Just got laid off

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
KlangFool

Re: Just got laid off

Post by KlangFool »

BlackwaterPark10 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:24 am Update

The bottom of the pay band is higher than I was making at the last place by a few thousand, and goes roughly 40k over what I was making. So excited about this potential opportunity for growth, and to help in the role.
Congratulations!

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
CoAndy

Post by CoAndy »

Great update OP. Please let us know how the rest of the interview process goes. Fingers crossed for you!
gavinsiu

Post by gavinsiu »

Congradulation! This may be a blessing in disguise.
Topic Author
BlackwaterPark10

Post by BlackwaterPark10 »

Thank you all!
funxional

Post by funxional »

BlackwaterPark10 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:29 am
larrydmsn wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:23 pm Not sure whether you have Health FSA. If you do, the whole elected yearly amount (not just what you've contributed so far this year) is available for you to spend and you will lose it once your employment ends. Spend it while the money is still available.
This is true, thank you! Unfortunately they ended my employment the same day, so I didn't really have any time to do anything.
I know you had plenty else to think of but you can literally go to Amazon and spend the money. Bandages, health monitors, medicines, contacts, etc.

I can't imagine the stress. I had a company "accept" my resignation 2 weeks early and it had my heart racing even though I was already moving on
JfonLA

Post by JfonLA »

Sorry you went through this but glad to see you are moving forward!

The comment about the mortgage caught my attention. You said it is paid up through August. Be aware that adding extra to your payments does not count toward the regular monthly payments due - it is applied to principal unless you specifically mark it as the payment for a future month. (And, almost no lender accepts a partial payment, so it would need to be the same amount as a regular payment.) So, if you have a $2500 monthly mortgage payment and add an extra $1000 to your February statement, that $1k does not apply to your March payment. It applies as principal balance, and your regular $2500 March payment would still be due for the full amount. If you don't pay it, late fees, credit dings, and all that jazz would apply despite you being ahead of schedule on the principal payment.

If you truly want to make a payment on a future month, you'd need to make a separate payment, marked as the payment for the future month, and for the full amount of the regular payment. There's kind of no point in that though. You may be ok with your scenario (I don't have any info on how you 'paid up'), but it's a common misconception that incremental principal paydowns count as payment on future months.

It's probably not an issue now that you've found another opportunity, but thought I'd mention that so you don't get an ugly surprise sometime later.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

BlackwaterPark10 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:24 am Update

Ok so things are going well.
Best of luck and I really hope it works out for you!
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
JBSjr

Post by JBSjr »

A lot of good advice so far.
Here is my experience. That happened to me twice in my working career. Here is what I learned. My job is not my identity or my #1 priority. I took some welcomed time off to reflect on the direction of my life and what I enjoy doing . Could I possibly make an income from this? Would it be enough to support my lifestyle? Don't settle for the first thing thats available, if possible be selective. That is if finances can justify it. Also, it helped to look for a job and not a career. This perspective helped me to be aware of opportunities in other directions.
This was devastating when it happened the first time. Looking back on it years later, it was a blessing. The doors didn't open right away, but they did open .
millennial1995

Post by millennial1995 »

What is your liquidity position like? I don't think I saw that. Luckily, your wife still has an income and you will be able to get unemployment. You should be able to enroll in your wife's health plan. You will navigate this challenge. I am sorry this is happening to you.
OnTrack2020

Post by OnTrack2020 »

You have some options with health insurance:

If you are planning on using healthcare.gov/ACA/marketplace insurance versus COBRA, and you want it to take effect on March 1, you will need to fill out an application February 15 or before---(but double check on this)---you may have to call and ask them. If you fill out an application February 16 through the end of February, an ACA plan will not take effect until April 1, I believe. You have 60 days prior to losing coverage or 60 days after loss of coverage to sign up for an ACA plan.

