What do you all pay for TV and internet? rates just went up

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
momvesting

Re: What do you all pay for TV and internet? rates just went up

Post by momvesting »

$70 Google Fiber
Free MLB, Netflix, and Apple TV from TMobile
$2.99/mo Hulu and Disney Plus promo
$1.99 Peacock

I jump on and off of Paramount when they do Black Friday and/or AMEX promos. We also have had HBO and Showtime in the past when promos were running.

Sometimes my husband will jump on Sling (orange?) for a month or two if there are a bunch of college basketball games he wants to watch.
cashmoney

Post by cashmoney »

25.00 for Tmobile with lifetime rate guarantee promotion
10.00 netflix with Tmobile
0 for a shared Youtube TV account
17.00 for commercial free Youtube
Jim85

Post by Jim85 »

54.99 Fios internet
72.99 YouTube TV
Paramount freebie thru a subscription to 247 Sports website
Showtime free with Paramount
Amazon Prime free, somehow grandfathered in from a gift from my daughter
Disney+/Espn+/Hulu free with Verizon cell plan

Will occasionally get Netflix, MAX for a month to watch a specific thing(s)
TravellingTechOnFire

Post by TravellingTechOnFire »

Something I've learned from this thread is that YouTubeTV is quite expensive! Nearly $1,000/year for one source of staring at a TV a lot. Occasionally staring at a TV screen is something we still do, but I also think it's a good goal to minimize how much of my life I spend staring mindlessly at a TV screen. I have no interest in having YouTube Tv, Paramount, HBO, Disney, Showtime, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Apple TV etc etc etc. At that point, I need to find a better use of my time. Getting some of these services included for free of course sometimes makes sense and is truly a great deal, but often also means overpaying dramatically for a service such that they can afford to give something away.

Our currently subscriptions are:
Internet $59.99 after fees. 1200MBPS. I would like to get this lower and it may be possible, but overall I don't have A LOT of room to trim.
Netflix ~$15.

More than enough.

I don't have Prime and wouldn't claim its "free to use for TV since I'm using Prime services anyways", as that is just another junk fee that is easy to do without and get nearly the same service. Vigilance is required now a-days to not be sucked into endless subscriptions.

I think it's worth pointing out as part of the discussion that moving away from have so many streaming options is possibly a good thing. Keep it simple, do something better with our lives.
Yarlonkol12

Post by Yarlonkol12 »

We pay $80/month for 1gig fiber internet

We don't have any pay TV services, except Prime Video, but we primarily pay for prime for shipping benefits and the credit card rewards. Don't really use it much, although I did recently watch the fallout series

Personally I tend to play video games over watching TV, but there are a few creators on YouTube I follow/watch regularly
My posts are for entertainment purposes only.
abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz »

My Comcast bill is $260. I called to see if they would do better but they would only if I used their wireless, which wasn't going to happen. I will probably dump them after this year's Stanley Cup playoffs and try Fubo.
RJC

Post by RJC »

Fios (300/300) - $50
Netflix (no ads) - $15
Max - Free w/ AT&T
Prime Video - Free w/ Prime

I think that is it for now.
Fiddle-Bow

Post by Fiddle-Bow »

Very limited options where I live. Dropped AT&T DSL earlier this year which cost me $120 for a land line and barely 1mbps download . Started service with a regional cell company. Now I’m at 25 down and 15 up for $70. No TV or streaming. If this doesn’t work out I’m going with Starlink.
knightrider

Post by knightrider »

What's a TV?

I pay $15 for Internet as I just use my phone hotspot data. Rarely, if ever, do I get close to using my 50GB/month allowance.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

$30/mo for Starry Internet, 200 Mbps.

