Favorite Movies - Name Five

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
bertilak

Re: Favorite Movies - Name Five

Post by bertilak »

sureshoe wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:06 am How is Back to the Future not on any of these lists?
There are LOTS of good movies that don't make it to the top 5!
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Enganerd

Post by Enganerd »

McDougal wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:48 am 1. Deliverance
2. Midnight Cowboy
3. The Big Lebowski
4. Easy Rider
5. The Godfather (most of them, anyway!)

#Cruncher wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:39 am Sorry, but I can't limit myself to only five. :(

First I'll second these made by previous posters:
Casablanca (1942)
All About Eve (1950)
The African Queen (1951)
The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)
North by Northwest (1959)

My Fair Lady (1964)
Deliverance (1972)
Young Frankenstein (1974)
Airplane (1980)
The Shawshank Redemption (1994)...

bertilak wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:55 am I want ​to put all of these in my top 5 but they don't fit! On another day I might rearrange them.

TIER I
Princess Bride (wonderful, happy, tale)
The Third Man (music and cinematography are hypnotic)
Young Frankenstein
Godfather I and II
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

TIER II
The Day of the Jackal
Deliverance
The Shining
Chinatown

TIER III
A Christmas Story
Animal House
Blazing Saddles
The Friends of Eddie Coyle
The Music Man

And I should probably go over cruncher's list to see what I missed.

I am surprised to see so many mentions of Deliverance. I really like the movie but feel ashamed to admit it to anyone in person. I grew up an outdoorsman in the SE and it does a great job showing the SE forests as wilderness (this is normally reserved for the Western states). Also I like the archery, white water and acting, and the writing and effort that went into movies in the 70s. I just wish that one scene was dialed back quite a bit... Really makes it hard to mention that movie without folks immediately thinking about it.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Too many to mention. But at the top …

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1947) Humphrey Bogart, Walter Huston, Alfonso Bedoya, directed by John Huston.

A study in greed and suspicion.
Lynx310650

Post by Lynx310650 »

Amadeus
Back to the Future
Coming to America
Memories of Murder (Korean movie)
Cool Runnings
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

101- Dalmations. Dad took me and two other little girls to this movie for my 4th birthday while my mom was in hospital with my newly born brother.

The Sound of Music. Mom took me to a fancy down town movie theater with a balcony and crystal chandeliers. We both dressed up. Nothing like seeing the initial view of Alps in a balcony.

Hunt for Red October.

Arrival - i have watched this a dozen times at least.

Tied. Shawshank Redemption and Stand by Me (Stephen King short stories).
Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k »

Boglenaut wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:50 am This is almost impossible. Likely I would give a different five on any given day depending on my mood.

1. Shawshank Redmption
2. Paint Your Wagon
3. Zulu
4. Lord of Rings trilogy (if only they toned down the Legolas character)

Number 5? Hmmm... maybe:

A Christmas Story
Star Wars (as it was called when I saw it in the theater around 1977)
Forrest Gump
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
Longest Day

If I went through and read this entire thread, I would likely add even more.

Honorable mention to Star Gate. It is not in my top ten by itself, but got me hooked on the entire franchise which spanned years.
I love Paint Your Wagon! When I made my (now-DH) watch it years ago, he couldn't believe there was a movie in which Clint Eastwood sang. ;)
core4portfolio

Post by core4portfolio »

1. Shawshank redemption
2. Gladiator
3. Great battle
4. Admiral roaring currents
5. Independence day
Allocation : 80/20 (90% TSM, 10% on ARKK,XBI,XLK/individual stocks and 20% TBM) | | Need to learn fishing sooner
nguy44

Post by nguy44 »

The Godfather (Parts I and II - yeah, two movies, but best watched as one)
The Producers
Blazing Saddles
Chariots of Fire
The Sixth Sense
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Enganerd wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:17 pm [re Deliverance:]
I just wish that one scene was dialed back quite a bit... Really makes it hard to mention that movie without folks immediately thinking about it.
But I think that scene was necessary to provide the motivation for subsequent actions. Those subsequent actions were the heart of the psychological aspects of the movie and the basis of the award nominations: three Academy Award and five Golden Globe nominations. That scene probably was responsible for the movie not winning, other than the technical achievement award. People were uneasy about admitting their respect for the movie. In that sense the movie succeeded.

