How To Avoid PFAS And Other "Forever Chemicals"

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
RJC

How To Avoid PFAS And Other "Forever Chemicals"

Post by RJC »

Dear friends,

Recently I have been learning more about the dangers of PFAS and other "forever chemicals". Are there certain things that we should avoid more than others? Bottled water vs non-stick pans? This is not a medical question. We have 2 young kids so we are concerned about the long-term effects.

Is there a prioritized list somewhere? I am a bit overwhelmed.

Thanks in advance.
Blue456

Re: How To Avoid PFAS And Other "Forever Chemicals"

Post by Blue456 »

We have been looking into this ever since having kids. Here is few things we started doing:
1. We generally don't eat out. We don't trust how food is made by restaurants.
2. We cook in pots and pans made in United States out of food grade steel. No teflon or any other coating.
3. We use re-usable glass bottles instead of plastic ones.
4. At work I reheat food in glass containers without plastic top.
5. My wife when she shops she uses Bobby Approve and Yuka app to select food which is least likely to have carcinogens.
6. My wife works part time and cooks from scratch all food. She will bake bread and make our own pasta.
7. We only buy organic vegetables and my wife started growing her own in the backyard and at home.
8. We converted our gas to stove to electric one and when we cook we open our windows to get good air circulation.
mengo

Post by mengo »

Water proofing stuff on sofas, carpets and some clothes would be first on my list.

Until very recently the list included microwave popcorn, pizza boxes, and paper takeaway containers. Not sure what replaced the waterproofing in those products (so we continue to minimize most of those). Think the EWG has a list of common sources of exposure and a database about drinking water levels.

Then public water can be filtered. We use an NSF 53 filter but I think the new standards were only introduced recently (2021/2022) so i don’t know if my filter passed under older or newer standard. https://www.nsf.org/consumer-resources/ ... king-water

Good luck
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Don’t let your kids play on artificial turf.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Topic Author
RJC

Post by RJC »

Blue456 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 8:58 am We have been looking into this ever since having kids. Here is few things we started doing:
2. We cook in pots and pans made in United States out of food grade steel. No teflon or any other coating.
5. My wife when she shops she uses Bobby Approve and Yuka app to select food which is least likely to have carcinogens.
6. My wife works part time and cooks from scratch all food. She will bake bread and make our own pasta.
7. We only buy organic vegetables and my wife started growing her own in the backyard and at home.
8. We converted our gas to stove to electric one and when we cook we open our windows to get good air circulation.
Thank you for this list.

In terms of steel pans, are they stainless steel or carbon steel? Do they work well with delicate foods such as eggs, pancakes, etc.?
PoorPlumber

Post by PoorPlumber »

What is the non-stick pan risk?

I thought I recall that non-stick is ok provided it is used in the "medium" heat range. (400F Max?)

Not to be used for high heat searing.
WhitePuma

Post by WhitePuma »

This website is your friend: https://pfascentral.org/pfas-free-products/
Blue456

Post by Blue456 »

RJC wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:09 am
Blue456 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 8:58 am We have been looking into this ever since having kids. Here is few things we started doing:
Thank you for this list.

In terms of steel pans, are they stainless steel or carbon steel? Do they work well with delicate foods such as eggs, pancakes, etc.?
Im actually not sure about the difference. I thought that steel was made by adding some kind of form of carbon to iron. In general I try to just use plain food grade stainless steel made in the US. I obtained most of my cookware from t his website:

https://www.all-clad.com/hot-deals.html ... FoQAvD_BwE

We also use iron cast whenever possible. For cooking eggs I have no problem using stainless steel. My wife makes pancakes so Im not sure whether she uses iron cast or stainless steel.
Blue456

Post by Blue456 »

PoorPlumber wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:23 am What is the non-stick pan risk?

I thought I recall that non-stick is ok provided it is used in the "medium" heat range. (400F Max?)

Lack of evidence does not imply that risks are not there.
mlipps

Post by mlipps »

The original PFAS study was done on my hometown. The toxins were present in our water due to the manufacture of Teflon and other similar products. Therefore, non stick pans seem like an obvious one to avoid.