If you work for an employer with 20 or more employees (which I assume you do) and you weren't terminated for gross misconduct (which I assume you weren't), you will be eligible for COBRA coverage. It is simply an extension of your current insurance. However, it is expensive. You can get an estimate of how much your COBRA will be by taking Box 12, code DD, from your W-2 and dividing by 12. This would give you an estimate of your monthly premium. COBRA is retroactive to the date of loss of coverage, where ACA plans aren't, I don't believe.

You could also go on one of the above plans or your wife's plan, and your daughter may be eligible to go on CHIP (Children's Health Insurance Program) in your state. You'd just want to check out how it work in your state.

https://www.healthcare.gov/coverage-out ... nt-period/
Topic Author
BlackwaterPark10

Hopping back in to provide an update.

I have applied to about a dozen places. Mainly spending this time to get my CV/Resume right. Work through some career coaching trainings I found. Also taking time for me to get mentally and physically better. I have lost 30 pounds now since October, 6 in the last month since this happened, and continuing to try to stick to healthy habits. This was a trauma to me mentally, and just doing what my mind and body says to do each day. Also, I am working towards a CISSP certification which is really strenuous, but would fill in a large amount of career gaps I have knowledge wise.

I had a first and second interview with a role I would LOVE. I haven't heard back in going on 9 days now, so it doesn't look like I am getting that role as they said I would hear back within a few days either way. Trying to stay positive about it the best I can, but leadership, and personwise the hiring manager was everything I have ever dreamed of working for. Unfortunate.

I received the last of my payouts from the last employer. Just shy of 20k total for vacation leave, two weeks additional pay, and two weeks pay to sign their release document saying I won't press charges against them for laying me off. Those asking money questions, we have gotten me signed up for unemployment, and my daughter and I insurance through healthcare.gov. It looks like we will have about $450 a month left over on wife's salary, so the unemployment and emergency fund ($34000 total) will help supplement. I have about 4k on my Apple Card, and owe 3k for escrow, so thinking its wise to pay that off with the emergency funds we have.

Any thoughts?
beyou

Post by beyou »

I wouldn't worry about paying down debt while unemployed.
For now just focus on economizing your other expenses and getting employment.
Once employed you can start working towards debt reduction.
For now focus on having food and housing, with a long runway to be able to avoid having to make a bad career decision.
Valuethinker

Re: Just got fired

Post by Valuethinker »

nyclon wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:50 pm Don’t take this to mean anything about you. Having been in the situation and known many others who have as well, I know it’s frustrating and scary.

Employment ultimately is a contract for you to be paid in exchange for giving the company your time. The add ons are the learning, people, experience, etc etc.

But it boils down to economics. Once they don’t need or can’t afford your time they terminate the contract. It’s that simple. Nothing to do you with you as a human.

Take some time to reflect and understand that this time will pass and the relationships you have with friends and family trump everything.

Update LinkedIn and CV after you’ve taken some time to unwind and think about what you really want next so that you know how to position them. Then, reach out to your network and just talk to people with no agenda to learn what’s out there.

You are no longer beholden to the paradigm of the past 18 years. There is a big opportunity ahead of you now that that’s gone. It was going to end at some point anyway.

Maybe read what color is your parachute by Bowles to get some direction. Get some fresh air, exercise, change up your schedule and feel productive.

Your time is yours and you only get once chance to make the most of it.
This is all incredibly wise advice.

The organisation does not love you. The people making the decisions don't even know you exist except as a cost line on a spreadsheet.

When I graduated, IBM was the best possible job - best pay & benefits. I had friends who were there for 30 years. The company decided that it did not want anyone over 50. I think in the USA there have been lawsuits. But they basically shed all of my friends and contacts there. Company wanted to portray a younger face to its clients and customers.

(They'd killed the DB pension scheme -- which was one of the best private sector ones - quite a few years earlier).
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

BlackwaterPark10 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:14 am Hopping back in to provide an update.

I have applied to about a dozen places. Mainly spending this time to get my CV/Resume right. Work through some career coaching trainings I found. Also taking time for me to get mentally and physically better. I have lost 30 pounds now since October, 6 in the last month since this happened, and continuing to try to stick to healthy habits. This was a trauma to me mentally, and just doing what my mind and body says to do each day. Also, I am working towards a CISSP certification which is really strenuous, but would fill in a large amount of career gaps I have knowledge wise.

