewal was approved in 2 days (on a Saturday) with no need for any in person interaction. I had a current background investigation. No red flags.
syngameon

Post by syngameon »

I have a squeaky clean background and I am a new(ish; 1.5 years) federal employee at GS-13. So I went through extensive background checks recently. It makes no sense to me that my renewal remains pending after 9 months.
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

Friend and I both applied in the fall of 2023. Website said there was a 4-6 month wait.
3 days later I received an email inviting me to schedule the in person appointment; my friend received same email within 7 days.
Checked for in person appointments and there were none, but some googling indicated I should check on a Tuesday morning.
The following Tuesday, there were dozens of appointments at the airport near my home, starting 4 weeks from the date I checked, so I took one.
Got a temporary number at the appointment; the permanent card arrived in the mail 3 days later.

Total start to finish - application on line to receiving a Global Entry number was approximately 5 weeks.

I've never had any sort of government clearance. I've had a valid US passport literally my entire life (or at least since I was about 9 months old)
stan1

Post by stan1 »

syngameon wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:07 pm I have a squeaky clean background and I am a new(ish; 1.5 years) federal employee at GS-13. So I went through extensive background checks recently. It makes no sense to me that my renewal remains pending after 9 months.
Was a background investigation (such as for a clearance) complete at the time you applied for GE? It's not clear that a background investigation (not the same as a pre-hire "check") is the only factor, but I fully expect that data is shared between between Homeland Security and some departments/agencies especially if someone is enrolled in a continuous monitoring system. The few people who know the actual criteria can't say, and then there will be "random" additional steps as well.
CaptainT

Post by CaptainT »

Applied in early March got interviewed late March card in hand early april
stan1

Post by stan1 »

CaptainT wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:29 am Applied in early March got interviewed late March card in hand early april
For first time or renewal? Also varies by geographic location, the work appears to get farmed out to local offices not centralized.
CaptainT

Post by CaptainT »

stan1 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:30 am
CaptainT wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:29 am Applied in early March got interviewed late March card in hand early april
For first time or renewal? Also varies by geographic location, the work appears to get farmed out to local offices not centralized.
First time
stan1

Post by stan1 »

CaptainT wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:34 am
First time
Do you have a current background investigation?
CaptainT

Post by CaptainT »

stan1 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:38 am
First time
I have other security clearances but not high level
stan1

Post by stan1 »

CaptainT wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:42 am
stan1 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:38 am
First time
I have other security clearances but not high level
There we go, starting to see a trend, I suspect that helped you get GE faster as a new applicant (and renewals). Easy to do a query on SSN and DOB, and it improves whatever metrics are being briefed up the chain to clear these out of the backlog quickly.
syngameon

Post by syngameon »

stan1 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:14 am
syngameon wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:07 pm I have a squeaky clean background and I am a new(ish; 1.5 years) federal employee at GS-13. So I went through extensive background checks recently. It makes no sense to me that my renewal remains pending after 9 months.
Was a background investigation (such as for a clearance) complete at the time you applied for GE? It's not clear that a background investigation (not the same as a pre-hire "check") is the only factor, but I fully expect that data is shared between between Homeland Security and some departments/agencies especially if someone is enrolled in a continuous monitoring system. The few people who know the actual criteria can't say, and then there will be "random" additional steps as well.
No, the investigation was not complete when I applied for renewal. But OPM sent me a document stating that it was now complete in late fall last year.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

I applied late March 2023 for a September 2023 renewal. September came and went but had no problems with two international trips later that fall. Got renewal notification late February. My wife’s renewal was February 2024. We applied last August and she was renewed in around four weeks. Based on the differences in our renewals and what I’m reading here, there doesn’t appear to be much consistency.
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

Saving$ wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 11:01 pm Friend and I both applied in the fall of 2023. Website said there was a 4-6 month wait.
3 days later I received an email inviting me to schedule the in person appointment; my friend received same email within 7 days.
Checked for in person appointments and there were none, but some googling indicated I should check on a Tuesday morning.
The following Tuesday, there were dozens of appointments at the airport near my home, starting 4 weeks from the date I checked, so I took one.
Got a temporary number at the appointment; the permanent card arrived in the mail 3 days later.

Total start to finish - application on line to receiving a Global Entry number was approximately 5 weeks.

