What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
vnatale

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by vnatale »

Amazon Prime

Grade: B+

A Segal movie.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/ ... 9uEgRzdm9k

End of a Gun

An ex-DEA agent's life takes an unexpected turn when he comes to the rescue of a seductive woman and finds himself entangled in a bloody game of cat and mouse with a maniacal drug lord after going on the run with her...and $2 million worth of drug money.
IMDb 3.6
1 h 26 min
X-RAY
R
Action
·
Suspense
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

PhoebeCoco wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 11:32 am The Holdovers, on Amazon Prime Video.

Watch this movie for 2 hours and 14 minutes of the definition of "dreary".
Loved The Holdovers. Thought Paul Giamatti was excellent. Highly recommend.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

MDfan wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:19 am
PhoebeCoco wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 11:32 am The Holdovers, on Amazon Prime Video.

Watch this movie for 2 hours and 14 minutes of the definition of "dreary".
Loved The Holdovers. Thought Paul Giamatti was excellent. Highly recommend.
Well, as the saying goes, “that’s what makes horse races.” I just might have to watch now to see which horse I’m betting on. Fair warning: I usually dislike Paul Giamatti.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
fabdog

Post by fabdog »

Fair warning: I usually dislike Paul Giamatti.
Then I'm guessing you wont like the movie. He's front and center for most of the film. Spends a LOT of time being a total jerk (which is of course central to the plot)

Mike
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

John Singer Sargent
Fashion and Swagger (2024)

The celebrated painter, John Singer Sargent, and many of his
paintings are profiled in this film that highlights his non-standard
portrait painting with a focus on the fashion and societal norms
of the time. His talents went beyond stodgy, unimaginative, portraits
with a unique style and manner of expression that was fascinating.
Also many great paintings of everyday people going about life, work,
and play in multiple countries.
I enjoyed this film.
Viewed at a theater.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Godzilla (2014) - Netflix

It was okay. I’ve been watching Monarch and expected more overlap with the series. It was okay. I really want to pull the trigger on the Criterion Collection of old Godzilla movies. Maybe over the holidays. I really like the original subtitled.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

fabdog wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 10:57 am
Then I'm guessing you wont like the movie. He's front and center for most of the film. Spends a LOT of time being a total jerk (which is of course central to the plot)

Mike
Maybe I should skip it. Paul Giamatti, Damian Lewis, and Maggie Siff are three of my least favorite actors. Ask me how long I lasted watching Billions.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 11:41 am

Mike
Maybe I should skip it. Paul Giamatti, Damian Lewis, and Maggie Siff are three of my least favorite actors. Ask me how long I lasted watching Billions.
I couldn’t get through the first season. My significant other was like: the show seems to be about how people with money are bad. This is boring. So we stopped half way through the first season. And she found Sideways painful to watch. So we’re not big Paul Giamatti fans either.
Last edited by rockstar on Mon May 13, 2024 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

The Beatles: Let It Be is on Disney +.

Apparently this is the first time that the 1970 film has been available for 50 years. Fascinating viewing, with the incredible talent and growing band conflict in full view.

As IMDB describes it:

The filmed account of The Beatles' attempt to recapture their old group spirit by making a back to basics album, which instead drove them further apart.

https://www.imdb.com/video/vi3840394777/
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

CardinalRule wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 12:14 pm The Beatles: Let It Be is on Disney +.

Apparently this is the first time that the 1970 film has been available for 50 years. Fascinating viewing, with the incredible talent and growing band conflict in full view.

As IMDB describes it:

The filmed account of The Beatles' attempt to recapture their old group spirit by making a back to basics album, which instead drove them further apart.

Looking forward to watching it. It did come out on VHS once. There is also a Doctor Who Beatles episode.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

Mike
Damien Lewis was very good in Band of Brothers and Homeland. Didn’t like him as much in Billions. I like Giamatti.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

MDfan wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 12:47 pm Damien Lewis was very good in Band of Brothers and Homeland. Didn’t like him as much in Billions. I like Giamatti.
Tomato Tomahto. I think Lewis was pretty good in Band of Brothers. In Homeland, he did his close miked breathy act.

To me, Giamatti is a scenery chewer.
PhoebeCoco

Post by PhoebeCoco »

Mike
I don't like Damian Lewis either (ever since the Forsyte Saga). I'll have to try watching Maggie Siff - never heard of her before now.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

PhoebeCoco wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 2:38 pm

Mike
I don't like Damian Lewis either (ever since the Forsyte Saga). I'll have to try watching Maggie Siff - never heard of her before now.
I really liked Maggie Siff in Sons of Anarchy. I thought Giamatti was really good in The Holdovers. And I thought the first season of Homeland was one of the best seasons of television I've ever watched and that Lewis was fantastic.
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

rockstar wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 12:19 pm
CardinalRule wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 12:14 pm The Beatles: Let It Be is on Disney +.

