Hot water heater seeping water

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
YeahBuddy

Hot water heater seeping water

Post by YeahBuddy »

We have an HTP SSU-45 indirect gas water heater, installed in 2013. We are the original owners. It carries a lifetime warranty. Recently we have observed some water on the ground under the heater. It appears as though the bottom "seam" has some water seeping through.. there's a ring of rust around that bottom seem as well as the connections. The top of the water heater is perfect.

Now comes some issues. My usual plumber was a no show yesterday, and did not respond to my 2 follow up phone calls. So I'm moving on from them and today received a quote from another highly rated local plumbing company.

The assessment was that the "nipple" adapter could be loose or leaking, causing water to overflow the internal (drip pan, not sure if that's correct terminology), or the water heater itself could need replacement. The plumber opted to pursue the replacement pathway.

The quote to replace is $5,100. They would remove the water heater and if HTP determines it eligible for replacement under warranty, we would receive a $1,300 refund. So $3,800 or $5,100.

Does this seem excessive? I feel another quote or two is in order but I'm wondering if anyone here has some better plumbing insight to this issue or how to proceed.
Light weight baby!
livesoft

Re: Hot water heater seeping water

Post by livesoft »

Terribly excessive in my opinion. The lifetime of your heater is probably 10 years, so a lifetime warranty has run out. It is not your lifetime, but the lifetime of the tank.

We have 2 water heaters and have had them replaced for about $700 each a few years ago. So even with inflation, I would expect yours to cost less than $1500 unless your heater is up 5 flights of stairs.

The internet is a wonderful thing: https://www.homedepot.com/services/c/co ... /9058c024e
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
JoeJohnson

Post by JoeJohnson »

livesoft wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 5:58 pm Terribly excessive in my opinion. The lifetime of your heater is probably 10 years, so a lifetime warranty has run out. It is not your lifetime, but the lifetime of the tank.

We have 2 water heaters and have had them replaced for about $700 each a few years ago. So even with inflation, I would expect yours to cost less than $1500 unless your heater is up 5 flights of stairs.
An indirect water heater is not the same as a simple gas water heater. Brief Internet research suggests they are expensive.

OP needs to get more quotes /thread
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

JoeJohnson wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 6:09 pmAn indirect water heater is not the same as a simple gas water heater. Brief Internet research suggests they are expensive.

Thanks! But does the OP even need to use an indirect water heater?
toblerone

Post by toblerone »

livesoft wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 6:11 pm
JoeJohnson wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 6:09 pmAn indirect water heater is not the same as a simple gas water heater. Brief Internet research suggests they are expensive.

Thanks! But does the OP even need to use an indirect water heater?
Also, did OP register for the "lifetime" warranty within 6 months of purchase? And then there's the list of 32 warranty exclusions.
https://htproducts.com/literature/lp-786.pdf

The indirect water heater costs about 2x what a regular water heater costs so that's likely the reason for the high quote.
bobn60014

Post by bobn60014 »

As always, whose lifetime? ;)
PoorPlumber

Post by PoorPlumber »

You can't know what's "excessive" until you get at least 3 quotes.
Then you can get an average of what is being charged for your area.
In my experience warranties are now mostly a sales tool with as many exclusions or interpretations as possible they are almost never honored.
ALL water chemistry numbers not in the range we like? No warranty.
Didn't have the anode inspected annually? No warranty.
Didn't use a pen with blue ink on your paperwork? No warranty.
Etc.
Get 3 quotes from licensed and insured plumbers and expect no warranty to be honored due to requirements or interpretation of requirements.
Good luck.
NewishBog

Post by NewishBog »

Warranties on major home products (WH, HVAC, roofs) are useless. You can get upset about it, get no satisfaction about it, and move on or you can move on. Replace the WH - i paid $1200 parts and labor recently for a normal electric WH.
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

YeahBuddy wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 5:52 pm We have an HTP SSU-45 indirect gas water heater, installed in 2013. We are the original owners. It carries a lifetime warranty. Recently we have observed some water on the ground under the heater. It appears as though the bottom "seam" has some water seeping through.. there's a ring of rust around that bottom seem as well as the connections. The top of the water heater is perfect.

Now comes some issues. My usual plumber was a no show yesterday, and did not respond to my 2 follow up phone calls. So I'm moving on from them and today received a quote from another highly rated local plumbing company.

The assessment was that the "nipple" adapter could be loose or leaking, causing water to overflow the internal (drip pan, not sure if that's correct terminology), or the water heater itself could need replacement. The plumber opted to pursue the replacement pathway.

