Home Cocktail Bar Bottle Essentials -- $1K limit

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
LCX2000

Re: Home Cocktail Bar Bottle Essentials -- $1K limit

Post by LCX2000 »

I'm a wine drinker. But if I ever have anything other than wine it is either Hendrick's shaken or Clase Azul also shaken, for sipping. Both missing from the interesting lists posted already. My brother loves a Manhattan using a smoker kit. I am going to tell him about the Black Manhattan.
zeeke42

Post by zeeke42 »

AllMostThere wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 9:39 am Wow, some very interesting and thoughtful comments. Obviously, our BH brothers and sisters enjoy our libations. :beer
Other than a few bottles of wine and some sipping bourbon, for guests, I don't think I could work my way through $1K of booze in 10 years!!! :wink:
The nice thing is spirits have a near indefinite shelf life. Other than opportunity cost and storage space, having a huge variety doesn't cost any more than drinking the same amount of the same thing every week. Large alcohol collection is a very small part of my emergency fund. Can drink away layoff sorrows without any cash outlay for quite a while. :sharebeer
Topic Author
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

LCX2000 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:06 am I'm a wine drinker. But if I ever have anything other than wine it is either Hendrick's shaken or Clase Azul also shaken, for sipping. Both missing from the interesting lists posted already. My brother loves a Manhattan using a smoker kit. I am going to tell him about the Black Manhattan.
What are you shaking with the Hendrick's?
Global stocks, IG/HY bonds, gold & digital assets at market weights 75% / 19% / 6% || LMP: TIPS ladder
LCX2000

Post by LCX2000 »

watchnerd wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 4:09 pm
LCX2000 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:06 am I'm a wine drinker. But if I ever have anything other than wine it is either Hendrick's shaken or Clase Azul also shaken, for sipping. Both missing from the interesting lists posted already. My brother loves a Manhattan using a smoker kit. I am going to tell him about the Black Manhattan.
Just shaken with ice. Basically a small martini without any vermouth, poured into a small sipping glass. I like the taste of Hendrick's, very cold--usually some micro ice chips left from the shaking. The first I ever had was at Jean-Georges' Nougatine. Though those are not served in a small glass. :D

I don't like the taste of any other gins, or vodkas, for that matter.
Topic Author
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

LCX2000 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 4:18 pm
Just shaken with ice. Basically a small martini without any vermouth, poured into a small sipping glass. I like the taste of Hendrick's, very cold--usually some micro ice chips left from the shaking. The first I ever had was at Jean-Georges' Nougatine. Though those are not served in a small glass. :D

A shaken gin martini???

Sir, that breaks the stirred vs shaken rules. :wink:
Global stocks, IG/HY bonds, gold & digital assets at market weights 75% / 19% / 6% || LMP: TIPS ladder
winterfan

Post by winterfan »

Sometimes it's nice having some liqueurs on hand. I have things like Benedictine, Cointreau, Chambord, Luxardo and Creme de Cacao in my cabinet. They make accessible cocktails for those who like a lighter drink (i.e. something served in a coupe glass).
jdb

Post by jdb »

Cute thread. Gin Martini drinker here. Stirred not shaken please. Also like Margaritas. Shaken not stirred. Silver reposados, whatever on sale. The Botanist, Hendricks and Plymouth gin are the essentials for martinis. Also Tanqueray or Bombay Sapphire for some guests. Very little vermouth, my favorite is dry vermouth di Torino. Enjoy and good luck.
Last edited by jdb on Sat May 18, 2024 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

jdb wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 4:45 pm Cute thread. Gin Martini drinker here. Stirred not shaken please. Also like Margaritas. Shaken not stirred.
That's the usual rule.

Cocktails with juice (e.g. lime, lemon, etc) get shaken.

Cocktails without juice get stirred.
LCX2000

Post by LCX2000 »

watchnerd wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 4:22 pm
LCX2000 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 4:18 pm

A shaken gin martini???