Deliverance showed me that Burt Reynolds was a very good, serious, actor.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Dornhoefer

Post by Dornhoefer »

In chronological order:

Dr. Strangelove (1964)
Le Samouraï (1967)
Michael Clayton (2007)
The American (2010)
fyre4ce

Post by fyre4ce »

Dornhoefer wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:23 am In chronological order:

Dr. Strangelove (1964)
Le Samouraï (1967)
Michael Clayton (2007)
The American (2010)
Thank goodness someone mentioned Dr. Strangelove! That has to be my #1.
johnegonpdx

Post by johnegonpdx »

Hmm. Since you are hunting for good movies you may not have seen, I'm going to list 5 Japanese filmmakers I've enjoyed over the years and one of their films each I love to rewatch.

1. Akira Kurosawa - Ikiru
2. Yasujiro Ozu - Tokyo Story
3. Kitano Takeshi - Kikujiro
4. Hayao Miyazaki - Laputa
5. Juzo Itami - Tampopo
Alkali Ike

Post by Alkali Ike »

Nicolas wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 10:32 pm Too many to mention. But at the top …

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1947) Humphrey Bogart, Walter Huston, Alfonso Bedoya, directed by John Huston.

A study in greed and suspicion.
+1

As a very young boy, my dad recommended that I watch this movie with him. Knowing that our tastes at the time could not have been more divergent, I went into it pretty confident that I was about to waste two hours of my life. I couldn't have possibly been more wrong. To this day, it remains my all time favorite.

Thanks dad.

2-5 in no particular order :

The Bride Of Frankenstein
Citizen Kane
Jaws
The Silence Of The Lambs
sasquatch12

Post by sasquatch12 »

My favorite 5 movies:

Fight Club

Pulp Fiction

Tokyo Story - A Japanese drama film from 1953, a masterpiece that still holds up today. A must-see.

Departures - The film follows a young man who returns to his hometown after a failed career as a cellist and stumbles across work as a nōkanshi—a traditional Japanese ritual mortician. A very good film and worth seeing.

Blade Runner
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

johnegonpdx wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:00 am Hmm. Since you are hunting for good movies you may not have seen, I'm going to list 5 Japanese filmmakers I've enjoyed over the years and one of their films each I love to rewatch.

1. Akira Kurosawa - Ikiru
2. Yasujiro Ozu - Tokyo Story
3. Kitano Takeshi - Kikujiro
4. Hayao Miyazaki - Laputa
5. Juzo Itami - Tampopo
I overlooked that part of the OP. These are not the greatest movies ever, but I watch and rewatch all of them. Your taste may vary (and is likely to!)

1. Natural Born Killers
2. Thunder Road
3. The DI
4. Cat Ballou
5. The Wild Bunch
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

I really enjoyed these five movies directed by David Mamet.

House of Games - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Games
The Spanish Prisoner - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Spanish_Prisoner
The Winslow Boy - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Winsl ... 1999_film)
Homocide - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homicide_(1991_film)
Heist - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heist_(2001_film)

Rebecca Pidgeon is in all but the first. She may not have the star power of other actresses but I think her acting is superb.
rbd789

Post by rbd789 »

Favorite of all time:
1. A Night at the Opera

Favorite doubleheader in the "so awful it's hilarious (some alcohol required)" category:
1. Trancers
2. This is Spinal Tap
Enganerd

Post by Enganerd »

bertilak wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:52 am
Enganerd wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:17 pm [re Deliverance:]
I just wish that one scene was dialed back quite a bit... Really makes it hard to mention that movie without folks immediately thinking about it.
But I think that scene was necessary to provide the motivation for subsequent actions. Those subsequent actions were the heart of the psychological aspects of the movie and the basis of the award nominations: three Academy Award and five Golden Globe nominations. That scene probably was responsible for the movie not winning, other than the technical achievement award. People were uneasy about admitting their respect for the movie. In that sense the movie succeeded.

