What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
B88

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by B88 »

Only Lovers Left Alive is a gem and so overlooked.
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

I just saw The Beach Boys, a documentary film on Disney +. I think it came out in May 2024.

Touching and insightful, with lots of music and historical nuggets, this was a good watch. I had forgotten about how Murry Wilson sold off the song catalog for a relative pittance, costing his son Brian untold millions. And Mike Love, who wrote the lyrics for many of the Beach Boys’ hits, never got songwriting credit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_Rspu3Xoi4
retireIn2020

Post by retireIn2020 »

Saving Private Ryan, what an excellent movie on TCM with no commercials. Seemed appropriate for the 80th anniversary of D day.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/abide
runner26

Post by runner26 »

physics911 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 5:29 pm The Iron Claw. Not uplifting, but a great film. As a child of the 70's and 80's, who attended a lot of wraslin' matches, all of the characters rang true with me. This is a great film, definitely worth watching, but The Wrestler is still better.
I'm not a fan of wrestling, but did like this film!
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

Megan Leavey

A young woman (Megan Leavey played by Kate Mara) cannot
hold down a job and is wandering aimlessly through life. Almost
on a whim she joins the Marines to give her life some structure,
direction, and discipline.
She becomes attached to a K-9 unit and is sent to Iraq. The
movie is a little long and some parts drag but her bond and
dependency on her dog finding IEDs is a moving story. The
emotional "stand up and applaud" ending is excellent.
Based on actual people/events.
Viewed on Netflix
keeptruckin

Post by keeptruckin »

Anatomy of a Fall (2023), on physical 4k disc.

Did she kill her husband, or didn't she? Does it matter?

Interesting look at relationships, language, gender, xenophobia, and truth. I loved it, but it wasn't cut and dry and won't be for everybody.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

jjunk wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 11:47 am The League on Hulu. Interesting documentary about the Negroe League and how it transformed baseball and society over time. I'd just finished a book about the 1948 Indians team that won the World Series thanks to Larry Doby and Satchel Paige so this was a nice add-on to that story. Highly recommend if you love baseball history (or history in general).
Really wanted to see this. Didn't know it was on Hulu. Thanks.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

It seems to be time for our once every year or two decision to watch The Contender.

This is the movie about politics, starring Jeff Bridges, Joan Allen, Gary Oldham, Sam Elliot...

IF you look it up in Wikipedia, that last paragraph has a major spoiler.
But there are several other good twists before getting to that final one.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

jginseattle wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 10:07 pm Hit Man. Directed by Richard Linklater. Starring Glen Powell and Adria Arjona. A terrific new romantic comedy/thriller.

In theaters now. It becomes available on Netflix on June 7th.

Recommended.
Watched it on Netflix tonight. Well done.

Glen Powell had a terrific role with so many character and costume opportunities.

Not a morality play. DW rejects the "comedy" designation. It had a few laughs, but not a comedy. Still, recommended.
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

heartwood wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 9:25 pm
jginseattle wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 10:07 pm Hit Man. Directed by Richard Linklater. Starring Glen Powell and Adria Arjona. A terrific new romantic comedy/thriller.

Recommended.

Glen Powell had a terrific role with so many character and costume opportunities.

Not a morality play. DW rejects the "comedy" designation. It had a few laughs, but not a comedy. Still, recommended.
I would characterize it as a somewhat dark comedy.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

Coal Miner's Daughter (1980)
Free on YouTube.
Biography of the first lady of country, Loretta Lynn.
Sissy Spacek sparkles in her Oscar-winning role :beer and spectacular music.
cs412a

Post by cs412a »

For those who like animation, The Secret of Kells and Kubo and the Two Strings on Kanopy through my local library.

Trailers:

https://youtu.be/tMPhHTtKZ8Q

https://youtu.be/qZefKaANfe0
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Hit Man on Netflix, rated R, 2023, Glen Powell, Adria Arjona, action / comedy / crime. A professor moonlighting as a hit man of sorts for his city police department, descends into dangerous, dubious territory when he finds himself attracted to a woman who enlists his services.

I agree this is a dark comedy, but it's not that dark and contained some good subtle humor. Very well done. I liked it.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
littlerfish

Post by littlerfish »

My library finally coughed up the DVD of "Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning Part One".

Bad. Maybe as bad as MI 2. Maybe worse. And I'm a fan -- I liked three, four, and five.

Bizarre unbelievable and almost incomprehensible plot revolving around a fancy key which will somehow allow Hunt to stop a sentient raging computer virus by unlocking a vault which is at the bottom of the Arctic Ocean inside a sunken Russian submarine. See what I mean? The key is, of course, radioactive, so that Ving Rhames can somehow build a tracker which will find it in a crowded party in Venice (sure, why not Venice?) Two platinum blondes, two brunettes with English accents, various assorted folks who if this was a Star Trek movie would be wearing red shirts, and Esai Morales as some kind of human agent of the all-powerful virus. And the Orient Express uses a coal-fired steam locomotive? Not in real life. It uses conventional diesel-electric engines.

Probably 40 minutes of turgid and pointless expository explanations in the first hour! Death to an action movie. I imagine they shoehorned that in, in a vain attempt to make the plot comprehensible. And then it just ends in the middle of the story. Presumably the follow-up will take us down to the sunken sub, and more red-shirts will be disposed of.

This was filmed in late 2020, and some of the COVID distancing can be noticed in the scenes. Probably contributes to some of the awkwardness.

Glad I didn't pay for this, but kind of upset I wasted the time to watch it.
soretired

Post by soretired »

Dave5280 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 8:28 pm Begin Again

2013 movie with Kira Knightly, Adam Levine, and Mark Ruffalo.
How about a short review? :)
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Rawhide (1951) Tyrone Power, Susan Hayward, Hugh Marlowe, Dean Jagger, Jack Elam (!), Edgar Buchanan, directed by Henry Hathaway

A stagecoach stop employee and a stranded woman traveller find themselves at the mercy of four desperate outlaws intent on robbing the next day's gold shipment.

A much better western than I expected with a standout performance by a youngish Jack Elam! Be advised that it’s quite violent with a disturbing scene of a toddler being shot at. Recommended. I watched it on broadcast TV.
brandy

Post by brandy »

I happened on "On the Basis of Sex" about Ruth Bader Ginsburg, early cases, and the one she chanced upon with a man complaining he was being discriminated against because of his gender. And how RBG, with that case, started the change of the course of history.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

Topper (1937) on Crackle.

Pleasant to watch, esp Cary Grant and his clothes. Constance Bennett was a great foil for Grant. Some other recognizable actors. No CGI in this one!
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

heartwood wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 10:14 am Topper (1937) on Crackle.

Pleasant to watch, esp Cary Grant and his clothes. Constance Bennett was a great foil for Grant. Some other recognizable actors. No CGI in this one!
Topper is one of my favorite movies :D
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

minesweep wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:38 am "The Zone of Interest". It’s a German movie with English subtitles. It has received 5 Academy Award nominations (best picture, best director, best adapted screenplay, best international feature film, & best sound).

It’s about the German family who lives next door to Auschwitz in World War II Poland. It’s no ordinary family. A German Nazi commandant lives there with his wife and 5 children. The only thing separating them from each other is a wall. There are no scenes from inside the concentration camp. All that you hear and see are muffled voices, gunshots, images of smoke coming from a train locomotive, and huge towering chimneys with the glow of fire at night.

The acting is excellent. The sound is something like you might hear in a horror film. I watched the movie on HDO (not a misspelling of HBO) using my Amazon firestick.

I recommend the film highly as it portrays a stark contrast between the two different lifestyles. I couldn’t help thinking of our own lifestyles that we enjoy today and some of the misery that peoples in other areas of the world are going through. We may not live in a big house next to Auschwitz, but the Auschwitzes of the world are close to our mind and hearts.
Spot on analysis. I'm almost done watching it -- I needed to go to bed early last night, so will resume tonight.

It's chilling in the ordinariness of the day-to-day mundane activities of the family as the horrors go on just behind the wall that forms one side of their backyard. And their backyard is particularly beautiful with flowers in a large, well-tended garden. And there's a nice lake nearby.

But what's up with the artsy interludes?!! Maybe it will make sense later on, but now it's just a distraction.

For those who are considering watching the film, note that it really doesn't have a plot (at least not yet.) It's mainly just observing the daily goings-on, which given the context, is interesting (to me anyway) even without a real plot.

