What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
vtftw100

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by vtftw100 »

Harmanic wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 8:15 am I signed up for the waiting list for the Robinhood Gold Card, but I am having second thoughts. I estimate it will get me an extra $500 in rewards per year, but I have read too many horror stories about RH and $500 is a drop in the bucket for someone with a high net worth. Is it worth the hassle for the equivalent of less than a day's worth of investment returns? At this point, I am wondering if chasing rewards is worth it, period.
Chasing rewards may be worth it, even if for an adrenaline rush. That said, chasing rewards with Robinhood is a more questionable proposition.
MoreTaxes

Post by MoreTaxes »

Harmanic wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 8:15 am I signed up for the waiting list for the Robinhood Gold Card, but I am having second thoughts. I estimate it will get me an extra $500 in rewards per year, but I have read too many horror stories about RH and $500 is a drop in the bucket for someone with a high net worth. Is it worth the hassle for the equivalent of less than a day's worth of investment returns? At this point, I am wondering if chasing rewards is worth it, period.
This was my thought about Robinhood. I initially thought, oh, 3% is better than 2%, maybe I should switch to Robinhood Gold. But I would have to have the hassle of the annual fee, maintaining a brokerage account I don't use, getting the cash back in the brokerage and then transferring it out. And I believe the conventional wisdom is the the credit card terms are not sustainable in the long run.

I've had enough problems with black-out dates and limitations on using rewards that I only deal in cash back now, and for simplicity I use a card that doesn't have categories.
Wwwdotcom

Post by Wwwdotcom »

tj wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 11:46 pm
Wwwdotcom wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 11:34 pm
tfunk wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:56 pm
stilllurking wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:19 pm IHG for $99 annual fee gives a night free annually too.
I just signed up for this. After spending $3,000 they give 140,000 points. I am primarily interested in Hong Kong Express Causeway Bay. 28,000 points/night equals 5 free nights. (Bookingdotcom quotes $150/night). In addition book 3 nights with points get one night free so actually a total of six nights at $150/night equals a first year benefit of $900. Also 40,000 point award night each year at a renewal cost of $95/year. Seemed like a good deal to me.
I think most of the hotel cards are a good deal if someone uses frequent miler and travels. It's the primary way to bypass tourist taxes.
What does frequent miler mean and how does it help?
Sorry, I meant to say use frequentmiler.com
https://frequentmiler.com/best-credit-c ... up-offers/

At any given time, there is usually at least two or three hotel chains with a decent sign-up offer listed on the site.
tj

Post by tj »

Wwwdotcom wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 11:28 am
tj wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 11:46 pm
Wwwdotcom wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 11:34 pm
tfunk wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:56 pm
stilllurking wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:19 pm IHG for $99 annual fee gives a night free annually too.
I just signed up for this. After spending $3,000 they give 140,000 points. I am primarily interested in Hong Kong Express Causeway Bay. 28,000 points/night equals 5 free nights. (Bookingdotcom quotes $150/night). In addition book 3 nights with points get one night free so actually a total of six nights at $150/night equals a first year benefit of $900. Also 40,000 point award night each year at a renewal cost of $95/year. Seemed like a good deal to me.
I think most of the hotel cards are a good deal if someone uses frequent miler and travels. It's the primary way to bypass tourist taxes.
What does frequent miler mean and how does it help?
Sorry, I meant to say use frequentmiler.com
https://frequentmiler.com/best-credit-c ... up-offers/

At any given time, there is usually at least two or three hotel chains with a decent sign-up offer listed on the site.
Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I just don't tend to get approved for new cards like I used to. Banks say I have "too much available credit" or I have a sufficient number of cards with them.

Are other bogleheads still able to churn and get new offers with any sort of regularity? Are other people just typically closing cards after the first year?
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

tj wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 12:06 pm Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I just don't tend to get approved for new cards like I used to. Banks say I have "too much available credit" or I have a sufficient number of cards with them.

Are other bogleheads still able to churn and get new offers with any sort of regularity? Are other people just typically closing cards after the first year?