Deliverance showed me that Burt Reynolds was a very good, serious, actor.
Right, I'm not implying a change in plot. Only if it was less graphic, more off screen I would find it more rewatchable.

Of course the scene did work in a very haunting way. It's possible the director felt the audience should bear witness to the crudeness to increase the psychological horrors part of the story. And that the movie is so infamous and successful because of the shock. But for my taste, it was too much.

I will say the actors are all great, even the two hill billys. I also used to not respect Bert as a serious actor, just considered him a cheesy action guy from a past era, Dukes of Hazard and all.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

Blade Runner (the Director's Cut) - a film which was partly responsible for my marriage
Local Hero - touching film set in 1980s Scotland, where a Texas oilman (Burt Lancaster) sends an executive (Peter Riekert) to try to a buy a village to build an oil refinery
The Ice Storm - as Richard Nixon cruises towards resignation, goings on over a weekend in suburban Connecticut. It wasn't that I had lived that film, but I certainly knew people who had -- Ang Lee's grasp of understatement is magnificent
The Big Sleep - to my mind, Bogart and Bacall do Casablanca for grown ups

EDIT

Someone up above mentioned Arrival. Yes. And therefore also Gattacca - another Science Fiction film with a very thoughtful premise & good acting.*

I am not sure that this is a "best" movie, in any sense, but "Rogue One: A Star Wars Story" is a movie that affected me deeply. I think just some stupendous acting (by Felicity Jones in particular as the rogue criminal Jyn Erso, co-opted into the Rebel Alliance scheme, also by Diego Luna (as the Rebel intelligence agent Cassian Andor) and Peter Tdzuk (sp?) as the strategy robot K2; and by the actor playing the ambitious Imperial administrator, Orson Krennick) and some incredible set pieces. Felicity Jones is just endlessly watchable in the film. ("Hope. Rebellions are built on hope"). Everything one would have wanted for the Star Wars sequels, that they were not. Tense. Emotionally wrenching.

Somewhere in there I'd put Steven Soderbergh's The Limey about a British ex-con seeking the truth about his daughter's death in California, with incomparable performances by Terence Stamp, Peter Fonda (as the sleazy record producer) and Barry Newman (as his hard man).

Again I am not sure if Apollo 13 is "good" by any cinematic standard, but that scene in the Control Room, when they go into the reentry zone when they are out of contact... even though we know the outcome, it is just a scene that cannot be anything but affecting.

Of documentaries, 2 come to mind (that I saw in a movie theatre):

- The Farthest - about the Voyager 1 & Voyager 2 space probes, that have travelled further from Earth than any other man-made objects. One's heart just chokes up when the late Carl Sagan appears on film.

- Good Night Opy - the first film I saw in a movie theatre in over 2 years, due to Covid. About the Mars landers Mars Spirit and Mars Opportunity and their 120 day missions that turned into 15 years. Each Mars morning a member of the NASA crew would be picked to choose a song to play in the control room as they woke the 2 rovers up ...

* Uma Thurman is taller than most of her co-stars (6' apparently). So it's interesting how they shoot these films (as with Kidman and Tom Cruise) so that is less noticeable.
sperry8

Post by sperry8 »

Moulin Rouge
The Last Samurai
Good Will Hunting
Fight Club
The Godfather

I'll add a special mention for A Moment To Remember (a South Korean flick).
BH Contests: 23 #89 of 607 | 22 #512 of 674 | 21 #66 of 636 |20 #253/664 |19 #233/645 |18 #150/493 |17 #516/647 |16 #121/610 |15 #18/552 |14 #225/503 |13 #383/433 |12 #366/410 |11 #113/369 |10 #53/282
turtlebug

Post by turtlebug »

Five movies among my favorites-

Rear Window
Goodfellas
The Shining
Eat Drink Man Woman
When Harry Met Sally
Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel »

In no particular order:

