Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2024!

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
life in slices

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2024!

Post by life in slices »

Marathon Man wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:20 pm Joining this July!!

Wife and I are selling the house and almost all possessions. RV full time and traveling throughout the US, Canada, Europe, and Asia. Plan to see all 51 National Parks, run a race in every state and compete in marathons and ultra marathons worldwide. Will stay south in winters and north in summers to avoid the cold.

Thanks to Bogleheads, retiring at 57.
Congrats! That is going to be awesome and best wishes with the races, that is a great thing to retire to for sure. Any hiking in the plan as well? You'll definitely be passing through some amazing places
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

houseofnine wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:56 pm As planned, yesterday (3/29) was my last official day, even though I dropped off my stuff (laptop, phone, car) on 3/27. A little bittersweet, but mostly sweet! This will be a year of many transitions - moving house, etc.

However, as many others have posted, there is very little chance I would be in this enviable position without this forum. The combination of sage advice, technical knowledge, and thoughtful moderation, make this the best “nonsense-free” resource for investment/financial advice available. I honestly know of nothing else like it anywhere.

Although not an expert in any particular area, I hope to contribute to the forum so that others might see the same benefits that I have. Cheers to all!

:beer
Very nice post, houseofnine :happy Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call and this awesome Class of 2024!

"A year of many transitions" - that's a very appropriate way to describe the year of retirement. Best wishes for a very happy and successful year of many transitions and a very exciting retirement full of all good things :sharebeer
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Enzian wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:00 pm Last Thursday I informed my boss I’m planning on retiring July 31. That will be a month after my 64th birthday. I feel more confident and better prepared for retirement thanks to the many informative posts on this site. Happy to be heading out to the Endless Summer theme for the class of ‘24. I remember going to the movie when it came out and the surprise of seeing my father’s Malibu Outrigger in one of the early scenes.
Hi Enzian and a big welcome to this Fabulous Retirement Roll Call and the Endless Summer Class of 2024 8-) You'll be retiring in the middle of an endless summer and we hope that wherever you are and whatever you're doing brings back wonderful memories as well as future endless enjoyment of a smooth and happy retirement.

Please let us know what your future holds and how you plan to spend your free time in this great new adventure.

I don't know if this qualifies as Endless Summer, but it surely qualifies as Endless Awesome - The Downhill Run to Pape'ete"
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

IT'S TIME! Register for the 2024 Bogleheads Conference - September 27-29, 2024, in Minneapolis!

https://boglecenter.net/2024conference/
Simpleplease

Post by Simpleplease »

Early 2024 stopped working, I’m thinking this is it for any job needing commitment. 4 decades of corporate life is enuf. And to prove that point, after I negotiated an exit, a few weeks later they rif’d many of my old coworkers. Sad for them. A surprise layoff for me 20 years ago got me very serious about saving and planning, so glad I did.

Maybe I’ll find some golf course or other kinda easy part time gig for fun later, but for this year I’m still liking the no job world. Just trying to take some trips and stay physically active (new dog #2 will insure that). Figuring it out…and now the weather is finally getting warm so it feels like I’m on summer vacation again, after 40 years!!!!
belat

Post by belat »

Retiring in October of this year at 55. Already notified my manager. I know it's probably way earlier than I needed to, but it felt like the right thing to do and I'm actually quite relieved to have it off my chest. Manager was very supportive. Will be going down to 4 days a week starting now, and likely down to 3 days a week as October gets closer.

Just joined bogleheads forum last month. What a great community! Great wealth of knowledge and friendly supportive people. Also went to my first bogleheads local chapter meeting last week as well. :D
JPM

Post by JPM »

4/30/2024 at age 75.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Marathon Man wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:20 pm Joining this July!!

Wife and I are selling the house and almost all possessions. RV full time and traveling throughout the US, Canada, Europe, and Asia. Plan to see all 51 National Parks, run a race in every state and compete in marathons and ultra marathons worldwide. Will stay south in winters and north in summers to avoid the cold.

Thanks to Bogleheads, retiring at 57.
Congratulations Marathon Man and welcome to the Retirement Roll Call and this exciting Class of 2024!