How many cards from the same vendor(s) do you have? ("... a sufficient number of cards with them.')? [emphasis added]

One doesn't need to close cards after the very first year.
However, there's probably not a reason to keep "too many" cards open over the long term, especially if the cards are almost duplicates of each other. Indeed, if there are fees, then one is paying fees for the duplication, if there are no useful perks that are specific/unique to each card you keep open.

We try to close some accounts after the second year. This may not be necessary, but our thinking is that given we do churn somewhat (not agressively, but we do open cards we don't "need" so we can get the SUB (Sign-Up Bonus). So paying an extra $99 per card for that second year's fee is a very small amount to help ensure that we won't have to deal with claw-backs. Our thinking is that the card issuers may be especially watching for closures on cards with SUBs, if they are closed after the very first year.
And we might never encounter any claw-backs without this "second year" strategy, but we'd rather not find out the hard way, for such a small fee. ($99 for something like 50k-100k points is small enough for us!)

And we almost never close a very old card, given the emphasis on average length of credit history.
And of course, we keep at least one card of each "type" open, with at least a couple of uses each year, so the points don't expire.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
tj

Post by tj »

ResearchMed wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 1:02 pm
tj wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 12:06 pm Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I just don't tend to get approved for new cards like I used to. Banks say I have "too much available credit" or I have a sufficient number of cards with them.

How many cards from the same vendor(s) do you have? ("... a sufficient number of cards with them.')? [emphasis added]

One doesn't need to close cards after the very first year.
However, there's probably not a reason to keep "too many" cards open over the long term, especially if the cards are almost duplicates of each other. Indeed, if there are fees, then one is paying fees for the duplication, if there are no useful perks that are specific/unique to each card you keep open.

We try to close some accounts after the second year. This may not be necessary, but our thinking is that given we do churn somewhat (not agressively, but we do open cards we don't "need" so we can get the SUB (Sign-Up Bonus). So paying an extra $99 per card for that second year's fee is a very small amount to help ensure that we won't have to deal with claw-backs. Our thinking is that the card issuers may be especially watching for closures on cards with SUBs, if they are closed after the very first year.
And we might never encounter any claw-backs without this "second year" strategy, but we'd rather not find out the hard way, for such a small fee. ($99 for something like 50k-100k points is small enough for us!)

And we almost never close a very old card, given the emphasis on average length of credit history.
And of course, we keep at least one card of each "type" open, with at least a couple of uses each year, so the points don't expire.

RM
I have one AmEx card - I'm currently in "pop up jail" for them - I did a Schwab platinum and Amex Green in 2020.
I have one Discover card. Haven't tried to apply any more from them.
I have one Capital One card - this was oepned a couple months ago, I will try for another six months after the first card. They gave me a kind of low limit though.
I have four Bank of America cards - I got denied for the Premium Rewards Elite for having a sufficient number of cards. At one point I had six cards with them though.
I have one personal and one business Chase card. No denials from them yet. I had always closed the annual fee cards from them within the first year.
I currently have one citi card. They closed one of my cards for inactivity at one point, and they also denied me when I tried to open another a few years ago.
I have two US Bank cards. Got denied for Altitude Reserve.
I also have two from Navy FCU, one from Wells Fargo, two from Pentagon FCU, one from USAA, one from Fidelity, one from Consumers Credit Union, one from State Department FCU, one from Alliant CU, one AAA (Comenity)

My total credit limit is probably 8x-10x stated annual income.

I definitely have some cards that I have no intentions of ever using, but they don't have fees and aren't at the big issuers, so I've never seen a reason to close them.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

tj wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 1:10 pm ... I definitely have some cards that I have no intentions of ever using, but they don't have fees and aren't at the big issuers, so I've never seen a reason to close them.

Is there any chance that is related to this:
RM
tj

Post by tj »

ResearchMed wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 1:21 pm
tj wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 1:10 pm ... I definitely have some cards that I have no intentions of ever using, but they don't have fees and aren't at the big issuers, so I've never seen a reason to close them.

