Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Raraculus

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by Raraculus »

The first $100K is indeed the hardest!

I opened a brokerage account in sometime in 2013. Just this last month (February 2024), I finally crossed the $100K mark! The stock market has been quite on a huge tear lately.

I suspect it'll be short-lived; I have upcoming expiring CC"s to pay off soon. :beer Hopefully it won't take me another 10+ years to see 100K again.
berg

Post by berg »

After market increases and fully diversifying out of company stock (the thing I have found hardest to follow the Bogelhead approach emotionally throughout the years we hit some big milestones:
  • Our taxable investment account is now over $1M, growing to $1.2M
  • Our overall portfolio is $2.6M
  • Our net worth is now about $3.6M
Age 40 now and little more than a decade on Bogleheads and we have come a long way from $295k net worth! We have been very fortunate and will keep staying the course as we aim for an early retirement! Thank you, all! :sharebeer
Bollate

Post by Bollate »

With appreciation for the many valuable lessons learned/applied from here, after 5+ years into retirement, on March 7th, our investment accounts total closed into the two-comma territory. It was a fleeting moment however as it dropped below the next day, but soon enough we will remain above the line in what is becoming a slow ascending glide path....knock on wood! ;)
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

berg wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:16 am After market increases and fully diversifying out of company stock (the thing I have found hardest to follow the Bogelhead approach emotionally throughout the years we hit some big milestones:
Age 40 now and little more than a decade on Bogleheads and we have come a long way from $295k net worth! We have been very fortunate and will keep staying the course as we aim for an early retirement! Thank you, all! :sharebeer
The Boglehead approach works!

Congratulations on your success.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

berg wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:16 am After market increases and fully diversifying out of company stock (the thing I have found hardest to follow the Bogelhead approach emotionally throughout the years we hit some big milestones:
Amazing! Great progress!!
“At some point you are trading time you will never get back for money you will never spend.“ | “How do you want to spend the best remaining year of your life?“
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Bollate wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:48 am With appreciation for the many valuable lessons learned/applied from here, after 5+ years into retirement, on March 7th, our investment accounts total closed into the two-comma territory. It was a fleeting moment however as it dropped below the next day, but soon enough we will remain above the line in what is becoming a slow ascending glide path....knock on wood! ;)
Actually building assets in retirement is a great feat!

Congratulations on being “investment millionaires”, at least for a day.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

Bollate wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:48 am With appreciation for the many valuable lessons learned/applied from here, after 5+ years into retirement, on March 7th, our investment accounts total closed into the two-comma territory. It was a fleeting moment however as it dropped below the next day, but soon enough we will remain above the line in what is becoming a slow ascending glide path....knock on wood! ;)
Most excellent! Best wishes for an enjoyable retirement.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
broncocountry25

Post by broncocountry25 »

After contributing $7K to the ROTH IRA this year my wife and I have both broke $100K in those accounts.

Feels good as this was the first retirement account we opened and contributed to before I even had access to a 401K.

Turn 34 at the end of the month so hopefully with additional contributions and growth these accounts will be helpful down the road...
mikejuss

Post by mikejuss »

broncocountry25 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:51 am After contributing $7K to the ROTH IRA this year my wife and I have both broke $100K in those accounts.

Feels good as this was the first retirement account we opened and contributed to before I even had access to a 401K.

Turn 34 at the end of the month so hopefully with additional contributions and growth these accounts will be helpful down the road...
Congrats. The next stop is the two-comma club. Stay the course! :moneybag
50% VTSAX | 25% VTIAX | 25% VBTLX (retirement), 25% VTEAX (taxable)
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

broncocountry25 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:51 am After contributing $7K to the ROTH IRA this year my wife and I have both broke $100K in those accounts.

That’s absolutely excellent!

Keep on contributing and investing wisely, and you’ll see those accounts grow and grow over time.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Congratulations :D
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
luminous

Post by luminous »

luminous wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:33 pm Last month our net worth passed the $4M mark, which just feels unreal. I am in my mid-40s, spouse a bit younger. We don't own real estate so this is all investments. As ever, we are thankful for this forum for helping us keep it simple and stay the course.
We just passed $5M in invested assets. Still so thankful for this forum for helping us keep it simple and stay the course.
67/12/21 US stock/international stock/bonds. Bonds capped at 10x annual spending. Semi-retired as of 2022.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

Most excellent. And thanks to compounding, it gets better/faster with your steady contributions and the passing of time.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

luminous wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:35 pm
luminous wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:33 pm Last month our net worth passed the $4M mark, which just feels unreal. I am in my mid-40s, spouse a bit younger. We don't own real estate so this is all investments. As ever, we are thankful for this forum for helping us keep it simple and stay the course.
We just passed $5M in invested assets. Still so thankful for this forum for helping us keep it simple and stay the course.
That’s great!