As IMDB describes it:

Looking forward to watching it. It did come out on VHS once. There is also a Doctor Who Beatles episode.
Yes, a poor quality VHS version in the 1980s. Peter Jackson edited and polished up this version nicely. I really enjoyed it.
Lab Guy

Post by Lab Guy »

1st post from a long time lurker. Good evening from Texas. This is an amazing community and has kept me on the right financial track.

Latest movie I watched was Stanley Kubrick's "Killer's Kiss" from 1955. This was his 2nd film and was short and intense. Solid B
Chv396

Post by Chv396 »

“North by Northwest”
“Stay the Course” - My Portfolio (BND, VT, VXUS, VYM) Spouse’s Portfolio (VEA, VGSH, VOO, VOT)
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

Garden State.

Synopsis: After many years away, television bit part actor Andrew Largeman (Zach Braff) returns to his small home town in New Jersey to attend his mother's funeral. There he is confronted by various aspects of the life he left behind, including his overbearing father (Ian Holm). Largeman also meets compulsive liar and amateur musician Sam (Natalie Portman), with whom he feels an immediate connection. Together with several other figures from his past, Largeman heals old wounds and forges new friendships.

Saw on Hulu.

Didn’t like it. Good music. Good cast. But the movie just didn’t make sense to me.
Most experiences are better imagined.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Lab Guy wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 7:17 pm 1st post from a long time lurker. Good evening from Texas. This is an amazing community and has kept me on the right financial track.

Latest movie I watched was Stanley Kubrick's "Killer's Kiss" from 1955. This was his 2nd film and was short and intense. Solid B
Welcome to the forum :D
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

LadyGeek wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:25 am Shrek, the original 2001 release on DVD. The character voices include Mike Myers, Eddie Murphy, Cameron Diaz, and John Lithgow. I thoroughly enjoyed watching this movie again.
We just watched the original Shrek movie (Netflix) after our 6 YO granddaughter visited. I can't believe it was the 1st viewing for me. One of the very few movies I've recently watched that I enjoyed and watched to the end.

On to Shrek 2!
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

CardinalRule wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 5:39 pm

As IMDB describes it:

Yes, a poor quality VHS version in the 1980s. Peter Jackson edited and polished up this version nicely. I really enjoyed it.
This is complementary to the previous Peter Jackson polished TV mini-series of 2021, The Beatles: Get Back. There's some overlap, e.g. the rooftop concert. We greatly enjoyed both.
Chv396

Post by Chv396 »

“Good Morning Vietnam”, (1987)
“Stay the Course” - My Portfolio (BND, VT, VXUS, VYM) Spouse’s Portfolio (VEA, VGSH, VOO, VOT)
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Emma, on Amazon Prime.

This is the 1996 version starring Gwyneth Paltrow. The movie is a comedy based on an 1815 novel by Jane Austen. Emma tries matchmaking for her friends.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

As IMDB describes it:

Saw it at the movies around 1971.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

Amazon Prime

Grade: A+

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/ ... 7CEgRzdm9k

Oxy-Morons

When Jason and Danny's mom gets a new prescription, they find themselves building an unsteady empire at the height of the Oxycontin epidemic.
IMDb 5.6
1 h 50 min
X-RAY
18+
Action
·
Suspense
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

Just saw the new Planet of the Apes in the theater. It was 'meh'. The CGI was impressive but I found the story somewhat boring and predictable. It was a good theater movie in that it was cool to see on a big screen but I dont know that I would recommend it. FWIW, I've liked most of the movies in the series up til now.
You Know What I Mean

Post by You Know What I Mean »

Bylo Selhi wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:01 am

As IMDB describes it:

This is complementary to the previous Peter Jackson polished TV mini-series of 2021, The Beatles: Get Back. There's some overlap, e.g. the rooftop concert. We greatly enjoyed both.
I saw it twice in theaters in 1970. Loved it, of course. And I have a grainy VHS tape. I'll be ordering the Peter Jackson-restored version.