Also agree with installing a home water filter. A reverse osmosis filter is most effective from my research, but the charcoal ones also do quite a bit of good and can be easier to install, depending on your set up.
Calhoon

Post by Calhoon »

Don't live near an airport. If you do, test your water. The foam they used to use for routine fire fighting practice was filled with the stuff and gets into the water supply.
Marathon Man

Post by Marathon Man »

We only cook with cast iron pans made in the US. Don't drink out of plastic bottles.
Calhoon

Post by Calhoon »

Don't live near an airport. If you do, test your water. The foam they used to use for routine fire fighting practice was filled with the stuff and gets into the water supply.
InvisibleAerobar

Post by InvisibleAerobar »

RJC wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:09 am Thank you for this list.

Another option (beside steel or cast iron) is enameled cast iron, say from Le Creuset, Staub, or Made In. Stay away from enameled cast iron produced in PR China.

Pans with ceramic oxide coating (e.g. GreenPan) should also work. Downside is that they don't work with induction unless there's a magnetic base.

Other than effect of heat, the other serious issue is damage of the coating from abrasion.

I once had a George Forman grill. Worked fine. Except as a college student, I didn't apply best practices when it came to cleaning, so I resorted to Scotch pads, which damaged the surface.

I'm pretty sure my fancy rice cooker has a liner having a coating of PTFE (polytetrafluoroethane, generic name of Teflon) or something similar. We soak the liner and then clean it using a soft sponge.
rogue_economist

Post by rogue_economist »

In the modern world it is actually quite difficult unfortunately. I've been trying to get away from plastic cooking implements in favor of wood, glass, and metal. Contrary to what some say about not trusting restaurants, from what I have seen commercial kitchens use a lot of metal that is easy to sterilize and is highly durable which gives some peace of mind. Reusable drink containers are another area I'm trying to concentrate on rather than plastic.

That said, I don't think the risk is so high as to not enjoy life over. We all take risks, from flying to driving to drinking to smoking, so its important to keep perspective and use an 80/20 approach.
Society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they shall never sit in
jayjayc

Post by jayjayc »

RJC wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:09 am In terms of steel pans, are they stainless steel or carbon steel? Do they work well with delicate foods such as eggs, pancakes, etc.?
Stainless steel, carbon steel and cast iron are all good since no teflon or non-stick material is added to the surface. To compensate, you need to make your own non-stick coating or use technique to cook eggs.
  • stainless steel - preheat pan. Wet your hand and flick some water droplets onto pan. If the droplets start dancing around the pan, then add oil and cook your eggs and they will not stick.
  • Cast iron & Carbon steel - you need to create your own non-stick coating by seasoning it. You season it by adding a thin layer of oil and then heating the pan. Do this multiple times to make it non-stick. Take care of your pan and this process is a 1 time event.
PoorPlumber

Post by PoorPlumber »

Blue456 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 11:58 am

Lack of evidence does not imply that risks are not there.
This feels like some Yogi Berra logic.
:D
Seriously though, thanks for all commentary.
I have and use a coated pan at medium temperature, only use silicone spatulas with, and "soft" cleaning.
But might dump them.
Thinking on it...
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

You’ll want to avoid testicles. All joking aside, the following is a pretty good read. https://www.npr.org/sections/health-sho ... man%20body.

Surprising to me, was how much they found in the testicles of recently neutered dogs. These would be young dogs. So they haven’t been roaming around for many decades, and the results can’t be attributed to pollution of the 60s and 70s.
Hebell

Post by Hebell »

We have six large two and a half gallon glass containers with a handle. We fill them to 2 gallons, which keeps them light enough that I can move them as well as my husband.

We go to our nearest Hy-Vee grocery store, to their machine. And fill each one up at 39 cents a gallon and bring them home.

We have a lovely all glass container, with a spigot. I use the water for cooking and drinking.

