Recommendation for a hotel near LAX?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
hmw

Recommendation for a hotel near LAX?

Post by hmw »

We will be arriving at LAX at 9pm in June from an overseas trip. We have another flight to catch to get home at 7:40am the next day. I don't think we will be getting much sleep.

Any hotel recommendations near LAX?

Budget: Would like to spend under $300.

Thanks
rockstar

Re: Recommendation for a hotel near LAX?

Post by rockstar »

My go to is the Marriott LAX. The shuttle service back and forth to the airport is really good.
tj

Post by tj »

Four Points LAX worked for me.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

Check the hours of the shuttles. They often aren't appropriate for late night or early morning flights, unfortunately.

With only about 8 hours to not be in the airport, I would also make sure you have a good last minute cancellation policy in case your arriving flight is delayed.
Doctor Rhythm

Post by Doctor Rhythm »

Happened to be searching on Kayak a moment ago for another trip so I entered an arbitrary weeknight in mid-June for you. Found 22 places less than 1 mile from LAX that have a shuttle -- all are 3- or 4-star properties. Prices $140-220. Take your pick between Sheraton, Marriott, Westin, various tiers of Hyatt, etc.

You'll be there for maybe 8 hours max, so personally wouldn't care that much and wouldn't pay for luxury.
Dornhoefer

Post by Dornhoefer »

Hyatt Regency has worked well for us. Close to the airport and has a shuttle.
raisinsaregrapes

Post by raisinsaregrapes »

I like Hyatt Regency. LAX one is so close you can walk (follow the airline crews). I haven't stayed at that one, but they tend to have a decent hotel restaurant.
Dornhoefer

Post by Dornhoefer »

One thing with the Hyatt Regency: its shuttle to the airport picks up passengers first from a parking lot about 200 feet from the hotel pickup location. Sometimes it fills up with parking lot people and bypasses the hotel. Can slow you down several minutes. Might be worth walking the 200 feet or so to the lot and waiting with those people.
Lookingforanswers

Post by Lookingforanswers »

I'd vote for the Sheraton Plaza Hotel, where John deLorean was arrested for (allegedly) trafficking cocaine in 1982. It was then known as the Sheraton La Reina. He was in Room 501 when the deal went down. Right on Century Blvd., close to the airport entrance.
bd7

Post by bd7 »

hmw wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 9:55 pm Any hotel recommendations near LAX?
Not the Hilton, IMO. What airline is your departing flight on?
daleddm

Post by daleddm »

Walk to the Hyatt ... very easy, you will beat the shuttle.
MGBMartin

Post by MGBMartin »

Lookingforanswers wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 11:23 pm I'd vote for the Sheraton Plaza Hotel, where John deLorean was arrested for (allegedly) trafficking cocaine in 1982. It was then known as the Sheraton La Reina. He was in Room 501 when the deal went down. Right on Century Blvd., close to the airport entrance.
I stayed at the Plaza La Reina back in the 80s on my way back from the South Pacific.
I had no idea about the DeLorean connection.
I remember looking out the window in the morning and not being able to see much, I guess it was smog back then.
Bad spellers of the world untie | Autocorrect is my worst enema
Topic Author
hmw

Post by hmw »

I ended up booking Hyatt Regency. Cost a little less than $200 including taxes and fees.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

hmw wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 9:55 pm We will be arriving at LAX at 9pm in June from an overseas trip. We have another flight to catch to get home at 7:40am the next day. I don't think we will be getting much sleep.

Thanks
No hotel recommend, but we had a similar schedule March 30/31 of this year. Unplanned diversion to LAX because of a passenger disturbance on a flight. Arrived LAX around 10 PM, took shuttle to a brand name airport hotel, with little problem, maybe 15 minutes max, terminal to hotel. Next morning shuttle back to terminal 7 for 10 AM flight took almost an hour because of bumper to bumper traffic in the airport, then getting through security, etc. Leave yourself lots of time.
Topic Author
hmw

Post by hmw »

heartwood wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 12:22 pm
hmw wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 9:55 pm We will be arriving at LAX at 9pm in June from an overseas trip. We have another flight to catch to get home at 7:40am the next day. I don't think we will be getting much sleep.

Thanks
No hotel recommend, but we had a similar schedule March 30/31 of this year. Unplanned diversion to LAX because of a passenger disturbance on a flight. Arrived LAX around 10 PM, took shuttle to a brand name airport hotel, with little problem, maybe 15 minutes max, terminal to hotel. Next morning shuttle back to terminal 7 for 10 AM flight took almost an hour because of bumper to bumper traffic in the airport, then getting through security, etc. Leave yourself lots of time.
Good to know. My am flight leaving LAX is with Southwest at Terminal 1. I think it is walkable from the hotel. It is a 5 to 10 min walk according to Gooogle map.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Stayed at the Hyatt at LAX on several occasions. Worked for us.
bd7

Post by bd7 »

hmw wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 2:26 pm Good to know. My am flight leaving LAX is with Southwest at Terminal 1. I think it is walkable from the hotel. It is a 5 to 10 min walk according to Gooogle map.
Yes, Hyatt to SW Terminal 1 is easily walkable if you are mobile and don't have excessive luggage. However, be warned that the SW baggage drop is a nightmare early in the morning, even with Clear/TSA PreCheck we've cut it close several times. The first time I came within 30 seconds of missing my flight entirely and my bag didn't make it on the plane. Give yourself 90 minutes minimum.
JimmyJoeMeeker

Post by JimmyJoeMeeker »

hmw wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 2:26 pm
heartwood wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 12:22 pm

Thanks
Good to know. My am flight leaving LAX is with Southwest at Terminal 1. I think it is walkable from the hotel. It is a 5 to 10 min walk according to Gooogle map.
Very easy walk from Hyatt to Terminal One (or Terminal 7 United) Have done it may times. Odd thing: they won't let you bring a luggage cart from airport into hotel, which makes rolling with lots of bags less easy.
epicureme

Post by epicureme »

La Quinta Inn & Suites, Prairie Ave & Imperial.

IF you have time in the AM to get breakfast, from there you can find a number of authentic joints a mile or so up Prairie in the city of Inglewood.
"Do nothing, leave nothing undone" - Lao Tzu
Topic Author
hmw

Post by hmw »

We just returned from our stay at Hyatt Regency LAX as recommended by some BHs here. It was a nice hotel with newly renovated rooms. We walked to Terminal 1 (Southwest airlines) in the am and it took only 7 minutes. Worked out well.