Dubrovnik, Croatia Suggestions

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Rocinante Rider

Dubrovnik, Croatia Suggestions

Post by Rocinante Rider »

Does anyone have suggestions regarding 6 days in Dubrovnik at end of June – early July. This will be the first visit to Croatia for DW and me. Hotel Kompas in Lapad area of Dubrovnik will be our base. We are early 70s, relatively fit and healthy. Tentative one-day itineraries at this point includes:

1. Old Town and City Walls for at least one day
2. Dubrovnik cable car to top of Mount Srd, perhaps combined with more time in Old Town
3. Ferry to Lokrum island
4. Cavtat by bus or taxi one way and ferry the other way
5. Private car with driver (e.g., “Dubrovnik Day Tours”) for day trip to Trebinje and Tuli area

I’d appreciate feedback and suggestions about anything, including additions or deletions to the tentative itinerary, museums or cultural sites, favorite restaurants, best way to get around (e.g., Uber, bus, taxi), etc.
stan1

Re: Dubrovnik, Croatia Suggestions

Post by stan1 »

Day trip to Kotor, Montenegro or Mostar, Bosnia-Herzegovina, 2-3 hours each way so a little long.

Kotor is another ancient city and at this point is less commercialized than Dubrovnik. The drive along the coast and Bay of Kotor would be really nice. I have not been to Mostar personally.
Topic Author
Rocinante Rider

Thank you stan1. Those look like great options.
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

stan1 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 12:16 pm Day trip to Kotor, Montenegro or Mostar, Bosnia-Herzegovina, 2-3 hours each way so a little long.

Kotor is another ancient city and at this point is less commercialized than Dubrovnik. The drive along the coast and Bay of Kotor would be really nice. I have not been to Mostar personally.
Absolutely recommend a trip to Montenegro. A group of us - 20 from our dorm (almost four decades ago) - visited Croatia a couple of years back. We did a day trip (hired a minibus) to Kotor and Budva. That was fun though it was overcast and we got rained on a bit.

A fun things was a 30 minute hike up Mount Lovchen (might be too strenuous for 70 year old, so take this with a pinch of salt). The height adds up quickly but it gives an awesome sight of the little harbour (which included a big boat while we were there).

Dubrovnik itself I don't recall doing much except the wall walk that you mentioned, OP. Some folks enjoyed it more than me - I haven't watched Game of Thrones, so it was not a big deal for me. That said, the sea and the city were awesome to look at from the fort.
PottedPlant

Another time

Post by PottedPlant »

Why would you go in June with a zillion other tourists instead of mid-September?
Mashed or Baked Potatoes?
beardsicles

Re: Another time

Post by beardsicles »

PottedPlant wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:22 am Why would you go in June with a zillion other tourists instead of mid-September?
Dubrovnik is slammed year-round at this point and has been for about a decade. It was barely tolerable at the beginning of May quite a while ago.

Highly recommend Bosnia. If you can swing a two-day trip to Sarajevo, it's incredible. Mostar is a good overnight. Kotor can be great, but it just depends on whether cruise ships are due that day or not, and the border can get jammed up.
an_asker

Re: Another time

Post by an_asker »

beardsicles wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:30 am [...]
... the border can get jammed up.
Wanted to respond to this one point. There are two (at least) crossings into Montenegro out of Dubrovnik. Our minibus driver took us to the one where buses go through. After waiting immobile behind four buses for like 15 minutes, our guide took a good decision to have us retrace our steps a bit and take detour to another checkpoint where there was no line and the 20 of us got processed post haste.

Of course, we had gone in late September (and it was still quite hot out there), so May might be extra crowded like you guys said.

OP: This is way off-topic from your itinerary but the train from Podgorica to Bar (Montenegro) is supposed to be very scenic. Of course, we didn't have time - and also, it does not run all the way through September.
LISD

Post by LISD »

Just returned from there last week:

I found the Red Museum interesting. It's small, can go thru it in 1-1.5 hrs. Near the ferry port.

Go into old Dubrovnik when there are no / the least number of cruise ships in port (find out ahead of time). That's what we did and didn't find it overcrowded. Another strategy: get there around dinner time when all the cruisers go back to the ship to eat.

Mostar was a looong day trip - but it was interesting with good/unique food.

Kotor area was interesting too, and not as far (time wise).

The cable car is overpriced. You can get a taxi to the top much cheaper, and have the taxi drop you off at the museum.

