Shoe question for the frugalistas?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
MrWasabi65

Shoe question for the frugalistas?

Post by MrWasabi65 »

I'm on the fence regarding a well loved pair of sport sandals. They didn't come cheap, cost me over $200 as I recall.

The problem is that the rubber sole (not THE rubber soul, lol) is well worn enough to be somewhat slippery now.

I can go and buy a new pair and they might also last me several years like these have, but I love these well worn pair because
they are broken in and every time I look at them, I think of all the great places they've carried me.

I don't live within 100, maybe even 200 miles, of a cobbler.

Any interim work arounds? how to create some new grooves in them for traction? maybe even some traction tape? not sure
that even works on rubber.

Suggestions appreciated...otherwise, they'll sooner end up in that great waste pile.
retiredjg

Re: Shoe question for the frugalistas?

Post by retiredjg »

Could this be a brand that will let you send the shoes in for repair or new soles? That is no uncommon.
Feldman

Post by Feldman »

If your next best option is to throw them away, might as well swing for the fences:

https://www.instructables.com/Slick-Sho ... Old-Kicks/

Note also the recommendation in the comments to consider using a tire groover tool instead.
invest4

Post by invest4 »

MrWasabi65 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 8:35 am I don't live within 100, maybe even 200 miles, of a cobbler.
Possible that an online service would meet your needs (e.g. will need to send your shoes for a fix via mail)?
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Speaking from long experience here: If the sole doesn’t have a hole, and is just slippery, you can still wear them when it’s not raining. The idea of tossing beloved shoes with no holes or no soles flapping off or no cardboard instep is not my idea of frugal. I guess another option is picking up a pair of sneakers from a thrift store and crazy gluing their tread onto the bottom, but that will look worse that a shiny sole than no one sees anyway.

On the other hand, your feet and gait are critical to your overall health, especially as we age, so maybe just getting a new pair is more frugal than having foot issues later or not being as active or even falling because you wanted to save $200.
Last edited by AnnetteLouisan on Sun Jun 09, 2024 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 9:55 am If the sole doesn’t have a hole, and is just slippery, you can still wear them when it’s not raining. The idea of tossing beloved shoes with no holes or no soles flapping off or no cardboard instep is not my idea of frugal. I guess another option is picking up a pair of sneakers from a thrift store and crazy gluing their sole into the bottom, but that will look worse than a shiny sole than no one sees anyway.
I’ve never considered myself frugal, I just try to buy things I truly need or want. I would jettison the shoes if they no longer fulfill the need shoes provide - keeping your feet supported, safe , protected. If one of those fails - they leave my home.

So my question is are you frugal?
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 9:55 am Speaking from long experience here: If the sole doesn’t have a hole, and is just slippery, you can still wear them when it’s not raining. The idea of tossing beloved shoes with no holes or no soles flapping off or no cardboard instep is not my idea of frugal. I guess another option is picking up a pair of sneakers from a thrift store and crazy gluing their tread onto the bottom, but that will look worse that a shiny sole than no one sees anyway.

On the other hand, your feet and gait are critical to your overall health, especially as we she, so maybe just getting a new pair is more frugal than having foot issues later or not being as active or even falling because you wanted to save $200.
I learned a long time ago not to push too long in shoes I wear regularly for significant miles; my feet will pay the price if I do. Around the house is a different story but the use is short unless I'm working outside. When I buy shoes I never consider the price.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
bombcar

Post by bombcar »

If they still make your sandal, I’d by three pairs and alternate all four changing each day
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Dottie57 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 10:03 am
AnnetteLouisan wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 9:55 am If the sole doesn’t have a hole, and is just slippery, you can still wear them when it’s not raining. The idea of tossing beloved shoes with no holes or no soles flapping off or no cardboard instep is not my idea of frugal. I guess another option is picking up a pair of sneakers from a thrift store and crazy gluing their sole into the bottom, but that will look worse than a shiny sole than no one sees anyway.
I’ve never considered myself frugal, I just try to buy things I truly need or want. I would jettison the shoes if they no longer fulfill the need shoes provide - keeping your feet supported, safe , protected. If one of those fails - they leave my home.

So mu question is are you frugal?
If you are asking me, I buy new sneakers when the tread gets slippery or when they are otherwise dead from overuse. I get them (brand and size I know) for $45-50 on Amazon, delivered. I do this because I exercise a lot and value getting support and not having foot/ankle/leg/knee problems.

When I was not as financially comfortable as I am today, and lighter on my feet with the sprightliness of youth,I kept shoes until all my repair efforts and those of cobblers had been exhausted. I bought insoles, used crazy glue, used cardboard, wore shoes with shiny soles, etc.