RM
Maybe. So it would be advisable to close unneeded cards? People usually say not to close cards though.
bongo

Post by bongo »

tj wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 1:10 pm My total credit limit is probably 8x-10x stated annual income.
10x is way too much imo. Close some of the unused cards and lower the credit limits of some of the others
Wwwdotcom

Post by Wwwdotcom »

tj wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 1:23 pm
ResearchMed wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 1:21 pm
RM
Maybe. So it would be advisable to close unneeded cards? People usually say not to close cards though.
I can't find anything substantive on the web that blanketly recommends not to close cards. The two biggest things I am aware about is average account age, and sharp increases in the credit "utilization ratio". It seems like zero divided by any large denominator is going to be pretty close to zero no matter what.

I'm fairly new to this churning game, but it seems like its infeasible to get a substantial amount of hotel rewards without being able to reapply for the same card after 24/48 months on a regular basis. With two people, its more of a struggle for me to find vacation time than running out of stays to book.
bogles the mind

Post by bogles the mind »

This question is to the SYW card holders. How to get alerts on the authorized user card since it went to separate card numbers. I have turned on alerts. Changed to separate phone numbers, separate emails. CS doesn't help. They are a half a world away.
bogles the mind

cowbman wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:46 am New ones are the cash and not TYP, correct. I wish I had a Thank You version is all I'm saying
I recently googled SYW and it looks like the same points system is in place. The cash rewards are not mentioned and never were as far as I know. They show up in email offers randomly.
xb7

Post by xb7 »

Seems like the majority of the discussion here is about churning; if that's your focus you likely don't care about this. Read on for a warning about opening multiple Citibank cards.

My wife and I decided that an expensive travel card (Chase Sapphire Reserve, CSR for us) no longer fits our lifestyle, and wanted something simple with no fees yet a decent reward pattern for just normal spending behavior. We settled on the Citi Doublecash mastercard for default spending, and the (Citi) Costco visa for purchases at Costco, gas, travel, and restaurants.

I assumed that this combination would also work well insofar as I would be dealing with the same bank for both cards. I'm the primary on the doublecash card with my wife as an authorized user, she's the primary for the Costco card.

For each of us, when we tried to add the authorized card, Citibank made us create a separate, different login. Digging around, I found that there's a process by which one links two accounts. I don't know why that should be needed for two cards issued by the same bank, but okay, I can do that.

Except that I can't. I've called and talked to people over and over. The linking process includes ambiguous questions, but I went step by step with the representative over the phone --- it just doesn't work.
The last round they promised to fix things internally and email me "withing 24 to 48 hours". This email was never received. Ten days later I tried linking again and got the same error message. I don't know why something so basic is so very hard for these people; it doesn't give one confidence in their IT in general. I asked if, since they know exactly what I want to do, could they please just link the accounts on their end without me having to go through their broken system to do so? Apparently not.

Anyway, fair warning. If you get a, I would guess, Costco card along with any other Citi card, don't assume that you can view both via a single login. The additional hassle is that I can't think of a way to look at the Costco card data via their app (it defaults to the other card for me), and my password manager always wants to automatically log me in to their website, so it's just a PITA to get updated data on both of these cards due to their utter feckless and broken process.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

xb7 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:51 am

I'm the primary on the doublecash card with my wife as an authorized user, she's the primary for the Costco card.

This is your issue. I have yet to be an authorized user at any bank where I can see the whole account, rather than just my own transactions. Frankly, I don't even know how to do that with some of our cards.
tj

Post by tj »

I think it would be entirely normal for different primary cardholders to have different account logins. The credit cards aren't joint accounts.
xb7

Post by xb7 »

sailaway wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:59 am
xb7 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:51 am

I'm the primary on the doublecash card with my wife as an authorized user, she's the primary for the Costco card.

