Stay in Downtown LA or?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
KFBR392

Re: Stay in Downtown LA or?

Post by KFBR392 »

hoops777 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 7:27 pm Ok.
Probably not what most here would recommend 😊 but we decided on Glendale.
Reason?
Acceptable distance from a lot of places to go and a nice area to walk around next to the hotel with a lot of shopping and restaurants.
Probably makes no sense to a lot of you but knowing my wife I think it is best for us.
My wife does not enjoy hanging out at the beach beyond going for a walk.
I really appreciate all the helpful suggestions and welcome anymore you have being based in Glendale.
Lived in Glendale for 10 years. It is a slightly puzzling place to choose as a home base but that Residence Inn is above average. It's relatively new so it's not run down yet. My mom stays there when she visits and we sometimes use Bonvoy points to have a weekend pool getaway with our son.

The outdoor mall The Americana is close and very nice, albeit in a phony Disneyland kind of way. Dancing fountain, a trolly you can ride, and plenty of upscale shopping.
The indoor mall the Galleria is across from that and is less pleasant IMHO but was recently remodeled and has a Din Tai Fung restaurant, which is essential. Best Chinese food outside of the San Gabriel Valley. Get the soup dumplings.
Porto's Bakery is close as well which many people love - I like it depending on how long the line is.
Carousel Restaurant has excellent middle eastern food and has live music and dancing on Fri/Sat.

If you're looking to get outdoors Descanso Gardens, The LA Arboretum, and the Huntington Botanical Gardens are all fairly close.

Feel free to PM if you have specific questions as we lived several blocks from that Residence Inn for 6 years and know the area very well.
Topic Author
hoops777

Post by hoops777 »

bombcar wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 7:31 pm Glendale is nice if a bit sleepy in areas.

Maybe you can fly into BUR instead of LAX.
Just did😊
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.
cipriano

Post by cipriano »

If you're looking for restaurants, google "eater la [neighborhood]" for good recommendations.The only place I wouldn't recommend in Glendale is Raffi's, though some people love it. I have weird cravings for Zhengyalov Hatz, which is around the corner from you, but it's not everyone's cup of tea. (Luckily, its so cheap it won't matter if you spend a few bucks there. But treat it as more of a snack than a meal.) Glendale list:
https://la.eater.com/maps/best-glendale ... estaurants

If you haven't already been, the view from the Griffith Observatory is nice on a clear day, and tends to not be crowded if you go on a weekday. If it's smoggy or cloudy, you may not see the San Gabriel Mountains, which makes it a little less spectacular.

Pasadena is a crowd pleaser of a neighborhood, especially if you're older. Colorado Ave. is basically a big shopping mall, but nicer than less manufactured-looking than a place like the Americana in Glendale (which is good as far as malls go). Agnes is a newish-nice restaurant with an impressive interior.

The Huntington is a must see. I strongly recommend unless you have severe mobility issues, and even then they have all kinds of accessibility features. It's more expensive than Descanso Gardens, but its nicer and has good art galleries.

The Norton Simon Museum in Pasadena is surprisingly great for a small museum. As one of my colleagues put it, "It has no business being as good as it is." They have Picassos, Van Goghs, Cezannes, Monets, etc.

Have a nice trip!
jaMichael

Post by jaMichael »

Dining
+1 Din Tai Fung in Glendale
Agnes in Pasadena is great
Uovo in Pasadena also great, but no reservations taken

Things to Do
+1 on Griffith Observatory and Norton Simon Museum (underrated)
Descanso Gardens and Huntington Gardens are both nice experiences
Lots of nice hiking in the area
Check out the Hollywood Bowl calendar
Topic Author
hoops777

Post by hoops777 »

Thanks for the recommendations!
Jeepergeo

Post by Jeepergeo »

Skip LA altogether and enjoy San Diego. Mission Bay is nice as are most of the surrounding commumities. The beaches are beautiful as is all the attractions in Balboa Park.

Palm Springs is hot this time of year, but hotel deals are amazing and there is s ton to do and the area is pretty safe.