Congratulations on growing your assets in retirement.
AerialP

Post by AerialP »

A day or two ago, I'm just going to etch it in my brain as "Spring Equinox 2024", I joined The Two Comma Club with respect to conservatively-estimated net worth. I realize with market fluctuations and the loose valuation of my modest real estate that it's a vague milestone achieved but it feels warm & fuzzy to peg it to a date to remember.

After 20 years of Bogleheading I think it will finally be time to post my portfolio review write-up at the end of this quarter to bounce it off of the brilliant hivemind.
Only my parents know about this and they themselves are loosely at The Two Comma Club criteria.
"An underappreciated investing truth is that you don’t need to make many great decisions to do well over time. You just have to consistently not blow it for long periods of time." M Housel
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

AerialP wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:28 am A day or two ago, I'm just going to etch it in my brain as "Spring Equinox 2024", I joined The Two Comma Club with respect to conservatively-estimated net worth. I realize with market fluctuations and the loose valuation of my modest real estate that it's a vague milestone achieved but it feels warm & fuzzy to peg it to a date to remember.

After 20 years of Bogleheading I think it will finally be time to post my portfolio review write-up at the end of this quarter to bounce it off of the brilliant hivemind.

Only my parents know about this and they themselves are loosely at The Two Comma Club criteria.
Yes, that is a date to remember. Congratulations!

And do post your portfolio for review. If you've been "Bogleheading" for 20 years, I expect that it's pretty darned good, but it never hurts to get the input of the wise minds here.

Congratulations again.
AerialP

Post by AerialP »

Stinky wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:30 am
AerialP wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:28 am ... After 20 years of Bogleheading I think ...
... If you've been "Bogleheading" for 20 years, ...
Perhaps I've sometimes thought of it in the navigational and nautical sense ,which is also exemplified by the HMS Vanguard logo.
Having been, and continuing to be, tracking a heading which is inspired by Jack Bogle at the helm. A Bogle Heading.
"An underappreciated investing truth is that you don’t need to make many great decisions to do well over time. You just have to consistently not blow it for long periods of time." M Housel
nedsaid

Re: Two Comma Club

Post by nedsaid »

Stinky wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 9:50 am
Tamalak wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 9:35 am
Tamalak wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:53 am Today, with this small market increase, I joined the two comma club at the age of 38 :sharebeer

It's so good to know that no matter what happens with my employment, I'll be okay. Money is freedom.
The above two comma club lasted EXACTLY ONE DAY.

16 months later, I have rejoined it :sharebeer (let's see if I can hold it for longer this time)
Yes, many of us hit our all time highs around 1/3/22, when you hit the two comma club for the first time.

I’m glad that you stayed the course and have regained that high water mark. With over $1 million at (now) age 39, you’ll be just fine as you continue to save and invest wisely.

Congratulations!
On Thursday, March 21, 2024 my portfolio hit all time highs. This doesn't take into consideration the surge in inflation which has reduced the purchasing power of what those dollars would buy. Still it is a good feeling to see the portfolio fully recovered from the 2022 stock and bond market drops. The stocks have recovered but my bond funds still show sizeable losses.
A fool and his money are good for business.
Veiled

Post by Veiled »

Veiled wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:22 am Proud to announce that I am back to broke!!!
Back a year later: I’m at 100k in assets for the first time.

The recent run-up in stocks helped, and the tax man is about to take a bite out of the cash set aside for him…but I’m at least briefly looking at six digits. 😆
TwstdSista

Post by TwstdSista »

Veiled wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:00 am
Veiled wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:22 am Proud to announce that I am back to broke!!!

The recent run-up in stocks helped, and the tax man is about to take a bite out of the cash set aside for him…but I’m at least briefly looking at six digits. 😆
That is fantastic - well done!
Veiled

Post by Veiled »

TwstdSista wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:01 amThat is fantastic - well done!
Thank you! Love the username. 🤘
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Looks like it took you less than one year to increase your net worth by $100k. Congratulations!
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Congratulations :D
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
Veiled

Post by Veiled »

Stinky wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:17 am
Looks like it took you less than one year to increase your net worth by $100k. Congratulations!
Ah, I may have misrepresented things. Last year my net worth was zero, but I did have some assets—just not yet 100K. This year net worth is still not yet 100K, since I still have some debt.