The quote to replace is $5,100. They would remove the water heater and if HTP determines it eligible for replacement under warranty, we would receive a $1,300 refund. So $3,800 or $5,100.

Does this seem excessive? I feel another quote or two is in order but I'm wondering if anyone here has some better plumbing insight to this issue or how to proceed.
Indirect water heaters can be pretty pricey. Still I would get a few quotes.
How often was the anode checked and/or replaced? Once the anode is gone, tank corrosion is imminent.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

YeahBuddy wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 5:52 pm We have an HTP SSU-45 indirect gas water heater, installed in 2013. We are the original owners. It carries a lifetime warranty.
Has OP contacted the manufacturer?
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
mjg

Post by mjg »

YeahBuddy wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 5:52 pm We have an HTP SSU-45 indirect gas water heater, installed in 2013. We are the original owners. It carries a lifetime warranty. Recently we have observed some water on the ground under the heater. It appears as though the bottom "seam" has some water seeping through.. there's a ring of rust around that bottom seem as well as the connections. The top of the water heater is perfect.
If you haven't had annual service by a plumber, I don't think you will have any luck with this "lifetime warranty". See page 20 and 23 of the manual. Page 23 outlines that maintenance is required to maintain the warranty, and page 20 describes the maintenance both by the owner and the "installer / qualified service provider".

Ten years was a good run - many water heaters fail earlier.

Can't comment on price other than to say for that price a switch to a high quality tankless heater might be worth exploring. As long as you do the annual backflush, which is a simple task the homeowner can do provided the installation puts in the correct valves for flushing, they hold up very well nowadays.
Topic Author
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

criticalmass wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 12:55 am

How often was the anode checked and/or replaced? Once the anode is gone, tank corrosion is imminent.

Likely never. My plumber never recommended any service on it.
Light weight baby!
Topic Author
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

mjg wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 10:33 am
If you haven't had annual service by a plumber, I don't think you will have any luck with this "lifetime warranty". See page 20 and 23 of the manual. Page 23 outlines that maintenance is required to maintain the warranty, and page 20 describes the maintenance both by the owner and the "installer / qualified service provider".

Can't comment on price other than to say for that price a switch to a high quality tankless heater might be worth exploring. As long as you do the annual backflush, which is a simple task the homeowner can do provided the installation puts in the correct valves for flushing, they hold up very well nowadays.

I'll assume I'm out of luck with the warranty. My plumber and a couple others I talked to did not want to flush it. They said flushing it could cause more problems than solve, would cost more over time vs the cost of the heater (if I paid to have it serviced), and even this most recent plumber I had at my house yesterday said that there's no way to tell how much contaminant he flushed out, if he did it. Did he flush out 50% of all contaminants? or 100%? Or 3%?

2 plumbers I spoke to were surprised it failed this early but would still recommend HTP.
Light weight baby!
Topic Author
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

cheese_breath wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 10:11 am
YeahBuddy wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 5:52 pm We have an HTP SSU-45 indirect gas water heater, installed in 2013. We are the original owners. It carries a lifetime warranty.

Yes I did. Did you have another question?
Light weight baby!
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

YeahBuddy wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 10:45 am
cheese_breath wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 10:11 am

Yes I did. Did you have another question?
Nope. That's it. :happy
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
snic

Post by snic »

YeahBuddy wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 5:52 pm The assessment was that the "nipple" adapter could be loose or leaking, causing water to overflow the internal (drip pan, not sure if that's correct terminology), or the water heater itself could need replacement. The plumber opted to pursue the replacement pathway.
So let me get this straight. The plumber says it could either be something really cheap (replacing an adapter) or something really expensive (replacing the entire water heater). The plumber "opted to pursue replacement" - but did you ask him to figure out whether the leak actually is from the nipple adapter? It seems the very first thing you need to do is figure out what is causing the leak. Then, if the water heater has a lifetime warranty, there are probably procedures you need to follow to get reimbursed for repairs or replacement, so the next step is to figure out what those are. And it's quite possible that something like a nipple adapter isn't covered because it's not actually part of the water heater.
JoeJohnson

Post by JoeJohnson »

criticalmass wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 12:55 am

What anode rod?
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

From the information given, this is a stainless tank and does not have an anode rod.

Indirects are a way of heating domestic water using the space-heating boiler.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells
noretirement4me

Post by noretirement4me »

Hi, I was recently in the exact same situation! Indirect 45Gal SuperStor Ultra seeping water at the bottom seam. It was about 13-14 year old already and trying for a warranty claim didn't seem worth the effort. Local plumber came and replaced it with a Bradford White 40gal (SW-2-40R-L), all told parts+labor+disposal came out to about $2300. This was in Oct of 2022.