I had a first and second interview with a role I would LOVE. I haven't heard back in going on 9 days now, so it doesn't look like I am getting that role as they said I would hear back within a few days either way. Trying to stay positive about it the best I can, but leadership, and personwise the hiring manager was everything I have ever dreamed of working for. Unfortunate.

I received the last of my payouts from the last employer. Just shy of 20k total for vacation leave, two weeks additional pay, and two weeks pay to sign their release document saying I won't press charges against them for laying me off. Those asking money questions, we have gotten me signed up for unemployment, and my daughter and I insurance through healthcare.gov. It looks like we will have about $450 a month left over on wife's salary, so the unemployment and emergency fund ($34000 total) will help supplement. I have about 4k on my Apple Card, and owe 3k for escrow, so thinking its wise to pay that off with the emergency funds we have.

Any thoughts?
The hard part about interviewing is that you will get close (likely) to several great jobs, but because it's always one of the last 3 or 4, you only have a 1/3 or 1/4 chance. And recruitment really is "pot luck" -- having done a fair bit. People who look great on paper are absolutely wrong at the job, people who interview great can't deliver, people who are more diffident turn out to be real stars. So chance and fortune play a big role in this.

I don't understand what "the escrow" is? (I am not US-based). So not sure about repaying it.

Ending employment is like ending a marriage or relationship. Except the other side simply sends their HR officer to do it. It hurts.

There's a grieving process. Then a looking forward. You sharpen up your online "dating" profile ie LinkedIn etc. You start to have a sense of self worth separate from your former lover (I don't think it's wrong to characterise a long term employer that way). Sounds like you are making good progress on all of that.
funxional

Post by funxional »

BlackwaterPark10 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:14 am I had a first and second interview with a role I would LOVE. I haven't heard back in going on 9 days now, so it doesn't look like I am getting that role as they said I would hear back within a few days either way. Trying to stay positive about it the best I can, but leadership, and personwise the hiring manager was everything I have ever dreamed of working for. Unfortunate.
I would check back in to demonstrate your interest. No harm if they weren't going to accept you and maybe a slight benefit if they are still on the fence.
LaramieWind

Post by LaramieWind »

Curious if you thought this might be age discrimination. What are the ages of the others laid off? Talk to an attorney before signing anything. Age discrimination is real and very difficult to prove.
Topic Author
BlackwaterPark10

LaramieWind wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:54 am Curious if you thought this might be age discrimination. What are the ages of the others laid off? Talk to an attorney before signing anything. Age discrimination is real and very difficult to prove.
No I don't at all.
Topic Author
BlackwaterPark10

funxional wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:43 am
BlackwaterPark10 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:14 am I had a first and second interview with a role I would LOVE. I haven't heard back in going on 9 days now, so it doesn't look like I am getting that role as they said I would hear back within a few days either way. Trying to stay positive about it the best I can, but leadership, and personwise the hiring manager was everything I have ever dreamed of working for. Unfortunate.
I would check back in to demonstrate your interest. No harm if they weren't going to accept you and maybe a slight benefit if they are still on the fence.
I took this advice and checked back in. I didn't get any response until yesterday when I got a generic rejection email from their HR dept.
Topic Author
BlackwaterPark10

Valuethinker wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:05 am
BlackwaterPark10 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:14 am Hopping back in to provide an update.

Any thoughts?
The hard part about interviewing is that you will get close (likely) to several great jobs, but because it's always one of the last 3 or 4, you only have a 1/3 or 1/4 chance. And recruitment really is "pot luck" -- having done a fair bit. People who look great on paper are absolutely wrong at the job, people who interview great can't deliver, people who are more diffident turn out to be real stars. So chance and fortune play a big role in this.

I don't understand what "the escrow" is? (I am not US-based). So not sure about repaying it.

Ending employment is like ending a marriage or relationship. Except the other side simply sends their HR officer to do it. It hurts.

