Money Market Optimizer Spreadsheet - Releases, Bugs, etc.

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Cocoa Beach Bum

Re: Money Market Optimizer Spreadsheet - Releases, Bugs, etc.

Post by Cocoa Beach Bum »

retiringwhen wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 7:09 am...
Frankly I am not a Fidelity MM guru (I hold a total of approximately $0.34 in FDRXX :wink: ), so someone with better knowledge of the Fidelity MM offerings should review and comment on my bucketing and sample lists. IOW, feedback, and improvements desired.
Here's a list of all Fidelity MMFs, including their minimum initial investment requirements.

https://fundresearch.fidelity.com/fund- ... 2Ccategory

These pages organize the MMFs by category:
All MMFs
Prime MMFs
Government MMFs
Municipal MMFs
“How did you go bankrupt?" "Two ways. Gradually, then suddenly.”
Hacksawdave

Post by Hacksawdave »

jamesbogle wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 8:04 pm Doesn't makes sense to not swap even in the highest bracket. Curious who are the people staying in VCTXX for long periods.
I am one. What knowledge do you seek?
tedski

Post by tedski »

I'm using v18.5 and I'm getting an email every 4 hours. Last trigger and Last swap report on the My Parameters sheet are not being updated when the trigger runs and sends an email. Any course of action I should take to resolve that?
Topic Author
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

tedski wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 7:56 pm I'm using v18.5 and I'm getting an email every 4 hours. Last trigger and Last swap report on the My Parameters sheet are not being updated when the trigger runs and sends an email. Any course of action I should take to resolve that?
are the emails showing some sort of error? or is it properly sending a status? Are any of the yields reported as zero? That is a new one on me if the report is complete.

Ahh, I just figured it out. I left FMPXX in there and for reasons having to do with it being a new add, the yield is coming back zero (I need to look into that from a source data perspective). That is causing the error. Change that fund to something else like SPRXX on the Fidelity BestNow tab.

Also, I meant to do this earlier but some how missed it. I am going to update the email report data even when the zero error occurs. The user can always manually run again if the missing fund is important to their analysis. That will remove the 4 hour problem.
Topic Author
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

I updated v18.5 to v18.5a to remove that check in the emailTrigger. I also changed the default 6th Fidelity fund back to SPRXX as well. No other changes.
bople

Post by bople »

What is the best way to update when you release? Just do the File -> Make a copy and redo the selections you care about?

Wish it was as easy as the library update you shared earlier, that was so nice! ;)
tedski

Post by tedski »

retiringwhen wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 9:09 pm I updated v18.5 to v18.5a to remove that check in the emailTrigger. I also changed the default 6th Fidelity fund back to SPRXX as well. No other changes.
I can confirm it is resolved in v18.5a. Thanks for all of your work! Much gratitude for how much craft you put into this.
Topic Author
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

bople wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 9:36 pm What is the best way to update when you release? Just do the File -> Make a copy and redo the selections you care about?

Wish it was as easy as the library update you shared earlier, that was so nice! ;)
Making a copy is really the only way if I make changes to the sheet itself. There is a ton of code in the library, but is now very stable, does not change often. When it does, I will publish that as an alternative update path.

The main reason I collected almost all configuration items into the My Parameters tab was to make the updates easier.
jamesbogle

Post by jamesbogle »

retiringwhen wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 8:28 pm
the_wiki wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 8:15 pm Thousandths of a percent? Are you guys moving around 9 figures? :shock:

I feel like the average person barely needs to worry about tenths of a percent.
I agree, the data provider publishes SEC yields to one basis point (1/100th of a percent) and that is pretty standard for yields. I apply tax rates to them, and everything is shown in almost all cases to the 1/100th, but I don't normally truncate floating point calculations underneath so sometimes users will see two funds with the same rate but when estimating annual returns for a $100K the numbers will effectively expose one more digit and show returns at the 1/1000th level. That Is what @jamesbogle was alluding to I believe.
Hi, yes. Sometimes there will be two funds with the same return and cause that message with the recommendation to buy to be show in the email. (i think the tie breaker is based on whichever is first in the alpha sort order)
jamesbogle

Post by jamesbogle »

Hacksawdave wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 3:33 pm
jamesbogle wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 8:04 pm Doesn't makes sense to not swap even in the highest bracket. Curious who are the people staying in VCTXX for long periods.
Was wondering if you swap out of VCTXX and VMSXX. If you dont bother to, staying in VMSXX/VUSXX seems to be better.
bople

