Is Speed Queen still the "King" of washing machines?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Broken Man 1999

Re: Is Speed Queen still the "King" of washing machines?

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Munir wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:16 pmLG LG, LG.
I have to agree.

Consumer Reports have various LG washers clustered at the top with top scores of 87, Speed Queen top score of 84. LG dryers top list at 89, Speed Queen 74.

To be honest, I only looked at front load washers and dryers. No idea about top loaders ratings.

As it turns out, we are waiting to have a new laundry set delivered today, purchased from Costco. LG DLEX4080B dryer (7.4 cu ft.) and LG WM4080HBA washer(4.5 cu ft.). $2,037.46 delivered and set up, removal of old. Of course the washer and dryer set had to include pedestals like the old pair.

The new set replaces a 16 year+ LG pair. The washer was slowly going, and finally went this past Saturday. The dryer is still working, but I am being proactive in replacing it, also. My timing was near perfect!

DW does laundry 6 days a week, as I have bed and bath linens changed every day. Our laundry equipment does get lots of use.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

Our Samsung washer bit the dust finally a couple of weeks ago and we bought a Speed Queen TC5. The Samsung washer lasted 10 years but had multiple service calls, paid and free, during that time. We now have a matching Speed Queen set as our Samsung dryer died after 6 years last fall. I am just tired of these appliances that only last 10 years or less, it just seems so wasteful.
BIGal

Post by BIGal »

We purchased our SpeedQueen WD about two years ago, replacing the Maytags we had for 20+ years. Since Maytag is now owned by Whirlpool and no longer manufactured in Iowa, we went with SQ and DW has never been happier. Yes, they are a bit on the high side for cost, however, they have been exceptional. I would suggest that you at least take a look at the SpeedQueen.
hand

Post by hand »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 12:12 pm
Consumer Reports have various LG washers clustered at the top with top scores of 87, Speed Queen top score of 84. LG dryers top list at 89, Speed Queen 74.
Be careful with how you interpret Consumer Reports Scoring - while their methodology is reasonable, it does not align with my real world usage (and I suspect with the usage of many others).

https://data.consumerreports.org/wp-con ... e-2021.pdf

Specifically, Consumer Reports uses the standard cycle during its test:

"most of our performance and data gathering tests are performed using the longest cycle time on the “normal”, “regular” or similar cotton-based cycle. These tests are normally performed using an 8-lb. AHAM load for full size clothes washers or a 6-lb. AHAM load for a compact clothes washer."

And that standard cycle is used to measure cleaning performance vs. specific stains:

"Various swatches are placed in the clothing load and are used to determine the washing machine’s ability to remove soil and stains. These swatches consist of square cotton test fabric with different types of standard staining including blood, chocolate and wine among other stains"

With a shorter regular cycle for Speed Queen <30 mins (source SQ FAQ https://speedqueen.com/faq/#:~:text=Typ ... 0selected.) vs. an average washer cycle time of >60 minutes! (source google) it doesn't surprise me that max cleaning ability and therefore CR score in these tests is lower.

Personally, 95% of my clothes are not covered in blood, chocolate or wine, and I am more than capable of selecting an extended run option if needed. I suspect most home laundry users are as well.

I value normally soiled clothes properly cleaned, run time that is no longer than required, and appliance durability / repairability / long design life / quality / cost per wash.

If CR was in fact measuring for these qualities (or even normalized for cycle time), I suspect the scores would be different.

Honestly not a laundry fanatic, just want to see a well designed, high quality product considered fairly.
Jeepergeo

Post by Jeepergeo »

Speed Queen? I'd tire quickly having to have a bag of quarters around just to wash a load of towels.
anoop

Post by anoop »

hand wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 1:42 pm And that standard cycle is used to measure cleaning performance vs. specific stains:

"Various swatches are placed in the clothing load and are used to determine the washing machine’s ability to remove soil and stains. These swatches consist of square cotton test fabric with different types of standard staining including blood, chocolate and wine among other stains"
I wonder where they got the blood. :)
michaelingp

Post by michaelingp »

Taylor Larimore wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:18 pm Bendix wrote:
I do have a lot of reservations against what CR recommends nowadays.
Bendix:

I have used Consumer Reports for many years and we have found their recommendations to be as reliable as any.
Agreed. And if you are concerned about reliability and longevity, which it seems most BH's who post in this thread are, then Consumer Reports is pretty much the only game in town with any science behind their reporting. Each year I faithfully fill out their survey on what appliances and cars I own, and how many repairs they have had and how much maintenance, etc.. While you may nitpick their methodology I don't think anybody else can say anything about reliability, they just don't have the data.
anoop

Post by anoop »

michaelingp wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 4:04 pm
Taylor Larimore wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:18 pm Bendix wrote:
I do have a lot of reservations against what CR recommends nowadays.
Bendix:

I have used Consumer Reports for many years and we have found their recommendations to be as reliable as any.
Agreed. And if you are concerned about reliability and longevity, which it seems most BH's who post in this thread are, then Consumer Reports is pretty much the only game in town with any science behind their reporting. Each year I faithfully fill out their survey on what appliances and cars I own, and how many repairs they have had and how much maintenance, etc.. While you may nitpick their methodology I don't think anybody else can say anything about reliability, they just don't have the data.
The best data on reliability would probably be from folks like Yale Appliance that not only sell the units and but also service them.
https://blog.yaleappliance.com/most-rel ... ad-washers

For longevity, I'm not sure where to get the best data. CR, e.g., doesn't care about appliances or cars that are more than a certain number of years old. Maybe they gather data about the previous appliance when someone is filling out a survey for a new one.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

Jeepergeo wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 3:49 pm Speed Queen? I'd tire quickly having to have a bag of quarters around just to wash a load of towels.
When you buy a Speed Queen they give you the key to the coin box so you can just open it up and keep using the same quarters over and over.
canderson

Post by canderson »

Ben the Appliance Guy on YouTube to me is the gold standard reviewer. He swears by LG just as much as Speed Queen and they’re quieter and use less water.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

canderson wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 7:14 pm Ben the Appliance Guy on YouTube to me is the gold standard reviewer. He swears by LG just as much as Speed Queen and they’re quieter and use less water.
LG washer is also about half the price of Speed Queen, didn't really check out Speed Queen dryers. I stuck with LG and Costco.

Our new set was delivered yesterday within the two-hour window given by Costco Logistics. New hoses and cords provided, plus a two year warrantee instead of one year.

DW believes the washer isn't perfectly level, so the installation crew will return Saturday to adjust it perfectly, if it is found to be off.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain