Swimming in CC Debt - Unemployed come July

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
plumtart_09

Re: Swimming in CC Debt - Unemployed come July

Post by plumtart_09 »

ponzu wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 6:37 am
plumtart_09 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:25 pm So I am in a currently failing industry (animation)
Computer animation or traditional? People seem to be assuming the latter. I would expect computer animation to have transferrable skills within the tech industry. What alternate careers are your colleagues entering?
Computer - I do layout.
My colleagues are all at a loss. We are unsure of where to go. It is quite a big moment in the entertainment industry, and not a good one.
anagram

Post by anagram »

plumtart_09 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:04 pm
plumtart_09 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:25 pm So I am in a currently failing industry (animation)
Computer animation or traditional? People seem to be assuming the latter. I would expect computer animation to have transferrable skills within the tech industry. What alternate careers are your colleagues entering?
Computer - I do layout.
My colleagues are all at a loss. We are unsure of where to go. It is quite a big moment in the entertainment industry, and not a good one.
With your background in animation layout have you considered taking a job in graphics design? A remote job? This might be more stable than what is going on in the entertainment industry.
anagram

Post by anagram »

[ quoted post removed by admin LadyGeek]

I am very sorry to hear about your situation and severe anxiety. I would ignore the negative responses as some posters seem to post negative responses in other threads as well.

Some posters have suggested non-commercial credit counseling. The counsellors have a lot of experience (sadly) and should be able to help you come up with a plan so that you will be successful. You are clearly motivated and you will get out of this situation although it will take time.
clip651

Post by clip651 »

[ quoted post removed by admin LadyGeek]

OP - best wishes as you work to turn things around. I think you have gotten some good advice above (mixed in with some other replies). Thanks for coming back and giving us updates and continuing to participate in your thread. You don't need to answer every post by any means. By posting again you are letting those who have taken time to give advice know that you are reading and considering things. I was someone who was reading along and cheering you on without posting (yet). Now I'm posting to cheer you on.

One note on participating here that may help you - if you notice a post that is particularly troublesome, whether on your own thread or on another thread, you can hit the "!" button near the top of that post to report it to a moderator. A form will pop up where you can use the drop down to indicate what the problem is, and leave additional notes if you like as well to explain what is wrong. If something is happening that is against forum rules, the moderators will intervene. Otherwise if it is just not helpful, but doesn't cross a forum rule, just ignore it and move on to the helpful content.

I hope that you are able to use some of the helpful advice above, and I hope you will hang around and continue to learn here. Once you have your debt under control (you can do it, with time and effort!), you'll be ready to tackle saving and investing, and this is an excellent place to learn about that. Your future self will thank you if you hang around here and keep learning and educating yourself about finance.

I'll also just say as a pet owner - if your animals mean a lot to you and your partner, hang onto them and cut expenses in other places if possible. Certainly hold off on getting any other pets, and if rehoming one of them makes sense, you can consider that. (e.g. if you have four cats that don't get along that well, maybe rehoming one or two would actually improve things for the cats and the people.) But if you have pets you adore that are doing well, sacrifice in other places if you can make it work. The right animals can help with anxiety and bring comfort to their owners. Animal shelters sometimes have programs to help people keep their pets when they are having financial trouble. It can be better for the shelter to provide some food or discounted veterinary care in some instances to help people keep the animals they have, rather than the crowded shelter taking in more animals to take care of and find new homes for, etc.

Best wishes and keep us updated on your progress and with questions you may have.

cj
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I removed an off-topic post. As a reminder, see: General Etiquette
At all times we must conduct ourselves in a respectful manner to other posters. Attacks on individuals, insults, name calling, trolling, baiting or other attempts to sow dissension are not acceptable.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
one_speed

Post by one_speed »

With your skills, look at work in Construction, Engineering or Manufacturing. In all three, the computer and graphical skills you'd need to be an animator are desperately needed. Everything that is build, from a thumb tack to a Naval shipyard, is now modeled in either 2d or 3d on computer. You don't have to know anything about the subject to start, if you are good w the computer ypu will learn the program(s) then if it suits you you can learn what it is you are being asked to draw.