Post by bople »

retiringwhen wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 7:09 am @bople, I also updated the Samples and Fidelity Samples tabs and revised the Fidelity High Minimums table to include a reference to FMPXX. Frankly I am not a Fidelity MM guru (I hold a total of approximately $0.34 in FDRXX :wink: ), so someone with better knowledge of the Fidelity MM offerings should review and comment on my bucketing and sample lists. IOW, feedback, and improvements desired.
I went through your list and you have everything now except:

Code: Select all

'FRBXX': '2644',   // FIMM Treasury Portfolio - Institutional Class
    'FISXX': '695',    // FIMM Treasury Portfolio - Class I
This is all four primary types of MM funds and their $minimum upgrades:

$1	$100K	$1M	$10M
Prime		SPRXX	FZDXX	FMPXX	FNSXX
Government	SPAXX*	FZCXX	FIGXX	FRGXX
Treasury	FZFXX		FISXX	FRBXX
Treasury Only	FDLXX		FSIXX	FRSXX

* Or FDRXX, but SPAXX is a current available sweep option (i.e., do nothing :)
I could do a similar table for the Retail Muni state-specific $1, $100K and $1M tiers if you think it would be useful. You have all of them in your underlying list already.

For the High Minimums tab, I would change FZCXX with FIGXX and FZEXX with FTCXX (both $1M minimums). Not sure what to replace the other FZEXX with, but being in CA, I would suggest FSBXX with maybe a note to match it to your particular state.
Hacksawdave

Post by Hacksawdave »

jamesbogle wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:52 am
Was wondering if you swap out of VCTXX and VMSXX. If you dont bother to, staying in VMSXX/VUSXX seems to be better.
I have owned VCTXX since 1996 and have never swapped out. My average tax rate has been 37.57% over 31 years, with lower rates early and higher rates in later years. I now have a minuscule combined tax rate in year 5 of early retirement of between <1% to 2.9%. So, it is a yes but no answer to swap.

If I were to focus just on the top-line tax on the ordinary income of using VUSXX, then yes it would pay more after taxes on that particular ordinary income. However, once the downstream effects of calculating the bottom-line tax number is complete, it actually costs me more in additional taxes and loss of benefits.

• I would lose the 0% QD/LTCG tax rate and would pay an additional 15%.
• I would lose the ACA PTC with the higher gross MAGI.
• As itemized deduction exclusions are based upon AGI, I would lose much of that.
• I lose a great realized tax arbitrage of 32% plus on my 401k distributions as it shrinks to 10% or less.
• I get some CA credits due to the lower AGI. Those disappear.

There are some other gotchas involved. CA tax law stipulated that for a fund's USGOs to be state tax exempt, they must be at 50% or above each calendar quarter. Miss one quarter and the entire year is taxed as ordinary income. Some people found that out the hard way last year with VMFXX federal MMF and cash reserves settlement fund.

As my municipal income has grown due to larger distributions, I will take part of next year’s 401k distribution as a rollover into my empty TIRA and then Roth convert it at a combined less than 5% federal and CA state tax rate. This would not be possible with the municipal income reclassified as ordinary income.

Disclosure: I own all three Vanguard CA tax-exempt offerings of VCTXX MMF, VCADX CA intermediates, and VCLAX CA longs.
Topic Author
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

bople wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:09 am I went through your list and you have everything now except:

'FRBXX': '2644',   // FIMM Treasury Portfolio - Institutional Class
    'FISXX': '695',    // FIMM Treasury Portfolio - Class I
This is all four primary types of MM funds and their $minimum upgrades:

$1	$100K	$1M	$10M
Prime		SPRXX	FZDXX	FMPXX	FNSXX
Government	SPAXX*	FZCXX	FIGXX	FRGXX
Treasury	FZFXX		FISXX	FRBXX
Treasury Only	FDLXX		FSIXX	FRSXX

* Or FDRXX, but SPAXX is a current available sweep option (i.e., do nothing :)
I could do a similar table for the Retail Muni state-specific $1, $100K and $1M tiers if you think it would be useful. You have all of them in your underlying list already.

For the High Minimums tab, I would change FZCXX with FIGXX and FZEXX with FTCXX (both $1M minimums). Not sure what to replace the other FZEXX with, but being in CA, I would suggest FSBXX with maybe a note to match it to your particular state.
Thanks! I have added FISXX and FRBXX and they can be retrieved if you update to v87 of fintools. I also updated the Sample tables with your recommended changes. I think I already had the Muni funds mostly in good shape. they are actually kind of straight forward.
jamesbogle

Post by jamesbogle »

Hacksawdave wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 6:47 pm
I have owned VCTXX since 1996 and have never swapped out. My average tax rate has been 37.57% over 31 years, with lower rates early and higher rates in later years. I now have a minuscule combined tax rate in year 5 of early retirement of between <1% to 2.9%. So, it is a yes but no answer to swap.