If I go back again (I'm not) I would spend time along the Croatian coast line. Maybe a resort along the coast. Maybe more time on the islands (we went to the island of Korcula: small but fun).

Take medications because the odds you'll catch a bug are high. Out of 5 of us, 4 came down with the flu. A friend of mine and his wife came back from Paris a few days ago , one of them is now covid positive. Lots of bugs out there.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

LISD wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 10:11 am Maybe more time on the islands (we went to the island of Korcula: small but fun).
Fortunately Korcula is relatively hard to get to (ferry no road connection or commercial airport) and does not accept large cruise ships or have ferries from Italy going there directly. Definitely a great place to spend a little time before someone figures out how to commercialize it.
Topic Author
Rocinante Rider

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. I truly appreciate everyone's time and input.

Adding a day trip to Kotor sounds like a super idea.
LISD wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 10:11 am Take medications because the odds you'll catch a bug are high. Out of 5 of us, 4 came down with the flu. A friend of mine and his wife came back from Paris a few days ago , one of them is now covid positive. Lots of bugs out there.
Noted. BIL and SIL just returned from Europe and both are now bedridden with Covid. We're up-to-date on all immunizations and still mask as much as possible in airports, on planes, etc., but no protection is 100%.
PottedPlant wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:22 am Why would you go in June with a zillion other tourists instead of mid-September?
Traveling off-season makes sense, especially for retirees, but the dates were determined by a 3 day family wedding celebration taking place on Santorini island. After the wedding, my wife and I will spend two days on Folegandros, a much quieter Greek isle, overnight in Piraeus, and then fly to Dubrovnik. We thought using Dubrovnik as home base would be less hectic than changing locales every couple of days. I'm hoping that day trips to Lokrum Island, Cavtat, the surrounding hill towns (Trebinje, etc.), and now Kotor will give some respite from the crowded city. If we arrange private car with driver from a company such as Dubrovnik Day Tours, with pick-up and drop-off at our hotel, it should make the bigger day trips more fun and less hassle.

I've noted all the other suggestions too. Thanks again everyone.
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

Rocinante Rider wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 11:22 am Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. I truly appreciate everyone's time and input.

Adding a day trip to Kotor sounds like a super idea.
LISD wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 10:11 am Take medications because the odds you'll catch a bug are high. Out of 5 of us, 4 came down with the flu. A friend of mine and his wife came back from Paris a few days ago , one of them is now covid positive. Lots of bugs out there.
Noted. BIL and SIL just returned from Europe and both are now bedridden with Covid. We're up-to-date on all immunizations and still mask as much as possible in airports, on planes, etc., but no protection is 100%.
Traveling off-season makes sense, especially for retirees, but the dates were determined by a 3 day family wedding celebration taking place on Santorini island. After the wedding, my wife and I will spend two days on Folegandros, a much quieter Greek isle, overnight in Piraeus, and then fly to Dubrovnik. We thought using Dubrovnik as home base would be less hectic than changing locales every couple of days. I'm hoping that day trips to Lokrum Island, Cavtat, the surrounding hill towns (Trebinje, etc.), and now Kotor will give some respite from the crowded city. If we arrange private car with driver from a company such as Dubrovnik Day Tours, with pick-up and drop-off at our hotel, it should make the bigger day trips more fun and less hassle.

I've noted all the other suggestions too. Thanks again everyone.
Our group had split time between Split and Dubrovnik. There are convenient bus services between the cities - or you can take ferries as well (we didn't). From Split, we caught the ferry to the island of Hvar where we stayed in Airbnbs for a couple of nights. Hvar is great, and there are small boat trips to some really lovely coves. A few of us took a canoes for a few hours in Hvar.

Again, we were there end of tourist season, so for your trip time, the crowds might be a bit too much.

Covid is definitely going around. I treat it as another nuisance bug. But the prime difference between it and common cold/flu is that it is highly contagious (and of course, a menace for those vulnerable to it). I returned from India recently with it and shared it lovingly with not just my wife and daughter, but also sister and brother-in-law who were visiting for son's graduation! :oops:

PS: needless to say, I hadn't known that I had Covid. I stopped testing over a year ago.
life_force_prana

Post by life_force_prana »

Visited Dubrovnik Mar 2024. Loved it. Below were some highlights and feedback from our experience:

1) Staying inside Old Walls is a different experience, we did it finding a place on Airbnb (PM if you want to know more), which was great, and made everything so much more authentic. Families still live in Old Town and feel in evenings and weekends is more local than touristy.