That is where I recommend you start, as I believe the market should be ok in most US cities and once employed, will be at least more stable than an entertainment industry job.

I disagree with the posters advising to sell your car, if that will make it tougher to find work. Also disagree w the posters that say ditch your animals, if the animals are what bring you joy. Find steady work, and focus on the credit card debt.
doughmeetsoil

Post by doughmeetsoil »

plumtart_09 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:04 pm
Computer - I do layout.
Have you and partner considered gig work like doordash/Uber/ lyft -- Nice car not much in assets so judgement proof
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

plumtart_09 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:00 pm
Cheez-It Guy wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 10:36 pm OP has not responded.

Hopefully that means buckling down on many of the helpful suggestions offered.
Correct.
Great! Good luck to you on a difficult path!
Sax32

Post by Sax32 »

Is there an Amazon or Fedex delivery job available in your area? They pay well and you can work 80 hours a week. The nice part is many of these jobs you don't have to drive your own car. I would also sell your current car and get a beater. Cut up your CC's and don't use them anymore.
meaghansketch

Post by meaghansketch »

hi plumtart,

I am in the same industry and just want to send good thoughts and good wishes. This industry has big ups and big downs and it's not easy to weather them, and it's as bad now as I've ever seen it (and I was around for the 2008-2010 crash and aftermath). I'm sure you are doing all the right things but when there are no jobs there are no jobs. Lean on the people around you for support and have faith that you can be the hardest working, most talented person but the realities of the industry come for all of us. What I've done during this time is:

A) double down on learning new skills that will be in demand when jobs start to come back
B) cut expenses to the very last bone (I know you've already done this)
C) set a timeline by which I expect jobs to start coming back and set a deadline that if jobs don't start coming back, I will find a new field in which to retrain

I am lucky that I have some savings so I've been able to survive on temp work and underpaid freelance.
Sign up for the temp agencies if you haven't (Creative Circle has had some jobs for me in the past, you could also try Creative Humans and Robert Half).

Keep your head up, and good luck to you.
beernutz

Post by beernutz »

Chapter the 7th you should consider.
AA: 41%/40%/19% - equities/positive return-zero volatility/bonds
KneePartsPro

Post by KneePartsPro »

Years ago when I was in a similar situation I did a combination of some of the things being suggested: sold my car, binged Dave Ramsey, and pinched every penny possible. It was a sink or swim moment in my life and fortunately I swam hard.
SantaClaraSurfer

Post by SantaClaraSurfer »

Getting out of, and staying out of, debt is possible but you are going to need to budget better and find steady work.

1. Right off the bat, begin to frame this positively.

You will find work, either in your field or elsewhere, or both. It is possible to get out of debt and stay out of debt. (Many others, including me, have done this.) You're gonna do this, too, and soon, you will get ahead that extra few hundred a month, keep a monthly budget, and begin to save for a healthy emergency fund so that you never have to experience this again.

2. Your base expenses outside your credit card debt and car expense (ie. your Housing / Food) seem reasonable, though I'm not really seeing insurance and utilities or other typical expenses reflected in there. Three things come to mind:

a) Can you reduce your overall car expense and payment and perhaps find alternate or cheaper transportation?
b) Is there something (no need to share it on the forum) that you are using the credit card for that you need to deal with on a personal level? If so, you need to address that, too.
c) Can you catalog, again, no need to share, a fully detailed monthly budget for yourself with every last expense?

3. You and your partner need to do a full court press to find multiple streams of steady income that meet your minimal budget.

Make a spreadsheet. Tally up every budget item (including the ones you haven't included here) in that spreadsheet like I did below (...took me two minutes.) Add several hundred dollars to that target (ie. bring it to something like $3500) to account for random expenses/delayed paychecks/minor emergencies. Then the next weeks need to be a steady stream of action with the goal of bringing in income to meet that $3500 monthly budget.

Code: Select all

Car Payment	600
Rent		577
Car Ins		150
AMEX		510
CHASE		650
Best Buy	350
Food/Pets	350+

Subtotal	3187
60 hours per week (either by yourself, or the two of you) = about 250 hours per month.
$3500/250 = $14 per hour.
Accounting for tax deductions this is extremely doable with your skills and experience.