That water is distilled, irradiated, and filtered. I don't think you can get it much more treated than that. I think that's the best way to avoid PFAS.
Hebell

Post by Hebell »

I use a type of Skillet called a hexagonal finish. It's actually stainless steel, that has been chiseled with a laser, to create these small lattice type structures in the shape of hexagons on the pan surface. Makes for an excellent nearly non-stick saute skillet.
InvisibleAerobar

Post by InvisibleAerobar »

PoorPlumber wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 1:14 pm This feels like some Yogi Berra logic.
:D
Seriously though, thanks for all commentary.
I have and use a coated pan at medium temperature, only use silicone spatulas with, and "soft" cleaning.
But might dump them.
Thinking on it...
Not all coatings are the same. In general, inorganic coatings (such as sol gel silica coatings) are fine, and such coatings are also used for non-stick purposes.

Organic polymer based coatings are less fine, as most such materials can soften around 350 F and then react/decompose.

Silicones is a special case. Usually not used for coatings (as in things that are not self-supporting), but are often used as cladding or on its own. It's technically an organic polymer, but its backbone is quite comparable to that of silica. I don't mind using it as it's inert, but it's rather useless for cooking, as it's generally a bit too pliant to be useful.

If you do end up getting enameled cast iron, then all the sudden you'll have to baby those as well, and all hard utensils (e.g. tongs) need to be clad in silicone as to not damage the enamel.
rogue_economist wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 1:00 pm In the modern world it is actually quite difficult unfortunately. I've been trying to get away from plastic cooking implements in favor of wood, glass, and metal. Contrary to what some say about not trusting restaurants, from what I have seen commercial kitchens use a lot of metal that is easy to sterilize and is highly durable which gives some peace of mind. Reusable drink containers are another area I'm trying to concentrate on rather than plastic.

That said, I don't think the risk is so high as to not enjoy life over. We all take risks, from flying to driving to drinking to smoking, so its important to keep perspective and use an 80/20 approach.
Watch out for wooden product. I bought a set of cooking utensils that look to be made of solid wood. It wasn't until the side pieces broke off/delaminated during use that I realized that each implement was made by gluing pieces of wood together. After the fact, it's actually quite easy to notice the seams, but before, not as much. I'm sure we ingested some yummy wood glue in the process.
Last edited by InvisibleAerobar on Mon Jun 10, 2024 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blue456

Post by Blue456 »

Hebell wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 1:21 pm I use a type of Skillet called a hexagonal finish. It's actually stainless steel, that has been chiseled with a laser, to create these small lattice type structures in the shape of hexagons on the pan surface. Makes for an excellent nearly non-stick saute skillet.
Do you have a link where I could buy this?
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

I use cast-iron cookware, glass containers, and a water filter. I don't accept paper receipts, other than taking a picture of it when it is a work expense.

But I think going to extremes to avoid "toxins" does more harm than the actual toxins.
Topic Author
RJC

Post by RJC »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:09 am Don’t let your kids play on artificial turf.
This I haven't heard but makes sense. Both of my kids enjoy soccer and once in a while a game will be on turf...
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

RJC wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 1:36 pm
TomatoTomahto wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:09 am Don’t let your kids play on artificial turf.
This I haven't heard but makes sense. Both of my kids enjoy soccer and once in a while a game will be on turf...
We have wells here in town. They wanted to use artificial turf for the soccer and football fields and after a study was done, it was voted down as too dangerous to our water supply.

ETA: aside from drinking water, I’m sure falling down on the stuff repeatedly isn’t that good for you either.
Last edited by TomatoTomahto on Mon Jun 10, 2024 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
RJC

Post by RJC »

jayjayc wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 1:12 pm
RJC wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:09 am In terms of steel pans, are they stainless steel or carbon steel? Do they work well with delicate foods such as eggs, pancakes, etc.?
Stainless steel, carbon steel and cast iron are all good since no teflon or non-stick material is added to the surface. To compensate, you need to make your own non-stick coating or use technique to cook eggs.
  • stainless steel - preheat pan. Wet your hand and flick some water droplets onto pan. If the droplets start dancing around the pan, then add oil and cook your eggs and they will not stick.
  • Cast iron & Carbon steel - you need to create your own non-stick coating by seasoning it. You season it by adding a thin layer of oil and then heating the pan. Do this multiple times to make it non-stick. Take care of your pan and this process is a 1 time event.
Thanks for these tips. I always struggle with stainless steel or cast iron when making eggs. I'm probably cooking them way too hot.