If I were to focus just on the top-line tax on the ordinary income of using VUSXX, then yes it would pay more after taxes on that particular ordinary income. However, once the downstream effects of calculating the bottom-line tax number is complete, it actually costs me more in additional taxes and loss of benefits.

• As itemized deduction exclusions are based upon AGI, I would lose much of that.
• I lose a great realized tax arbitrage of 32% plus on my 401k distributions as it shrinks to 10% or less.

There are some other gotchas involved. CA tax law stipulated that for a fund's USGOs to be state tax exempt, they must be at 50% or above each calendar quarter. Miss one quarter and the entire year is taxed as ordinary income. Some people found that out the hard way last year with VMFXX federal MMF and cash reserves settlement fund.

As my municipal income has grown due to larger distributions, I will take part of next year’s 401k distribution as a rollover into my empty TIRA and then Roth convert it at a combined less than 5% federal and CA state tax rate. This would not be possible with the municipal income reclassified as ordinary income.

Disclosure: I own all three Vanguard CA tax-exempt offerings of VCTXX MMF, VCADX CA intermediates, and VCLAX CA longs.
Thanks for explanation. Since you're talking 401 distributions are most of these considerations for when in retirement?
Hacksawdave

Post by Hacksawdave »

jamesbogle wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 12:04 pm
Hacksawdave wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 6:47 pm

Thanks for explanation. Since you're talking 401 distributions are most of these considerations for when in retirement?
Yes, they are considerations depending on what activities one wants to pursue. I was filling up the ordinary income space with distributions into cashflow from the 401k to reduce later RMDs and eliminate the extra taxes of Roth converting additional amounts. I found a hybrid withdrawal plan would work the best. You can search my prior posts for more details.

Creating a transition plan 3-5 years prior to retirement and a decumulation plan should be on the to-do list. If doing Roth conversions, the goal is of course to convert the deferred contributions in a tax rate that is much lower than when the funds were contributed. Next year I will be pulling off a small Roth conversion.
bople

Post by bople »

retiringwhen wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 8:58 am Thanks! I have added FISXX and FRBXX and they can be retrieved if you update to v87 of fintools. I also updated the Sample tables with your recommended changes. I think I already had the Muni funds mostly in good shape. they are actually kind of straight forward.
Awesome!

Since we are on the minutiae now, shouldn't the Fidelity Charts tab be locked like the Vg Charts tab? It also looks like it also got moved one right instead of being right next to Fidelity BestNow. And the EDGAR tab moved to the back with the Tbill Returns/etc?
Topic Author
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

bople wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 2:16 pm
retiringwhen wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 8:58 am Thanks! I have added FISXX and FRBXX and they can be retrieved if you update to v87 of fintools. I also updated the Sample tables with your recommended changes. I think I already had the Muni funds mostly in good shape. they are actually kind of straight forward.
Awesome!

Since we are on the minutiae now, shouldn't the Fidelity Charts tab be locked like the Vg Charts tab? It also looks like it also got moved one right instead of being right next to Fidelity BestNow. And the EDGAR tab moved to the back with the Tbill Returns/etc?
yup, I sometimes move them around temporarily when trying to debug (not always on purpose!) I made all the cleanups you suggested in v18.5
DTalos

Post by DTalos »

Cocoa Beach Bum wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 11:13 am
retiringwhen wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 7:09 am...
Frankly I am not a Fidelity MM guru (I hold a total of approximately $0.34 in FDRXX :wink: ), so someone with better knowledge of the Fidelity MM offerings should review and comment on my bucketing and sample lists. IOW, feedback, and improvements desired.
Here's a list of all Fidelity MMFs, including their minimum initial investment requirements.

https://fundresearch.fidelity.com/fund- ... 2Ccategory

These pages organize the MMFs by category:
All MMFs
Prime MMFs
Government MMFs
Municipal MMFs

Apologies if this question has been asked before, but do you have a similar chart for Vanguard that links directly to the Vanguard website and lists the names and yields of each fund? Thank you.
Topic Author
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

DTalos wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 4:54 pm Apologies if this question has been asked before, but do you have a similar chart for Vanguard that links directly to the Vanguard website and lists the names and yields of each fund? Thank you.
https://investor.vanguard.com/investmen ... s#mm-rates

For the purposes of this thread (getting a view of the best after-tax return), you can get essentially same info (and normally just as up to date) here:

Money Market Optimizer Toolkit Vanguard/Fidelity Edition v18 BestNow tab
Topic Author
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

I have been toying around a simpified first look for the MM sheets. There has been a lot of scope creep over the last year and the next version of the All Funds Edition goes even further with adding other cash types. I need to keep the core mission (what MM is best for me?) easy to find and use for especially newbies to Money Market funds.

