Bank of America/Merrill Edge - Preferred Rewards

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Tryingtogetbetter

Re: Bank of America/Merrill Edge - Preferred Rewards

Post by Tryingtogetbetter »

Ok so that didnt work. Setup an account but on logging in at the top right unlike my account does not show preferred rewards. So a bank trip it probably has to be..
bople

Post by bople »

Tryingtogetbetter wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 7:32 pm
bople wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 1:23 pm Setup a login for your spouse on MLOL and go to https://secure.fs.ml.com/customer-rewards/myrewards/

I went through my old (10 years ago) emails and we had Preferred Rewards before we had any BofA checking account. I am willing to be that your spouse will show PH status and you don't have to do anything.
Ok, il give it a shot, setup her login and report back. By the way the link you have on your posts leads to a "403 forbidden page'. Tried after I logged into ME (merrill edge) and still same result. Does that link work for you? Still, when i log in usually through ME, on top right for me after my login it says preferred rewards and underneath it platinum honors so will check if that appears or does not in my spouses too. Thanks
It does, but I have to be logged in. What page does it send you to if you click the "View My Rewards" link right next to Platinum Rewards in the top right block you mention? That is the page I end up on if I click it on my block.
Tryingtogetbetter wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 11:56 pm Ok so that didnt work. Setup an account but on logging in at the top right unlike my account does not show preferred rewards. So a bank trip it probably has to be..
Bummer. Maybe it worked for us because we had non-Edge Merrill accounts?
Hyperchicken

Post by Hyperchicken »

Tryingtogetbetter wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 11:56 pm Ok so that didnt work. Setup an account but on logging in at the top right unlike my account does not show preferred rewards. So a bank trip it probably has to be..
For me it took about 3 days for my newly created ME account to pick up my BofA Preferred Rewards status.
bbrock

Post by bbrock »

Hyperchicken wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 11:13 am
For me it took about 3 days for my newly created ME account to pick up my BofA Preferred Rewards status.
How on earth were you able to get three days? I think that may be the record.
bbrock
Hyperchicken

Post by Hyperchicken »

bbrock wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 11:35 am
In a true Boglehead way - by doing nothing! :P
(It might have been 5 days, it's been a while.)
bbrock

Post by bbrock »

Hyperchicken wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 11:41 am
Nice. Well done 👍
bbrock
bople

Post by bople »

Hyperchicken wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 11:41 am
@Hyperchicken, for clarity, are referring to the case where you already had Preferred Rewards status at BofA and opened a new ME account which showed Preferred Rewards status 5 days later?

Or where you opened a new ME account, funded it and then got Preferred Rewards status 5 days later? In the later case, did you have any other BofA accounts open before the ME account was opened and funded?
Hyperchicken

Post by Hyperchicken »

bople wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 12:11 pm @Hyperchicken, for clarity, are referring to the case where you already had Preferred Rewards status at BofA and opened a new ME account which showed Preferred Rewards status 5 days later?
This.
bople wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 12:11 pm Or where you opened a new ME account, funded it and then got Preferred Rewards status 5 days later? In the later case, did you have any other BofA accounts open before the ME account was opened and funded?
Not this. It is my understanding that that would not be possible due to the 3-month rolling average calculation method. Either way, I had BofA checking long before I opened ME account.
bbrock

Post by bbrock »

Hyperchicken wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 12:21 pm
bople wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 12:11 pm @Hyperchicken, for clarity, are referring to the case where you already had Preferred Rewards status at BofA and opened a new ME account which showed Preferred Rewards status 5 days later?
This.
bople wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 12:11 pm Or where you opened a new ME account, funded it and then got Preferred Rewards status 5 days later? In the later case, did you have any other BofA accounts open before the ME account was opened and funded?
Not this. It is my understanding that that would not be possible due to the 3-month rolling average calculation method. Either way, I had BofA checking long before I opened ME account.
What good is PH on a ME acct? Nada as far as I can tell. It’s on the BofA side that it has the benefits we are all seeking.
bbrock
Hyperchicken