Sir, that breaks the stirred vs shaken rules. :wink:
That made me laugh. And if shaken gin gets you going about breaking rules, one time (with standard NYC close together tables) the woman of the couple sitting next to us ordered a Tequila Martini. :happy
JakeyLee
Location: From sea to shining sea. But mostly the south west.

Post by JakeyLee »

Meh.. I’d skip the blanco and go with a solid reposado. No need for a year aged anejo. But there’s so much value out there with a classic reposado.. 2-6 months aged in that oak barrel brings life to so many “classic” tequila drinks. That slight touch of oak barrel smoke. And cheap. Heck, a bottle of Cazadores will bring so much joy to the casual drinker. :beer
“On balance, the financial system subtracts value from society” | -John Bogle
Topic Author
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

LCX2000 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 4:53 pm That made me laugh. And if shaken gin gets you going about breaking rules, one time (with standard NYC close together tables) the woman of the couple sitting next to us ordered a Tequila Martini. :happy
Tequila martini is fine as long as she didn't shake it. ;)
Topic Author
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

JakeyLee wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 4:54 pm Meh.. I’d skip the blanco and go with a solid reposado. No need for a year aged anejo. But there’s so much value out there with a classic reposado.. 2-6 months aged in that oak barrel brings life to so many “classic” tequila drinks. That slight touch of oak barrel smoke. And cheap. Heck, a bottle of Cazadores will bring so much joy to the casual drinker. :beer
I prefer my tequilas to be additive-free, though, regardless of blanco, reposado, or anejo

I'd rank Arete above Cazadores for casual / cheap.
LCX2000

Post by LCX2000 »

watchnerd wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 4:55 pm
LCX2000 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 4:53 pm That made me laugh. And if shaken gin gets you going about breaking rules, one time (with standard NYC close together tables) the woman of the couple sitting next to us ordered a Tequila Martini. :happy
Shaken! :D
Topic Author
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

LCX2000 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 4:57 pm
I'd question the whole establishment's bona vides at that point
LCX2000

Post by LCX2000 »

watchnerd wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 4:59 pm
LCX2000 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 4:57 pm
I'd question the whole establishment's bona vides at that point
:D :D
CRC_Volunteer

Post by CRC_Volunteer »

watchnerd wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 4:31 pm
bloom2708 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 4:26 pm Spend $1k on a nice bicycle. A MUCH better hobby. Alkohol is a terrible hobby. I know. I'm da party pooper.
Can't really entertain house guests from a bicycle.
Unless you are doing a clown act...
"Let me explain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up." (Inigo Montoya) | | 65/30/05 | 53% VTSAX | 12% VTIAX | 30% VAIPX | 5% CASH
Topic Author
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

Jrob6 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:50 pm If you can track down Luxardo Triplum (their Triple Sec), it's a huge step up from base triple sec without going all the way to Cointreau. Fantastic with a Sidecar - transforms the cocktail. Only worth if for a Margarita if you're using better than average tequila.

I also love Aviations, so Crème de Violette for me.

Also worth investing in some great bitters - Dashfire has a great range. The right bitters can make all the difference between 'meh' and great.
I usually use Cointreau, but always on the lookout for something that gives me most of what Cointreau offers, but cheaper.

But I've never even heard of a Luxardo triple sec. I can't find it on Total Wine or Bev Mo. Where did you find it?
Topic Author
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

barnaclebob wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:57 pm Sweet Vermouth: Carpano Antica. Expensive ($30/bottle) but easily the best. I wish costco still carried it.
In most cocktails, using standard ratios, I actually prefer Cocchi di Torino.

When I used Carpano Antica, I feel like I need to adjust the ratios. For example, if I'm making a Negroni, I'll use 3/4 portion of Carpano rather than 1 portion of other red vermouths.

Same for Manhattans.

That being said, if I'm going to drink it solo on the rocks, I prefer Carpano Antica.
Topic Author
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

Ketawa wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 1:02 pm
Rittenhouse Rye
Wild Turkey 101
I'm really torn about Rittenhouse.

On the one hand, I think it tastes good. The bottled in bond proof stands up in cocktails.