Also, I have heard that eggs taste metallic on cast iron?
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

If you're buying something online, plug in a California ziocode for the product in question and you might find that it contains known carcinogens. The economic reality is that there are plenty of products advertised as non-toxic -- and they will claim to be free of any number of listed toxic chemicals -- but Prop 65 will list a toxic chemical they left out. Prop 65 is considered a joke by some people, but there was a consumable product I used to buy on Amazon, and after looking into the Prop 65 warning, found it contained lead, among other things.

Also, there was a recent thread on Corelle dishware. As I recall, the advice was to avoid anything with decorations and stick with plain white. I suspect this could apply to other things like coffee mugs from China. (Though I suspect your kids aren't interested in coffee at this point.) :)
Topic Author
RJC

Post by RJC »

whodidntante wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 1:35 pm I use cast-iron cookware, glass containers, and a water filter. I don't accept paper receipts, other than taking a picture of it when it is a work expense.

But I think going to extremes to avoid "toxins" does more harm than the actual toxins.
This is true and why I was hoping to see how others prioritized their lists. Paper receipts is a good one too.
cjcerny

Post by cjcerny »

RJC wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 1:40 pm
whodidntante wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 1:35 pm I use cast-iron cookware, glass containers, and a water filter. I don't accept paper receipts, other than taking a picture of it when it is a work expense.

This is true and why I was hoping to see how others prioritized their lists. Paper receipts is a good one too.
Specifically, thermal paper receipts. Thermal paper is loaded with PFAS.
Hebell

Post by Hebell »

Blue456 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 1:29 pm
Hebell wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 1:21 pm I use a type of Skillet called a hexagonal finish. It's actually stainless steel, that has been chiseled with a laser, to create these small lattice type structures in the shape of hexagons on the pan surface. Makes for an excellent nearly non-stick saute skillet.
Do you have a link where I could buy this?

Code: Select all

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0CB17WW11

It's out of stock right now. Probably because my friends bought them!
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

Op

I think the risk is greater if you are near a former factory

Hoosick Falls is such a case 2016

https://cumulis.epa.gov/supercpad/SiteP ... id=0202702

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/28/clim ... suits.html
minimalistmarc

Post by minimalistmarc »

I’ve added this to my long list of things I choose to ignore. I don’t want to anxiously avoid a lot of things to try and add a few years at the end of life. Just eat well, exercise, sleep enough etc. Everything else is mostly pointless.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

minimalistmarc wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 2:17 pm I’ve added this to my long list of things I choose to ignore. I don’t want to anxiously avoid a lot of things to try and add a few years at the end of life. Just eat well, exercise, sleep enough etc. Everything else is mostly pointless.
Username checks out :beer
jayjayc

Post by jayjayc »

RJC wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 1:39 pm Thanks for these tips. I always struggle with stainless steel or cast iron when making eggs. I'm probably cooking them way too hot.

Also, I have heard that eggs taste metallic on cast iron?
Most likely, the pans were not hot enough. Given how heavy stainless steel and cast iron pans are, they take longer to preheat.

I've never experienced or heard of eggs tasting metallic, but it's true that a tiny amount of iron can transfer to your food. Generally, this is viewed as a beneficial feature but I can understand if you don't want that. Typically the iron transfer occurs when you cook acidic foods.
supalong52

Post by supalong52 »

I got rid of a Goretax rain jacket for this reason. Bought a rain jacket from Vaude instead, which claims to be PFAS free. We also don't use Teflon pans.

But we could improve in many areas. A lot of food packaging uses Teflon, like potato chip bags, etc. I play a lot of golf and I'm sure hitting off driving range mats kicks up a lot of PFAS particulates.