They are only available to apartment buildings in select cities. It's an interesting technology - the data gets transmitted to the building wirelessly using millimeter wave, similar to the fastest 5G networks, but it does not (AFAIK) use the carriers' 5G networks to do so; within the building it uses Ethernet. My speeds are very consistent, unlike services that use cellular data network to deliver "home" internet.
rallycobra

Post by rallycobra »

Internet/Phone/TV is ~$240 a month with Comcast in NJ. This is for my mother in law in her Townhouse and is her only option. This is the least expensive package that includes 125 channels with FoxNews. Originally I was quoted $280 but they found this less expensive package. She is a retired teacher with a pension, and I can't believe that she spends almost 5% of her yearly income on Comcast.
80% Total Stock Market US VTI | 15% Intermediate Treasury VGIT | 5% Gold GLDM/AAAU
mrmass

Post by mrmass »

Comcast $190 Internet and TV. Love my Tivo with the cable card.
alexbogle

Post by alexbogle »

$60 per month for comcast 500 Mbps
"Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others. It’s cheaper!” -- Jack Bogle
peterw

Post by peterw »

dred pirate wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:25 pm [2022 thread bumped in 2024 --admin LadyGeek]

So - time for the every 2 year evaluate what we are paying for TV and see if there are better options.
My bill shot up from $135 to $216, so I made the "call and ask if there are better deals" phone call.
Was able to get it down to $165. This is a little painful for me - as 4 years ago we were only paying $104 a month for the same service.
This is with AT&T Uverse and includes TV and internet - no premium channels.
I am curious how this compares to others.
A few caveats of what we "need".
We don't do a lot of streaming - so only enough to stream Netflix on one screen at a time, so don't need super fast internet - just did a speed test and it was ~20mb.
Only "special stations" we need is access to Bally Sports southeast (For Carolina Hurricanes games) and the Big10 network for college football.
Other than that- basic cable/network TV covers our needs.
We now have access to google fiber for $70 a month, but I don't want a bunch of different streaming services - Just Neflix and if we have to - one for the NHL games.
Other options are Spectrum - which is running a $100 ish deal I believe (I need to look deeper into it)
I like the simplicity of just turning on the TB and scrolling through the channels with traditional cable (and similiar) services - willing a pay a little more for this convenience.
I don't want the 2 year promo and having to change to a different service every couple of years as it seems to take half a day or more for the new service people to come in an set up service. Obviously a promo that is a lot cheaper, and then the increase goes back to what we are now would be acceptable.
Interested in what others pay for something similar.

Cheers
DP
Don't watch TV. (Stopped whe the kids came, in my 20s, and never went back.)

High-speed internet from Comcast was $38/mo until it got bundled with condo fees for $58. Don't use cable but pay for it now because most other condo residents use it.
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

I think it's about $80/month for Frontier internet.
Hulu.
We have Prime (I share it with my two adult children) and I piggyback a streaming service for a month or two at a time there. Right now it's Acorn TV.

I also enjoy digital library books for entertainment.
MillennialFinance19

Post by MillennialFinance19 »

We pay $63 for 1 gig service. This is allegedly a "lifetime rate". Guess we'll see.

We split YouTube TV with a family member for about $38 per month. So all-in -- $101.
VTI and chill until 57...
bob991

Post by bob991 »

Xfinity - $255 (1200 Mpbs internet, cable, netflix, max, peacock)
Apple - $9.99
Hulu - $8.47
Disney+ - $11.65
Amazon Prime - $12

$297/mo, $3665/yr!

I cringe every time I think about how much we're paying, its nuts.

Some premier league games are broadcast on cable only and not on peacock just to entice you to pay for both I am sure. And I'd have to find some way to watch formula 1, but we really need to cut cable out at least.

Verizon is busy running cables through my neighborhood so at least comcast will finally have some competition.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

Gulp!

$30 for internet.

Hulu for $0.99 a month.

Peacock is free with our internet.

Broadcast TV OTA and DVR with PC and software.

Apple TV for 90 days free via Target Circle.

Paramount Plus when Amex has an $11 per month rebate.

Netflix with a family member's acct, free.

Totally $32 or so a month.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, EVs (1005 EV), etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
TravellingTechOnFire

Post by TravellingTechOnFire »

RickBoglehead wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 7:36 pm Gulp!