The most alarming part of your post, to me, was this:
plumtart_09 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:25 pm I am attempting to save at least 3k to be able to afford all my bills, but I am very worried.
You need to have a budget down to the dollar. And you need to overestimate, not underestimate your minimum monthly budget, esp. if you are going to have any chance of, first, paying the minimums, and second, strategically paying extra on the credit debt with the highest interest rate. Little expenses and emergencies will eat your lunch, otherwise.

I would recommend having a weekly budget meeting in your household, until you've got enough breathing room so that you're ahead by two or three hundred a month.

Put anything extra into an emergency fund until you've got $1,200.
After that, put something like 60% against debt and 40% into the emergency fund until the debt is gone.

Finally, if you celebrate the holidays at the end of the year, it makes sense to set aside some small amount every month to fund that and put it in your monthly budget, otherwise it's inviting the cycle of credit card expenditures all over again.
BL

Post by BL »

I agree that following Dave Ramsey (until you get out of debt) could be a great way to help figure out how to manage at this time. I believe he says to pay the minimum on all but the cc with the highest rate, and keep paying extra on that card until it is gone; then do the same with the next highest rate card. (He may suggest paying off the smallest card first to give a psychological boost instead.)

Hopefully, you are aware that using a credit card that is carrying a balance means that if you use it for any charges, the interest on that purchase begins immediately. It is important to either cut up your cards, or at least freeze them in a milk carton full of water until you get out of debt. Then you need to be extremely careful to only charge what you have cash to pay for at this moment.
Rocky Mtn Man

Post by Rocky Mtn Man »

plumtart_09 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 11:54 am
Rocky Mtn Man wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 6:10 am Find the nearest military recruiting station and talk to them. That has worked for 100,000s of young men and women.
How does this work for debt?
1. Recruitment bonus.
2. You have a paycheck after 5 July.
leeks

Post by leeks »

plumtart_09 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 11:58 am
arcticpineapplecorp. wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 8:47 pm can you remember what you spent $57,000 on those credit cards?

if not, this begins the journey. You will have to figure out what happened otherwise you will just get yourself back into that debt even if you get yourself out of it (through bankruptcy or otherwise).
Yes - Supporting myself while unemployed/my partner while unemployed. I am a sucker and an overspender with an unstable career. If I could go back I would have become a plumber!

I am seeking counseling for this.
It's not too late. You can still become a plumber!
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

I disagree with some of the more extreme advice here to declare bankruptcy, go into credit counseling, pet ownership advice, or selling essentials. 13k on a car and 57k unsecured is quite a hole, but it's absolutely recoverable for a motivated, intelligent, healthy American.

If AmEx sues you and you have nothing, nothing happens. The debt is unsecured. You could talk to an attorney to see if you are a candidate for chapter 7, but chapter 13 would be crazy in my opinion. Chapter 7 is not a quick or easy get out of debt card. It's a real pain and has lasting impacts and I doubt it's worth it, all in. The attorney will also expect to be paid.

Some austerity measures should be taken in the short term until a good income is restored. This is a career crisis, not a case of financial ruin.

If you dream of being a plumber, go get it. Learn everything about being a plumber and get to work. You can be swimming in work, not swimming in CC debt. 100% serious.
Bennie

Post by Bennie »

So many good suggestions - I can add two ideas: if pets are important, 1) maybe a few hours/week work at the feed store would help by getting an employee discount and reduce the monthly for the animals while generating income as well, depending on the kind of pets. 2) pet sitting or dog walking for people on vacation may bring in income if done early morning, for lunch, and in the evening, working around another job, if possible.

I paid 25$ per visit for feeding and watering cats and cleaning the litter box - less than 30 min. work plus drive time - and that was years ago. When going on vacation we figured in the pet sitting as part of the expense and were glad to pay for reliable care. My pet sitter has a full-time business doing it and when I asked if I could learn from her, she said yes and that there was a lot of work! Luckily, I did not end up needing the extra income, but it would have been available as an opportunity.
Last edited by Bennie on Tue May 14, 2024 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeepergeo

Post by Jeepergeo »

This is a good time to do some self assessment regarding your future. The pathway for a 28 year old may be quite different from that of a 58 year old.