Post by Hyperchicken »

bbrock wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 2:07 pm What good is PH on a ME acct? Nada as far as I can tell. It’s on the BofA side that it has the benefits we are all seeking.
I don't know. People asked, I answered.
bbrock

Post by bbrock »

Hyperchicken wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 2:11 pm
bbrock wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 2:07 pm What good is PH on a ME acct? Nada as far as I can tell. It’s on the BofA side that it has the benefits we are all seeking.
Good handle btw… hyperchicken
bbrock
bople

Post by bople »

Hyperchicken wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 2:11 pm
As I mentioned upthread, we got PH with just Merrill accounts and a BofA credit card account. The credit card was our only BofA account and it was receiving the correct 75% point boost. We just linked our BofA CC login with our MLOL login.

Later, BofA checking account got created, but that was years after we had been using our CC with the 75% boost.
Tryingtogetbetter

Ok so i set off a whole long set of messages.. sorry.

In any case we stopped by the BOA branch today and added spouse to my existing BOA checking account that i have PH status. As mentioned earlier in the thread we have a joint ME account and through that I have PH status. Wow everytime i visit BOA branch it feels like they are still in 90s or something. Glad they told me they got rid of deposit slips last month. Very different from chase. After almost an hour, and two visits, were able to add my spouse to my checking account. Apparently they have two systems and have to add name, id etc to to them separately.

I repeatedly asked if they could enroll her for the preferred rewards status right now and she said yes initially but then finally could not. Showed me.. software said not available or something like that. But we expressed "interest" in it. I even requested her to call in the preferred line and she was told the same. Apparently it takes 24 hours for BOA to see a 'new' account even though this is an existing 20 plus year account that i added my spouse to. Was asked to check on the mobile/online side and was told it should be there but tried just now and nada. Says nothing about preferred rewards. Also the person at BOA said that I cannot see the balances for any credit cards opened in my spouses name (even if she adds me as AU) and I cannot pay the credit card bills. She would need to. Seems strange that despite joint accounts for both BOA and ME that we will need to run transactions separately. Oh well i guess its good old BOA. Still love the 5.25% cash back and for that will deal with this for now :-)

Lastly when some of you have requested two CCR cards at one time, do u request one under the usual BOA CCR site and other as an affinity?

thanks
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Tryingtogetbetter wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 2:59 pm Lastly when some of you have requested two CCR cards at one time, do u request one under the usual BOA CCR site and other as an affinity?
At least one of them should be an affinity CCR so that you can get the $200 signup bonus for both CCRs.
bople

Post by bople »

Tryingtogetbetter wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 2:59 pm Was asked to check on the mobile/online side and was told it should be there but tried just now and nada. Says nothing about preferred rewards. Also the person at BOA said that I cannot see the balances for any credit cards opened in my spouses name (even if she adds me as AU) and I cannot pay the credit card bills. She would need to. Seems strange that despite joint accounts for both BOA and ME that we will need to run transactions separately. Oh well i guess its good old BOA. Still love the 5.25% cash back and for that will deal with this for now :-)
Based on @Hyperchicken's post, there is still a good chance that PH status will show up in a few days. BofA/Merrill can take a few days for the systems to sync.

Yes on not being able to see anything for an Authorized User. This is how it is with all of our Chase cards as well. We solve it by having our logins in a password manager with shared access and just login to whatever account is needed.
Bosro

Post by Bosro »

I received PR status within 5 days of opening all accounts as well. I followed the instructions given by somebody several pages back in this thread.
Tryingtogetbetter

bople wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 3:40 pm
Tryingtogetbetter wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 2:59 pm Was asked to check on the mobile/online side and was told it should be there but tried just now and nada. Says nothing about preferred rewards. Also the person at BOA said that I cannot see the balances for any credit cards opened in my spouses name (even if she adds me as AU) and I cannot pay the credit card bills. She would need to. Seems strange that despite joint accounts for both BOA and ME that we will need to run transactions separately. Oh well i guess its good old BOA. Still love the 5.25% cash back and for that will deal with this for now :-)
Based on @Hyperchicken's post, there is still a good chance that PH status will show up in a few days. BofA/Merrill can take a few days for the systems to sync.