I've never had any sort of government clearance. I've had a valid US passport literally my entire life (or at least since I was about 9 months old)
Check for new appointments the 1st Monday of the month.

https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/national-m ... each-month
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Seems like they should raise the cost to get it up to a point where they can process these within a few months (such as by hiring contractors not using CBP uniformed personnel which in my experience is what they do -- maybe that's not true in all areas).
MindBogler

Post by MindBogler »

I recently had a Global Entry renewal that took less than a week.
syngameon

Post by syngameon »

My renewal was finally approved after 10 months.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

MindBogler wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 6:36 pm I recently had a Global Entry renewal that took less than a week.
Do you have a current federal Government clearance or something similar with a different name?
BuddyJet

Post by BuddyJet »

Applied for wife’s GOES renewal, 3/8/25 expiration, on Sunday. Had approval the next morning. No government clearances or other explanation for almost immediate approval.

FWIW, don’t forget 10/1/24 GOES price increase and probable application increase close to then.
Last edited by BuddyJet on Mon May 13, 2024 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
People say nothing is impossible. I do nothing all day.
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

My wife and I went through this process last year. I had got immediate approval or pre-approval, whatever it is called, and was able to schedule my interview for a couple of weeks later; my wife's application (she applied a few days after me) hadn't gotten off the ground at that point in time.

Here's the scoop I got when I talked with my interviewing officer. Apparently some applications go through computer/automated process and those get through asap (like mine did); others, like yours and my wife's, probably go through manual process which takes time as they are not as quick/efficient as the computer and/or they do extra review. So, you just got to wait your turn - my wife's took a few months (or weeks), I forget exactly how many. But the in-person interview was just a formality.

I believe they are progressively getting more backed up. I would bet I foresee and increase in the fees soon (though I doubt it will speed up the process). :oops:
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

stan1 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:14 pm Seems like they should raise the cost to get it up to a point where they can process these within a few months (such as by hiring contractors not using CBP uniformed personnel which in my experience is what they do -- maybe that's not true in all areas).
I suspect that is what is likely to happen. But please please pretty please - NO to any middle man gatekeepers one like VFS Global or whatever that firm is.

I had two friends go for European visit visas (they haven't yet gotten US citizenship - just lazy I guess), one for Switzerland and one for France. The one who went for the Switzerland visa got it without any hassles. The one when went for France visa had a tough time (thank you VFS Global!) - said that all applicants were treated like dirt by the employees - though she finally got approved.

Both these friends are highly specialized doctors (that might not really be relevant) but it will likely resonate better here.
Breezy

Post by Breezy »

My old one had been expired for about a year, and last month I applied for a new one. The website said it would be up to six months or something, but it was approved in less than three days! The card came within a week or two. I was stunned at how quick it was.
MindBogler

Post by MindBogler »

stan1 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:30 am
MindBogler wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 6:36 pm I recently had a Global Entry renewal that took less than a week.
Do you have a current federal Government clearance or something similar with a different name?
I had one, but it is long since expired. My initial application 5 years ago had a typical 90+ day turnaround to interview approval.
deikel

Post by deikel »

FWIW,

I highly recommend going to the office at JFK when returning from an international flight, it's a dedicated office after immigrations (you take a sharp right) and before customs - my wait time was exactly 30 seconds, the interview was fun and simple and the gal behind the desk send me an SMS with preliminary approval like 2h afterwards (on my connecting flight home) - super painless and friendly to boot.

I did upload all relevant documents up front and had them with me just in case. I did make an interview appointment at the time of upload just in case as well, but that was cancelled after my walk-in at JFK. The Trusted Traveler number came two days later by email if I recall correctly and 6 months later I got my NEXUS card for land entry (which I will probably never use, must have clicked something wrong I guess). Was Nov '24

Highly recommend going through INT JFK and doing it there.
Everything you read in this post is my personal opinion. If you disagree with this disclaimer, please un-read the text immediately and destroy any copy or remembrance of it.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

FYI, there are extensive discussions on Flyertalk:

First time applications:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted ... n-137.html

Renewal applications:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted ... lines.html
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Tip: LAX CBP office on La Cienega had next day interview appointments available (as of end of May 2024)
MtnTraveler

Post by MtnTraveler »

Just thought I would add my experience as it all seems so varied from person to person. Applied for my renewal in January (expires Oct 2024) and I was approved today. I'd read on FlyerTalk that people who had been waiting for a long time suddenly got approved for an interview while out of the country on travel so that is what I figured would happen to me. Pleasantly surprised that I won't have to interview while coming back from an upcoming international trip.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Cruise wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 3:30 pm FYI, there are extensive discussions on Flyertalk:

First time applications:

Renewal applications:

Yikes. We are late to the party, it seems.

Can someone use their Global Entry after reapplying if it hasn't yet been approved, of is it more like a Passport, where you must have it fully processed and with you to travel?