If younger, consider retraining to another viable field. CAD operators at engineering firms can take down serious pay. As others noted, consider the military...it will be a major change and will allow you to rethink things completely while getting paid.

If older, imagine where else your skills can be used. There are career coaches that can help with that process. Get a private career coach, not one through your union.

Good luck.
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

whodidntante wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:00 pm If AmEx sues you and you have nothing, nothing happens. The debt is unsecured.
If they get a judgement (which will take about a year or two after default if you don't spend the time/money to respond on time and keep showing up once they sue you), then they can eventually seize your car if it's worth enough above the state exemption to make it worth it to them, and they will eventually garnish your wages after you ignore their settlement offers for long enough (because you don't have the money to settle). If you have more than the state exemption amount in bank accounts, they can levy your accounts and take your money.

Then you have to decide out when it's all too much and you might as well file for bankruptcy.

Unless you have the anxiety switch in your brain turned off already (and it sounds like OP's is turned way on), that whole period of waiting for the other shoe to drop, and drop again, and keep dropping is... not conducive to most peoples' mental and emotional well being. If you're not stone cold already, you'll get there eventually (and maybe that itself is worth it, who knows), but the way there sucks total balls.
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next." ~Ursula LeGuin
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

Have you considered learning UX design? That industry is in a bit of a transition also, but good contract UX designers make $150-$300/hr.

https://medium.com/ux-in-motion/how-to- ... 4777af0f1a
investuntilimrich

Post by investuntilimrich »

Credit card debt is something I avoid entirely but thank goodness you got those points :oops:

Good luck on the road to financial recovery!
Billionaire

Post by Billionaire »

whodidntante wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:00 pm I disagree with some of the more extreme advice here to declare bankruptcy, go into credit counseling, pet ownership advice, or selling essentials.
Let's not forget the suggestion to join the military.
Topic Author
plumtart_09

Post by plumtart_09 »

bluebolt wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 5:57 am Have you considered learning UX design? That industry is in a bit of a transition also, but good contract UX designers make $150-$300/hr.

I would need a degree for this~ This one might take a long time to transition into.
I appreciate the advice! I am honestly tired of this industry though and would love to just jump onto the other side of the career world.
Topic Author
plumtart_09

Post by plumtart_09 »

Jeepergeo wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:20 pm This is a good time to do some self assessment regarding your future. The pathway for a 28 year old may be quite different from that of a 58 year old.

If younger, consider retraining to another viable field. CAD operators at engineering firms can take down serious pay. As others noted, consider the military...it will be a major change and will allow you to rethink things completely while getting paid.

If older, imagine where else your skills can be used. There are career coaches that can help with that process. Get a private career coach, not one through your union.

Good luck.

I am 29 ~ Would love to work with CAD but also requires under-grad in engineering and I cannot afford another degree.
Military might be an option at this point. I have a high pain threshold and a lot of physical energy.
popoki

Post by popoki »

plumtart_09 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 4:48 pm
Jeepergeo wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:20 pm This is a good time to do some self assessment regarding your future. The pathway for a 28 year old may be quite different from that of a 58 year old.

Good luck.

I am 29 ~ Would love to work with CAD but also requires under-grad in engineering and I cannot afford another degree.
Military might be an option at this point. I have a high pain threshold and a lot of physical energy.
True "draftsmen" who only do drawing work don't really exist in engineering anymore. All technicians are expected to have design abilities.

3D computer modeling of roadway projects is the future of highway design. 3D models will replace traditional 2D plan sheets. Highway agencies are just starting to embrace the concept, so there are not a lot of people who are experienced. A degree isn't required but training and proficiency is. Jobs for non-degreed, unlicensed engineering techs doing 3D modeling will easily pay six figures in private practice and remote work is becoming the norm.

Another computer field that is growing in demand is GIS.
Gray doesn't matter.
index245

Post by index245 »

Tundrama wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 8:01 am …I’ll say it, please binge the Ramsey show.

You have more problems than what will happen in July.

I’m not being an infomercial for his techniques, but they are certainly worth while and work for many folks.