On the other hand, it's *barely* a rye whiskey. It's 51% rye, the legal minimum to be rye. So it tastes too me a little closer to bourbon than a higher rye mash bill.

I like the 95% ryes from Bulleit and George Dickel, but I'll admit, there is something special about the Rittenhouse.

I'm torn.
El Greco

Post by El Greco »

Caprinhas are a big hit with my guests, so I always keep a bottle of Cachaca around, preferably Leblon
HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce »

Try a wet tequila martini with two parts reposado to one part Cocchi Americano. 4 dashes of orange bitters, serve with a lemon twist. Optionally add a heavy dash of Strega.
watchnerd wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:20 pm
Jrob6 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:50 pm If you can track down Luxardo Triplum (their Triple Sec), it's a huge step up from base triple sec without going all the way to Cointreau. Fantastic with a Sidecar - transforms the cocktail. Only worth if for a Margarita if you're using better than average tequila.

I also love Aviations, so Crème de Violette for me.

Also worth investing in some great bitters - Dashfire has a great range. The right bitters can make all the difference between 'meh' and great.
I usually use Cointreau, but always on the lookout for something that gives me most of what Cointreau offers, but cheaper.

But I've never even heard of a Luxardo triple sec. I can't find it on Total Wine or Bev Mo. Where did you find it?
Gran Torres is an excellent Spanish orange liqueur, but I haven't been able to find it in a while. Used to be about the same price as Cointreau. Pierre Ferrand is also usually a bit cheaper than Cointreau and, IMO, superior.

Rhum Clement Creole Shrubb is fun if you want to try an orange liqueur with a rhum agricole base spirit.
watchnerd wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:23 pm
barnaclebob wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:57 pm Sweet Vermouth: Carpano Antica. Expensive ($30/bottle) but easily the best. I wish costco still carried it.

When I used Carpano Antica, I feel like I need to adjust the ratios. For example, if I'm making a Negroni, I'll use 3/4 portion of Carpano rather than 1 portion of other red vermouths.

Same for Manhattans.

That being said, if I'm going to drink it solo on the rocks, I prefer Carpano Antica.
Try Punt e Mes. Annoying that it only comes in 1L bottles but it's sort of a less-intense Carpano Antica. It's made by the same distiller in Italy.
watchnerd wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:29 pm
Ketawa wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 1:02 pm
Rittenhouse Rye
Wild Turkey 101
I'm really torn about Rittenhouse.

On the one hand, I think it tastes good. The bottled in bond proof stands up in cocktails.

On the other hand, it's *barely* a rye whiskey. It's 51% rye, the legal minimum to be rye. So it tastes too me a little closer to bourbon than a higher rye mash bill.

I like the 95% ryes from Bulleit and George Dickel, but I'll admit, there is something special about the Rittenhouse.

I'm torn.
Rittenhouse gets the job done, who cares about the mashbill? It'll serve in just about any whiskey-based drink you care to mix and you can't beat the price, plus it's one of the few on the market that's not an IGP mix.
Topic Author
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

HawkeyePierce wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:49 pm

Rittenhouse gets the job done, who cares about the mashbill? It'll serve in just about any whiskey-based drink you care to mix and you can't beat the price, plus it's one of the few on the market that's not an IGP mix.
It just doesn't taste rye-y enough for my taste, and for historical cocktails I like a more rye dominant flavor.
windaar

Post by windaar »

watchnerd wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:20 pmI usually use Cointreau, but always on the lookout for something that gives me most of what Cointreau offers, but cheaper.
DeKuyper O3 Orange Liqueur is almost identical to Cointreau and much less expensive.
Nobody knows nothing.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

watchnerd wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 1:02 am

It just doesn't taste rye-y enough for my taste, and for historical cocktails I like a more rye dominant flavor.
Have you tried Old Forester 100 Proof Rye? It has 65% rye in its mashbill and 20% barley, leaving only 15% for corn.
Topic Author
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 6:03 am

Have you tried Old Forester 100 Proof Rye? It has 65% rye in its mashbill and 20% barley, leaving only 15% for corn.
I've only had the regular Old Forester
Horologium

