At what age do your kids get jobs?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
YeahBuddy

Re: At what age do your kids get jobs?

Post by YeahBuddy »

Arabesque wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 7:19 am My kids worked on getting into good colleges with scholarships, which both did. They worked in college and are now working at great well paying jobs.

Different families and different kids have different needs.

That's a great approach. I focused more on work and friends than school, back in high school. Luckily I met my wife as a senior in H.S. and she got me focused on studying and getting serious about life. We are now providing that focus for our kids now.
Light weight baby!
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

My three kids all started working at age 16. The two oldest worked as life guards. The youngest worked in a restaurant.
toomanysidehustles

Post by toomanysidehustles »

YeahBuddy wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 8:17 pm While I think a job would eventually be a good idea, I feel their education and sports come first, and then allowing them to enjoy just being kids is more important than getting jobs right now.

What's everyone's thoughts on this?
Both my kids were 10 or 11. Lawn mowing and car washing in our neighborhood for my son, dog walking and pet sitting for my daughter.
soccerrules

Post by soccerrules »

Kids took "jobs" around age 12-14, when they wanted spending money. As they got older it became more challenging to find employment that fit with their life -- school, studying, club sports, church etc.

Ages 12-15 - sports referee, dog/house sitting, babysitting, lawn moving, yardwork.

16 (driving) - same as 12-15 plus lifeguard and restaurant server behind the counter.
Don't let your outflow exceed your income or your upkeep will be your downfall.
ts5es

Post by ts5es »

Our oldest son turns 19 tomorrow. He started mowing lawns at 12 and ran a pretty decent business up until he turned 16. At 16 he started working for my husband doing tough manual labor for a little above minimum wage. He graduated high school with an associates degree, but decided to take a gap year and work full time for my husband to see if that is what he wanted to do. He hasn't stopped learning, but just doesn't see the value in a degree. I just pulled up his accounts. He has $110,000 between his Roth IRA and taxable brokerage account at Vanguard and $4000 in his checking account.

15 year old daughter also started young, probably around 12 babysitting, pet sitting, and dog walking. At 14 she began working at a restaurant as a hostess. She currently has $22,000 saved.

13 (almost 14) has severe learning disabilities but is very eager to work. She currently volunteers every Sunday at church and has a weekly paid babysitting job. She helped her older sister with her pet sitting/walking business and an elderly neighbor paid her to take the trash to the road every week even though we told her she didn't have to. She had a list of about eight businesses she wanted to apply to on her 14th birthday. My husband and I wanted to ensure she would be successful at her first job so he started bringing her to work with him twice a week. She is learning basic office skills and earning minimum wage. She has roughly $6000 saved.

Hoping my younger two will follow in their older siblings footsteps with strong work ethics and willingness to listen to dad and mom and invest their money from a young age.
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

ts5es wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:58 pm Our oldest son turns 19 tomorrow. He started mowing lawns at 12 and ran a pretty decent business up until he turned 16. At 16 he started working for my husband doing tough manual labor for a little above minimum wage. He graduated high school with an associates degree, but decided to take a gap year and work full time for my husband to see if that is what he wanted to do. He hasn't stopped learning, but just doesn't see the value in a degree. I just pulled up his accounts. He has $110,000 between his Roth IRA and taxable brokerage account at Vanguard and $4000 in his checking account.

15 year old daughter also started young, probably around 12 babysitting, pet sitting, and dog walking. At 14 she began working at a restaurant as a hostess. She currently has $22,000 saved.

13 (almost 14) has severe learning disabilities but is very eager to work. She currently volunteers every Sunday at church and has a weekly paid babysitting job. She helped her older sister with her pet sitting/walking business and an elderly neighbor paid her to take the trash to the road every week even though we told her she didn't have to. She had a list of about eight businesses she wanted to apply to on her 14th birthday. My husband and I wanted to ensure she would be successful at her first job so he started bringing her to work with him twice a week. She is learning basic office skills and earning minimum wage. She has roughly $6000 saved.

Hoping my younger two will follow in their older siblings footsteps with strong work ethics and willingness to listen to dad and mom and invest their money from a young age.
I immediately induct all three of your children in the Children's Savings Hall of Fame!!!! Congratulations!
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."