There's a grieving process. Then a looking forward. You sharpen up your online "dating" profile ie LinkedIn etc. You start to have a sense of self worth separate from your former lover (I don't think it's wrong to characterise a long term employer that way). Sounds like you are making good progress on all of that.
Escrow accounts are where you can pay each month towards your insurance and tax bills for the year, and it auto pays when they are due for you with the funds collected throughout the year.
heisenberg.

Post by heisenberg. »

Sorry the gig you were excited about didn’t work out.

Keep in mind final round interviews are a coin toss. The fact that you got this far means you’re employable. From here it’s just a numbers game, keep playing!
LaramieWind

Post by LaramieWind »

OuterBanks wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:00 pm Lawyer up. A two week severance check is not nearly enough. You are a protected age class at age 40 and up. Ask for at least 3-6 months pay or they will hear from your lawyer for age discrimination.
Age discrimination exists on paper only. Very difficult to prove. Been there.
CoAndy

Post by CoAndy »

BlackwaterPark10 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:05 am
I took this advice and checked back in. I didn't get any response until yesterday when I got a generic rejection email from their HR dept.
OP anything new to report?
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

BlackwaterPark10 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:35 pm Got laid off yesterday. No notice. Effective immediately. Insurance for my daughter and I ends at the end of the month. Only given two weeks pay after 18 years of giving 120% of myself. Just depressing.

I don’t even know where to go from here. Done some updates on LinkedIn and updated my CV. But I feel mentally broken and feel like I’m not good enough or didn’t work hard enough which I know can’t be true.

I was given a four page letter to sign in order to get my two weeks out and was told to have a lawyer review it first if I wanted.

We are debt free minus the house and 4k we are short in escrow. I stopped all Roth and 403b contributions. I was making 95k and wife is still working making 70k. Mortgage is $1600 a month and not due until August since we have been paying ahead. Also have about 7k in crypto I can cash out.

Sorry to vent. Just respect you all a lot and looking for help and advice through these murky waters. Thank you

**Edit** The cause was that they are doing a re-org and no longer need my position.
Sorry that it happened to you. It happened to me a few times over 30+ years. It isn’t personal. Business is largely transactional. As soon as they don’t need you, or think they don’t you are gone.

It is tough but you will get past it. The hard part the first time is just accepting it. If you go through again you will be more immune to it.
Topic Author
BlackwaterPark10

CoAndy wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 8:42 am
I do. I started with my new employer on 5/13 and it's been good. The biggest problem is they "love me too much" it seems and I still feel I need to produce and do a million things to earn the love, mainly from PTSD I am assuming from my previous workplace. Things are similar and much different at the same time. It is a local government gig that's about 30% of the workload I was doing before, and able to focus on a resume weakness in this role and grow and learn with it. It is in the same FRS retirement system as my previous role and only .5 mile further drive to work each day. And in fact, one of the guys who worked for me, jumped ship to join me at the new employer making things super comfortable. It's been good.

Thanks for checking on me
CoAndy

Post by CoAndy »

BlackwaterPark10 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 12:55 pm
I do. I started with my new employer on 5/13 and it's been good. The biggest problem is they "love me too much" it seems and I still feel I need to produce and do a million things to earn the love, mainly from PTSD I am assuming from my previous workplace. Things are similar and much different at the same time. It is a local government gig that's about 30% of the workload I was doing before, and able to focus on a resume weakness in this role and grow and learn with it. It is in the same FRS retirement system as my previous role and only .5 mile further drive to work each day. And in fact, one of the guys who worked for me, jumped ship to join me at the new employer making things super comfortable. It's been good.

That's great to hear. Congratulations! :sharebeer
student

Post by student »

Congratulations.
cbs2002

Post by cbs2002 »

wasn't part of the original thread but congratulations OP! Sounds like you handled this transition well and landed on your feet. It means a lot to others to have stories like this documented, so thanks.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

Congratulations!

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
Flashes1

Post by Flashes1 »

Looking for a job while unemployed can be a traumatic experience. Congrats to the OP in finding a good job.