Post by Horologium »

Randolph Mortimer wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:29 pm
Any vodka really...we like Costco Kirkland brand French vodka
This is what we get. I’ve been told that it is actually Grey Goose.
MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat »

Probably you won't be able to find it, but if you do give a bottle of North Fork (92 Proof Rye) out of Glacier Distilling Co. Pretty reasonable cost $45ish and has a really nice spicey rye flavor. My go to for old fashioned, improved whiskey cocktail, sipping etc. I like Whistle Pig 10 too, but not the price.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Horologium wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 8:16 am
You have been told wrong:
the label for Kirkland Signature French Vodka indicates that it was bottled by Distillerie de Gayant in Douai, France, and imported by Misa Imports in Dallas. While Distillerie de Gayant is a subsidiary of a subsidiary—it’s owned by Terroirs Distillers, which is in turn owned by Picard Vins & Spiritueux—none of these French companies appears to be connected to Grey Goose or any other major mass-market vodka sold in the U.S. Kirkland is, in other words, uniquely Kirkland. None of the French companies responded to requests for comment.

But the answer is: Costco does get its vodka from somewhere else, and that somewhere else is not Grey Goose.
https://slate.com/human-interest/2024/0 ... goose.html

Which is a good thing, since I actively dislike Grey Goose. The Kirkland French (and American) are my main go-to as well. Though my favorite hands-down is CH Distillery's Peppercorn Vodka.
Horologium

Post by Horologium »

lazydavid wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 8:44 am
Horologium wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 8:16 am
You have been told wrong:
the label for Kirkland Signature French Vodka indicates that it was bottled by Distillerie de Gayant in Douai, France, and imported by Misa Imports in Dallas. While Distillerie de Gayant is a subsidiary of a subsidiary—it’s owned by Terroirs Distillers, which is in turn owned by Picard Vins & Spiritueux—none of these French companies appears to be connected to Grey Goose or any other major mass-market vodka sold in the U.S. Kirkland is, in other words, uniquely Kirkland. None of the French companies responded to requests for comment.

But the answer is: Costco does get its vodka from somewhere else, and that somewhere else is not Grey Goose.
https://slate.com/human-interest/2024/0 ... goose.html

Which is a good thing, since I actively dislike Grey Goose. The Kirkland French (and American) are my main go-to as well. Though my favorite hands-down is CH Distillery's Peppercorn Vodka.
Interesting. Thank you for this info.
valleyrock

Post by valleyrock »

I'd like to back up... (or start another thread if there isn't one?)

I need a list of drinks to order at my neighborhood bar so as to get educated on all this. Is there such a list on this site? I imagine various categories, like liquor types, but still, within those, what are the common drinks to request, when to ask for a name brand (always?) for the sophisticated as well as the unsophisticated pallete.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

Randolph Mortimer wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:39 pm Also....not a bottle but Luxardo cherries are a must for any home coctail bar, IMO
100%

Also a good shaker, and large ice cube tray.
MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat »

valleyrock wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 12:23 pm I'd like to back up... (or start another thread if there isn't one?)

I need a list of drinks to order at my neighborhood bar so as to get educated on all this. Is there such a list on this site? I imagine various categories, like liquor types, but still, within those, what are the common drinks to request, when to ask for a name brand (always?) for the sophisticated as well as the unsophisticated pallete.
Go with the classics. I'd start here.

https://www.liquor.com/classic-cocktails-5217936
Topic Author
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

valleyrock wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 12:23 pm I'd like to back up... (or start another thread if there isn't one?)

There are better sites to go to for Cocktail Eduction 101.

But, generally speaking, the definition of a cocktail is base spirit + modifiers.

Beyond that, we start to get into cocktail history and families of cocktails such as sours (spirit, citrus juice, sweetener) and daisies (spirit, citrus juice, orange liqueur).

The daiquiri, for example, is actually a type of rum sour.

And the margarita is actually a tequila daisy.