This is your issue. I have yet to be an authorized user at any bank where I can see the whole account, rather than just my own transactions. Frankly, I don't even know how to do that with some of our cards.
With some awkward maneuvering, I was able to login to my authorized account with the Costco card, and I could see the basics that I wanted to know, or at least I could see the current outstanding balance.
xb7

Post by xb7 »

tj wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 11:00 am I think it would be entirely normal for different primary cardholders to have different account logins. The credit cards aren't joint accounts.
Perhaps that's the right way to view things. My assumption was that I'm logging in to the Citibank system as 'me', so it's reasonable that I should be able to see all the Citibank accounts associated with 'me' via that login, whether primary or authorized.

At any rate, I can't imagine that this linking process is such an unusual request, and looking around online I saw other complaints about this. It doesn't speak well about Citi, though of course I can only speak with authority about my own experience.

I've been thinking of moving my brokerage to Fidelity; if so, I'll be tempted now to go with the Fidelity 2% visa to get us down to just one Citi card to (hopefully ...) simplify my life that way !

It seems like too few enterprises spend time testing / thinking about (and fixing) the customer experience in fairly normal scenarios.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

xb7 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 11:25 am My assumption was that I'm logging in to the Citibank system as 'me', so it's reasonable that I should be able to see all the Citibank accounts associated with 'me' via that login, whether primary or authorized.

Think about what you've written for a moment, and from a "general use" perspective.

If I allow someone to be an "authorized user", would I definitely and always want to allow them to see ALL of MY activity, what I buy, how much I spend, etc.?
This could be a teenaged child, someone who works for you, or someone who you are trying to help to get credit, such as a good friend [and hopefully in some of these cases, one has arranged a limit for that authorized user, to be prudent!], etc.

An "authorized user" is NOT a "joint account owner". And for whatever reasons, those are pretty rare these days, if they are still approving new "joint charge cards" at all these days. (There may be some cards issuers that still do this.)

But MANY people who allow others to be "authorized users" would definitly NOT want them to see all of the activity.

Hence, the policy, which makes sense in general.
(There are almost always going to be situations where some "general rule" doesn't "fit the way one wishes', but... that's the way the rules are...)

RM
cshell2

Post by cshell2 »

I've had authorized users on my cards for years (my kids) and honestly, was never even aware that they could have their own logins.
tj

Post by tj »

cshell2 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:58 pm I've had authorized users on my cards for years (my kids) and honestly, was never even aware that they could have their own logins.
When I was an AU on my dad's card, I certainly never had a log in - I wasn't aware of this either.
xb7

Post by xb7 »

ResearchMed wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:43 pm
xb7 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 11:25 am My assumption was that I'm logging in to the Citibank system as 'me', so it's reasonable that I should be able to see all the Citibank accounts associated with 'me' via that login, whether primary or authorized.
Think about what you've written for a moment, and from a "general use" perspective.

If I allow someone to be an "authorized user", would I definitely and always want to allow them to see ALL of MY activity, what I buy, how much I spend, etc.?
This could be a teenaged child, someone who works for you, or someone who you are trying to help to get credit, such as a good friend [and hopefully in some of these cases, one has arranged a limit for that authorized user, to be prudent!], etc.

An "authorized user" is NOT a "joint account owner". And for whatever reasons, those are pretty rare these days, if they are still approving new "joint charge cards" at all these days. (There may be some cards issuers that still do this.)

But MANY people who allow others to be "authorized users" would definitly NOT want them to see all of the activity.

Hence, the policy, which makes sense in general.
(There are almost always going to be situations where some "general rule" doesn't "fit the way one wishes', but... that's the way the rules are...)

RM
I believe we're talking about different things; perhaps my comment wasn't clear enough.

You're talking about what details an authorized user can and cannot see of a primary account.

What you quoted me on is about seeing whatever I can see when logged in as a primary on my account and as an authorized user on my wife's account --- but that I can't see these things from a single log in. I have to use two different login UIDs and associated passwords to incrementally look at the account that I'm a primary on, and to see whatever an authorized user can see of the other account.