I’m mostly not frugal anymore. I’m mindful but I’ve learned to engage in spending when being too frugal will have a health, career or safety effect. I have had friends with foot issues and it’s expensive and hard for them. Which raises an associated issue of when frugality has unexpected costs that make it the wrong choice.
Last edited by AnnetteLouisan on Sun Jun 09, 2024 10:39 am, edited 4 times in total.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

bombcar wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 10:06 am If they still make your sandal, I’d by three pairs and alternate all four changing each day
Interesting. When I stock up on a shoe, I generally stick the extras under the bed and only pull out a new pair when the previous pair ceases to function properly.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 10:08 am If you are asking me, I buy new sneakers when the tread gets slippery or when they are otherwise dead from overuse. U get them for $45-50 on Amazon, delivered. I do this because I exercise a lot and value getting support and not having foot/ankle/leg/knee problems.
Runners, serious walkers and hikers I know tell me that most of the time, the structural support of the shoe bottom (last+insert) will go long before the tread. I forget the number but I have a vague recollection that it was < 1,000 miles.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

Sounds like your shoes are full of wonderful memories. If you have room to store them, how about keeping them around for occasional use in messy projects (e.g., painting, gardening.)
delamer

Post by delamer »

Speaking as someone who took a nasty fall a few weeks before their child’s wedding and was very fortunate not to be in an arm cast for said event, it’s crazy to be walking around in a jerry-rigged pair of footwear.

Especially if you could afford to pay $200 for them initially.

Buy new sandals.
One thing that humbles me deeply is to see that human genius has its limits while human stupidity does not. - Alexandre Dumas, fils
bombcar

Post by bombcar »

sailaway wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 10:10 am Interesting. When I stock up on a shoe, I generally stick the extras under the bed and only pull out a new pair when the previous pair ceases to function properly.
I was more thinking of wear-leveling but especially for shoes it’s good to let them air out after use for a day or so if you can, which rotation would do.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

If you were willing to pay more for a pair of sandals than I have ever paid for a pair of shoes in my entire life, then you can afford to buy a new pair and toss the old ones.
SmallSaver

Post by SmallSaver »

Check with the manufacturer. You can very likely send them in to be resoled.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Bronze them and put them on your fireplace mantel next to the baby shoes that your mother gave you to keep forever.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
ETK517

Post by ETK517 »

Get new ones. Keep the old ones. Break the new ones in around the house/yard, then bring them on a trip to imbue them with new memories. Keep the old ones around and trot them out here and there for old time's sake.
funyun

Post by funyun »

I have a friend who resoles his own shoes when they wear down. He buys supplies on Amazon. It took him a few tries to get a finished product he was happy with, but now that he knows how to do it, he really enjoys extending the life of his shoes in such a cheap way. Personally, I'd either send them to the manufacturer to be resoled, or donate them (if they're in good enough shape) and buy a new pair.
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

MrWasabi65 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 8:35 am Suggestions appreciated...
https://www.cobblersdirect.com/mens-sandal-repair
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next." ~Ursula LeGuin
Topic Author
MrWasabi65

Post by MrWasabi65 »

If they still make your sandal, I’d by three pairs and alternate all four changing each day

That's a neat math trick....buy one pair, it lasts say 2 years, or buy three pairs and all of them last 6 years?

Did I figure that one correctly?
mrc

Post by mrc »

MrWasabi65 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 1:17 pm If they still make your sandal, I’d by three pairs and alternate all four changing each day

That's a neat math trick....buy one pair, it lasts say 2 years, or buy three pairs and all of them last 6 years?

Did I figure that one correctly?
Unless they dry rot at 4 years.
By the time you know enough to choose a good financial adviser, you don't need one. | bogleheads.org is my advisor: The ER is 0.0% and the advice always solid.
Topic Author
MrWasabi65

Post by MrWasabi65 »

About the expensive sandals, there was no correlation between their price and my overall financial status. The reason I titled the thread for frugalistas is because that particular group of folks seem to know a lot of tricks for extending the life of consumer goods. Bless their hearts.

The sandals are a particular brand that caters to people with a particular foot issue that I was born with....so almost all of my footwear comes from a small group of manufacturers, most are based in Germany. Who knew? lol

The only cheapies I wear are for like taking out the trash or running over to the post office. They are American brands made in China. Seems these American brands swap out contractors all the time, so quality is not at all consistent. I marvel at people who don't experience this.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

A little bit of behavioral psychology but what I do is estimate the cost per mile. I figure that $0.50 per mile is a great investment given the enjoyment and health benefits I get from being outside. Perhaps you'll do a little better but I view shoes as practical consumables that improve my life and let me do things I enjoy, not buy it for life items that trigger an emotional attachment. Memories are captured in travel plans, digital photos and journals of the trips I take. A new pair of shoes is a celebration of the miles I've put on the old pair. It means I've accomplished things.
Last edited by stan1 on Sun Jun 09, 2024 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

MrWasabi65 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 1:26 pm About the expensive sandals, there was no correlation between their price and my overall financial status. The reason I titled the thread for frugalistas is because that particular group of folks seem to know a lot of tricks for extending the life of consumer goods. Bless their hearts.