$30 for internet.

Hulu for $0.99 a month.

Peacock is free with our internet.

Broadcast TV OTA and DVR with PC and software.

Apple TV for 90 days free via Target Circle.

Paramount Plus when Amex has an $11 per month rebate.

Netflix with a family member's acct, free.

Totally $32 or so a month.
Well done! :sharebeer
WhenDoISell

Post by WhenDoISell »

CenturyLink Fiber $60/mo
AmazonPrime $12
AppleTV+ $5
Disney+ $8
HBOMax ("free" w/AT&T) $0
Hulu $15
Netflix $18
Total ~$118

That said, as part of my personal finance journey, I maintain a spreadsheet to track all of these streaming services. Next to each service I keep a direct link to the cancel/pause page (which can be hard to find sometimes), so when summer comes I can turn off Netflix and go outside ;). It is helpful and convenient, so I put the links into a website for others to use.
Jungle

Post by Jungle »

$80/mo internet only (via cable) 300mbps down, 10 up

Thinking about switching to 5G internet through Verizon ($50-55/mo). Signal seems pretty good at my house (also 300mbps), but I still prefer a hardwired connection. I'm old school.
87% Global Stock, 7% MCV, 6% SCV
hand

Post by hand »

Jungle wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 10:50 am $80/mo internet only (via cable) 300mbps down, 10 up

Thinking about switching to 5G internet through Verizon ($50-55/mo). Signal seems pretty good at my house (also 300mbps), but I still prefer a hardwired connection. I'm old school.
We moved to 5G Verizon for a seasonal property because it was the only provider that let us turn on for only the months we needed service so *significantly* cheaper not having to pay for full year service.

I was pleasantly surprised at how well it worked for business video calls, general business internet use and recreational video streaming.
oldlongbeard

Post by oldlongbeard »

$120/month for 2 cell phones, high speed 5G home internet, Hulu, Apple TV+, and Netflix. Seniors only T-Mobile.
Topic Author
dred pirate

Post by dred pirate »

hand wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 12:16 pm
Jungle wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 10:50 am $80/mo internet only (via cable) 300mbps down, 10 up

We moved to 5G Verizon for a seasonal property because it was the only provider that let us turn on for only the months we needed service so *significantly* cheaper not having to pay for full year service.

I was pleasantly surprised at how well it worked for business video calls, general business internet use and recreational video streaming.
I recently changed to 5g because our att fiber kept getting cut by the landscapers (cable must not be buried deep enough)
in regards to turning off the service - can you turn it off for a week or two at a time and get any savings, or does it have to be the full month
WhitePuma

Post by WhitePuma »

$0.00! With a year over year change of 0%.

Got rid of TV three years ago. And I mean, the whole screen (not a service). Such a great decision! TVs are a waste of time and brain drain.
Last edited by WhitePuma on Tue May 14, 2024 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

WhitePuma wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 6:10 pm $0.00!

Got rid of TV three years ago. And I mean, the whole screen (not a service). Such a great decision! TVs are a waste of time and brain drain.
Thanks for sharing.
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

we dont pay for cable tv. we haven't for most of the 15+ years since we moved out on our own.
internet is $107.70 with all discounts, downloads speeds up to 1200 Mbps
But basically we will pay whatever it costs because XFINITY has a monopoly here and we need internet
we do stream with different services to our 55" TV and son and I like to game sometimes because unlike the above poster, I believe anything that provides some enjoyment isn't a waste. we aren't here forever so do whatever provides you fun/entertainment :sharebeer
Light weight baby!
Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi »

Dropped ATT cable in 2017. $50 a month for Xfinity Internet, we have Amazon Prime and Paramount. Hubby gets Freebee and Roku on one TV. More than enough reruns.
ClaycordJCA

Post by ClaycordJCA »

I removed an unnecessary post. Please be mindful of forum policy when posting:
At all times we must conduct ourselves in a respectful manner to other posters. Attacks on individuals, insults, name calling, trolling, baiting or other attempts to sow dissension are not acceptable.
vfinx