No Country for Old Men
Saving Private Ryan
Forrest Gump
Django Unchained
Parasite
The Ring
Fargo
Home Alone
Elf
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Dornhoefer wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:23 am In chronological order:

Dr. Strangelove (1964)
Le Samouraï (1967)
Michael Clayton (2007)
The American (2010)

I loved Tilda Swinton's performance in Micheal Clayton. I don't really remember noticing her before.
Since then... well, selective perception, etc... :wink:

And for whatever reason, this reminds me of
The Contender, one our our favorites, with Jeff Bridges and Joan Allen.
It was released in 2000, and has an interesting feminist perspective.
There are a few interesting twists aka spoilers, including at the very end (but not only there).

Great cast, including jeff Bridges, Joan Allen, Sam Elliott, Gary Oldman, and William Peterson.
Well done.

Unfortunately, we can't seem to find it just now, without paying too much to buy it.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
cinghiale

Post by cinghiale »

Cannot believe I just plowed through this entire thread, and not one mention of any of five of my all-time favorites:

— Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (seen it eight times)

— Richard Pryor Live in Concert (the 1979 classic filmed in Long Beach)

— Buckaroo Banzai (unique, crazed, memorable; what a shame there was never a sequel)

— The Road Warrior (had me pinned to my theater seat)

— Bread and Tulips (a favorite foreign film)
"We don't see things as they are; we see them as we are." —Anais Nin | | "One really cannot ask for more in life than to have mattered to other people.” —Valuethinker
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

6 pages of recommendations. It may take you a bit to watch all these :wink:
I'll choose 5 favorites that I did not see mentioned in the initial responses. (Many already mentioned Goodfellas, Godfather, Pulp Fiction)

Traffic
The Departed
Blow
Saving Private Ryan
The Matrix
Light weight baby!
Boglenaut

Post by Boglenaut »

Sandi_k wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 10:59 pm
I love Paint Your Wagon! When I made my (now-DH) watch it years ago, he couldn't believe there was a movie in which Clint Eastwood sang. ;)
It is certainly an underrated movie. My personal ratings usually come pretty close to IMdB ratings, but I think IMdB is way too low with a 6.6.

I love the large scale, the humor, and even though I usually am not into musicals, even the music. I have it on DVD and pull it out about every 5 years and re-watch it. It never gets old.
Freefun

Post by Freefun »

Groundhog Day
the man who knew too little
gloomy Sunday
pulp fiction
the remains of the day
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?
uaeebs86

Post by uaeebs86 »

Apollo 13
Remember the Titans
A Few Good Men
My Cousin Vinny
Planes, Trains, and Automobiles
"Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out." ― John Wooden
littlerfish

Post by littlerfish »

Movies, huh? Here are five from my DVD collection.

"Bringing Up Baby" - 1938. Howard Hawks directs Cary Grant and Katherine Hepburn in one of the funniest slapstick movies ever made. With dinosaurs and leopards and Skippy.

"Charlie Varrick" - 1973. Don Siegel had another movie for Clint Eastwood, but Eastwood had something else to do, so Walter Matthau took his place. Tense thriller about a bank job gone wrong with Matthau giving it his own special flavor.

"The Lady Eve" - 1941. Preston Sturges is famous for "Sullivan's Travels", but I like this one better. Con artist Barbara Stanwyck thoroughly bamboozles brewery heir and herpetologist Henry Fonda.

"Lone Star" - 1996. John Sayles has made a number of good movies about the American experience, "Matewan" for instance, but this mystery set in a Texas border town is his masterpiece. Chris Cooper and Elizabeth Peña, with Kris Kristofferson as the villain.

"Apollo 11" - 2019. NASA had dozens of 70mm cameras shooting film automatically when Apollo 11 launched in July of 1969, but that footage was almost never looked at until the director, Todd Douglas Miller, pieced together this documentary from it. Astonishing clarity and capture. No narration, no score, just the film, bits artfully edited together. Well, almost no score -- my favorite bit is where, on the way back from the moon, in deep space, the cameras captured a cassette deck playing John Stewart's song, "Mother Country", off his 1969 "California Bloodlines" album.
Last edited by littlerfish on Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

SueG5123 wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:58 am Casablanca.
Casablanca.
Casablanca.
Casablanca.
Top Hat.
Love Casablanca. I’ve never seen Top Hat, but it’s mentioned a lot in TJ Klunes In the Lives of Puppets. I should check it out.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

This is tough. My tastes have changed over time.