It would make sense to me to allow me to log in with a single UID & PW, not on a per-account basis, but once on a this-is-a-unique-person basis and from there see whatever it is that I'm allowed to see of whatever Citibank credit card accounts I'm associated with. Clearly Citi hasn't implemented it that way, but given so I'm of the opinion that they should then at least make their linking process easy and reliable to use, rather than whatever it is they've actually cobbled up and inadequately tested.

I'm not concerned (at this point at least?) with which details I can and cannot see of my my wife's Costco card account when I'm logged in (as me) as an authorized user.
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

tj wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 1:00 pm
cshell2 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:58 pm I've had authorized users on my cards for years (my kids) and honestly, was never even aware that they could have their own logins.
When I was an AU on my dad's card, I certainly never had a log in - I wasn't aware of this either.
BOA and Chase won't let an authorized user see the account online. I've never had a Citi card, but the only issuer I was aware of that allowed the AU to have a separate login was Amex. I think they handle AUs the best. Different card numbers, your own log in, and it is really easy to see who spent what on the statement. With BOA everything is kind of jumbled up. I'd assume the Amex system is MUCH better for fraud too. With BOA the card numbers and CCV for primary and AU are all the same, so if one got compromised the whole family loses access. That could be an issue if you are traveling. With Amex, you only need to shut down the compromised card and the remaining cards continue to operate as business as usual.
MoreTaxes

Post by MoreTaxes »

My spouse and I can each see all of the transactions on our citi doublecash account when we login or use the app. Perhaps we have a joint account? I don't remember.

But some companies certainly do a good job at what xrb7 is describing. Fidelity has a single login, for example, where one can see all accounts managed. Even if that includes multiple accounts one owns along with other accounts that one has power-of-attorney on. It's exactly the sort of thing that citi is apparently not doing.
xb7

Post by xb7 »

NYCaviator wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 2:04 pm ...
With BOA the card numbers and CCV for primary and AU are all the same, so if one got compromised the whole family loses access.
That's another interesting thing I noticed with Citibank. With the Doublecash card, primary and AU have the same card number, to include the same CVV. With the Costco visa --- also via Citibank --- the credit card numbers are different (and of course the CVVs are too).

My sense is that they've done a lot to make the Costco card really separate, or perhaps Costco itself mandated some of this (?). Note also that the Costco card includes my photo and my Costco number, and so doubles as my Costco membership card. Nice, insofar as one less card in the wallet. Well, Costco does allow a digital card that can be used for access to the warehouse, but the Costco Visa is nice particularly when buying Costco gas --- just one card to put in and you're done.

Okay, I digress. My point is that the Costco card is somewhat special with Citi I think, which might or might not be related to my issue --- who knows. I'm never going to do any more business with Citi anyway, as they have no branches anywhere near where I live, so if I can only work out how to check both card balances periodically without too much frustration, no worries.

But in terms of my brief experiences with Citi, maybe I should mention also that as soon as I got my doublecash mastercard, I added it to Google Wallet. Went to my local grocery store and tried to pay with Google wallet. Payment was declined, yet I was able to pay with the physical card.
Immediately got emails and texts about calling their fraud department. Was told the card was now limited in what I could use it for until I could verify who I am. ?? They couldn't answer any questions about this, as, according to their fraud dept. algorithm, I might have been a fraudster. They had to send my a physical letter by snail mail, which for no logical reason required 7 - 10 business days to get to me --- it took 11 calendar days, and may I add that prior to all of this I had shifted a lot of autopays over to this now undefinably-limited-use card.

The ultimate explanation? Adding a new card to google wallet and then trying to buy something with it (something exotic like groceries at my local grocery store ...) fit a fraud pattern apparently. I.e., adding the card to Google wallet --- which they let me do --- and then actually trying to USE it --- just wow. They told me that they couldn't identify me over the phone (why??) nor tell me anything about it on the assumption that my phone might have been stolen. Perhaps this is one of the outcomes of treating very large model pseudo-AI as if it has any actual intelligence. That all was strike one for Citi for me, and then the linking failure strike two.