That's about as close to LA as I'd want to be for a vacation.
bombcar

Post by bombcar »

If you like chiliburger fast food you can do much much worse than Tommy’s - there’s one in Burbank. Better than in-n-out in my opinion.
Topic Author
hoops777

Post by hoops777 »

Jeepergeo wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 1:16 pm Skip LA altogether and enjoy San Diego. Mission Bay is nice as are most of the surrounding commumities. The beaches are beautiful as is all the attractions in Balboa Park.

Palm Springs is hot this time of year, but hotel deals are amazing and there is s ton to do and the area is pretty safe.

That's about as close to LA as I'd want to be for a vacation.
We have been to San Diego a few times. She just wants to see more of LA.
Others have posted this as well.
I love San Diego but this is what she requested so LA it is.😊
JimmyJoeMeeker

Post by JimmyJoeMeeker »

Reason?
Acceptable distance from a lot of places to go and a nice area to walk around next to the hotel with a lot of shopping and restaurants.
Probably makes no sense to a lot of you but knowing my wife I think it is best for us.
I really appreciate all the helpful suggestions and welcome anymore you have being based in Glendale.

We also switched airports to Burbank
Glendale will be very easy for driving places (central location) and is generally safe. I think you made a good choice. (I also like the location near Manhattan Beach too) Enjoy your visit.
Topic Author
hoops777

Post by hoops777 »

JimmyJoeMeeker wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 9:48 pm
Reason?

Glendale will be very easy for driving places (central location) and is generally safe. I think you made a good choice. (I also like the location near Manhattan Beach too) Enjoy your visit.
Any general Uber tips.
We have never used Uber and will be trying it out on this trip.
safari

Post by safari »

hoops777 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 10:04 am
Reason?

Any general Uber tips.
Always compare the prices between Uber and Lyft before ordering a ride. They can be drastically different. You should have both apps installed on your phone.
Topic Author
hoops777

Post by hoops777 »

safari wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 10:08 am
hoops777 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 10:04 am
Reason?

Any general Uber tips.
Always compare the prices between Uber and Lyft before ordering a ride. They can be drastically different. You should have both apps installed on your phone.
Thanks.
VanGar+Goyle

Post by VanGar+Goyle »

hoops777 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 8:11 pm We are going to LA for 5 days next week and like to stay at Marriott Residence Inns.
This is the summer concert season in LA, but I am not sure if your trip would include Grand Performances downtown,
or if you would enjoy the Grammy Museum, The Broad, or MOCA. The monthly art walk downtown seems to still be cancelled.
There is still June Gloom, so it should not get too hot this week, even in beautiful downtown Burbank ;)
Goodenuff

Post by Goodenuff »

The weather looks to be in the 70’s so that is a positive for your trip.
Topic Author
hoops777

Post by hoops777 »

Friday evening here.
Last day tomorrow.
Huntington gardens great.
Porto’s Bakery great.
We ate at Raffi’s and was a bit disappointed. They must put enough rice on the plate for 4 people. I wouldn’t eat there again.
Warner Bros studio tour was fun.
DTLA was pretty good. We Ubered to Little Tokyo which was ok and walked to the Grand Central Market which was good but nothing special.
Walked up the stairs to where the Broad and Disney Center is and walked to the cathedral.
The Broad was fun.
Tomorrow it looks like Santa Monica, Venice and probably Marina Del Rey.
Out of ideas 😊
Thanks again for all the help.
Tirebiter

Post by Tirebiter »

In Santa Monica, the Penthouse Restaurant at the Huntley Hotel offers some nice views.

https://www.penthouserestaurant.com/
Oakdale19

Post by Oakdale19 »

A mix of Santa Monica, Venice, and Marina Del Rey will be plenty to keep you busy. In Venice, Abbott Kinney is nice if you want higher end shopping. I enjoy Gjusta (casual eatery) in that area.

If you haven't visited, UCLA's campus is a beautiful campus to just walk around and explore. The Hammer Museum is around the corner (free and interesting). If you explore Westwood and get hungry, Tacos 1986 is a solid, casual option. There's an inn n out there too if you don't have any where you live.

North of Santa Monica the Getty Villa is nice but may not have tickets available.