I recently finished "Anatomy of a Fall" -- a French legal drama. I happen to like foreign films so it didn't bother me too much that it was a "small" film -- i..e. one focused on the minutiae of a particular suspicious death and only a handfull of characters and their individual psychologies, withut any broad sweeping OMG drama. But it's not for everyone, as has been mentioned frequently earlier in the thread.
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

LadyGeek wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 6:53 am Hit Man on Netflix, rated R, 2023, Glen Powell, Adria Arjona, action / comedy / crime. A professor moonlighting as a hit man of sorts for his city police department, descends into dangerous, dubious territory when he finds himself attracted to a woman who enlists his services.

I agree this is a dark comedy, but it's not that dark and contained some good subtle humor. Very well done. I liked it.
We recently finished this as well. Overall we liked it. It started slow but built into an interesting story and I thought the leads had good chemistry. It defintely wasnt what we were expecting so we were pleasantly surprised.

I also saw Bad Boys 4? in the theater. It was just as good as the others. So I'd recommend it to anyone who liked the first few movies. Martin Lawrence really steals the show in the latest installment. I hadnt seen him in much and its easy to forget just how hilarious he really is.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

I have seen Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes twice in the last several days. I enjoyed the movie with a different grandson each time.

There has been so many movies in this franchise, the wiki link below gives info as to the current series:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_o ... f_the_Apes

The plot was thin, but plenty of action and great CGI, a major step up from the earlier films.

We all enjoyed ourselves. For a couple of hours we were looking at the same screen for a change. :D

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
Itzapi

Post by Itzapi »

12 Angry Men is really underrated, but once you start watching you'll be hooked
nonnie

Post by nonnie »

jjunk wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 3:29 pm
LadyGeek wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 6:53 am Hit Man on Netflix, rated R, 2023, Glen Powell, Adria Arjona, action / comedy / crime. A professor moonlighting as a hit man of sorts for his city police department, descends into dangerous, dubious territory when he finds himself attracted to a woman who enlists his services.

We recently finished this as well. Overall we liked it. It started slow but built into an interesting story and I thought the leads had good chemistry. It defintely wasnt what we were expecting so we were pleasantly surprised.

I also saw Bad Boys 4? in the theater. It was just as good as the others. So I'd recommend it to anyone who liked the first few movies. Martin Lawrence really steals the show in the latest installment. I hadnt seen him in much and its easy to forget just how hilarious he really is.
I have been trying to get through Hit Man all week and it just doesn't appeal to me. Interesting that apparently everyone else likes it.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

The Accountant on Netflix. Ben Affleck stars as an autistic accountant who helps criminals (and businesses) track down missing money. But when a legitimate business hires him to track down what happened to missing millions, people start dying and he must use his “particular set of skills” to keep Anna Kendrick alive while he figures out the underlying mystery. Great costars including JK Simmons, Jeffrey Tambor and John Lithgow. Originally made in 2016, it finally has a sequel greenlit. A fun little movie that didn’t do that well on release, hopefully the sequel will do better and bring more attention to this fun action thriller.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

Recommended.

Saw in the NTY today that apparently the Hit Man movie is based on a fact based story. https://www.texasmonthly.com/true-crime/hit-man-2/
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

heartwood wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:35 pm

Recommended.

Saw in the NTY today that apparently the Hit Man movie is based on a fact based story. https://www.texasmonthly.com/true-crime/hit-man-2/
They showed Gary Johnson’s picture and real life bio at the end of the movie. I thought overall it was more comedy than drama, and pretty funny at times.
runner26

Post by runner26 »

The Great Lilian Hall on HBO Max...A+

As beloved Broadway star Lillian Hall (Jessica Lange) pours her heart, soul, and time into preparing for her next big role, she finds herself blindsided by confusion and forgetfulness. Battling against all odds to make it to opening night, while holding on to her fading memories and identity, she must navigate a tumultuous emotional journey -- balancing her desire for the spotlight and the stark demands of the real world.
doobiedoo

Post by doobiedoo »

I finally saw "Oppenheimer" on Amazon Prime for $6.
Cillian Murphy was terrific. I had long thought he was underrated and overlooked as an actor.

The movie itself was good and quite interesting, but about 30 min too long.
I've watched 3 hr movies without thinking about how long they are, e.g. Titanic, Schindler's List.
But Oppenheimer wasn't one of them.

Can anyone recommend a good biography book on J. Robert Oppenheimer?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

doobiedoo wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:22 am Can anyone recommend a good biography book on J. Robert Oppenheimer?
Book recommendations are in What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI. Search the thread for oppenheimer. There are several mentions.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.