Yes on not being able to see anything for an Authorized User. This is how it is with all of our Chase cards as well. We solve it by having our logins in a password manager with shared access and just login to whatever account is needed.
Will check back in a few days. No super hurry. I am hesitating applying for a card in case this takes a while to get preferred status.
Not being able to see anything: thats a little bit of nuisance but once i set up autopay it will be less of an issue. I thought at least with Amex the AU can see balance, transactions.
anon_investor wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 3:25 pm
Tryingtogetbetter wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 2:59 pm Lastly when some of you have requested two CCR cards at one time, do u request one under the usual BOA CCR site and other as an affinity?
At least one of them should be an affinity CCR so that you can get the $200 signup bonus for both CCRs.
Thanks. Spouse isnt right now too keen on multiple cards but lets see. Maybe one card for her and one or two CCR for me and UCR (presently have one CCR and one UCR).

Also is the chance of getting a card approval negatively impacted by applying for two at the same time? as in does applying in one day increase the chance of being rejected for both. Or do they split the credit limit between the two? I have never applied for more than one card even in a month!
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Tryingtogetbetter wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 7:49 pm Also is the chance of getting a card approval negatively impacted by applying for two at the same time? as in does applying in one day increase the chance of being rejected for both. Or do they split the credit limit between the two? I have never applied for more than one card even in a month!
I applied for a PR and CCR at the same time and it was only 1 credit pull. Both has a decent sized credit line, but YMMV.

I now have 4 BoA CCs: PR, red CCR, 2x affinity CCRs. I called in before to move the credit lines around, it was a quick call (shifted some credit line from each CCR to my PR).
Tryingtogetbetter

anon_investor wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:34 am
Tryingtogetbetter wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 7:49 pm Also is the chance of getting a card approval negatively impacted by applying for two at the same time? as in does applying in one day increase the chance of being rejected for both. Or do they split the credit limit between the two? I have never applied for more than one card even in a month!
I applied for a PR and CCR at the same time and it was only 1 credit pull. Both has a decent sized credit line, but YMMV.

I now have 4 BoA CCs: PR, red CCR, 2x affinity CCRs. I called in before to move the credit lines around, it was a quick call (shifted some credit line from each CCR to my PR).
Thanks for sharing your experience. Waiting on spouse getting the preferred category.. It says something about "on your way to preferred rewards".
stilllurking

Post by stilllurking »

Can someone remind me if a return is made on a CCR, will that reverse the original charge so that the $2,500 cap is reinstated?

Meaning, I buy $900 of stuff in a quarter and then $500 is returned. Do I have only $1,600 for the remainder of the quarter? Or do I have $2,100?
$2,500 - $400 of net spend = $2,100.
Lyrrad

Post by Lyrrad »

stilllurking wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 2:12 pm Can someone remind me if a return is made on a CCR, will that reverse the original charge so that the $2,500 cap is reinstated?

Meaning, I buy $900 of stuff in a quarter and then $500 is returned. Do I have only $1,600 for the remainder of the quarter? Or do I have $2,100?
$2,500 - $400 of net spend = $2,100.
It depends.

Generally, if it's the same amount of the original purchase, all the cash back, including the bonus category is deducted.

I've had some returns only deduct base cash back.

You can view cash back for posted transactions, including returns and refunds online, which can help determine how much of the limit you have left.