Post by vfinx »

Internet (700/100mbps): $75
Max (only during NBA playoffs): $16
Apple TV and Netflix come through TMobile, but should be priced in: ~$30
YouTube Premium: $22

Total: $143 :shock:
hand

Post by hand »

dred pirate wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 5:38 pm
hand wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 12:16 pm

I recently changed to 5g because our att fiber kept getting cut by the landscapers (cable must not be buried deep enough)
in regards to turning off the service - can you turn it off for a week or two at a time and get any savings, or does it have to be the full month
Last time I checked, Verizon required sending back the equipment, so not worth it for a week or month, but worthwhile for a season
toyotafan_463

Post by toyotafan_463 »

Internet:
- $25 per month
- Astound / RCN
- 300 mbps download
- Use my own modem and router

TV:
- Don't have cable
- Depending on the month, I am paying for 1-3 streaming servers (Netflix, MAX, Apple TV +, etc.)
- Usually less than $20 per month total because I go with the ad-plans
- Cancel the services that I'm not planning to use in a given month, re-sign up for them when needed
thedane

Post by thedane »

$105 /month for 15 Mbps up/down fixed wireless internet point-to-point across a 7 mile link
$120 /month for Starlink
$25 (ish) /month for SD WAN load balancing VPN service

Welcome to living off grid, in the mountains, while trying to get reliable internet for work!
valleyrock

Post by valleyrock »

I just found out about all the DVDs at our local public library. TV shows, movies, etc., etc. Can check out most things for 3 weeks, but 1 week for new things.

Still, I'm paying for Hulu Plus ($95 a month), plus Netflix and MHZChoice. So, that's about $130 a month. I've looked into Sling, but by the time you combine Orange and Blue and add the packages, it's about the same cost as HuluPlus.

Internet is another story. I had to get 1gibabyte Fios to stop the complaints in my house about slow service. That's $90 a month, but super fast, and I use the old coaxial TV cable to send wired internet around the house (MoCA adapters).

But a neighbor of mine uses Comcast Xfinity for 4 telephones and internet and TV. A kind of superbundle. Tempting.
vfinx

Post by vfinx »

thedane wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 11:56 am $105 /month for 15 Mbps up/down fixed wireless internet point-to-point across a 7 mile link
$120 /month for Starlink

Welcome to living off grid, in the mountains, while trying to get reliable internet for work!
So this setup automatically switches you to whichever has better signal?
thedane

Post by thedane »

vfinx wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 1:46 pm
thedane wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 11:56 am $105 /month for 15 Mbps up/down fixed wireless internet point-to-point across a 7 mile link
$120 /month for Starlink

A bit nerdier, but somewhat yes...

I load balance the two ISPs. But I also "prioritize" certain traffic to go out over one circuit vs the other. Example: TV (and Netflix) wil default to Starlink. If Starlink is down, it will switch to my other circuit. This happens 100% automatically.

If I am on a Teams or Zoom conference call; it will use both circuits at the exact same time. If one circuit goes offline in a video call on Teams, it will not drop as the other connection keeps the call live. I have done live video calls with 20+ people and disconnected one of my circuits and video never froze. This is using a special built in VPN. I can chose what traffic/devices/networks to router over this VPN.

I use Peplink for the above.
vfinx

Post by vfinx »

thedane wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 1:54 pm
vfinx wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 1:46 pm
$120 /month for Starlink

A bit nerdier, but somewhat yes...

I load balance the two ISPs. But I also "prioritize" certain traffic to go out over one circuit vs the other. Example: TV (and Netflix) wil default to Starlink. If Starlink is down, it will switch to my other circuit. This happens 100% automatically.

If I am on a Teams or Zoom conference call; it will use both circuits at the exact same time. If one circuit goes offline in a video call on Teams, it will not drop as the other connection keeps the call live. I have done live video calls with 20+ people and disconnected one of my circuits and video never froze. This is using a special built in VPN. I can chose what traffic/devices/networks to router over this VPN.