Since Peter Jackson did not want to duplicate too much of the "Let It Be" film scenes in "Get Back," he didn't include "Besame Mucho." I love that, with Paul hamming it up and everyone having a good time. This is a link to a poor quality clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJwAGFgcVdo

Also, I really want to see the restored three-song sequence of "Two of Us," "Let It Be," and "The Long and Winding Road." In the original film, those (indoor) performances are shown out-of-sequence, just before the rooftop concert at the end. I love those, especially the simple piano and vocal arrangement of "The Long and Winding Road." Tastes differ, but I prefer the simple version to Phil Spector's heavily orchestrated one. Sometimes, less is more.
"Well, she was just seventeen, You Know What I Mean, and the way she looked... was way beyond compare."
littlerfish

Post by littlerfish »

"The Mark of Zorro", huge 1940 blockbuster, on DVD from the library.

Excellent performance from Tyrone Power as Don Diego Vega, who returns to LA from military service in Spain only to find his father deposed as alcalde, replaced with the despicable Luis Quintero, a puppet of the evil Captain Esteban Pasquale (Basil Rathbone), a sword-twirling sadist who is also seducing Quintero's wife while he squeezes pesos from the peons. What will become of Quintero's vulnerable young daughter, Lolita, played by the 16-year-old Linda Darnell? Diego creates an alter-ego, "El Zorro", to ride the night and correct injustice. The climactic rapier duel between Diego and Esteban is classic. A great movie overall!

Eugene Palette, one of the great character actors, plays the priest. And "El Zorro" is apparently the inspiration for Batman.
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

Sharing a link for "ADFF: Online" for forum members who may like architecture and design films.

We have enjoyed ADFF for years. There are two films in the lineup beginning today, both of which we have yet to see. (I won't bother mentioning the prior films we saw in the current festival, as ADFF is no longer screening them.)

https://adfilmfest.com/adff-online/
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

Last Goal Wins.

Synopsis: With the 2014 World Cup qualifiers approaching, down-on-his-luck coach Thomas Rongen tries to turn the American Samoa soccer team into winners.

Saw on Hulu.

Overall, I’d say it is meh. Lost interest in it with about 20 minutes left in the movie. 5 out of 10, at best.
Most experiences are better imagined.
Mad Hatter

Post by Mad Hatter »

The Seventh Continent, by Austrian director Michael Haneke. An Austrian family reject materialism and the suburban rat race. The decision leads to horrifying consequences. On TCM and Criterion DVD. The movie is in three parts, each depicting a day in successive years. The first two parts are often like the camera has been bolted to the floor, observing the minutiae of their lives. It's not until the third part that the weirdness sinks its teeth in and doesn't let go. Based, we are told, on a true story. There's an interview with Haneke, in which he appears to be a cheerful, rather charming sort of guy. Bonus: The most unexpected appearance of Meat Loaf, who was very popular in Europe, in a movie ever.
turtlebug

Post by turtlebug »

Heidi (1937) with Shirley Temple, Jean Hersholt, Mary Nash, etc.

Very sweet little film (although I didn't like the dream sequence). Hersholt was very good as the grandfather.
Tdubs

Post by Tdubs »

Tender Mercies

Won Robert Duvall a Best Actor academy award.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

Rocketman, I think on Hulu. Wikipedia describes it as a "2019 biographical jukebox musical drama film".

Watchable, good songs, but not Elton singing them, so just OK. Interesting presentation of Elton's relationships with Bernie Taupin and others.

I did have volume problems. Is this the movie or my setup? I had to listen to dialog at a 50+ setting, then the music would play and I had to go down to 25! We have a Sony sound bar and woofer. Tried to adjust the settings w/o any luck.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

heartwood wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 12:07 pm Rocketman, I think on Hulu. Wikipedia describes it as a "2019 biographical jukebox musical drama film".

Watchable, good songs, but not Elton singing them, so just OK. Interesting presentation of Elton's relationships with Bernie Taupin and others.

I did have volume problems. Is this the movie or my setup? I had to listen to dialog at a 50+ setting, then the music would play and I had to go down to 25! We have a Sony sound bar and woofer. Tried to adjust the settings w/o any luck.
I can't speak to your exact situation, but I run into wide variations in volume as well. It is frustrating. I suspect there are some inadequate or mismatched standards somewhere in the whole process!
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
KarlJ

Post by KarlJ »

Mike
I usually like Paul Giamatti movies. I viewed The Holdovers on Prime and enjoyed it even more than Sideways.
JPM

Post by JPM »

God's Pocket on Amazon

Story is an unsubtle jumbled depiction of hardscrabble low rent working class life in Philadelphia, unflattering to almost all characters portrayed.

Philip S Hoffman, John Turturro, Eddie Marsan star, several other good actors also played.