With that goal in mind, here is a draft sample Executive Summary Tab I have been playing with. Please provide feedback on its usefulness and data choices. I will tweak as appropriate then release v7 soon.

boglebites

Post by boglebites »

retiringwhen wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 9:27 pm I have been toying around a simpified first look for the MM sheets. There has been a lot of scope creep over the last year and the next version of the All Funds Edition goes even further with adding other cash types. I need to keep the core mission (what MM is best for me?) easy to find and use for especially newbies to Money Market funds.

With that goal in mind, here is a draft sample Executive Summary Tab I have been playing with. Please provide feedback on its usefulness and data choices. I will tweak as appropriate then release v7 soon.

As a layperson who keeps learning from this an Executive Summary tab with a BRIGHT GREEN "YOU SHOULD GET THIS" would be so helpful! Even to compare to HYSA somehow.

Also - do you have any thoughts on someone who currently lives outside the US - so is not paying state, but only federal - income tax should do? American citizen, filing everything correctly. I want a friend to get in on this.
Topic Author
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

boglebites wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 2:43 pm As a layperson who keeps learning from this an Executive Summary tab with a BRIGHT GREEN "YOU SHOULD GET THIS" would be so helpful! Even to compare to HYSA somehow.
Great idea, I will do that!
Also - do you have any thoughts on someone who currently lives outside the US - so is not paying state, but only federal - income tax should do? American citizen, filing everything correctly. I want a friend to get in on this.
I am no expert on ex-pat taxation, my one oversees deployment created enough headaches, I don't remember the tax consequences!

But, I think the user can simply set the State Tax rate to zero % and use the 'NOTAX' state option when the user selects a state. There may be other variables but I am not familiar with them.
bople

Post by bople »

retiringwhen wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 9:27 pm Image
This looks great. Combine it with the My Parameters tab since it has all the same content with the added analysis. The only entry you are missing is the email, last email, last swap. I would make the cells that can be edited a light-yellow background like you are already using for that and lock the rest of the sheet. Maybe call it My Summary?

The only 3 tabs I really use on an ongoing basis are:
  • My Parameters (to change funds to look at, I probably do that too much ;)
  • BestNow to look at the current status and the 365-day back test and calculated differences
  • BestNow Charts since seeing the up/down curve of the munis is super helpful to get a sense of what is going on
On the Vanguard/Fidelity specific sheet, I would do the same in having a My Summary tab and then the Vanguard BestNow/Best Now Charts, followed immediately by the Fidelity BestNow/BestNow Charts. That way, most folks would just be able to setup My Summary how they want it and then not have to scroll left/right to see the 2 other most useful tabs no matter if they were interested in Vanguard or Fidelity.

BTW, I tend to use both, since I like the 7-day SEC yield in the All MM sheet for planning and comparing to all other MMFs I might have at other accounts. Your 1-day yields you manually extract for the Vanguard/Fidelity specific sheet are really necessary if you want to do the treasury-only/muni swap for high tax states.
Topic Author
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

bople wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 6:07 pm
This looks great. Combine it with the My Parameters tab since it has all the same content with the added analysis. The only entry you are missing is the email, last email, last swap. I would make the cells that can be edited a light-yellow background like you are already using for that and lock the rest of the sheet. Maybe call it My Summary?
Good idea, I started that way and got cold feet. I think I am going to try again, making the top to the sheet pretty close to the thing I shared with the key values editable (yellow) and the more detailed parameters below (available by scrolling down). I too like the idea of a single main tab that does almost all the work for more day to day just trying to find out who's got the best rates.

BTW, I find it funny that you like the 7-day yields. I got so many requests to find ways to do 1-day yields for everything :-) Of course, they are not really available in any useful and accessible source.
bople

Post by bople »

retiringwhen wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 7:27 pm Good idea, I started that way and got cold feet. I think I am going to try again, making the top to the sheet pretty close to the thing I shared with the key values editable (yellow) and the more detailed parameters below (available by scrolling down). I too like the idea of a single main tab that does almost all the work for more day to day just trying to find out who's got the best rates.