Edit: When I've had bonus cash back deducted from refunds, I've been able to spend more in that category to maximize it so that I get bonus cashback on $2500 of net spending.
Last edited by Lyrrad on Wed Jun 05, 2024 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stilllurking

Post by stilllurking »

I'm not referring to the cash back but the $2,500 quarterly cap on purchases. So will returns that claw back all off the cash back be allowed back into your spending cap?
FedGuy

Post by FedGuy »

stilllurking wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 3:33 pm I'm not referring to the cash back but the $2,500 quarterly cap on purchases. So will returns that claw back all off the cash back be allowed back into your spending cap?
It's been several years, but I once bought a phone with my CCR, which didn't work properly so I returned it a week or two later. I was surprised when, later in the quarter, I didn't get the full cash back on another purchase I made with that card. It turned out that the price of the phone was not credited back to the cap after I returned it. That is, the return did not claw back the cash back from my spending cap.
stilllurking

Post by stilllurking »

FedGuy wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 5:54 pm
stilllurking wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 3:33 pm I'm not referring to the cash back but the $2,500 quarterly cap on purchases. So will returns that claw back all off the cash back be allowed back into your spending cap?
It's been several years, but I once bought a phone with my CCR, which didn't work properly so I returned it a week or two later. I was surprised when, later in the quarter, I didn't get the full cash back on another purchase I made with that card. It turned out that the price of the phone was not credited back to the cap after I returned it. That is, the return did not claw back the cash back from my spending cap.
Thanks FedGuy. That's what I was hoping not to happen but confirmed my suspicion. I'll move my categories around for this last month of the quarter.
bbrock

Post by bbrock »

Making progress on PR status for DW. She's up to platinum status. Slowly but surely getting to the PH level. 50% bonus for the time being to the 2% (or 2 points on the PR card), and the 3% (or 3 pt on the PR card).
bbrock
Tryingtogetbetter

Ok follow up to my messages earlier. Spouse got PH status two days after adding to my existing checking account (was already joint in the ME account which is how i was PH). On logging in was 'invited' to sign up for preferred (though i could have sworn we did this on the first day after visiting the bank branch) and it said right there that the invitation was to become PH. So not bad, two days!!

Hope this helps anyone else who plans to add their spouse to their existing PH account.
i2cube

Post by i2cube »

How do you contribute to a ME Roth IRA using an external account?

When I went to the "transfer cash" page and select the Fidelity account that I have previously linked, the only destination account that it allows me to transfer the cash to is an ME CMA.

Can I only contribute to the ME Roth IRA using a BofA checking account or a ME CMA?
DiamondBuck

Post by DiamondBuck »

bbrock wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 4:36 pm Making progress on PR status for DW. She's up to platinum status. Slowly but surely getting to the PH level. 50% bonus for the time being to the 2% (or 2 points on the PR card), and the 3% (or 3 pt on the PR card).
I am intrigued by needing PH for DW. This is assuming you have it yourself.

My plan has been to add my fiancée as an Authorized User once married. I have PH status. I have the PRE, PR (which I will likely change to another CCR), and CCR.

Would my Authorize User get the same 75% bonus I get? Is there a reason other than the signup bonus to get her PH status?
need403bhelp

Post by need403bhelp »

DiamondBuck wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 8:35 am
bbrock wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 4:36 pm Making progress on PR status for DW. She's up to platinum status. Slowly but surely getting to the PH level. 50% bonus for the time being to the 2% (or 2 points on the PR card), and the 3% (or 3 pt on the PR card).

My plan has been to add my fiancée as an Authorized User once married. I have PH status. I have the PRE, PR (which I will likely change to another CCR), and CCR.

Would my Authorize User get the same 75% bonus I get? Is there a reason other than the signup bonus to get her PH status?
AU gets same bonus but if DW is PH can get own cards and increase total quarterly limits on CCRs for example (can get more cards faster with two individuals applying).
DiamondBuck

Post by DiamondBuck »

need403bhelp wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 11:13 am
AU gets same bonus but if DW is PH can get own cards and increase total quarterly limits on CCRs for example (can get more cards faster with two individuals applying).
Thank you very much. My future DW cherishes simplicity and uses a Discover card currently. I see getting her to the PRE for spend as a 90% optimized solution that will work for us.
bbrock

Post by bbrock »

