[On-going Scams - Post them here]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
roamingzebra

Re: [On-going Scams - Post them here]

Post by roamingzebra »

sport wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:41 pm I do have one concern however. When the bank sends the alerts, they include my account balance. Since email is not secure, I don't want my account balance to be available to anyone who might access the notice. When I complained about that, the response was "do you want to discontinue the alerts?". I hate banks!
I hate banks too.

I use POP with most of my emails so I delete the email from the server as soon as I read it. That gives me a little peace of mind.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

Thanks, all. Guess I'll try setting bank alerts and see how it goes.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

sport wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:41 pm I have been receiving bank alerts for a long time without any problems. I am not too concerned about money entering my account. However, if money is leaving the account, I want to know about that. I do have one concern however. When the bank sends the alerts, they include my account balance. Since email is not secure, I don't want my account balance to be available to anyone who might access the notice. When I complained about that, the response was "do you want to discontinue the alerts?". I hate banks!
None of mine do that just the amount in question either a bank or credit card transaction.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

On “The Daily” podcast today, there was the sad story of a retired California Highway Patrol officer who lost almost $900,000 within 18 months to scammers. The officer initially wired $2,000 to the scammers so that he could get an above-market sale of a timeshare that he owned, followed by more than two dozen subsequent wire transfers as he was lured into their web of deceit.

Worse yet, the scammers were part of a Mexican criminal cartel.

This is definitely worth a listen, as a pretty well informed guy was sucked into a scam that cost him most of his savings.

https://nyt.simplecastaudio.com/03d8b49 ... 2c2fce26ae
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
Capricorn212

Post by Capricorn212 »

Received letter sent via US Postal Mail today from the "2024 Vehicle Notification Department". The company is named "Endurance" (Northbrook, IL).
Letter said I should call them before April 25, 2024 to lock in current extended vehicle service rate.

I haven't owned a car since 1977.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

Capricorn212 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:45 pm Received letter sent via US Postal Mail today from the "2024 Vehicle Notification Department". The company is named "Endurance" (Northbrook, IL).
Letter said I should call them before April 25, 2024 to lock in current extended vehicle service rate.

I haven't owned a car since 1977.
I remember seeing (TV) a race car painted to advertise US Fidelis extended car warranty.

So on the few times I've mistakenly picked up and talked to a caller selling extended vehicle warranties.
  Me: Will your service repay me for the money I lost to US Fidelis?*
  Them: No.
  Me: Since that service wasn't worth the paper written on, what's your guarantee ...is it written on paper?
  Them: <hang up>

Search: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=us+fidelis+ex ... ranty+scam
Search: https://www.google.com/search?&q=us+fid ... ranty+scam

* I never had the extended car warranty, but if a caller can lie to me, then it's okay to lie to them.
  Non-breaking hard space = <alt><2><5><5>
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
Barsoom

Post by Barsoom »

I got a phone call yesterday at about 8:30am, my wife picked up the call (landline).

The caller said he was a process server, asked for me by name, and said that someone would be coming to my home within the next 60 minutes to serve me some court documents. She exclaimed "What?!?" and started to put the phone on speaker. Before the caller could say anything more, I told her that it was a scam and to just hang up. She did. I'm not involved in any lawsuits, I'm not a witness to anything, nobody died, there is no reason I would be served with anything.

So far, nobody has come by to serve me with any papers. I'm assuming that it was a phishing call to try to get personal information from me.

-B
veggivet

Post by veggivet »

Barsoom wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 2:06 pm I got a phone call yesterday at about 8:30am, my wife picked up the call (landline).

The caller said he was a process server, asked for me by name, and said that someone would be coming to my home within the next 60 minutes to serve me some court documents. She exclaimed "What?!?" and started to put the phone on speaker. Before the caller could say anything more, I told her that it was a scam and to just hang up. She did. I'm not involved in any lawsuits, I'm not a witness to anything, nobody died, there is no reason I would be served with anything.

So far, nobody has come by to serve me with any papers. I'm assuming that it was a phishing call to try to get personal information from me.

-B
I doubt anybody who was actually going to serve you would give you a one hour heads up before his/her arrival! :oops:
Not a very well thought out approach...
SnowBog

Post by SnowBog »

veggivet wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 2:45 pm
Barsoom wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 2:06 pm I got a phone call yesterday at about 8:30am, my wife picked up the call (landline).

-B
I doubt anybody who was actually going to serve you would give you a one hour heads up before his/her arrival! :oops:
Not a very well thought out approach...
Had similar, but slightly different a few years back... In my case it was the "IRS" calling (from a foreign call center of course). Not even for me, but for a parent (with a similar name, but has never lived at my address, and I am not responsible for any of their finances), clearly crossed wires.

I refused to give any information, and refused to "help resolve the issue". I knew that the IRS was not going to be "calling.". If there was an issue, we'd get a "nice letter" in the mail, not a random phone call (to the wrong person/number).

Anyway, after caller wasn't getting what they wanted, they were kind enough to let me know that is we couldn't resolve the issue that the county sheriff was going to be sent to my house within the hour to arrest us. (Again, not going to happen... But the lunacy of claiming they were going to send the sheriff for someone who doesn't even live here, isn't even in the same county - for that matter state, for something related to the IRS with prior notice was almost comical to me.)

For "fun", I just said "no problem, let them know we'll be around back eating lunch, would be good to catch up with them haven't seen them since last weekend."

They gave up at that point. You might be shocked, but the sheriff never showed up...

Clearly they hope the fear of sending law enforcement over will get them what they want.
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

Barsoom wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 2:06 pm So far, nobody has come by to serve me with any papers. I'm assuming that it was a phishing call to try to get personal information from me.
More likely an offer to resolve the issue with some gift cards because that's the sort of currency the irs prefers.
Barsoom

Post by Barsoom »

placeholder wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 7:47 pm
Barsoom wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 2:06 pm So far, nobody has come by to serve me with any papers. I'm assuming that it was a phishing call to try to get personal information from me.
More likely an offer to resolve the issue with some gift cards because that's the sort of currency the irs prefers.
Maybe. I hear that gift cards are the tool of choice for scammers. They get people to load up rechargeable gift cards and then they drain the card of all the money.

-B
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

Barsoom wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 9:22 pm
placeholder wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 7:47 pm
Maybe. I hear that gift cards are the tool of choice for scammers. They get people to load up rechargeable gift cards and then they drain the card of all the money.
Yes and of course my statement about the what the irs prefers was ironic and instead reflects what scammers prefer because it's essentially irreversible.
TwstdSista

Post by TwstdSista »

I actually got a similar call (process server) a few years ago - claimed to be from the FBI. Guess what? It was totally legit! I called the FBI directly and was able to confirm that they had an agent by that name. Just to be on the safe side, I met them at the local police station.

[I did some work for a client who turned out to be misappropriating funds, they just needed copies of the documents I had relative to that file. (PS - the guy is currently a long-time guest of the federal prison system)]