2) Mostar is Bosnia is a different and unique experience, more Ottoman/Muslim influence than western-european feel Dubrovnik. Also very picturesque, felt like we were looking at one of those story book pictures or one of the rotating sceneries Micrsoft might have on. We rented car from Dub and drove, was easy. Also stopped by an old village on way that was incredible.

3) Lokrum island was fantastic day trip.

4) Spent 2 full days in Zagreb due to travel connection. Not that great, similar to any large euro city, again we are not city vacationers, so take that with caveat.
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

life_force_prana wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 4:54 pm [...]
4) Spent 2 full days in Zagreb due to travel connection. Not that great, similar to any large euro city, again we are not city vacationers, so take that with caveat.
With what you said about not being city vacationers, why didn't you go visit Plitvice (we did - from Split)?
life_force_prana

Post by life_force_prana »

an_asker wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 7:11 pm
life_force_prana wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 4:54 pm [...]
With what you said about not being city vacationers, why didn't you go visit Plitvice (we did - from Split)?
Yes that would have been worthwhile however traveling with kids and long journey ahead decided to stay put. We also did not visit Split, flew from Dub to Zagreb so may have been less ideal. Anyways if there is a next time...
Andymoler58

Post by Andymoler58 »

I did the water caves and the sunset kayak ride around ddubrovnik and that was fun

There’s some good restaurants in old town , it is very hot there though , Mostar is cool too
Topic Author
Rocinante Rider

life_force_prana wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 4:54 pm Visited Dubrovnik Mar 2024. Loved it. Below were some highlights and feedback from our experience:

1) Staying inside Old Walls is a different experience, we did it finding a place on Airbnb (PM if you want to know more), which was great, and made everything so much more authentic. Families still live in Old Town and feel in evenings and weekends is more local than touristy.

2) Mostar is Bosnia is a different and unique experience, more Ottoman/Muslim influence than western-european feel Dubrovnik. Also very picturesque, felt like we were looking at one of those story book pictures or one of the rotating sceneries Micrsoft might have on. We rented car from Dub and drove, was easy. Also stopped by an old village on way that was incredible.

3) Lokrum island was fantastic day trip.

Thanks so much. I appreciate your feedback about Lokrum island, which looks like a great and relaxing day trip. We're all set on accommodations.
Topic Author
Rocinante Rider

Andymoler58 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 5:11 pm I did the water caves and the sunset kayak ride around ddubrovnik and that was fun

There’s some good restaurants in old town , it is very hot there though , Mostar is cool too
Kayaking in Dubrovnik, what a great idea! Definitely going to look into that. Maybe we can at least rent a kayak if we don't have time or energy for a longer excursion. We'll be as prepared as we can for the heat in Greece and Croatia. Thanks.
tfunk

Post by tfunk »

Make sure to buy the Dubrovnik Pass online before you go. It includes several sights in additional to walking the wall. Buying the ticket for the wall once you are onsite will cost the same as the Dubrovnik Pass in advance.
Topic Author
Rocinante Rider

tfunk wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 6:35 pm Make sure to buy the Dubrovnik Pass online before you go. It includes several sights in additional to walking the wall. Buying the ticket for the wall once you are onsite will cost the same as the Dubrovnik Pass in advance.
Thanks! I didn't know about the pass, but will look into it and purchase on-line. Much appreciated.
tfunk

Post by tfunk »

Rocinante Rider wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 6:47 pm
tfunk wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 6:35 pm Make sure to buy the Dubrovnik Pass online before you go. It includes several sights in additional to walking the wall. Buying the ticket for the wall once you are onsite will cost the same as the Dubrovnik Pass in advance.
Thanks! I didn't know about the pass, but will look into it and purchase on-line. Much appreciated.
Forgot to mention, it also includes a free bus pass for the amount of time you buy ie 1 day, 3 day, or 7 day. We bought one on our trip this past October.

https://www.dubrovnikpass.com/
Topic Author
Rocinante Rider

tfunk wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 6:58 pm Forgot to mention, it also includes a free bus pass for the amount of time you buy ie 1 day, 3 day, or 7 day. We bought one on our trip this past October.

https://www.dubrovnikpass.com/
Even better. Really appreciate this suggestion, and the link.
Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper »

Thanks, helpful ideas for our fall Split-Dubrovnik trip by way of the Dalmatian Islands.