My storyline is ugly as it gets. I could teach in high schools, how to screw up your life financially. Less than ten years ago, 750k in debt, marriage nearly done, met twice with bankruptcy attorneys (decided against filing), …yada, yada, yada.

Got on the phone with one of his people, and as of yesterday’s market, 3.2 m net worth and zero debt.

Yes, worked our rears off and my wife has yet to retire and she still works every minute of OT allotted.

I truly feel your pain but you need to shut down the hoses draining your future and rebut your financial mindset completely.

I know what it’s like to walk into the bathroom and find my wife crying in the shower with complete financial stress. Pure pain and anguish.
And guess what…financial stability equals a wonderful, loving marriage for us.

I certainly wish you the best.
I'll be honest, not the biggest Ramsey fan. That said, I've listened to this show and this is right up his wheelhouse.

To paraphrase what he would say....

They need a second job. Ramsey always mentions delivering pizza. Anything will do. Chip away at the credit card debt, smallest to largest.

Need to live on rice and beans. Cook your food, don't eat out. Buy cheap stuff.

If you have positive equity....sell the car. Buy a used beater that will get you from a to b.

You don't have to get rid of the pets, but if there is anything that can be adjusted, do it. Cheaper food. Fewer trips to the groomer. Anything.
Tundrama

Post by Tundrama »

index245 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 6:00 pm
Tundrama wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 8:01 am …I’ll say it, please binge the Ramsey show.

You have more problems than what will happen in July.

I’m not being an infomercial for his techniques, but they are certainly worth while and work for many folks.

My storyline is ugly as it gets. I could teach in high schools, how to screw up your life financially. Less than ten years ago, 750k in debt, marriage nearly done, met twice with bankruptcy attorneys (decided against filing), …yada, yada, yada.

Got on the phone with one of his people, and as of yesterday’s market, 3.2 m net worth and zero debt.

Yes, worked our rears off and my wife has yet to retire and she still works every minute of OT allotted.

I truly feel your pain but you need to shut down the hoses draining your future and rebut your financial mindset completely.

I know what it’s like to walk into the bathroom and find my wife crying in the shower with complete financial stress. Pure pain and anguish.
And guess what…financial stability equals a wonderful, loving marriage for us.

I certainly wish you the best.
I'll be honest, not the biggest Ramsey fan. That said, I've listened to this show and this is right up his wheelhouse.

To paraphrase what he would say....

They need a second job. Ramsey always mentions delivering pizza. Anything will do. Chip away at the credit card debt, smallest to largest.

Need to live on rice and beans. Cook your food, don't eat out. Buy cheap stuff.

If you have positive equity....sell the car. Buy a used beater that will get you from a to b.

You don't have to get rid of the pets, but if there is anything that can be adjusted, do it. Cheaper food. Fewer trips to the groomer. Anything.
Agreed 100%

The scary vision I see here is this…even if the debt is completely paid in full, if the Ops core spending behavior does not change, then life will remain difficult with debt weighing down all happiness.

A bunch of money won’t guarantee happiness.

A bunch of debt, will guarantee misery.
Maverick3320

Post by Maverick3320 »

Billionaire wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 11:59 am
whodidntante wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:00 pm I disagree with some of the more extreme advice here to declare bankruptcy, go into credit counseling, pet ownership advice, or selling essentials.
OP has talked negatively about her current career in multiple posts, blaming it for her current problems. While it is unpopular to discuss these days, the military does actually provide a steady paycheck and yes, can actually provide some discipline - which some would say would help in cases like this.

What exactly is "extreme" about considing the military as an option for a person with a dead end career and serious financial issues?
cbs2002

Post by cbs2002 »

OP, been there although the debt was student loans. I worked at hourly jobs unrelated to my desired career for about four years because I did not feel I had the ability to go out and work for free or next to nothing to get started. Eventually I got into my desired field. You are young enough to still do this.

I read some good advice recently along the lines of:

"Work hard to understand what it is you enjoy doing. Then work hard to understand if society will pay you enough to make a living at it. If the answer is no, you have to make choice about what you are willing to do to keep doing what you enjoy."