“Debt-free” and “net worth 100K” will hopefully be upcoming announcements.
SquareWheeledBike

Post by SquareWheeledBike »

After years of living below our means and following the suggestions here, we passed $1m in net worth 2 weeks ago, and $1m in our portfolio last week.

We started with negative net worth, so I'm quite pleased with what we've been able to do so far.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

SquareWheeledBike wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:52 pm After years of living below our means and following the suggestions here, we passed $1m in net worth 2 weeks ago, and $1m in our portfolio last week.

We started with negative net worth, so I'm quite pleased with what we've been able to do so far.
That is excellent!

Congratulations.
SquareWheeledBike

Post by SquareWheeledBike »

Stinky wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:33 pm
SquareWheeledBike wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:52 pm After years of living below our means and following the suggestions here, we passed $1m in net worth 2 weeks ago, and $1m in our portfolio last week.

That is excellent!

Congratulations.

Thank you!
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Congratulations on both milestones :D
hadron

Post by hadron »

Crossed 6m in investments. First 1m took 10 years. Last 2m took 9 months. Market helped. New job helped even more.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

hadron wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:23 pm Crossed 6m in investments. First 1m took 10 years. Last 2m took 9 months. Market helped. New job helped even more.
Congratulations on building some very impressive wealth.
kayakprof

Post by kayakprof »

On March 20th, 2024, my DW and I hit just a smidge over 1 million in our pretax accounts. No pensions and no taxable accounts. Everything we save goes into a 3-fund portfolio. Feels good to hit that arbitrary milestone (me age 51; DW age 50). We feel we need about $3 million to cover our predicted expenses, so "early" retirement is not on the table. Gotta keep saving and investing! Very much appreciate this community for the great encouragement, analysis, and advice.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

kayakprof wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:02 pm On March 20th, 2024, my DW and I hit just a smidge over 1 million in our pretax accounts. No pensions and no taxable accounts. Everything we save goes into a 3-fund portfolio. Feels good to hit that arbitrary milestone (me age 51; DW age 50). We feel we need about $3 million to cover our predicted expenses, so "early" retirement is not on the table. Gotta keep saving and investing! Very much appreciate this community for the great encouragement, analysis, and advice.
Congratulations on joining the two comma club :happy
ems2013

Post by ems2013 »

In 2011 when I first started reading some of the recommendations here, spouse and I had a combined $30,660 in retirement assets and a very negative net worth. We crossed $100,00 in our retirement accounts in 2014. Within the last month we crossed $1m. I am so thankful for the information provided by this forum and for the knowledge I've gained.

With this knowledge I recommended to my employer that we switch from holding our retirement accounts at a "wealth manager" office to Vanguard. The "wealth manager" kept contributions in cash (!) and one time sent an advisor to our office to pitch a fund with front end & back end loads, as well as an account closure fee. We're all better off now.

Thank you Bogleheads!
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

ems2013 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:15 am In 2011 when I first started reading some of the recommendations here, spouse and I had a combined $30,660 in retirement assets and a very negative net worth. We crossed $100,00 in our retirement accounts in 2014. Within the last month we crossed $1m. I am so thankful for the information provided by this forum and for the knowledge I've gained.

With this knowledge I recommended to my employer that we switch from holding our retirement accounts at a "wealth manager" office to Vanguard. The "wealth manager" kept contributions in cash (!) and one time sent an advisor to our office to pitch a fund with front end & back end loads, as well as an account closure fee. We're all better off now.

Thank you Bogleheads!
That’s excellent on two fronts.

First, you’ve passed $1 million in retirement accounts. That’s a big accomplishment!

Second, what you learned from this Forum emboldened you to talk to your employer, who switched from a high fee provider to an ultra low fee one. You’ve saved you yourself a ton in fees over the years - and maybe more importantly, you’ve improved the financial picture for ALL of your coworkers.

Kudos to you for helping both yourself and many others with the knowledge you gained from this Forum!
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

ems2013 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:15 am In 2011 when I first started reading some of the recommendations here, spouse and I had a combined $30,660 in retirement assets and a very negative net worth. We crossed $100,00 in our retirement accounts in 2014. Within the last month we crossed $1m. I am so thankful for the information provided by this forum and for the knowledge I've gained.