Also my dental floss (tape) is coated with PFAS. My dentist thinks my oral hygiene is great though...
Trance

Post by Trance »

If I remember correctly the absolute worst source are non stick pans. Explicitly if they've been scratched. You're supposed to replace them instantly but no one does.

I made the swap to cast iron and it's honestly not as much hassle as everyone makes it seem. You just add an extra step at the end of getting it hot and wiping oil on it. And everything tastes so much better
“The stock market is a device for transferring money from the impatient to the patient.” - Warren Buffet | Don't performance chase with America. Hold everything at market weight.
Makefile

Post by Makefile »

minimalistmarc wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 2:17 pm I’ve added this to my long list of things I choose to ignore. I don’t want to anxiously avoid a lot of things to try and add a few years at the end of life. Just eat well, exercise, sleep enough etc. Everything else is mostly pointless.
That is an argument to be made, as I read a paper from some industry group of small, rural water utilities. They were arguing that as long as PFAS is still being intentionally added to things like cosmetics and food containers, and that those were bigger exposure pathways than water, that it didn't make sense to move heaven and earth to try and filter it out of the water supply until they get addressed first.
MadHungarian

Post by MadHungarian »

It's such a complicated world these days! Back when i was growing up we just dumped the old engine oil behind the woodshed (i guess on the theory that it came out of the ground so it can go back into the ground?), and we never wore helmets while riding our bicycles, or used child-seats in our cars. And we drove a Pinto. And all of us who are still alive are still here.
Second Round

Post by Second Round »

I'm still in the early days of learning about this stuff ... I didn't know about the connection to thermal paper for instance (or some kinds of dental floss).

w/r/t cookpans and cookpots, it was my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong) that most of the PFAS release into the environment occurs in the production of the ttem, not the use of the item itself (short of abusive use or massive wear/tear). So I'm not sure it's as helpful throw a good-condition pot or pan into a landfill. But it might be helpful to buy something different next time.

I'm glad I stopped Mrs. Second Round from getting rid of our Revere Ware stainless, copper-bottom skillet, just because we haven't used it in ages. We have a Revere Ware set going on 32 years old of which it is part. I'll admit, nonstick has been super handy. But I can learn another way. It'll really be something if I learn the ways of cast iron cookware. I had such a skillet and it wasn't a good fit for me, as I tend to clean vigorously with hot soapy water and sometimes a scrubby side. Having grown up in the Rust Belt, I recoiled at the inevitable tiny rust specs that would appear after such a washing. I tried to keep up with seasoning but it seemed like such a pain, kind of a wasteful one too. And Mrs. S.R. didn't care for the weight of the cast iron skillet. This was before they added the extre lip/handle on the other side from the main handle.

So IDK if we'll repurchase one of those. But we do have the stainless steel skillet. (and I remember how fun that was to clean off eggs if you had inadequate oil in the pan. Holy cow, that stuff practically forms a new alloy bonded with the pan bottom]
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

I'm somewhat in a related industry working in the topical field and I'm of the opinion you can't. First, it's not just "PFAS/PFOS" but the ever expanding definition of that term (with or without any basis in science). As it expands it is covering so many chemicals that it touches almost everything. It's a hopeless mess.
FeralCat

Post by FeralCat »

Second Round wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 7:21 pm I'm still in the early days of learning about this stuff ... I didn't know about the connection to thermal paper for instance (or some kinds of dental floss).

w/r/t cookpans and cookpots, it was my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong) that most of the PFAS release into the environment occurs in the production of the ttem, not the use of the item itself (short of abusive use or massive wear/tear). So I'm not sure it's as helpful throw a good-condition pot or pan into a landfill. But it might be helpful to buy something different next time.