I don't have any specific advice for your industry. If I was you, I'd be identifying a line (or lines) of work where I could make a steady hourly wage, bust my rear end, and make as much as possible. At the same time, I'd be looking at what experiences and certifications I need to get out of my current career hole. And at the same time, I'd sell everything I did not need to survive especially that car - you need a simple runner/driver compact car. This will be a mentally tough process and it requires you to be brutally honest with yourself, but it is an entirely reasonable thing to do. I would not declare bankruptcy. Wishing you the best.
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

Plumber seems like a much easier path.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
clip651

Post by clip651 »

Maverick3320 wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 2:39 pm
OP has talked negatively about her current career in multiple posts, blaming it for her current problems. While it is unpopular to discuss these days, the military does actually provide a steady paycheck and yes, can actually provide some discipline - which some would say would help in cases like this.

What exactly is "extreme" about considing the military as an option for a person with a dead end career and serious financial issues?
Military is a great career option for those that want to pursue it. But requires a lot of things that other jobs OP might be considering don't require. For example, willingness to take on the risks of death, dismemberment, PTSD, etc in the name of service to country. Also typically giving up choice on where to live (need to be ready to be assigned to different parts of the country for training, and different parts of the world for deployments). Often not a pet friendly career, OP has four pets currently. Partner needs to sign on for the lifestyle as well, including absences of military partner during deployments and risk of injuries. Initial enlistments require multi year commitments - in other jobs, you can switch jobs pretty much at will if you have a better offer or just find your current job isn't a good fit.

Women have additional potential personal safety concerns while serving.

That's a pretty extreme lifestyle change. If that's what OP wants, that's great, she can certainly consider it. But it's certainly more extreme than adding a second or third job, or retraining for a new stateside career.
inittowinit

Post by inittowinit »

Chapter 7 bankruptcy sounds very applicable to your situation. Talk to an attorney.

Also contact a credit counseling agency to get a quote on a debt management plan for the credit cards (reduced interest with fixed monthly payments).

Upsolve.org is a good resource
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

clip651 wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 4:03 pm
Maverick3320 wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 2:39 pm

Military is a great career option for those that want to pursue it. But requires a lot of things that other jobs OP might be considering don't require. For example, willingness to take on the risks of death, dismemberment, PTSD, etc in the name of service to country. Also typically giving up choice on where to live (need to be ready to be assigned to different parts of the country for training, and different parts of the world for deployments). Often not a pet friendly career, OP has four pets currently. Partner needs to sign on for the lifestyle as well, including absences of military partner during deployments and risk of injuries. Initial enlistments require multi year commitments - in other jobs, you can switch jobs pretty much at will if you have a better offer or just find your current job isn't a good fit.

Women have additional potential personal safety concerns while serving.

That's a pretty extreme lifestyle change. If that's what OP wants, that's great, she can certainly consider it. But it's certainly more extreme than adding a second or third job, or retraining for a new stateside career.
I'm honored by those who serve. Thank you does not quite cover it. My internal model of military service is that it's most likely quite boring but punctuated by moments of extreme stress, and the possibility of becoming a casualty. And restriction of choice. Whatever we pay to those who serve is not adequate. They are not doing it for the money.
Benbo

Post by Benbo »

Sorry you're going through this. This website was very helpful for me the last time I had to search for a job. url]https://www.asktheheadhunter.com/[/url]

Best of luck.
sleepy06

Post by sleepy06 »

Check usajobs.gov for things you could do. Get your foothold with stable employment in any field you are qualified for. binge dave ramsey-that content was made for this situation.
If plumbing is an interest, call some unions/employers in your area and see if they have a path forward for you to earn while you learn the trade.
Any action (any job) is better than no job.
Sorry you are doing through this but I bet in 5 years you will be proud of how you pivoted and got rid of the debt.
Even a little positive news right now for you would go a long way so look for the small victories along the way.
Jeepergeo

Post by Jeepergeo »

plumtart_09 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 4:48 pm

Good luck.

Over the years, I have worked with many CAD operators. Out of maybe 30 operators only a few, less than 10 had degrees. All of them were artistic and could draw.
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

plumtart_09 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 4:47 pm
bluebolt wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 5:57 am Have you considered learning UX design? That industry is in a bit of a transition also, but good contract UX designers make $150-$300/hr.