So I'd say definitely shop around, I had initially made the mistake of going through Lowes/Home Depot and one of the companies they contracted out to quoted me $6700 at the time! I asked for a bill of materials and never heard back so I don't know what they were planning to replace it with, maybe a 14-karat solid gold water heater or something because they were out of their freaking minds.

Oh and I'm in a fairly HCOL so adjust price/expectations accordingly.
Topic Author
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

snic wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 6:59 pm
YeahBuddy wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 5:52 pm The assessment was that the "nipple" adapter could be loose or leaking, causing water to overflow the internal (drip pan, not sure if that's correct terminology), or the water heater itself could need replacement. The plumber opted to pursue the replacement pathway.
So let me get this straight. The plumber says it could either be something really cheap (replacing an adapter) or something really expensive (replacing the entire water heater). The plumber "opted to pursue replacement" - but did you ask him to figure out whether the leak actually is from the nipple adapter? It seems the very first thing you need to do is figure out what is causing the leak. Then, if the water heater has a lifetime warranty, there are probably procedures you need to follow to get reimbursed for repairs or replacement, so the next step is to figure out what those are. And it's quite possible that something like a nipple adapter isn't covered because it's not actually part of the water heater.

Yup, pretty much. So I'll be getting more quotes. That plumber said he's have to drain the water and it would be a lot of labor when I may just need a new heater anyways. Looks like he was just trying to get the most money for the job possible.
Light weight baby!
Topic Author
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

This may come as a "no brainer" to some, but make sure you check licensure when getting quotes for jobs at your house. Two recommendations have a expired apprentice plumber licenses!
Light weight baby!
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

Rule of thumb for most jobs like this is contractor price on the parts plus same for labor. If the retail price of heater is $1300, the contractor will have a markup of maybe 50% so let's say $1900, then $1900 for installation so $3800.
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
Topic Author
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

Does anyone know about tankless on demand water heaters? Mine is not tankless but wondering if I should upgrade.
Light weight baby!
tonyclifton

Post by tonyclifton »

Any chance the water is from a pressure regulator that is releasing water? I once mistakenly replaced a water heater when it turned out it was the pressure regulator. The plumber also told me that water heaters don’t usually leak “slow.” If the bottom is corroded and interior cracked you will have gallons of water (the whole tank will empty).
We're wolves

Post by We're wolves »

YeahBuddy wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 11:19 am Does anyone know about tankless on demand water heaters? Mine is not tankless but wondering if I should upgrade.
I have a Navien tankless water heater and really enjoy the endless hot water. Consecutive 20 minute showers for everyone in the family? No problem with a tankless. However, there are a few considerations to keep in mind. Cost and installation are generally higher than straight replacement, there is an annual maintenance to flush the unit, and (the biggest downside in my mind), if there is a power outage, you instantly have no hot water, since there is no tank of hot water you can draw from.
Globalviewer58

Post by Globalviewer58 »

Rinnai RL94eN including installation $2,714 in June 2022. This is a natural gas model installed outdoors in our climate so no cost for venting. Local plumber disconnected old tank water heater, installed new tankless on exterior wall, ran water lines and gas line to unit. It has been working without any issues to supply kitchen, laundry, 2 bathrooms. You can find the proper size tankless for your needs on their website.

Annual maintenance is to flush unit to remove scale deposits.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

Globalviewer58 wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 12:27 pm Rinnai RL94eN including installation $2,714 in June 2022. This is a natural gas model installed outdoors in our climate so no cost for venting. Local plumber disconnected old tank water heater, installed new tankless on exterior wall, ran water lines and gas line to unit. It has been working without any issues to supply kitchen, laundry, 2 bathrooms. You can find the proper size tankless for your needs on their website.

Annual maintenance is to flush unit to remove scale deposits.
Do you need to install an optional power supply for it to deliver hot water in a power outage?
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

YeahBuddy wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 11:19 am Does anyone know about tankless on demand water heaters? Mine is not tankless but wondering if I should upgrade.
Friends had a house with one that got destroyed in a power failure and freeze in south east Texas. They just installed a relatively inexpensive gas heater afterwards since that was there before the previousl owners installed the tankless.
PoorPlumber

Post by PoorPlumber »

Yes. It always requires power to operate.