The sandals are a particular brand that caters to people with a particular foot issue that I was born with....so almost all of my footwear comes from a small group of manufacturers, most are based in Germany. Who knew? lol

The only cheapies I wear are for like taking out the trash or running over to the post office. They are American brands made in China. Seems these American brands swap out contractors all the time, so quality is not at all consistent. I marvel at people who don't experience this.
Without a specific condition it can take a while for the cumulative effect of "bad" shoes to catch up with people. Unfortunately, when it does, one is behind the curve. Good luck. As I mentioned, I don't skimp on shoes. For "running" shoes, I always go to a nearby running store because they carry a broad range of brands and styles and the staff are very knowledgeable. I know I probably pay more than buying out of the ether.
PottedPlant

Post by PottedPlant »

I buy Mephisto (made in Portugal or France) for longevity. And this - https://mephistoresole.com
Mashed or Baked Potatoes?
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

jebmke wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 10:13 am
AnnetteLouisan wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 10:08 am If you are asking me, I buy new sneakers when the tread gets slippery or when they are otherwise dead from overuse. U get them for $45-50 on Amazon, delivered. I do this because I exercise a lot and value getting support and not having foot/ankle/leg/knee problems.
Runners, serious walkers and hikers I know tell me that most of the time, the structural support of the shoe bottom (last+insert) will go long before the tread. I forget the number but I have a vague recollection that it was < 1,000 miles.
There's always barefoot running.
SimplyCurious

Post by SimplyCurious »

They don't come much more frugal than this child of the great depression, and I'll gladly wear the "frugalista" label. That said, I protect my precious feet in hope of keeping them functioning for as long as I live. How long have these sandals lasted? 10 years means you spent about $20 a year for these sandals that met your feet's needs. 5 years means you spent about $40 a year. What do you spend that amount of money on per year that is as important to you as healthy feet and walking safely and comfortably? From a value conscious point of view, I'll invest what I must in order to take good care of the old tootsies. To me, being frugal doesn't mean spending the least money, it means getting the best value I can for my buck.
doobiedoo

Post by doobiedoo »

jebmke wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 10:13 am Runners, serious walkers and hikers I know tell me that most of the time, the structural support of the shoe bottom (last+insert) will go long before the tread. I forget the number but I have a vague recollection that it was < 1,000 miles.
Running shoes should be replaced at 300-500 miles.
https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice ... shoes.html
FeralCat

Post by FeralCat »

I marvel at people who don't sweat on their feet. Walking/running/cycling shoes for me last only about 6 months, and then they are too funky from sweat to wear anymore. I don't wear sandals at all because I have to wear socks to absorb the moisture.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

FeralCat wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 2:53 pm I marvel at people who don't sweat on their feet. Walking/running/cycling shoes for me last only about 6 months, and then they are too funky from sweat to wear anymore. I don't wear sandals at all because I have to wear socks to absorb the moisture.
I know when I was working and wore leather dress shoes the recommendation was to have multiple pairs and use wood shoe trees (not plastic) to draw out moisture. I wore Allen-Edmunds dress shoes and always had three pair going and almost never wore a pair two days in a row.

What kind of socks do you wear. Need a good wicking synthetic or even wool.
FeralCat

Post by FeralCat »

jebmke wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 2:57 pm
FeralCat wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 2:53 pm I marvel at people who don't sweat on their feet. Walking/running/cycling shoes for me last only about 6 months, and then they are too funky from sweat to wear anymore. I don't wear sandals at all because I have to wear socks to absorb the moisture.
I know when I was working and wore leather dress shoes the recommendation was to have multiple pairs and use wood shoe trees (not plastic) to draw out moisture. I wore Allen-Edmunds dress shoes and always had three pair going and almost never wore a pair two days in a row.

What kind of socks do you wear. Need a good wicking synthetic or even wool.
I wear wool socks (Smartwools usually). I try to get out and walk around a bit while I am at work. I am also more of an endurance athlete (long distances), so the sweat comes with this. I think 10 years is long enough for a sandal.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Agree; I keep mine about 2-3 years depending on usage. "Sneakers" generally last about a year.
heyyou

Post by heyyou »

Don't get rid of your favorite car when it only needs new tires.

For perspective, this sandal repair cost will not affect your portfolio longevity, nor your retirement date. Get your not inexpensive, favorite sandals resoled since they very likely have good materials above whatever portion is worn out.

Being frugal matters, but sometimes there is a lower limit on some frugality, where unwise cheapness begins. Our footwear and our nutrition have lower limits where comfort and quality are more important than just finding the lowest cost items.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I removed an off-topic post. As a reminder, see: General Etiquette
At all times we must conduct ourselves in a respectful manner to other posters. Attacks on individuals, insults, name calling, trolling, baiting or other attempts to sow dissension are not acceptable.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

SimplyCurious wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 2:34 pm They don't come much more frugal than this child of the great depression, and I'll gladly wear the "frugalista" label. That said, I protect my precious feet in hope of keeping them functioning for as long as I live. How long have these sandals lasted? 10 years means you spent about $20 a year for these sandals that met your feet's needs. 5 years means you spent about $40 a year. What do you spend that amount of money on per year that is as important to you as healthy feet and walking safely and comfortably? From a value conscious point of view, I'll invest what I must in order to take good care of the old tootsies. To me, being frugal doesn't mean spending the least money, it means getting the best value I can for my buck.
This. I mainly wear new balance walking shoes and buy 2 at a time. Switch between them to let them air out. I rarely go out to a place where these shoes are unacceptable.

My feet feel good and supported which is What is needed.