Awesome and ambitious plans! We look forward to hearing how everything works out. And we're also impressed about your decluttering and minimizing your possessions :mrgreen: Best wishes for a great retirement, full of adventure and pleasure :beer
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Simpleplease wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 12:11 am Early 2024 stopped working, I’m thinking this is it for any job needing commitment. 4 decades of corporate life is enuf. And to prove that point, after I negotiated an exit, a few weeks later they rif’d many of my old coworkers. Sad for them. A surprise layoff for me 20 years ago got me very serious about saving and planning, so glad I did.
And we're also so glad you got serious about saving and planning! For sure, 4 decades of corporate life is enough. It gave you enough to live and retire and now it's enough and time to move on in life. Now you can hear the most sought-after words in the working world: "Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call" :D You're in the Class of 2024 - and what a great class it is.
Simpleplease wrote:Maybe I’ll find some golf course or other kinda easy part time gig for fun later, but for this year I’m still liking the no job world. Just trying to take some trips and stay physically active (new dog #2 will insure that). Figuring it out…and now the weather is finally getting warm so it feels like I’m on summer vacation again, after 40 years!!!!
What a wonderful feeling! We wish you all the best in this new summer vacation, may it last for many happy years and more. :happy
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

belat wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 3:52 pm Retiring in October of this year at 55. Already notified my manager. I know it's probably way earlier than I needed to, but it felt like the right thing to do and I'm actually quite relieved to have it off my chest. Manager was very supportive. Will be going down to 4 days a week starting now, and likely down to 3 days a week as October gets closer.

Just joined bogleheads forum last month. What a great community! Great wealth of knowledge and friendly supportive people. Also went to my first bogleheads local chapter meeting last week as well. :D
Welcome to the Bogleheads, belat, and a big welcome to our Retirement Roll Call :D You're a happy member of the Great Class of 2024.

Nice to have such a supportive send-off from your boss, makes those last few months go by easier. Be sure to file all your retirement paperwork on time LOL so you're not stressed out scrambling at the end. Then say your good-byes, send good-bye emails before the boss turns off your computer, enjoy your retirement cake, then out the door into the sunshine :beer

What are your retirement plans? We wish you a wonderful retirement and many new enjoyable experiences along the way 8-)
Topic Author
Miriam2

BH online meeting-"All About Annuities"- Tue June 4, 2024- 8:00 pm ET

Post by Miriam2 »

Please join the Bogleheads Life Stage Chapters on Tues. June 4, 2024, at 8:00 pm ET as they host retired life insurance professional and Boglehead favorite "Stinky" (aka Wayne) with an online presentation All About Annuities: a primer and complete overview of annuities, what they are, what they do and don't do, what are the negatives, why would we want or need one, which one? and when should we consider buying one, etc.

8:00 pm Eastern | 7:00 pm Central | 6:00 pm Mountain | 5:00 pm Pacific | 2:00 pm Hawaii

Stinky has over 40 years in senior financial roles in major life insurance companies and is an engaging presenter of these complicated topics. There will be plenty of time for your Q & A and discussion. All Bogleheads are invited - it's never too early to learn about future possibilities :happy

Below is the zoom link for this meeting and the zoom link is also posted on the Bogleheads Calendar of Events. It's not necessary to rsvp for this meeting.

Topic: All About Annuities
Time: Tues, June 4, 2024- 08:00 pm ET (US & Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting -
https://us06web.zoom.us/j/83114632791?p ... mnaHDxRf.1

Meeting ID: 831 1463 2791
Passcode: 812810

Find your local number: https://us06web.zoom.us/u/kcG0nazXVp
Last edited by Miriam2 on Sun May 26, 2024 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
belat

Post by belat »

Miriam2 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 1:57 pm Welcome to the Bogleheads, belat, and a big welcome to our Retirement Roll Call :D You're a happy member of the Great Class of 2024.