I use Peplink for the above.
Thanks, some of my neighbors who have critical need for connectivity to maintain employment mentioned they use Starlink as a backup. Xfinity is generally reliable lately but still prone to having short outages. I am considering adding some kind of redundancy.
rogue_economist

Post by rogue_economist »

$50 a month for internet. I don't pay for TV, and never did except a brief period where I was stuck with it in a Landlord bundle.
Society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they shall never sit in
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

WhitePuma wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 6:10 pm $0.00! With a year over year change of 0%.

How do you post here without paying for internet? From your phone, public library, parents’ house?
I have a bird that whistles | And I have birds that sing. | —Led Zeppelin
TheRoundHeadedKid

Post by TheRoundHeadedKid »

I also pay $0.00 for TV and Internet. I got rid of $80 Spectrum 300 Mbps cable Internet when my 2-year intro price of $45 expired. What I do instead is hotspot my phone or use the free Wifi at my complex's club house. Not surprisingly, I can live with 10 Mbps and 480p video. I don't own a TV. I am living better since I am spending less time glued to the screen.
All 86 Vanguard ETFs equally invested.
atdharris

Post by atdharris »

$80 for YouTube TV and $80 for AT&T Fiber internet.
wtjbatman

Post by wtjbatman »

May 2024:

Spectrum 1Gb Internet: $89 (on promo, will go to $139 in Oct)
Youtube TV: $83 (base plan + 4k upgrade)
Netflix: T-mobile member perk
Hulu/Disney+/ESPN+: $25
Peacock: $6
Paramount Plus + Showtime: $10
Fox Nation: $3
Apple TV: T-mobile member perk
Monthly Total: $216

Definitely paying for options. Good thing my wife and I are homebodies and spend a lot of time together at home!
48ANGUS05

Post by 48ANGUS05 »

We have AT&T Fiber Internet / wi-fi, no cap -- $65 per month.
(Could have it for $5 less but we don't think they need our bank account info)
We do NOT have any type of cable / pay TV service.
We receive about 25 over-the-air broadcast channels via rabbit ears!!
Other than that -- we have one Roku TV and stream only free services:
- Roku Channel
- Roku Live TV
- YouTube (free version with ads)
- Pluto
- Comet
- Weather Nation for national weather
- Occasionally some other channel we run across

We're not big TV watchers. I have absolutely no idea what is on the majority of the over-the-air broadcast channels. We stick to MeTV and Antenna TV if we watch those, along with local news and weather. YouTube is good for nature, science, wildlife, important news and weather. Roku Live lumps all the free live stuff available so we don't have to search. Pluto and Comet have ads but that's what a mute button is for!

If you have a library card, Hoopla is available as a streaming app. Movies and series which they have can be watched for free.
Parkinglotracer

Post by Parkinglotracer »

tj wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 2:48 pm
tesuzuki2002 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 2:21 pm Got away from TV years ago... it's a waaste of time. Also, at one point it was a $160/ month drag for us..

Internet is $70 a month.
How do you spend your time that you used to spend on TV?
My family member used to brag that he doesn’t have a tv … but he spends a lot of time watching shows on his laptop.
Parkinglotracer

Post by Parkinglotracer »

wtjbatman wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 4:01 pm May 2024:

Spectrum 1Gb Internet: $89 (on promo, will go to $139 in Oct)
Youtube TV: $83 (base plan + 4k upgrade)
Netflix: T-mobile member perk
Hulu/Disney+/ESPN+: $25
Peacock: $6
Paramount Plus + Showtime: $10
Fox Nation: $3
Apple TV: T-mobile member perk
Monthly Total: $216

Definitely paying for options. Good thing my wife and I are homebodies and spend a lot of time together at home!
We do internet and you tube tv too. We subscribe to the lowest level of internet service and it works fine. Is paying for extra noticeable ? I dunno.