I'm NOT looking to strike them out, they just keep swinging and missing by a mile.
dokeeffe

Post by dokeeffe »

I just noticed that a restaurant that I go to occasionally is coded as "Misc Food Store, Specialty, Convenience" on my Citi Thankyou Rewards card, which means I miss out on the x3 points.

It is definitely a restaurant, even has RESTAURANT in the description of the transaction.

Does any one have any experience getting a Spend Category changed?
On which side is the problem, the card or the vendor?
HereToLearn

Post by HereToLearn »

dokeeffe wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:49 am I just noticed that a restaurant that I go to occasionally is coded as "Misc Food Store, Specialty, Convenience" on my Citi Thankyou Rewards card, which means I miss out on the x3 points.

It is definitely a restaurant, even has RESTAURANT in the description of the transaction.

Does any one have any experience getting a Spend Category changed?
On which side is the problem, the card or the vendor?
I questioned a VRBO charge on a Citi Premier card once that should have coded as 3X travel but instead coded as 1X--all other. Citi blamed it on how the merchant submitted the charge. VRBO is not a small merchant, so I just made sure to charge future VRBO expenses on a different card.

Citi is my retail bank and they are just not good. Antiquated systems...difficult to navigate website, but inertia keeps me there.
cowbman

Post by cowbman »

bogles the mind wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:33 am
cowbman wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:46 am New ones are the cash and not TYP, correct. I wish I had a Thank You version is all I'm saying
I recently googled SYW and it looks like the same points system is in place. The cash rewards are not mentioned and never were as far as I know. They show up in email offers randomly.
SYWR are the Sears points scheme which are worth very little and most recommend utilizing as a statement credit. Thank You Points is no longer an option available for the Sears card. It was the light blue version. If you know where to obtain the light blue Thank You Points (TYP) version, I'm all ears.
tj

Post by tj »

cowbman wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 4:04 pm
SYWR are the Sears points scheme which are worth very little and most recommend utilizing as a statement credit. Thank You Points is no longer an option available for the Sears card. It was the light blue version. If you know where to obtain the light blue Thank You Points (TYP) version, I'm all ears.
Ears don't matter, it was discontinued.
bogles the mind

cowbman wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 4:04 pm
SYW points ( redeemable for gift cards)5% gas, 3% grocery and restaurants, 2% SYW merchants, 1% everything else
https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/shop- ... redit-card

This is the card I have. Special cash back rewards for this card that can be redeemed for cash or statement credits are offered in emails. Mine have been coming steadily for years now. My current offer I am using and stacks with SYW rewards, is 10% back on gas, groceries and restaurants for the entire year. Must spend $1000 per month in these categories. Once it was 20% for a quarter. Another quarter it was 15%. One offer was 10% back for online purchases. So between the cash back and SYW points I'm getting 15% back on gas, 13% back on groceries and restaurants. How is this different than the TYP card. Some people have reported on Money Ninja that the email offers can also stack but I haven't tried.
https://themoneyninja.com/shop-your-way ... rd-review/
vbdoug

Post by vbdoug »

"My credit card strategy the last couple of years has been to get a $200 bonus through Wells Fargo, Chase or B of A. Now I am looking for something else. I have been searching for a credit card bonus that would net me about $500 with maybe spending four or 5 thousand in three months. My credit is excellent. I devoted a fair amount of time this morning by checking out Capital One that offers a bonus of 7500 but the cash value of that is only $375. It would be more if I traveled, but I don't. Plus, it has a $95 annual fee.
Any suggestions for a card that would fit my needs?"

I posted the above question in early March and [Unnecessary comment removed. Moderator Pops1860] I did not receive any positive responses. I've done a fair amount of research on this and the reason I did not get a positive response is, I think, is that what I was requesting is unavailable.
On a more positive note, I noted some additional $200 bonuses that I had not seen on the traditional credit websites on both the Experian and Equifax websites that might be helpful to some.
tj

Post by tj »

vbdoug wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 4:07 pm "My credit card strategy the last couple of years has been to get a $200 bonus through Wells Fargo, Chase or B of A. Now I am looking for something else. I have been searching for a credit card bonus that would net me about $500 with maybe spending four or 5 thousand in three months. My credit is excellent. I devoted a fair amount of time this morning by checking out Capital One that offers a bonus of 7500 but the cash value of that is only $375. It would be more if I traveled, but I don't. Plus, it has a $95 annual fee.

