best tips for shaving

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
pshonore

Re: best tips for shaving

Post by pshonore »

AznSaver wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:59 am
MrWasabi65 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:17 am I'd like to upgrade from a razor and shaving cream - to an electric razor and anything that might work better at less irritation, closer shave?
It might be helpful to know what type of razor and shaving cream you are using for comparison.

I currently used a Merkur safety razor w/Feather Blades and for cream I use a badger brush along Taylor of Old bond Street Shaving Soap.
Very close shave with zero irritation even thou I have sensitive skin and have to shave quite frequently. Most of my setup can be bought at an Art of Shaving Store and or Amazon and after the initial cost of the razor and brush it's probably the most economic way to shave.

I second the nomination for the Taylor soap. All you have to do is lightly touch the warm wet bristles to the soap and then create lather using a small bowl. And the bowl of soap lasts forever.
Angel of Empire

Post by Angel of Empire »

bloom2708 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:31 am Buy a quality electric. I have a higher end Panasonic. I never use it wet. Water and metal don't mix over time. I tap it out and use a small brush to clean.

Shave 2 times daily. Morning and before bed.

It takes me about 1-2 minutes if you don't get behind. I don't skip a day. Skipping days and heavy growth makes using the electric harder.

I have a Panasonic OneBlade for trimming around my neck and sometimes get pesky hairs just under the chin. And around sideburns.

It may take your skin a bit to toughen up from the electric.

Stay ahead and you'll have no issues.
I agree with all of this. I shave daily now but will try the bloom2708 twice daily routine.

If given time for your skin to adjust, a premium electric razor will provide a very close shave.
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

MrWasabi65 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:17 am I'd like to upgrade from a razor and shaving cream - to an electric razor and anything that might work better at less irritation, closer shave?

Please recommend an electric razor that gives you a close shave - as well, any cream, oil, or gel that works best for a close shave and minimal irritation? tips? hassles with cleaning an electric shaver? etc. thanks
Its a given that electric shavers irritate and a myth that they are faster or closer. But go ahead if you want to shave while driving, eating in restaurants, or showing off on the front porch.

The need for shaving cream is also a lie. Ordinary skin lotion and hot water works great, often better.
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

psteinx wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:11 pm Thoughts/recommendations?
I have sensitive skin and I like the Gillette Mach 3 but I “upgraded” to the fusion recently and like it even better. I like the gel shaving cream from Nivea. Takes me all of 5 minutes to shave and little to no irritation.

I’ve tried to like electric razors but never could get them to work, even the Braun 9. They miss patches of hair and cause even more irritation because you have to go back and forth multiple times.

A lot of people recommend safety razors but I find that a bit much for me. I don’t see shaving as a hobby, and using old timey shaving methods requires more equipment, more care, and more time. Plus you have to be VERY careful if you have little kids (where to store the blades, how to dispose of them, etc).

I want to get shaving over with as quickly and painlessly as possible and carriage razors and gel cream make that possible.
Vulcan

Post by Vulcan »

Best tip for shaving: DON'T
If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything. ~Ronald Coase
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

I usually use Mach 3, but have been using generic Mach 3 compatible blades for several years. They work very well, offer a very close shave, and are available at Walmart/Target (house brands) for very reasonable prices.

Then I purchased a Gillette brand Mach 3 large refill pack at Costco.

Oh my, the Gillette blades are good for about 3 shaves then they are really rough. Gilette/P&G must have spent a fortune designing a razor blade that becomes painfully dull this quickly. The generic blades can easily last weeks.

I'm not a Costco member, but use Costco shop cards to buy there as a non-member since I am not far from a Costco. If I were a member, I would probably return the low quality Gillette blades.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Legs not face but… Intuition razors are pretty awesome. Soap wrapped around a razor so you save time.
blueblock

Post by blueblock »

As it happens, I just recently switched to an electric razor for no better reason than I'm tired of wet shaving. I am very happy with my purchase, on Black Friday, of a Braun 9000 series, which comes with a cleaning station built into the charging stand. I would say that it is almost as close a shave as a wet blade, though not quite, but it is a small joy to be released from the drudgery of wet shaving.