I'm glad I stopped Mrs. Second Round from getting rid of our Revere Ware stainless, copper-bottom skillet, just because we haven't used it in ages. We have a Revere Ware set going on 32 years old of which it is part. I'll admit, nonstick has been super handy. But I can learn another way. It'll really be something if I learn the ways of cast iron cookware. I had such a skillet and it wasn't a good fit for me, as I tend to clean vigorously with hot soapy water and sometimes a scrubby side. Having grown up in the Rust Belt, I recoiled at the inevitable tiny rust specs that would appear after such a washing. I tried to keep up with seasoning but it seemed like such a pain, kind of a wasteful one too. And Mrs. S.R. didn't care for the weight of the cast iron skillet. This was before they added the extre lip/handle on the other side from the main handle.

So IDK if we'll repurchase one of those. But we do have the stainless steel skillet. (and I remember how fun that was to clean off eggs if you had inadequate oil in the pan. Holy cow, that stuff practically forms a new alloy bonded with the pan bottom]
I have never seasoned any of my inexpensive Lodge pans. They do come pre-seasoned, and I have never needed to redo the seasoning. After using them, I scrub them under hot water with a plastic scrubbie (yikes, plastic) with one of the environmentally friendly dishwashing liquids (Biokleen, 7th Generation, etc.). I don't use Dawn dishwashing liquid. Dawn will strip the skin off of your hands if you use it regularly. I make sure the pans are completely dry before putting them away to avoid rust. I always use an oil or fat when I use the pans to cook food. If I make eggs, for instance, I add butter to the cast-iron which makes the surface completely non-stick. The other requirement is to not cook anything acidic in black cast iron, i.e. tomatoes. This is all I do to keep this kind of cookware free of rust, and the surface seasoned and slick. It is not as difficult as people make it seem.
scout1

Post by scout1 »

The rabbit hole of things you can avoid never ends. flouride, pesticides, BPA, microplastics, MSG. I let the market for ideas figure it out and things get banned. The research on all this is pretty circumstantial. It’s just too hard to research well. It’s not like what it gets replaced with is ever much better anyways. Honestly i think this topic should be locked under health advice.
msj16

Post by msj16 »

I am planning on avoiding most tea bags since they can have plastic in them. Stash tea bags do not contain plastic but use wood fiber.
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

Nate79 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:18 pm I'm somewhat in a related industry working in the topical field and I'm of the opinion you can't. First, it's not just "PFAS/PFOS" but the ever expanding definition of that term (with or without any basis in science). As it expands it is covering so many chemicals that it touches almost everything. It's a hopeless mess.
Especially now when things that make one "feel" bad are not to be tolerated. I "think" the main issue can be related to "follow the money", e.g. the lawyers who feed on a gullible population to fill their pockets, or a media that feeds a never ending stream of sensational news to to the gullible population to keep things stirred up and people tuned in so the advertisement income increases.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

I have done nothing to avoid PFAs for a couple of reasons. First, I think they are impossible to avoid and if one could, life would be so miserable to not be worth living. Secondly, they have been around for over 80 years and yet life expectancy figures are still increasing. I'm all for removing unnecessary chemicals out of the chain of life to make the world a safer place but I'm not going to stop frying an egg in a non-stick skillet due to fear mongering. Nearly any chemical substance not normally in our body, is toxic in high enough levels.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

I will always use nonstick skillets for frying or scrambling eggs. Also for fish. It's simply too hard to cook these foods without the nonstick pans. The nonstick pans I use are from Scanpan because they are supposedly one of the safest brands. I use stainless steel, cast iron, or enameled cast iron for my other cooking.
Second Round

Post by Second Round »

FeralCat wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:41 pm I don't use Dawn dishwashing liquid. Dawn will strip the skin off of your hands if you use it regularly.
That's an extraordinary claim. If it were true, I'd have a hard time explaining how I still have skin on my hands. Citation, please?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I removed a post regarding life expectancy. This thread has run its course and is locked (controversial). See: Personal Consumer Issues
Note that this subforum has a much lower threshold for locking or removing posts than the financial and investing subforums. In general, controversial, offensive, pointless, divisive or mean-spirited posts or topics may be locked, edited or deleted (with or without notice) at the discretion of the moderating staff even if they do not otherwise violate forum policies.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.