Here are some that I rewatch a lot:

Die Hard
Lost Boys
Goonies
Christmas Vacation
Gremlins
Iron Eagle
Home Alone 2

I love a lot of the John Hughes movies from the 80s.

I’m all for classic movies, but most for me are one and done. And some are super long. Gone With the Wind is great, but it’s not on my rewatch list. Too long.

Let me think of some more.
AgentOrange

Post by AgentOrange »

Too hard to name but five...

Treasure of the Sierra Madre
The Informer
Rififi
Remains of the Day
Earrings of Madame de...

Honorable Mentions:

Saving Private Ryan
The Wild Bunch
His Girl Friday
Stardust Memories
Paths of Glory

There are too many more, but in the interest of brevity...
Johm221122

Post by Johm221122 »

Beverly Hills Cop
Trading Places
Warriors
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
Taps
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Still the favorites:

A Shot in the Dark - the best Pink Panther movie
Stand By Me - the best movie about growing up
Topper - the best old comedy
The Cheap Detective - a comedy tribute to Casablanca and The Maltese Falcon.
Clue

It's hard the pick just five.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
FeralCat

Post by FeralCat »

I'll add The Night of the Hunter, 1955, with Robert Mitchum. It gave me the absolute creeps.
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

rockstar wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 11:25 am This is tough. My tastes have changed over time.

Here are some that I rewatch a lot:

Die Hard
Lost Boys
Goonies
Christmas Vacation
Gremlins
Iron Eagle
Home Alone 2

I love a lot of the John Hughes movies from the 80s.

I’m all for classic movies, but most for me are one and done. And some are super long. Gone With the Wind is great, but it’s not on my rewatch list. Too long.

Let me think of some more.
That would be a fair list for me to watch.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

Johm221122 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 11:51 am Beverly Hills Cop
Trading Places
Warriors
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
Taps
Another list close to my taste.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

1. Das Boot
2. Groundhog Day
3. Shawshank Redemption
4. Bourne movies (all)
and (drum roll...)
5. 101 Dalmatians (the original animated version.
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

Jazztonight wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:19 pm 1. Das Boot
2. Groundhog Day
3. Shawshank Redemption
4. Bourne movies (all)
and (drum roll...)
So far ... your list most matches my taste.

I did see #5 when it came out in the movies. I might have been in 3rd grade? I remember nothing about the movies except that the theater was so crowded that the only seats available to my friend and myself were in the absolute last row at the top!
gamboolman

Post by gamboolman »

I love these threads.

Movies in no particular order:

Wyatt Earp
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Platoon
Out of Africa
Jaws

I know you did not ask but here is 5 miniseries:

Saving Private Ryan
Band of Brothers
The Pacific
Lonesome Dove
The Hatfields and McCoys
Doctor Rhythm

Post by Doctor Rhythm »

In no particular order:
The Graduate
Blade Runner
Lord of the Rings (pick any from the trilogy)
Princess Bride
Paddington 2 - mildly NSFW video clip
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Shawshank Redemption
Arrival
Interstellar
Elizabeth
Jane Austen Movies since 1980’s
JK Rowling movies
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

Five movies I loved, have watched multiple times, influenced me for decades, and influenced other film makers:

1) Terms of Endearment - the best human story and a lot of humor and emotion. JL Brooks (of Simpson's fame)
2) Jaws - I am still scared of the ocean. SS's masterpiece.
3) Pulp Fiction - best story of the 90s. QT at his peak.
4) Star Wars - unbelievably original and influential. GL at his best.
5) Good Fellas - Scorcese at the top of his game.
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

vnatale wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:23 pm
2. Groundhog Day
3. Shawshank Redemption
4. Bourne movies (all)
and (drum roll...)