I posted the above question in early March and [Unnecessary comment removed. Moderator Pops1860] I did not receive any positive responses. I've done a fair amount of research on this and the reason I did not get a positive response is, I think, is that what I was requesting is unavailable.
On a more positive note, I noted some additional $200 bonuses that I had not seen on the traditional credit websites on both the Experian and Equifax websites that might be helpful to some.
Your best option is the US Bank Altitude Connect - get $500 after spending $2000. Hurry before they devalue the points which is planned in September I believe.

https://www.usbank.com/credit-cards/alt ... -card.html
vbdoug

Post by vbdoug »

Thank you.
dingusbojangles

Post by dingusbojangles »

vbdoug wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 4:07 pm "My credit card strategy the last couple of years has been to get a $200 bonus through Wells Fargo, Chase or B of A. Now I am looking for something else. I have been searching for a credit card bonus that would net me about $500 with maybe spending four or 5 thousand in three months. My credit is excellent. I devoted a fair amount of time this morning by checking out Capital One that offers a bonus of 7500 but the cash value of that is only $375. It would be more if I traveled, but I don't. Plus, it has a $95 annual fee.

You might find this resource helpful: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/best-cur ... n-bonuses/
DrGrnTum

Post by DrGrnTum »

You are posting specific questions about credit cards to an investment website.
You might get a better response if you check out some CR churning sites.

The Doctor of Credit site posted above is a good resource.
The Reddit churning site has a lot of information on credit cards.
Here is their website link on recommended credit cards.

https://m16p-churning.s3.us-east-2.amaz ... atest.html

You can also check out this site.

https://old.reddit.com/r/churning/

Post your questions to the "Question Thread" or the "What Card Should I Get? Weekly Thread"

Good Luck
WanderDad

Post by WanderDad »

We put rewards cards to work extensively, as we travel a lot with our two kids.

Goal. Are you out to earn cash back, travel points, hotels, or other perks, airline miles, etc? Anything else you're out to achieve by using rewards credit cards?

We focus on overall travel points, IHG hotels, and some airline miles. We find we get more "mileage" than through cash back.

Cards. Your cards, their rewards (i.e. what % back on what types of purchases) and other perks, fees, limits, and how you use them strategically (i.e. use this card for that, etc)

Capitol One Venture X is our primary card unless we are tactically pursuing a signup offer on a new card. The $395 annual fee pays for itself pretty quickly: $300 statement credit on travel through the portal (we used this recently for hotel bookings). My spouse has an AU card under my account. When we fly, we can each get into lounges for free, and each child is a free guest under our card. Having lounge access has more than paid for the the card a few times over, simply by getting free food and drink at airports around the world.

Chase IHG Premier: IHG is our preferred hotel brand. My spouse has the main card, but I recently got my own due to a great signup bonus offer. We recently leveraged our rewards on this card to cover an emergency hotel stay, and have also (under happier circumstances) to cover our hotel during a Disney World trip.

Airline cards: We handle these more tactically, and don't have loyalty to any particular airline. When the BofA Air France/KLM card had a great bonus, we snagged the card, got the bonus, and use the points to pay for flights to and from Europe. We often fly United, so we do hold their Gateway card, and find that it pays for its $95 annual free pretty quickly with savings on checked bags fees.

Rewards. How you redeem.

We primarily use our points and miles for travel, not for cash back. We find the numbers more favorable.

Final Thoughs. Any other details we might find interesting. Get your Jerry Springer on.

I know as well as you do that first class, luxury, lie-flat, etc etc etc tends to suck up all the oxygen around points and miles. We don't bother with it.We fly economy and stay in mid-range hotels. Since there's four of us traveling though, the savings our points and miles have made possible for us have gone far in helping us stretch our travel budget.