I would need a degree for this~ This one might take a long time to transition into.
I appreciate the advice! I am honestly tired of this industry though and would love to just jump onto the other side of the career world.
I have worked with many more self-taught UX designers than degreed ones. Not that they're mutually exclusive. Some of the better UX folks I know went back to school mid-UX career.
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

plumtart_09 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 11:58 am If I could go back I would have become a plumber!
You reminded me of an old joke:

A doctor has a leaking pipe in the house and calls in the plumber for an estimate.

Dr.: How much is this going to cost to fix?

Plumber: About 4 hours. I charge $400 an hour, so figure $1600.

Dr.: $400 an hour!! I'm a doctor and I don't make that much!!

Plumber: Neither did I when I was a doctor.
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Bennie wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:11 pm So many good suggestions - I can add two ideas: if pets are important, 1) maybe a few hours/week work at the feed store would help by getting an employee discount and reduce the monthly for the animals while generating income as well, depending on the kind of pets. 2) pet sitting or dog walking for people on vacation may bring in income if done early morning, for lunch, and in the evening, working around another job, if possible.

I paid 25$ per visit for feeding and watering cats and cleaning the litter box - less than 30 min. work plus drive time - and that was years ago. When going on vacation we figured in the pet sitting as part of the expense and were glad to pay for reliable care. My pet sitter has a full-time business doing it and when I asked if I could learn from her, she said yes and that there was a lot of work! Luckily, I did not end up needing the extra income, but it would have been available as an opportunity.
Re: possible pet sitting income, you may want to consider apps such as Wag or Rover. I’ve heard of rates higher than some listed on this thread but depends on your area. Also, doggy daycares are often looking for good employees.

https://www.rover.com/

https://wagwalking.com/

There are also pet food pantries that can help with pet food until you get more settled.

For example, this is one in the LA area but I know there are some in many states.

https://www.laanimalservices.com/pet-food-pantry

Pets can be a great source of support so I understand your wanting to keep them. You can also buy cheap pet food in bulk e.g. Costco or feed supply stores. Also, there are low cost vet clinics in many metro areas.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

anagram wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:15 pm [ quoted post removed by admin LadyGeek]

I am very sorry to hear about your situation and severe anxiety. I would ignore the negative responses as some posters seem to post negative responses in other threads as well.

Some posters have suggested non-commercial credit counseling. The counsellors have a lot of experience (sadly) and should be able to help you come up with a plan so that you will be successful. You are clearly motivated and you will get out of this situation although it will take time.
Re: credit counseling for debt/credit card management

Clark Howard (spoke at the recent BH conference) recommends this non-profit credit counseling organization:

National Foundation for Credit Counseling

https://www.nfcc.org/

They have over 1200 certified credit counselors per their website.

Best of luck.
Darth Xanadu

Post by Darth Xanadu »

Jazztonight wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 5:02 pm
plumtart_09 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 11:58 am If I could go back I would have become a plumber!
You reminded me of an old joke:

A doctor has a leaking pipe in the house and calls in the plumber for an estimate.

Dr.: How much is this going to cost to fix?

Plumber: About 4 hours. I charge $400 an hour, so figure $1600.

Dr.: $400 an hour!! I'm a doctor and I don't make that much!!

Plumber: Neither did I when I was a doctor.
Haha! Very good, not one I've heard before.

For the OP....I've been reading with interest and I empathize.

I do think credit counseling may be worth looking into. There have been many other very good suggestions in this thread. I do hope that you'll revive this thread in 3 months (or 12 months or 24 months) to share how you successfully navigated this tumultuous stretch of your life, and persevered to achieve stability and happiness in your work/financial life.

I believe that you will.

DX
keeptruckin

Post by keeptruckin »

OP - sorry you are going through this. I went through something similiar - got a simple job in retail grocery and worked my tail off, moved into an admin position in the store that I later used to pivot into a FANTASTIC government job. Do what you need to do to survive, don't be afraid to pivot and change, read ask a manager for advice on your resume and transferring your skills into other work. As a woman, I wouldn't join the military for a million bucks, but that's just my own .02.

You'll be okay - have faith in yourself and follow your gut. Best of luck to you and your family.