Nice to have such a supportive send-off from your boss, makes those last few months go by easier. Be sure to file all your retirement paperwork on time LOL so you're not stressed out scrambling at the end. Then say your good-byes, send good-bye emails before the boss turns off your computer, enjoy your retirement cake, then out the door into the sunshine :beer

What are your retirement plans? We wish you a wonderful retirement and many new enjoyable experiences along the way 8-)
Thank you very much Miriam2! I'm really looking forward initially to just having some time off and not having to worry about the responsibilities and politics of the corporate world. My wife and I hired a financial planner (fee only, flat rate fiduciary) to check our financial status and create a plan and all looked good there, so now my focus has shifted more to the non-financial stuff (the fun stuff ;-))

I have more hobbies and activities than I know what to do with (eBay selling, computers, programming, nature hikes, woodworking, etc.). My biggest goal in the near term though is to try and build up my social network more as up until recently it's been mainly work during the day and then family evening and weekends. I may look into volunteering opportunities and / or golf or pickleball group etc. Maybe even work on my own small business ideas that I've been contemplating. I've been reading some books on how to have a "fulfilling retirement" and all seem to agree that it's best to stay fairly busy, be spontaneous, and to have a good mix of different activities.
:sharebeer
Lastly my wife and I want to start exploring and "test driving" warm weather locations for doing the snowbird thing in the future. Debating about buying a camper trailer or RV vs. just renting at different locations. If anyone has recommendations I'm all ears. :D
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

Barkingsparrow wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:22 am
Barkingsparrow wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 11:27 am I had no idea this class was already active. I had planned to retire a few years earlier, but then came COVID, which resulted in my job being changed to a full-time remote status. That put me into a OMY frame of mind.

But it's time. My energy and focus are rapidly waning, and I'm literally starting to run on fumes.

June 28, 2024, 349 days away.
First phase completed - my wife retired Dec 29, 2023. It's been an interesting experience to see what she is going through. She is full-time remote (as I am) and it was strange to see how it unfolded. She volunteered to cover Christmas week so that nearly her entire team could take vacation. So come Friday, her last day, she just worked her normal hours, then logged off and shutdown her PC - and that was it.

Today is her first real day of retirement and she is in the process of developing a structure. I can tell she is making an emotional adjustment.

As for me, still on track for June 28th. I'll make a final decision by end of Feb. That decision is contingent on whether any exciting project work comes my way.
Hi Miriam -

Change of plans. I am not retiring this year. In fact, I do not now have a targeted date. Things are far better at work, with some interesting and challenging projects, yet with a very low stress level; and my health is good. My wife has happily transitioned into retirement and busy with her hobbies and social activities. I still am not in that position of being fed up with my job and I've yet to figure out what I am going to retire "into".
Last edited by Barkingsparrow on Wed May 22, 2024 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bampf

Post by bampf »

belat wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 10:04 pm
Miriam2 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 1:57 pm Welcome to the Bogleheads, belat, and a big welcome to our Retirement Roll Call :D You're a happy member of the Great Class of 2024.

<snip>
Lastly my wife and I want to start exploring and "test driving" warm weather locations for doing the snowbird thing in the future. Debating about buying a camper trailer or RV vs. just renting at different locations. If anyone has recommendations I'm all ears. :D
This feels like a good time to buy a trailer or Rv. A lot of people purchased during the pandemic and now there is a flood of rarely used rvs out there. I just picked one up that was 1 year old, never used and 37K under what the guy paid for it. That said, not trivial and make sure you really like it.
Nescio
belat

Post by belat »

bampf wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 7:06 pm This feels like a good time to buy a trailer or Rv. A lot of people purchased during the pandemic and now there is a flood of rarely used rvs out there. I just picked one up that was 1 year old, never used and 37K under what the guy paid for it. That said, not trivial and make sure you really like it.
Thanks much for the reply bampf! Good suggestion. I will take a look on my local Craigslist to see what is out there for used RV's.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

belat wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 10:04 pm I have more hobbies and activities than I know what to do with (eBay selling, computers, programming, nature hikes, woodworking, etc.). My biggest goal in the near term though is to try and build up my social network more as up until recently it's been mainly work during the day and then family evening and weekends. I may look into volunteering opportunities and / or golf or pickleball group etc. Maybe even work on my own small business ideas that I've been contemplating. I've been reading some books on how to have a "fulfilling retirement" and all seem to agree that it's best to stay fairly busy, be spontaneous, and to have a good mix of different activities.
Looks like a nice plan and you certainly have a life full of interests and hobbies. I especially like the suggestion to be sponteneous :D That's how we can break out of "our mold of our life" and try something so new that we never even thought about it, but friends or really new friends or family do things or go places we never considered "worthwhile" - we may find we really like it! (or we may find it was a really "interesting" and "once-in-a-lifetime" experience never to be forgotten :mrgreen:
Seniorfire