All tankless now, to my knowledge, will not have a standing pilot.
PoorPlumber

Post by PoorPlumber »

Something to note- "Good" plumbers don't want callbacks for an issue after they have supposedly solved the customers problem.
Customers are mad.
Often the issue may have zero to do with the original assessment and repair.
So they'll feel cheated if charged for the new issue.
And it often ends up costing the business even more in reputation cost.

That's why often you'll get, "It's probably better to replace the whole thing" rather than, "I can repair this for x but that gives zero warranty on anything else..."

Just not worth the arguments and damage to reputation when factoring unpredictability of other components.

An adapter/nipple connection was mentioned earlier as a possible leak point.
Often these are buried under insulation and an outer jacket. So, just like a pinhole in an inner steel tank, it's impossible to know without damaging or destroying the outer jacket.

So everyone ends up in a darned if you do, darned if you don't situation with typically the best answer is replacement.

Again, check with 3 currently licensed and insured people in your area. Recommendations from others you know is usually best.
4 and 5 star reviews online don't mean much anymore.
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

I wouldn't consider moving from an indirect to a tankless an upgrade. There are issues generic to the so-called "instant"; the indirect will give you truly endless hotwater (as long as you don't exceed the gal/min flow.

And another domwhat dated explanation:
https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/ar ... heat-water

Here's one comparison:
[url]https://savehomeheat.com/comparing-indi ... aters/[url]
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells
meebers

Post by meebers »

Had my NG water heater replaced 3 weeks ago. 3 professional plumber company bids, $1550, $3200 and $2795. I took the 1550, he was here in and out in about 2 hours. On thing I never seen before [NG water heaters cannot be mounted on the floor was set on a metal stand in the garage]. His hand truck had a winch that lifted the bottom rung up, He tilted the tank back a little, slid the rung in, belted it to hand truck and down the driveway he went. Mounted the new tank, cranked it up and slid it on the table. No back strain etc. :)
Topic Author
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

We're wolves wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 12:26 pm
I have a Navien tankless water heater and really enjoy the endless hot water. Consecutive 20 minute showers for everyone in the family? No problem with a tankless. However, there are a few considerations to keep in mind. Cost and installation are generally higher than straight replacement, there is an annual maintenance to flush the unit, and (the biggest downside in my mind), if there is a power outage, you instantly have no hot water, since there is no tank of hot water you can draw from.

The last one is not an issue in my eyes, as prior to this we always had electric water heaters, so we never had hot water with power outages (unless we took a quick shower and used the available hot water supply).

Wondering if you or anyone else here has opinions on this unit - a family handyman/contractor recommends it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CCM ... =UTF8&th=1
Light weight baby!
Topic Author
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

meebers wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 7:09 pm Had my NG water heater replaced 3 weeks ago. 3 professional plumber company bids, $1550, $3200 and $2795. I took the 1550, he was here in and out in about 2 hours. On thing I never seen before [NG water heaters cannot be mounted on the floor was set on a metal stand in the garage]. His hand truck had a winch that lifted the bottom rung up, He tilted the tank back a little, slid the rung in, belted it to hand truck and down the driveway he went. Mounted the new tank, cranked it up and slid it on the table. No back strain etc. :)

I would've taken the $1550 as well. And the easy remove/install was exactly what I was discussing yesterday with friends/family. It's not like we need all new pipes run and a new install area. Just looking for the cheapest/best option. Can't wait to get some different quotes today and tomorrow.
Light weight baby!
meebers

Post by meebers »

YeahBuddy wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 5:45 am
meebers wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 7:09 pm Had my NG water heater replaced 3 weeks ago. 3 professional plumber company bids, $1550, $3200 and $2795. I took the 1550, he was here in and out in about 2 hours. On thing I never seen before [NG water heaters cannot be mounted on the floor was set on a metal stand in the garage]. His hand truck had a winch that lifted the bottom rung up, He tilted the tank back a little, slid the rung in, belted it to hand truck and down the driveway he went. Mounted the new tank, cranked it up and slid it on the table. No back strain etc. :)

I would've taken the $1550 as well. And the easy remove/install was exactly what I was discussing yesterday with friends/family. It's not like we need all new pipes run and a new install area. Just looking for the cheapest/best option. Can't wait to get some different quotes today and tomorrow.
One thing I found out about my supply lines [PVC} are no longer permitted next to the exhaust. So he added the metal flexible lines. He also changed my PVC valves to copper ones. Did not change the price :beer
PoorPlumber

Post by PoorPlumber »

CPVC. 8-)
Topic Author
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

meebers wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 8:22 pm

One thing I found out about my supply lines [PVC} are no longer permitted next to the exhaust. So he added the metal flexible lines. He also changed my PVC valves to copper ones. Did not change the price :beer

Excellent. I have my original plumber scheduled to come out Friday between 2-4pm. He will assess and also clean out our gas boiler.