But there are whole books on this topic. David Wondrich's "Imbibe!" is a great one.
valleyrock

Post by valleyrock »

watchnerd wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 12:29 pm

There are better sites to go to for Cocktail Eduction 101.

But, generally speaking, the definition of a cocktail is base spirit + modifiers.

Beyond that, we start to get into cocktail history and families of cocktails such as sours (spirit, citrus juice, sweetener) and daisies (spirit, citrus juice, orange liqueur).

The daiquiri, for example, is actually a type of rum sour.

And the margarita is actually a tequila daisy.

But there are whole books on this topic. David Wondrich's "Imbibe!" is a great one.
Perfect. I will get this book and inhale... or imbibe it!
rule of law guy

Post by rule of law guy »

nice line up. when should I come over?

best gin imo is one that is often overlooked, nolet's silver. yes, the dutch, but made as per British dry
Never wrong, unless my wife tells me that I am.
Dabeachi

Post by Dabeachi »

I just want to post my thoughts on your tequila selection. Siete leguas is a great choice, but it's expensive. I like to drink Arette. It's the best cheap tequila anyone can buy. It's 100% agave and certified as additive free according to tequila matchmaker.

You also should get some agave nectar. A few essentials for my bar: lime squeezer and a quality shaker. I've had issues with cheap shakers: sticking together, spraying the counter while shaking, etc.

Also, here's my favorite skinny margaritas recipe: 1 and 1/2 shot of tequila, 1/2 shot of triple sec and 1/2 shot of agave nectar, and the juice of 1 lime. Put all that into a shaker and pour it over ice.

My current favorite drink is a ranch water. Fill acup with ice , pour in 1-2 shots of tequila, the juice of 1 lime, and then fill the cup with plain topo chico (or any sparkling water of your choice) and enjoy.
SpaghettiLegs

Post by SpaghettiLegs »

Cool thread, I’ve learned some things, which is easy as I don’t know much.

A regular in my lineup is Domaine de Canton ginger liqueur. I mix it with bourbon and a dash of lemon juice. Also great alone as a digestif. Added bonus is bottle looks cool.
winterfan

Post by winterfan »

SpaghettiLegs wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 3:17 pm Cool thread, I’ve learned some things, which is easy as I don’t know much.

A regular in my lineup is Domaine de Canton ginger liqueur. I mix it with bourbon and a dash of lemon juice. Also great alone as a digestif. Added bonus is bottle looks cool.
There are a lot of interesting drink recipes on their site. I've never tried this and I think I'll pick up a bottle next time I'm at the store.
Topic Author
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

rule of law guy wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 1:02 pm nice line up. when should I come over?

best gin imo is one that is often overlooked, nolet's silver. yes, the dutch, but made as per British dry
I like Nolet's a lot, but I actually prefer to drink it straight, rather than mix with it.

It has some floral notes that can get easily lost in a cocktail.

Genever is what I'm really missing, but Bols stopped being carried locally.
Topic Author
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

Dabeachi wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 1:27 pm I just want to post my thoughts on your tequila selection. Siete leguas is a great choice, but it's expensive. I like to drink Arette. It's the best cheap tequila anyone can buy. It's 100% agave and certified as additive free according to tequila matchmaker.

You also should get some agave nectar. A few essentials for my bar: lime squeezer and a quality shaker. I've had issues with cheap shakers: sticking together, spraying the counter while shaking, etc.

Also, here's my favorite skinny margaritas recipe: 1 and 1/2 shot of tequila, 1/2 shot of triple sec and 1/2 shot of agave nectar, and the juice of 1 lime. Put all that into a shaker and pour it over ice.
Sorry, I'm just not a fan of agave nectar.

I much prefer old school ratio of 2:1:1 tequila / lime / triple sec (usually Cointreau, but lately trying Royale Orange), nothing else.

Or for a mezcal/tequila margarita, swapping 2 parts tequila for 1 part tequila, 1 part mezcal.