If you grew up in an environment where gangsters were thought of as likely to be of more reliable help than the police when you were in trouble, you might like this despite its darkness.
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

jjunk wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 9:53 am Just saw the new Planet of the Apes in the theater. It was 'meh'. The CGI was impressive but I found the story somewhat boring and predictable. It was a good theater movie in that it was cool to see on a big screen but I dont know that I would recommend it. FWIW, I've liked most of the movies in the series up til now.
Is the third in the series?

Or a second remake of the original?

I've only seen the original (at the movies).
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

You Know What I Mean wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 9:57 am

As IMDB describes it:

I saw it twice in theaters in 1970. Loved it, of course. And I have a grainy VHS tape. I'll be ordering the Peter Jackson-restored version.

Since Peter Jackson did not want to duplicate too much of the "Let It Be" film scenes in "Get Back," he didn't include "Besame Mucho." I love that, with Paul hamming it up and everyone having a good time. This is a link to a poor quality clip:

Also, I really want to see the restored three-song sequence of "Two of Us," "Let It Be," and "The Long and Winding Road." In the original film, those (indoor) performances are shown out-of-sequence, just before the rooftop concert at the end. I love those, especially the simple piano and vocal arrangement of "The Long and Winding Road." Tastes differ, but I prefer the simple version to Phil Spector's heavily orchestrated one. Sometimes, less is more.
The Long and Winding Road is one of the few, few Beatles songs that I disliked.
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

heartwood wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 12:07 pm Rocketman, I think on Hulu. Wikipedia describes it as a "2019 biographical jukebox musical drama film".

I watched it on my iPad via Amazon Prime. I thought it was a tremendous movie in every way. As soon as I finished watching it I went to Amazon to buy 7 books on Elton John.
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

Amazon Prime

Grade: B+

A Teacher

In this provocative psychological thriller a young high school teacher unravels after she begins a torrid love affair with one of her teenage students. What starts as an innocent filng soon becomes dangerous and destructive.
IMDb 4.8
1 h 15 min
X-RAY
16+
Drama
·
Suspense
·
Anxious
·
Passionate
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

Amazon Prime

Grade: A

A depiction of a typical "father / daughter" relationship.

Scarlett

A college student must draw upon all the skills her spy-father taught her to protect herself and save her father from weapons dealers.
IMDb 5.1
1 h 43 min
X-RAY
16+
Action
·
Drama
·
Exciting
·
Frightening
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Animal House, on Netflix.

This is the funniest movie ever made. It's gross, disgusting and juvenile.
novicemoney

Post by novicemoney »

vnatale wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 7:36 pm

A little off topic, but there is a remixed CD version of the Let it Be album called "Let It Be...Naked". It despenses with the Phil Spector's "wall of sound" treatment and is a little more true to the original concept of the album which was a stripped down "back to basics" music without elaborate studio effects. McCartney pushed this version although I read that Lennon liked the Spector mix as did the other two. It is interesting and I go back and forth on which versions I like. Haven't seen the film but I suspect that the Naked album is closer to what one hears in the movie. YMMV.
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

vnatale wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 7:34 pm
jjunk wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 9:53 am Just saw the new Planet of the Apes in the theater. It was 'meh'. The CGI was impressive but I found the story somewhat boring and predictable. It was a good theater movie in that it was cool to see on a big screen but I dont know that I would recommend it. FWIW, I've liked most of the movies in the series up til now.
Is the third in the series?

Or a second remake of the original?

I've only seen the original (at the movies).
It's the third (I think) movie in the current remake of the original series following the Ceasar bloodline. I liked the first two but this one wasnt great IMO. That said, others have liked it a lot, so it could just be me. /shrug
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

American Graffiti, on Netflix.

This is a nostalgia fest, with great 1960s music and classic cars, starring Richard Dreyfuss, Ron Howard, Cindy Williams, and Mackenzie Phillips.
littlerfish

Post by littlerfish »

ruralavalon wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 10:56 am American Graffiti, on Netflix.

This is a nostalgia fest, with great 1960s music and classic cars, starring Richard Dreyfuss, Ron Howard, Cindy Williams, and Mackenzie Phillips.
1973. The movie that made George Lucas famous. Also with Harrison Ford and Wolfman Jack. If you liked "Happy Days", you'll like this.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

vnatale wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 7:36 pm

Interesting. It's in my top 3 of Beatles songs.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

ruralavalon wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 10:56 am American Graffiti, on Netflix.

One of the very first movies I saw in a theater as a kid. Loved it.