I just went to FT, and some *renewals* are taking quite a few months. There were quite a few reports of very long delays.
And others are... overnight!?

We are planning to travel in Sept, and our GIs expire in Nov and next spring.
Can/should we re-apply now, or wait until we return. I'm not sure when our "next" trip out of country will be.

Thanks.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Flobes

Post by Flobes »

ResearchMed wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 4:47 am Yikes. We are late to the party, it seems.
I just renewed. It was very prompt and efficient.
• 5/20: I applied for renewal, online.
• 5/22: Email notice of approval.
• 6/3: Card arrived via USPS.

Having read all these horror stories about delayed renewals, I applied in 2024 for GE card that expires in May 2025. System required me to wait until a day after it was one full year to expiration.

New card added five years to the term, my GE now expires in 2030, ie nothing was lost by early renewal.
JordanIB

Post by JordanIB »

ResearchMed wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 4:47 am
Cruise wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 3:30 pm FYI, there are extensive discussions on Flyertalk:

First time applications:

Renewal applications:

Yikes. We are late to the party, it seems.

Can someone use their Global Entry after reapplying if it hasn't yet been approved, of is it more like a Passport, where you must have it fully processed and with you to travel?

I just went to FT, and some *renewals* are taking quite a few months. There were quite a few reports of very long delays.
And others are... overnight!?

We are planning to travel in Sept, and our GIs expire in Nov and next spring.
Can/should we re-apply now, or wait until we return. I'm not sure when our "next" trip out of country will be.

Thanks.

RM
Yes, you can still use it.
You become eligible to renew your membership one year prior to program expiration. If you submit a renewal application before your membership expires, you will be able to continue to use benefits up to 24 months after your membership expiration date.
https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-trav ... -questions
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

I applied for first time in February on a Saturday. Signed up for appointment the following Thursday. I could have made an appointment earlier in the week at the airport, but available times then were very early.

Even though GE website said a passport and utility bill would meet the ID/address requirements, they needed my driving license at the appointment.

Appointment was called on time and lasted maybe 5 minutes.

The case didn’t arrive for 2-3 weeks after the appointment, so there was some waiting time. I used the Precheck benefits the week after the card arrived, no problem.
Even though I put the number on all of my airline accounts, I did have to enter it manually to my reservation, since it was booked prior. It worked just fine. You don’t need the card in hand for Precheck benefits but it does count as valid ID (real ID even) for domestic airport security.

Very happy that the past delays were gone, at least in winter time.
Note the GE fee increases for FY25 on Ovtober 1 2024.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

criticalmass wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 8:02 am I applied for first time in February on a Saturday. Signed up for appointment the following Thursday. I could have glen earlier in week at the airport, but available times were very early.
Did you have a current federal background investigation (or similar) at the time of application? They use reciprocity so that helps people who already have federal investigations go faster.
destiny

Post by destiny »

Applied for renewal early May and got approved a week later and two week later got the physical card.
once bitten, twice shy
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

JordanIB wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 7:50 am

Yes, you can still use it.
You become eligible to renew your membership one year prior to program expiration. If you submit a renewal application before your membership expires, you will be able to continue to use benefits up to 24 months after your membership expiration date.
https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-trav ... -questions

Great, many thanks!

I guess we'll go ahead and apply for the renewals now.

It's nice they let you continue to use an expired one for a while (nice long "while"!) as long as the renewal application was timely submitted.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

ResearchMed wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 8:20 am
I guess we'll go ahead and apply for the renewals now.

It's nice they let you continue to use an expired one for a while (nice long "while"!) as long as the renewal application was timely submitted.

RM
Apply as soon as eligible. Check to see if any of your credit cards reimburse GE fees.
p1db

Post by p1db »

You folks might already know this, but the Global Entry card serves as an acceptable ID for domestic air travel. You can use it in place of (soon required to be RealID compliant) State driver license or a passport. And if you lose your GE card, it is very easy to get another one, unlike a DL or passport.
Silverado

Post by Silverado »

Interest data points here.

I applied for renewal on Global Entry on March 11, 2024. My current membership expires on 7 August, 2024.

Status continues to say “wait for conditional approval” on the we site with “Pending Review” in a header banner.
queso

Post by queso »

Silverado wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:35 am Interest data points here.

I applied for renewal on Global Entry on March 11, 2024. My current membership expires on 7 August, 2024.

Status continues to say “wait for conditional approval” on the we site with “Pending Review” in a header banner.
It's not just you. I applied for renewal late last year (I think Oct or Nov - I can't even remember it has been so long) and mine is still at the same status as yours.