Exactly. This was the reason for wanting own CCR for wife -> increase our quarterly limits. I already have 3 CCR (1 CCR, 1 affinity - Cal Berkley, 1 affinity - SGK). So far, easily blow through the 5000/qtr with 2 cards set to online shopping with our Costco spending, and even with the third one varying the 3% category b/w online shopping, and travel, and added to the 2% category for grocery stores, we have hit our 2500 limit on that card as well. Thus, I could have applied for yet another CCR, but I figured about time I get my wife some cards as I was also planning on the PR card (for the TSA benefit; and I figured if she gets that, then I might as well see if I could convert my UCR into a CCR) and applying simultaneously for a CCR for her.
bbrock
engineerbme

Post by engineerbme »

Has anyone been successful in calling in to expedite preferred rewards enrollment? Over 100k has cleared and settled and did check off the box to enroll in the program as a priority or whatever but wanted to know if it's possible to speed up the enrollment. Thanks
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

bbrock wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 2:12 am

Exactly. This was the reason for wanting own CCR for wife -> increase our quarterly limits. I already have 3 CCR (1 CCR, 1 affinity - Cal Berkley, 1 affinity - SGK). So far, easily blow through the 5000/qtr with 2 cards set to online shopping with our Costco spending, and even with the third one varying the 3% category b/w online shopping, and travel, and added to the 2% category for grocery stores, we have hit our 2500 limit on that card as well. Thus, I could have applied for yet another CCR, but I figured about time I get my wife some cards as I was also planning on the PR card (for the TSA benefit; and I figured if she gets that, then I might as well see if I could convert my UCR into a CCR) and applying simultaneously for a CCR for her.
So you currently have 4 BoA CCs?
bbrock

Post by bbrock »

anon_investor wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:35 am

Yes, my 3, DW 1.
bbrock
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

bbrock wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 12:15 pm

Yes, my 3, DW 1.
Any reason you aren't getting a 4th for yourself?
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

engineerbme wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:32 am Has anyone been successful in calling in to expedite preferred rewards enrollment? Over 100k has cleared and settled and did check off the box to enroll in the program as a priority or whatever but wanted to know if it's possible to speed up the enrollment. Thanks
I did. It took about a week after I called in and they got it all squared away. The rep made it sound like it happened on occasion and they knew exactly what to do.
engineerbme

Post by engineerbme »

NYCaviator wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 6:24 pm
engineerbme wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:32 am Has anyone been successful in calling in to expedite preferred rewards enrollment? Over 100k has cleared and settled and did check off the box to enroll in the program as a priority or whatever but wanted to know if it's possible to speed up the enrollment. Thanks
I did. It took about a week after I called in and they got it all squared away. The rep made it sound like it happened on occasion and they knew exactly what to do.
did you call Merrill or BOA?
bbrock

Post by bbrock »

anon_investor wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 12:54 pm

Yes, my 3, DW 1.
Hi anon. No reason. Just getting it for my DW then later I will apply for my own premium rewards and then convert my UCR to a CCR (if possible). At that time, I'd then have a 4th.
bbrock
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

engineerbme wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 1:29 pm
I called BoA. The rep could see that I had > 100k in Merrill and sent a ticket to their back end team for Preferred Rewards. Someone called me a few days later to tell me they were still working on it. A few days after that the PR logo appeared on my BoA account and I got another call back saying that it was all straightened out but sometimes the benefits could take 30 days to hit. In reality it only took a couple days and all of the benefits appeared. I ordered checks for free and the bonus rates started showing up on my credit card.