Thank you Bogleheads!
Congratulations on both accomplishments :D
learning30

Post by learning30 »

learning30 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:24 pm Maxed out my 401k for the first time in 2023.
First individual account (taxable) crossed $100,000 today.
40% FXAIX / 50% VTI / 10% VXUS
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

learning30 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:03 pm
learning30 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:24 pm Maxed out my 401k for the first time in 2023.
Most excellent.  

I appreciated my taxable account much more after adding a muni fund to be used as an extended-tier EF: monthly dividends to spend/rebalance, don't add to AGI, so can't advance tax brackets.  Nothing like having ~2yrs of living expenses in bonds in taxable to make financial emergencies shrink to become financial annoyances.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Congratulations!
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Congratulations :D :D
ProsperGoalzz

Post by ProsperGoalzz »

Thank you Bogleheads!
Well done! On your own gains and especially on helping your correct and future colleagues! IMO this makes you a hero!
oldzey

Post by oldzey »

Ten years after joining the Bogleheads.org forum and applying the knowledge provided here, my portfolio has increased substantially.

My deepest gratitude goes out to Jack Bogle (RIP), Taylor Larimore, and my fellow Bogleheads for the positive difference you have all made in my life.

Sincerely,
oldzey
"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman
dboeger1

Post by dboeger1 »

I know it's not what it was even just a year ago, but we just crossed $1m in liquid assets today (just shy of $1.5m if we include home equity). I turn 33 next month. I vaguely remember posting like a month ago that I didn't expect us to cross this threshold until several months after my 33rd birthday. I just randomly happened to be updating our spreadsheet today and noticed it looked like today was going to be the day. I couldn't help but watch the market like a hawk and was pleasantly surprised by the nice little bump before closing, which got us over the line.

Something tells me the next comma is not so easy to achieve!
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

dboeger1 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 1:53 am ….we just crossed $1m in liquid assets today (just shy of $1.5m if we include home equity). I turn 33 next month.
Congratulations!
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

dboeger1 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 1:53 am I know it's not what it was even just a year ago, but we just crossed $1m in liquid assets today (just shy of $1.5m if we include home equity). I turn 33 next month.

. . . . .
Congratulations, that's outstanding at age 32 :D
HootingSloth

Post by HootingSloth »

We hit $2.5M net worth today.

When I was in my mid- to late-20s, and first thought about such things, that was the initial "number" I had in mind for financial independence. At the time, I was single and renting a one bedroom condo. Now, at 37, my wife and I own a single family home with two young kids. We've also had 30%+ cumulative inflation in the meantime. Between that, and actually enjoying my career now, I'm not about to call it quits, but it was still a nice milestone to reach.
Building TIPS ladder for all residual needs and some wants after SS, pension, and paid-off house. Other wants from 5% constant percentage from Risk Portfolio (80/20 AA w/ 80% global + 20% US-tilt)
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

HootingSloth wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 9:53 am We hit $2.5M net worth today.

When I was in my mid- to late-20s, and first thought about such things, that was the initial "number" I had in mind for financial independence. At the time, I was single and renting a one bedroom condo. Now, at 37, my wife and I own a single family home with two young kids. We've also had 30%+ cumulative inflation in the meantime. Between that, and actually enjoying my career now, I'm not about to call it quits, but it was still a nice milestone to reach.
Congratulations on your excellent accomplishment!

Yes, it’s amazing how “life happens” has the ability to change one’s perspective. You’ve gone from being a single renter to a household of four in about 10 years. Quite a change!

But at the pace you’ve accumulated wealth, you should be able to achieve the financial goals you set for yourself.

Again, congratulations.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

HootingSloth wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 9:53 am We hit $2.5M net worth today.

Congratulations :D .

Life happens and goals change.

It's great to see that you enjoy your work.
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

All 63, retired 3 years ago, and portfolio hit 3.06 million yesterday, recovered from recent pullback.

AA 93/7
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

retire2022 wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 8:55 am All 63, retired 3 years ago, and portfolio hit 3.06 million yesterday, recovered from recent pullback.

AA 93/7
That’s just great. Congratulations!

And thank you for all of your contributions to the Forum.
MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat »

Well this is a weird milestone. Left EJ 5 years ago this month after finding Bogleheads and my savings/investments have grown over 1mm. since then... started out at around $600k when I left EJ.