I did see #5 when it came out in the movies. I might have been in 3rd grade? I remember nothing about the movies except that the theater was so crowded that the only seats available to my friend and myself were in the absolute last row at the top!
The scenes I love from that movie include Roger, the main male person character, who's a songwriter! He's sitting at the piano composing, and the dog wants to go OUT. So the dog moves the hands of the clock forward.

Later, Roger writes the song, "Cruella De Vil." Still a great tune! Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcdQk7JBPzQ
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

I posted to this thread early on in June 2021.

I've skimmed many of the 6 pages of replies and support many/most of your favorites!

My casual observation is that there are few/no recent movies. Is it the movies, or is it me? They just don't make them like they used to!
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

heartwood wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 7:42 am I posted to this thread early on in June 2021.

I've skimmed many of the 6 pages of replies and support many/most of your favorites!

My casual observation is that there are few/no recent movies. Is it the movies, or is it me? They just don't make them like they used to!
There are many, many, more old movies than new movies so if you have a favorite it is much, much, more likely to be an old movie.

Also, I think older movies were aimed at adults (they were the audience back in the day) whereas today's movies are aimed at adolescents (today's audience). I don't know why that is but I can guess. Adolescents are more easily swayed by social media so they are the ones more easily targeted.

So, assuming we are mostly adults here ...
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Jazztonight wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 11:02 pm
vnatale wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:23 pm
2. Groundhog Day
3. Shawshank Redemption
4. Bourne movies (all)
and (drum roll...)

The scenes I love from that movie include Roger, the main male person character, who's a songwriter! He's sitting at the piano composing, and the dog wants to go OUT. So the dog moves the hands of the clock forward.

Later, Roger writes the song, "Cruella De Vil." Still a great tune! Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcdQk7JBPzQ
I think Cruella was inspired by Tallulah Bankhead.
CWhea1775

Post by CWhea1775 »

What, no love for;

Bridge Over the River Kwai?

Network?

(Huge William Holden Fan - I did notice that The Wild Bunch is there, but for westerns);

Red River

Open Range

The Searchers
littlerfish

Post by littlerfish »

CWhea1775 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:35 am What, no love for;

Bridge Over the River Kwai?

Network?

(Huge William Holden Fan - I did notice that The Wild Bunch is there, but for westerns);

Red River

Open Range

The Searchers
All good movies, though we might need a category that's just Westerns. Let's see, 5 Westerns:

"Winchester '73" - 1950. Jimmy Stewart was never more frightening than in Arthur Mann's Westerns. And this was the first of them. Stewart tours the post-Civil War West pursuing his stolen match rifle -- and the man who took it (Dan Duryea).

"Rio Bravo" - 1959. Howard Hawks directs John Wayne, Angie Dickinson, the inimitable Walter Brennan, and Dean Martin in an excellent John Wayne movie. Structured as a repudiation of "High Noon" (which despite the tremendous opening song by Tex Ritter, is not really a standard Western). Martin sings a duet with Ricky Nelson about "My rifle, my pony, and me." Complete contrast to "Red River", as well.

"Ride the High Country" - 1962. Sam Peckinpah directs Joel McCrae and Randolph Scott in this classic about shifting alliances and uncertain outcomes in mountain mining country.

"The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" - 1966. Sergio Leone directing, and Clint Eastwood and Lee Van Cleef, sure, but this is really Eli Wallach's (the Ugly) movie. And he's really unbelievably good, as is the movie. A contorted distorted tour though the American West during the Civil War, structured as a very very dark comedy.

"True Grit" - 1969. The legendary Hal Wallis produced, and Henry Hathaway directed, Wayne in one heck of a performance, as a hardbitten marshall out looking for a bandit who's killed Kim Darby's character's father. Redone almost shot for shot with Jeff Bridges in 2010 by the Coen brothers, also good, but I prefer the version I saw in 1969 lying on top of a station wagon in the dark of a drive-in.
krafty81

Post by krafty81 »

Sand Pebbles
Sound of Music
Camelot
Terminator (original)
Family Man