Post by Seniorfire »

12/22/2024
Age 64
Both my wife and I
Cant wait!!
Marathon Man

Post by Marathon Man »

belat wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 9:57 am
bampf wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 7:06 pm This feels like a good time to buy a trailer or Rv. A lot of people purchased during the pandemic and now there is a flood of rarely used rvs out there. I just picked one up that was 1 year old, never used and 37K under what the guy paid for it. That said, not trivial and make sure you really like it.
Thanks much for the reply bampf! Good suggestion. I will take a look on my local Craigslist to see what is out there for used RV's.
I highly recommend renting one first. Do it for a week or two if you can. We are on our 3rd one and love it, but many people spend a lot of money buying one, try it a few times and decide it's not for them. Reselling is painful and could be costly.
belat

Post by belat »

Marathon Man wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 5:31 pm
belat wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 9:57 am
I highly recommend renting one first. Do it for a week or two if you can. We are on our 3rd one and love it, but many people spend a lot of money buying one, try it a few times and decide it's not for them. Reselling is painful and could be costly.
Sound advice. Nothing really jumped out at me when perusing my local Craigslist for RV's so far. Will take a look at renting options.
Cheddarhead

Post by Cheddarhead »

I did it! Today is my first day of retirement at age 60. I left my employment yesterday at 5:00 pm, so it is official. I'm looking forward to my new chapter in life. Thanks to everyone for all your shared wisdom and advice. I am deeply indebted to this community and look forward to many more years of continued financial advice and comradery. This forum has transformed my life in so many ways. Everyone, please continue to share your advice, experiences and wisdom with this forum/community.

It is a blessing to read everyday!

Todd
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Reminder for this upcoming online meeting with Stinky and "All About Annuities" 8-)

Please join the Bogleheads Life Stage Chapters on Tues. June 4, 2024, at 8:00 pm ET as they host retired life insurance professional and Boglehead favorite "Stinky" (aka Wayne) with an online presentation All About Annuities: a primer and complete overview of annuities, what they are, what they do and don't do, what are the negatives, why would we want or need one, which one? and when should we consider buying one, etc.

Please see upthread ^^^^ for the details and the zoom link.

You can post your Qs for Stinky here, or bring them with you to the meeting where you can ask them in the chat or out-loud. The meeting will be recorded and it's ok to keep your video off if you wish.

Let me know if you have any questions about the meeting or zoom.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

JPM wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 7:43 am 4/30/2024 at age 75.
Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call, JPM! You're in this Truly Fabulous Retirement Class of 2024 8-)

I apologize for being delayed in my retirement welcomes - I'm still a work in progress :mrgreen: But one thing is for sure: It's enjoyable to welcome Bogleheads to the Retirement Roll Call. Retirement is a wonderful time of life and a new beginning. Age 75 is awesome, and a great time to retire!

Best wishes for a wonderful retirement - please let us know what you are doing and what your plans are in this new adventure.
Ependytis

Post by Ependytis »

I retired 18 March 2024. I am 60 years old. I was worried that I wouldn’t have enough to do. I find by planning the day before what I want to get done the next day, I’m busier than when I was working. My activities include playing Pickleball, Monday, Wednesdays, and Fridays, attending Toastmasters on Mondays, attending a book club once a month on Sundays, attending a weekly Mens Team on Thursdays, making dinners for the week on Wednesdays, and completing chores and items I want to get done around the house on weekdays. I expect the chores and stuff around the house will be done soon and I’ll have to focus on something else, perhaps writing a book. As a sidenote, what I learned on Bogleheads, basically paid for my healthcare insurance.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Barkingsparrow wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 11:33 am Change of plans. I am not retiring this year. In fact, I do not now have a targeted date. Things are far better at work, with some interesting and challenging projects, yet with a very low stress level; and my health is good. My wife has happily transitioned into retirement and busy with her hobbies and social activities. I still am not in that position of being fed up with my job and I've yet to figure out what I am going to retire "into".
Thanks for checking in! Seems to me you made a good decision at this point. Simply said, why retire if you don't have to and you have a good job, low stress, interesting and challenging projects, good health, and there is nothing important at this time to fill the empty time or absence of scheduled activity that will likely occur in retirement. Take it month by month and see what happens, fill the financial retirement buckets with more :moneybag to make retirement more pleasant, watch how your wife handles her retirement and make plans, then be realistic and make the decision that it's really time to retire and begin a new period of life. :happy
Goldfinger