As much heat as BoA gets on here for terrible customer service, I have found them to be incredibly friendly and helpful (both biz and personal) and they have US based reps that seem to know what they are doing, which if very refreshing. I am a happy customer.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

bbrock wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 2:52 am

Yes, my 3, DW 1.
Hi anon. No reason. Just getting it for my DW then later I will apply for my own premium rewards and then convert my UCR to a CCR (if possible). At that time, I'd then have a 4th.
I already have 4 BoA CCs (PR + 3x CCR). Wonder if they will let me get a 5th? 3x CCR is usually sufficient even after our regular heavy Costco usage. I already have many other non-BoA CCs.
engineerbme

Post by engineerbme »

NYCaviator wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 7:16 am
I called BoA. The rep could see that I had > 100k in Merrill and sent a ticket to their back end team for Preferred Rewards. Someone called me a few days later to tell me they were still working on it. A few days after that the PR logo appeared on my BoA account and I got another call back saying that it was all straightened out but sometimes the benefits could take 30 days to hit. In reality it only took a couple days and all of the benefits appeared. I ordered checks for free and the bonus rates started showing up on my credit card.

As much heat as BoA gets on here for terrible customer service, I have found them to be incredibly friendly and helpful (both biz and personal) and they have US based reps that seem to know what they are doing, which if very refreshing. I am a happy customer.
thanks I did end up calling BoA only to be told they couldn't see my ME accounts and that I had to call ME lol; ended up calling ME and they then had to manually link my BoA profile account to my ME so that BoA could see it or something; so bizarre but hopefully I can be enrolled then
bbrock

Post by bbrock »

anon_investor wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 7:35 am
bbrock wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 2:52 am

Yes, my 3, DW 1.
I already have 4 BoA CCs (PR + 3x CCR). Wonder if they will let me get a 5th? 3x CCR is usually sufficient even after our regular heavy Costco usage. I already have many other non-BoA CCs.
Agreed Anon, now too many cards.

I actually will admit y’all, I can’t joke about anybody forgetting which card to use when. I think I’ve hit the saturation point, and even now I get flustered at the cash register. Yikes! As long as it’s 3% or above, I’m cool; good enough.
bbrock
bople

Post by bople »

bbrock wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 1:53 pm
anon_investor wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 7:35 am I already have 4 BoA CCs (PR + 3x CCR). Wonder if they will let me get a 5th? 3x CCR is usually sufficient even after our regular heavy Costco usage. I already have many other non-BoA CCs.

I actually will admit y’all, I can’t joke about anybody forgetting which card to use when. I think I’ve hit the saturation point, and even now I get flustered at the cash register. Yikes! As long as it’s 3% or above, I’m cool; good enough.
Totally agree, hard to complain about family members using the wrong card when even I catch myself thinking "what am I supposed to use here"? The US Bank Altitude Reserve has made our lives so much simpler, and it removes all "what will it code as" risk:

1. USBAR if you can use Apple Pay (4.5% cash back)
2a. Chase 3x dining/travel if Apple Pay is not supported for dining/travel (4.5% cash back if you have Chase Sapphire Reserve)
2b. BofA Premium Rewards for dining/travel/everything (3.5% cash back if you don't have Chase Sapphire Reserve)
3. BofA Premium Rewards for everything else (2.625% cash back)

IMHO it is too much effort to manage multiple CCRs or the Citi equivalents for the slight spread over 4.5% and remembering which card is at what spend level and when to switch, etc.
bbrock

Post by bbrock »

bople wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 2:26 pm
bbrock wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 1:53 pm
anon_investor wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 7:35 am I already have 4 BoA CCs (PR + 3x CCR). Wonder if they will let me get a 5th? 3x CCR is usually sufficient even after our regular heavy Costco usage. I already have many other non-BoA CCs.

Totally agree, hard to complain about family members using the wrong card when even I catch myself thinking "what am I supposed to use here"? The US Bank Altitude Reserve has made our lives so much simpler, and it removes all "what will it code as" risk:

1. USBAR if you can use Apple Pay (4.5% cash back)
2a. Chase 3x dining/travel if Apple Pay is not supported for dining/travel (4.5% cash back if you have Chase Sapphire Reserve)
2b. BofA Premium Rewards for dining/travel/everything (3.5% cash back if you don't have Chase Sapphire Reserve)
3. BofA Premium Rewards for everything else (2.625% cash back)

IMHO it is too much effort to manage multiple CCRs or the Citi equivalents for the slight spread over 4.5% and remembering which card is at what spend level and when to switch, etc.
:oops: Took the words right out of my mouth... that is what I say... what card now?

