what happens when a deceased has a car lease

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Franklin

what happens when a deceased has a car lease

Post by Franklin »

[Moved to Personal Finance subforum - moderator Kendall]

my FIL just passed and had a car lease that was in mid term. It is under milage and good shape. I think you can just notify the dealer/leasor that the lessee just passed. So, does anyone know if a death is a cause to just turn in? MIL has her own car so this is his only. Ive yet to read the contract but it is a standard lease contract. Don't plan to make any money just hope we don't have to continue full term.
Thanks in advance.
jebmke

Re: what happens when a deceased has a car lease

Post by jebmke »

a friend of mine started leasing in his 80s for this eventuality. She (his widow) simply notified the leasing company and returned the car. I think they sent someone to pick it up at her house. The lease agreement should specify cancelation terms. The lessor will provide instructions on what to do.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
mushripu

Re: what happens when a deceased has a car lease

Post by mushripu »

The problem would not be about the dealer taking vehicle back. The problem is if they decide to pursue deceased persons estate for damages. Any opinions?