Agree on Arete's value, although I usually use it for mixing, but certainly decent enough to sip.
Last edited by watchnerd on Thu May 16, 2024 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
260chrisb

Post by 260chrisb »

Dos Maderas 5+3 double aged rum.
Maggies Farm Spiced Rum. (if you can find it)
Bacoo 5 year rum.
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

watchnerd wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 4:51 pm
jdb wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 4:45 pm Cute thread. Gin Martini drinker here. Stirred not shaken please. Also like Margaritas. Shaken not stirred.
That's the usual rule.

Cocktails with juice (e.g. lime, lemon, etc) get shaken.

Cocktails without juice get stirred.
Most useful thing I’ve learned today.
Let us know what time to come by tomorrow night.

The default cocktail for us is gin and sparkling water.
If we feel like some sweetness, a little fever tree thrown in.
Check out Whitely Neill gins. Some cool flavors like ginger, rhubarb etc.

My go to with friends is an old fashioned. That massive one block of ice makes the difference. I add bitters and the luxardo cherry or two. Let it sit for a bit vs. adding water or other sweetness.
Any bourbon does the job. Bulleit rye is also good.

I’ve made a tequila, Mexican whisky and Cointrou mixture a few times which the wife liked on Cinqo de Mayo.
I shook the damn thing but it turned out good!
I think I called it a Mexican fashion.

I’ve not heard of a lot in this thread. This is like my head spinning reading the TIPs thread! :wink:
“At some point you are trading time you will never get back for money you will never spend.“ | “How do you want to spend the best remaining year of your life?“
Topic Author
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

Wannaretireearly wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 11:20 pm
I’ve made a tequila, Mexican whisky and Cointrou mixture a few times which the wife liked on Cinqo de Mayo.

I’ve not heard of a lot in this thread. This is like my head spinning reading the TIPs thread! :wink:
Mexican whisky?
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

watchnerd wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 12:06 am
Wannaretireearly wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 11:20 pm

Mexican whisky?
Abasolo

https://www.totalwine.com/spirits/scotc ... lsrc=aw.ds
“At some point you are trading time you will never get back for money you will never spend.“ | “How do you want to spend the best remaining year of your life?“
Jeepergeo

Post by Jeepergeo »

Amer Picon and a nice brandy would be nice additions.
rule of law guy

Post by rule of law guy »

watchnerd wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 9:17 pm
rule of law guy wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 1:02 pm nice line up. when should I come over?

I like Nolet's a lot, but I actually prefer to drink it straight, rather than mix with it.

It has some floral notes that can get easily lost in a cocktail.

Genever is what I'm really missing, but Bols stopped being carried locally.
nolets bottle in freezer as I text. just a little ice in the glass to maintain proper temperature. drinking a fine gin straight qualifies as a cocktail in my book
Never wrong, unless my wife tells me that I am.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

AllMostThere wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 9:39 am Wow, some very interesting and thoughtful comments. Obviously, our BH brothers and sisters enjoy our libations. :beer
Other than a few bottles of wine and some sipping bourbon, for guests, I don't think I could work my way through $1K of booze in 10 years!!! :wink:
This. Wine and beer are only liquor I have.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

watchnerd wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:23 pm

Same for Manhattans.

Any advice on how long vermouth keeps after opening. I usually buy mine in 375s and store in the fridge.

If it matters, I'm usually buying the Carpano Antica. I'll have to give the Cocchi a try. I've bought their Americano before.

I'm not real big on Manhattans, mostly Boulevardiers and Negronis.

I don't think I'd had a Black Manhattan before and drank one last night when we were out for dinner. I liked it.
Chardo

Post by Chardo »

When I moved last year, I had to toss or give away lots of nearly full bottles that rarely get used. Stick to a few staple items that people actually drink. A good vodka, gin, bourbon, rum, and tequila. Maybe 2 selections of each if you want. Every bourbon drinker will be happy with Woodford or Makers, every vodka drinker will be happy with Belvedere or Tito's, etc., even if it's not their preferred brand.
jayjayc

Post by jayjayc »

I happened to click on Wirecutter's review for vodka and this is their 1st sentence:

"From our first round of tasting until our last, Kirkland Signature American Vodka was unanimously our favorite of the bunch."