I'll look at that USBAR card. Hopefully, low fee and/or can be used like the BofA PR on cheap SWA tix.

I can't swing/justify the Chase S. Reserve. That's a hefty $550 annual.

Citi Costco card good enough at 3% dining/travel. I have the Chase Freedom Flex, so I think I can use the Ultimate Rewards thing to book 5x travel at that site.
bbrock
engineerbme

Post by engineerbme »

engineerbme wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 11:44 am
NYCaviator wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 7:16 am

thanks I did end up calling BoA only to be told they couldn't see my ME accounts and that I had to call ME lol; ended up calling ME and they then had to manually link my BoA profile account to my ME so that BoA could see it or something; so bizarre but hopefully I can be enrolled then
follow up to my own response: got a call back from ME after looking into this; was told have to wait the 3 month average and that they CANNOT expedite anymore because BoA was getting too many requests and couldn't keep up or something; so no luck here
bople

Post by bople »

bbrock wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 2:33 pm
:oops: Took the words right out of my mouth... that is what I say... what card now?

I'll look at that USBAR card. Hopefully, low fee and/or can be used like the BofA PR on cheap SWA tix.

Citi Costco card good enough at 3% dining/travel. I have the Chase Freedom Flex, so I think I can use the Ultimate Rewards thing to book 5x travel at that site.
USBAR is $75 fee if you have organic travel/dining spend but is not a low fee card. With Real-Time Rewards and travel spend, it is trivial to get cash back: buy some ticket/hotel/car rental, get a text "Would you like to redeem XX points for this charge" and you just text back REDEEM and instant statement credit.

CSR is not as great as it once was, but CSP is only $95 fee and would give you 3.75% cash back. Probably not worth it over 3% if you are not doing the Ultimate Rewards thing. We are a United hub, so having transferrable United points is a high value option that can beat 4.5% cash back.
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

engineerbme wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 3:36 pm follow up to my own response: got a call back from ME after looking into this; was told have to wait the 3 month average and that they CANNOT expedite anymore because BoA was getting too many requests and couldn't keep up or something; so no luck here
I recently moved over $200k to Merrill Edge. (Which is most of my taxable account -- I'm not rolling in it!) After less than 30 days. I got the offer for Gold level, because that $200k gave me a three-month average above $20k. (I have a BoA checking account that gave me a discount on a HELOC that typically has only $50 in it. Every two weeks, it gets a $250 deposit to meet the minimum deposit to avoid fees.)

I'm hoping I'll get the Platinum Honors tier at the end of month two.
bbrock

Post by bbrock »

bople wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 4:18 pm

USBAR is $75 fee if you have organic travel/dining spend but is not a low fee card. With Real-Time Rewards and travel spend, it is trivial to get cash back: buy some ticket/hotel/car rental, get a text "Would you like to redeem XX points for this charge" and you just text back REDEEM and instant statement credit.

CSR is not as great as it once was, but CSP is only $95 fee and would give you 3.75% cash back. Probably not worth it over 3% if you are not doing the Ultimate Rewards thing. We are a United hub, so having transferrable United points is a high value option that can beat 4.5% cash back.
Thx bople. But Even with limited travel/dining, it is only $75. But can that be given back as a statement credit with any US Bank incentives?
bbrock
tj

Post by tj »

bbrock wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 6:30 pm

Thx bople. But Even with limited travel/dining, it is only $75. But can that be given back as a statement credit with any US Bank incentives?
You get a bunch of priority pass entries.
bople

Post by bople »

bbrock wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 6:30 pm
The USBAR annual fee is $400, but you get a $325 credit for travel/dining spend. You get the full points for those charges and then see a statement credit for the amount until it reaches a total of $325. It does not use any of your cash back value and is automatic.

There is a way to pay the annual fee with points, but it is not the maximum 1.5 cents/point like travel redemptions.