Post by Goldfinger »

I retired May 31st, 2024, after teaching for 21 years. 59 years old. First career was corporate for 14 years. Spousal unit has another 3-4 years since she's younger. Pension starts in a few months, so it should be a bit easier not to be very reliant on portfolio for sustenance. Withdrawal rate to hover around 1% until house paid for in '27. Once wife retires, w/drawal rate should be 3%. 4 kids. 1st: launched, 2nd: 75% launched, 3rd: college freshman, 4th: high school sophomore.

AA: 55/45

Equity side: slight value and size tilt, 75% domestic & 25% international
Bond side: Mostly intermediate-term bond index, some short-term bond index, a bit light on tips but adding to them. Will probably construct a light 25-yr tips ladder once we both retire.

New career: Casual living consultant. :sharebeer

Increasing workouts to 5-6 times/week from twice/week. Eating even healthier than before, but did alright nutrition-wise while working. Reading much more now than before. Increasing my participation as a domestic engineer and catching on pretty quickly.

Becoming more active in my Corvette club and traveling mostly in Texas to drive n dines and charity events. An occasional Boglehead chapter meeting.

Retirement hasn't completely sunk in yet since teachers begin every summer the same way, but once everyone's back to school in the fall, I'm sure it will hit me.

-- Goldfinger
"At cocktail parties lovely ladies would corner me and ask my opinion of the market, but alas, when they learned I was a bond man, they would quietly drift away." -- Sidney Homer/Salomon Bros
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Seniorfire wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 3:32 pm 12/22/2024
Age 64
Both my wife and I
Can't wait!!
Great news! And you'll have double celebrations - celebrating two retirements, and then the new retirement year for both of you! 🎉🎉

Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call and this Retirement Class of 2024! What's on the upcoming retirement plan? Whatever you plan for, make sure to enjoy new things, you never know how they can change your life, and keep your contacts with coworkers and friends, perhaps regular lunches or walks. Best wishes for a long wonderful retirement :beer
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Cheddarhead wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 10:43 am I did it! Today is my first day of retirement at age 60. I left my employment yesterday at 5:00 pm, so it is official. I'm looking forward to my new chapter in life. Thanks to everyone for all your shared wisdom and advice. I am deeply indebted to this community and look forward to many more years of continued financial advice and comradery. This forum has transformed my life in so many ways. Everyone, please continue to share your advice, experiences and wisdom with this forum/community.

It is a blessing to read everyday!
Nice compliments for this wonderful Bogleheads forum! Congratulations on punching out - we wish you a long happy retirement :sharebeer
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

BernardShakey wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 5:48 pm
Miriam2 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:30 pm
BernardShakey wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:17 pm Please check me into the Retirement Roll Call for 2023!

After 37+ years at one storied megacorp, I decided today to hang it up for good on September 29th, 2023. It's been a good run that began the week after graduating from college. Lots of memories, great people, and some cool stories to tell.

And thanks to all of you Bogleheads --- you've helped me become confident in my retirement readiness and to thoughtfully consider how to spend my remaining years.

This moment reminds me of a quote:

"I feel like I've stolen a car...a really nice car. And I keep looking in the rearview mirror for flashing lights. Nothing yet."

Thanks.
Thank you for such a nice retirement post, Bernard! Wow! 37+ years at one storied megacorp 8-) and it's nice to hear how you worked so many years with worthwhile work and great fellow workers. Well now you're in the storied megaretirement class! Many Bogleheads plan for years for the day they reach this roll call, they dream about it and some can't sleep at night until they hear these beautiful words: Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call!