(Note that the cleaning station comes with a single initial cartridge of what I would call "lubricated alcohol." Additional cartridges are about $4 each. I'm not sure how long they last, as I'm a new user.)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09B152YGK?re ... tails&th=1
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

NYCaviator wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:02 pm I don’t see shaving as a hobby, and using old timey shaving methods requires more equipment, more care, and more time. Plus you have to be VERY careful if you have little kids (where to store the blades, how to dispose of them, etc).

I want to get shaving over with as quickly and painlessly as possible and carriage razors and gel cream make that possible.
It was a hobby of mine for about a year (I'm guessing) but it was too much work for something that I needed to do on a regular basis, something that I eventually decided wasn't as much fun as it used to be. I did learn quite a bit.

If you want to check it out as a hobby, you really need to visit https://www.badgerandblade.com/. It's like the Bogleheads of shaving! Just like Bogleheads, badger and blade gets into other loosely related areas that are interesting.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
jayjayc

Post by jayjayc »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:44 pm Soap wrapped around a razor so you save time.
All right, this is fascinating. Please share details. I hate how long my shaving routine takes so I'm all for time-saving hacks.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

jayjayc wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:07 pm
AnnetteLouisan wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:44 pm Soap wrapped around a razor so you save time.
All right, this is fascinating. Please share details. I hate how long my shaving routine takes so I'm all for time-saving hacks.
A picture is worth a thousand words. It’s a Schick brand called intuition razors. Four or five blades wrapped in a bar of soap, on the end of a larger handle like a usual razor, so that you soap up and shave with one stroke. You buy the cartridges separately - around $30 for a pack of six, and they come in various colors and scents, and unscented. The cartridges can last a few weeks. It’s a category killer product, hard to go back to a normal razor once you’ve tried it, I just don’t know how well it would work on a face since I’m not in that, uh, predicament. Walmart and most discounters carry them.
Last edited by AnnetteLouisan on Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:16 pm
jayjayc wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:07 pm
A picture is worth a thousand words. It’s a Schick brand called intuition razors. Four or five blades wrapped in a bar of soap, so that you soap up and shave with one stroke. You buy the cartridges separately - around $30 for a pack of six, and they come in various colors and scents, and unscented. The cartridges can last a few weeks. It’s a category killer product, hard to go back to a normal razor once you’ve tried it, I just don’t know how well it would work on a face since I’m not in that, uh, predicament. Walmart and most discounters carry them.
I thought you must be kidding but I looked it up to be sure. Well, you weren't kidding!

They apparently market it to women.

It does look like it isn't designed for the irregularities of a face. I'd hate to have to try to get it around a nose, mouth, or chin! A (bladed) bar of soap isn't precise enough for that.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
P. spinosa

Post by P. spinosa »

I just used the last blade of a 50-pack of safety razor blades. Turns out it had lasted me more than five years (I shave once or twice a week). I ordered a 100-pack to replace it.

I was 25 when I bought the last pack, I'm 30 now, and if I consume them at the same rate, I'll be 40 when I order blades again.

Yikes! Memento mori.
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

P. spinosa wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:27 pm I just used the last blade of a 50-pack of safety razor blades. Turns out it had lasted me more than five years (I shave once or twice a week). I ordered a 100-pack to replace it.

I was 25 when I bought the last pack, I'm 30 now, and if I consume them at the same rate, I'll be 40 when I order blades again.

Yikes! Memento mori.
I've got different safety(?) razor blades.....Shark, Feather, Astra(my favorite).
I have a Gillette SuperSpeed razor, Gillette Adjustable, Merkur, Parker.
Obviously, I enjoy experimenting.
I usually use Schick Hydro5; I don't like Gillette Fusion at all.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Please recommend an electric razor that gives you a close shave - as well, any cream, oil, or gel that works best for a close shave and minimal irritation? tips? hassles with cleaning an electric shaver? etc. thanks
Braun Series 7. After that is overpriced and the same thing with doo dad features.
Almost as close as a razor and more forgiving, no bleeding.

Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z8 ... UTF8&psc=1
Blades, amazon.

Norelco has gone downhill since forever. The OEM blades are no different than knockoffs and pinch and burn.

Touch up in the shower as needed. Gel natural citrus liquid soap as needed.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GC ... UTF8&psc=1

Simple.
I had the Braun Series 3 for many years but it was discontinued. The 7 if nearly the same.

These things depend a lot on how hairy someone is. (humor)

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know