BTW, I find it funny that you like the 7-day yields. I got so many requests to find ways to do 1-day yields for everything :-) Of course, they are not really available in any useful and accessible source.
I think your layout as you have it is fine and just add the email address stuff at the bottom. Or put the top part underneath to the left of the Would Swapping/Best Fund Today/Best Fund Yesterday block and put the email address stuff under that. You have the horizontal space if you shorten the text a bit. UX wise, the tax parameters change the least, so having them at the bottom would be my call.

7-day yields are what you really should be thinking about in terms of is this the right fund for me IMHO. If you are doing the muni<->treasury swaps, the 1-day are really needed since it is sometimes only for a few days.
leland

Post by leland »

I'd love a best over last month/quarter average as a non-frequent switcher. I'd say best over 'selectable period' but that goes away from simple summary :)
jamesbogle

Post by jamesbogle »

If there is an error and one of the funds yield show 0.00%, perhaps it can use the previous day's yield for that fund to compare yield for the swap email. (And show a warning message that it may be stale)

Not ideal but better than comparing against 0.00% especially if the best today/yesterday is the one that resulted in 0.00%
Last edited by jamesbogle on Thu Jun 06, 2024 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

jamesbogle wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 12:15 pm If there is an error and one of the funds yield show 0.00%, perhaps it can use the previous day's yield for that fund to compare yield for the swap email.

Not ideal but better than comparing against 0.00% especially if the best today/yesterday is the one that resulted in 0.00%
Good idea, I noticed that the last two days Fidelity was late in getting their website updated so saw the same thing. I will tweak that in a future version.
Topic Author
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

retiringwhen wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 12:39 pm
jamesbogle wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 12:15 pm If there is an error and one of the funds yield show 0.00%, perhaps it can use the previous day's yield for that fund to compare yield for the swap email.

Good idea, I noticed that the last two days Fidelity was late in getting their website updated so saw the same thing. I will tweak that in a future version.
Further investigation revealed that a simple idea (use yesterday's rate) will not work in the structure of my sheets. It would require an unacceptable increase in size and complexity of a workbook that is already too complex.

Instead, I am going bring over a feature I added to the All funds version of calculating the most recent date that all funds have reported yields and then only send a new report once the funds have moved to a new date. This will ensure consistency and also avoid incomplete / annoying reports. I am combining that update with the Executive Summary approach now. I like that Summary page. I think most users will find it their default going forward.
KzooKendrick

Post by KzooKendrick »

Apologies if this has been asked before. Does anyone know why the email trigger says VUSXX is best vs VMRXX when they have the same after tax rate? For what it’s worth I’m in FL with no state income tax. Thanks!
Topic Author
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

KzooKendrick wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 4:42 pm Apologies if this has been asked before. Does anyone know why the email trigger says VUSXX is best vs VMRXX when they have the same after tax rate? For what it’s worth I’m in FL with no state income tax. Thanks!
discussed earlier, almost surely a rounding differences at the less than 1/100th of a percent. I almost always present results in basis points (1/100th percent), but many of the calculations are done with out truncation (spreadsheets are not the easiest to consistently keep precision, plus I have JavaScript code thrown in for fun!)

If there is a tie, I just take the first in the list as the highest, I think that is what happened if you are using version 18.5.

Sometimes you can see the difference when you look at the returns on $100,000, they may be different by a dollar or two when looking at the back test.
KzooKendrick

Post by KzooKendrick »

retiringwhen wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 5:37 pm
KzooKendrick wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 4:42 pm Apologies if this has been asked before. Does anyone know why the email trigger says VUSXX is best vs VMRXX when they have the same after tax rate? For what it’s worth I’m in FL with no state income tax. Thanks!
discussed earlier, almost surely a rounding differences at the less than 1/100th of a percent. I almost always present results in basis points (1/100th percent), but many of the calculations are done with out truncation (spreadsheets are not the easiest to consistently keep precision, plus I have JavaScript code thrown in for fun!)

If there is a tie, I just take the first in the list as the highest, I think that is what happened if you are using version 18.5.

Sometimes you can see the difference when you look at the returns on $100,000, they may be different by a dollar or two when looking at the back test.
Thanks! I’m trying to be as hands off as I can, and I’m already in VMRXX so I’ll just stay there 😊