Now we're interested on how you're going to spend your retirement years, other than evading the Law :mrgreen:

We wish you all the best in this new phase of life :beer
Well, I have to provide a very delayed follow-up. Retirement didn't occur exactly when planned (9/29/23). I'm about 9 months late to my original post ---- last day at work is now Friday, June 28, 2024.....for "reals" this time :beer
LOL that's ok, hope you enjoyed the last 9 months and on the positive side, you probably have even more memories and cool stories to tell and even puffed up those retirement coffers :beer Since you're retiring in 2024, we just transmigrated you over here to this wonderful Retirement Class of 2024 - and what a great class it is. You're in the same class as longinvest - you can ask him about his VPW (Variable Percentage Withdrawal) 8-)

Best wishes for a wonderful retirement, hope it is everything you wished for and more. Please share your retirement plans and adventures!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Ependytis wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 10:25 am I retired 18 March 2024. I am 60 years old. I was worried that I wouldn’t have enough to do. I find by planning the day before what I want to get done the next day, I’m busier than when I was working. My activities include playing Pickleball, Monday, Wednesdays, and Fridays, attending Toastmasters on Mondays, attending a book club once a month on Sundays, attending a weekly Men's Team on Thursdays, making dinners for the week on Wednesdays, and completing chores and items I want to get done around the house on weekdays. I expect the chores and stuff around the house will be done soon and I’ll have to focus on something else, perhaps writing a book. As a sidenote, what I learned on Bogleheads, basically paid for my healthcare insurance.
Thank you so much for your interesting post about your new life as a new retiree! Good ideas for others trying to fill that empty space. I'm quite impressed you can make a week's worth of dinners in one day 8-)

Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call and this great Class of 2024! Hope you continue to have good times and lots of worthwhile projects, excitement on the pickleball courts and interesting Toastmasters skills, plenty of new experiences and fun vacations, all with good health and sunshine :D
BernardShakey

Post by BernardShakey »

Miriam2 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 11:45 pm
BernardShakey wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 5:48 pm
Miriam2 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:30 pm
BernardShakey wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:17 pm Please check me into the Retirement Roll Call for 2023!

After 37+ years at one storied megacorp, I decided today to hang it up for good on September 29th, 2023. It's been a good run that began the week after graduating from college. Lots of memories, great people, and some cool stories to tell.

And thanks to all of you Bogleheads --- you've helped me become confident in my retirement readiness and to thoughtfully consider how to spend my remaining years.

This moment reminds me of a quote:

"I feel like I've stolen a car...a really nice car. And I keep looking in the rearview mirror for flashing lights. Nothing yet."

Thanks.
Thank you for such a nice retirement post, Bernard! Wow! 37+ years at one storied megacorp 8-) and it's nice to hear how you worked so many years with worthwhile work and great fellow workers. Well now you're in the storied megaretirement class! Many Bogleheads plan for years for the day they reach this roll call, they dream about it and some can't sleep at night until they hear these beautiful words: Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call!

Now we're interested on how you're going to spend your retirement years, other than evading the Law :mrgreen:

We wish you all the best in this new phase of life :beer
Well, I have to provide a very delayed follow-up. Retirement didn't occur exactly when planned (9/29/23). I'm about 9 months late to my original post ---- last day at work is now Friday, June 28, 2024.....for "reals" this time :beer
LOL that's ok, hope you enjoyed the last 9 months and on the positive side, you probably have even more memories and cool stories to tell and even puffed up those retirement coffers :beer Since you're retiring in 2024, we just transmigrated you over here to this wonderful Retirement Class of 2024 - and what a great class it is. You're in the same class as longinvest - you can ask him about his VPW (Variable Percentage Withdrawal) 8-)

Best wishes for a wonderful retirement, hope it is everything you wished for and more. Please share your retirement plans and adventures!
Thanks so much, Miriam2! 12 more working days!

Plans include travel to Ireland, Austria, and the U.S.
Volunteering
Daily physical fitness
The Bogleheads Forum, of course
And diving deep into the catalogs of a dozen of my favorite musicians (for the curious...Tom Waits, Molly Tuttle, Van Morrison, Susan Tedeschi, Jackson Browne, Rhiannon Giddens, The Rolling Stones, Natalie Merchant, John Prine, Bonnie Raitt, The Band, and of course Neil Young).

So excited, I could scream! And thanks to the Bogleheads for helping me get to this point :beer
An important key to investing is having a well-calibrated sense of your future regret.