Is anyone else periodically not receiving "New topic in" emails?

Discussions about the forum and contents
Topic Author
FinIndyGal

Is anyone else periodically not receiving "New topic in" emails?

Post by FinIndyGal »

I started noticing more than a month ago that I was periodically not receiving "New topic in" emails for some of the forums I'm subscribed to. I wasn't notified of a new topic until I received a "Reply in" email for whatever forum when the first person replied to a new topic. Has anyone else experienced this problem? If not, I need to look into this more to see if something is going on with my email account or whatever. If others have also noticed this, maybe LadyGeek or someone else can fix the issue.

I don't know the exact date this started, but it was bugging me enough that I finally started to keep track of it a month ago to see if there's a pattern. The only thing I've observed is that it happens more times on the weekends (Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays) and sometimes more than one "New topic in" email isn't received on those days. The only day it hasn't happened is on Wednesdays. The only two forums that I'm subscribed to that I didn't have this happen are Personal Consumer Issues and Forum Issues and Administration, so it's the Personal Investments, Investing - Theory, News & General and Personal Finance (Not Investing) forums in my case.

Here are the new topics that I wasn't aware of until the first person replied to them. I didn't realize that it was this many (18 in a month) until now. Thanks, Bogleheads!

viewtopic.php?t=431685

viewtopic.php?t=431498

viewtopic.php?t=431240

viewtopic.php?t=431197

viewtopic.php?t=431235

viewtopic.php?t=431063

viewtopic.php?t=431092

viewtopic.php?t=430702

viewtopic.php?t=430597

viewtopic.php?t=430354

viewtopic.php?t=430159

viewtopic.php?t=430164

viewtopic.php?t=430191

viewtopic.php?t=430073

viewtopic.php?t=429935

viewtopic.php?t=429788

viewtopic.php?t=429741

viewtopic.php?t=429707
Topic Author
FinIndyGal

Re: Is anyone else periodically not receiving "New topic in" emails?

Post by FinIndyGal »

Am I seriously the only person this is happening to? It just happened again for this new topic that was posted at 3:39 pm.
viewtopic.php?t=431811

I wasn't aware of it until I received an email at 5:17 pm (Subject line is Reply in "Personal Finance (Not Investing)") that says in the email...The "Personal Finance (Not Investing)" received a new reply to the topic "Yes, Another Roth Conversion Question but with a Twist"...

I didn't receive the "New Topic In..." email first like I usually do.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions as to what's going on? The email address I use for Boglehead emails is strictly for that purpose only. Thank you for any advice that you can give.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

For a while recently, but not just these days, I would get an email notice that there was a new post in a topic (would get these occasionally for several new posts/topics).

Except, I'd look, and there was nothing new.
Then, belatedly, I realized that I had already read those posts. The emiail notification arrived a day or *several* days after the actual post had appeared.

This happend a couple of times in the past, usually lasting a short time, and then stopping... until it happened again a few years (?) later.

I never figured it out.
At first, I thought someone had deleted their post before I could view it. That can happen also, but this is different, with several "late emails" for a while and then it stops.

I don't get notifications for each new topic; only for "replies" if I've posted to the thread or separately "subscribed".

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Topic Author
FinIndyGal

Post by FinIndyGal »

ResearchMed wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 5:53 pm For a while recently, but not just these days, I would get an email notice that there was a new post in a topic (would get these occasionally for several new posts/topics).

Except, I'd look, and there was nothing new.
Then, belatedly, I realized that I had already read those posts. The emiail notification arrived a day or *several* days after the actual post had appeared.

This happend a couple of times in the past, usually lasting a short time, and then stopping... until it happened again a few years (?) later.

I never figured it out.
At first, I thought someone had deleted their post before I could view it. That can happen also, but this is different, with several "late emails" for a while and then it stops.

I don't get notifications for each new topic; only for "replies" if I've posted to the thread or separately "subscribed".

RM
Thanks so much for your response. At least I know that I'm not the only person having a bizarre issue. This only started happening to me probably a couple of months ago, and it's been driving me crazy. I have my account set up to where I receive an email when any new topic is posted in the forums I'm subscribed to. This is how I become aware of a new topic (instead of constantly going on a forum to look), and I then subscribe to it if I'm interested.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

This has happened periodically for years. I have never seen a pattern to it. Sometimes the notification just does not work. Luckily, most of the time it does.

If you keep an eye on the notifications count - top right (next to private messages) you can sometimes find the ones you missed in there.
Topic Author
FinIndyGal

Post by FinIndyGal »

retiredjg wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 6:58 pm This has happened periodically for years. I have never seen a pattern to it. Sometimes the notification just does not work. Luckily, most of the time it does.

If you keep an eye on the notifications count - top right (next to private messages) you can sometimes find the ones you missed in there.
Thanks for the tip about the notification counts. I was concerned that something bad was happening with my email account, so I guess I feel better that it's not just me. When these periodic glitches happen, I'm notified of the new topic eventually when the first person replies and I receive the "Reply In (whatever forum)" email. There's obviously a delay this way, but at least I'm notified at some point when/if someone replies to the new topic. I think the most efficient way for me to confirm if I'm missing a new topic is to visit the forums I'm subscribed to a few times a day so I can subscribe to and receive an email (which I prefer) for any missing topics that I'm interested in. Hopefully these glitches I've been having lately will be rare or stop moving forward.