Backup plan is I ordered a cheap (but with good reviews) tankless water heater from amazon and a family contractor / plumber will install. He installed the same one in his house and it's instant, unlimited hot water. Can't wait to see what happens.
Light weight baby!
Topic Author
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

NewishBog wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 9:29 pm Warranties on major home products (WH, HVAC, roofs) are useless. You can get upset about it, get no satisfaction about it, and move on or you can move on. Replace the WH - i paid $1200 parts and labor recently for a normal electric WH.

It was replaced under warranty!
Light weight baby!
Topic Author
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

mjg wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 10:33 am

I did not have the original receipt so my plumber just needed proof we lived in the house at the time of the WH install.
Light weight baby!
PoorPlumber

Post by PoorPlumber »

YeahBuddy wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 5:50 am
NewishBog wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 9:29 pm Warranties on major home products (WH, HVAC, roofs) are useless. You can get upset about it, get no satisfaction about it, and move on or you can move on. Replace the WH - i paid $1200 parts and labor recently for a normal electric WH.

It was replaced under warranty!
Awesome! Glad they stood behind it.
seltzer

Post by seltzer »

YeahBuddy wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 5:52 pm The quote to replace is $5,100...

Does this seem excessive?
Depends on where you live, the reasonable estimate will vary. It might be higher than the national average for a couple reasons:

1. It's an HCOL area and the contractors need to afford to live too.

2. On top of the above, many contractors charge higher prices to those they perceive as wealthy (nice big house, luxury cars, etc).

3. Contractors' "peak season" has recently started. People put off many projects until summer. Contractors have booked up their schedule during April/May and many are not desperate for work. They can charge higher prices due to higher demand. The contractor may have thrown out a "go away" quote (they call it something more profane) because they don't want/need the work but would be willing to squeeze it in for a fat paycheck.
Topic Author
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

seltzer wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:09 am
YeahBuddy wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 5:52 pm The quote to replace is $5,100...

Does this seem excessive?
Depends on where you live, the reasonable estimate will vary. It might be higher than the national average for a couple reasons:

1. It's an HCOL area and the contractors need to afford to live too.

2. On top of the above, many contractors charge higher prices to those they perceive as wealthy (nice big house, luxury cars, etc).

3. Contractors' "peak season" has recently started. People put off many projects until summer. Contractors have booked up their schedule during April/May and many are not desperate for work. They can charge higher prices due to higher demand. The contractor may have thrown out a "go away" quote (they call it something more profane) because they don't want/need the work but would be willing to squeeze it in for a fat paycheck.

I do live in a VHCOL area. However, it's more a case of overcharging/greed. Stick with me.

I had the job done by my regular plumber, I'll call Plumber A, and when I casually mentioned the name of the other plumber, which I'll call Plumber B, I found out some back story. Plumber B has been around a long time, is a huge company, and the owners run several other businesses. Plumber A's owners had been previously employed by Plumber B. In good standing, no hard feelings, etc. Plumber B owners are very wealthy, likely worth tens of millions of dollars conservatively. Apparently Plumber B is notorious for excessively high and unreasonable quotes.

This just goes to further solidify the well known "multiple quotes" theory. One quick story. I found Plumber A years ago when obtaining quotes for an Oil to Natural Gas conversion at my home. Quotes were:

Name ----------- Cost ----------- ----------- Equipment
M. ----------- $13,544.86 (oil tank by other) ----------- Viessman
K. ----------- $11,200.00 (oil tank by other) ----------- Alpine
Plumber A ----------- $9604.00 (all inclusive) ----------- Veissman/Crown
XXX ----------- $17,871 (with extra zone heat) ----------- Navien

So not only was my plumber "Plumber A" significantly cheaper, they included the old oil tank disposal. Plumber A also did ensure an extra zone heat is available for our future project.
Light weight baby!
Lanham

Post by Lanham »

>Thanks! But does the OP even need to use an indirect >water heater?

An indirect is more efficient and eliminates that losses that go with a standing flue. It will also last several times as long - ours is 20 years old. If you have an opportunity to replace a standard water heater with an indirect, do it.
Lanham

Post by Lanham »

>Thanks! But does the OP even need to use an indirect >water heater?

An indirect is more efficient and eliminates that losses that go with a standing flue. It will also last several times as long - ours is 20 years old. If you have an opportunity to replace a standard water heater with an indirect, do it.