[What Should I Invest In? Bank Investment Plans or On My Own?]

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
HanSolo

Re: [How Do I Invest My $250k?]

Post by HanSolo »

lakpr wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:25 am To me, that description, from a 30,000 foot level, it sounds like a leveraged long term treasury in terms of price and yield.

Edited to add: You buy Treasury STRIPS to guarantee return of principal, not for yield. that is certainly not true, as the index return says, they lost about a tenth of their value in barely 3 months this year alone.
Moral to the story: Safe if held to maturity. Not safe if sold prematurely. Works exactly as advertised.
Strategic Macro Senior (top 1%, 2019 Bogleheads Contest)
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

arca wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:42 am [Title was "Whats the Best Investment for My Money Without Investing in Stocks?", thread updated with new info
here --admin LadyGeek]

Hi guys.. I have $200,000 to invest. Naturally, I'm a bit leery of the stock market especially when its been down about 20% for the year despite recent rallies.

Annuities and bonds are a good idea. An annuity at a bank is offering 4.6% with withdrawals. The coupon rate on a 2 year treasury is going for 4.3%. I'm also thinking of Vanguard bond funds but don't have enough info on them. My goal is not long term for the moment, more like 2 - 3 years.

1) Would you guys tell me the best investment to make right now without investing in the stock market?

2) Conversely, would you tell me about a safe mixed fund (bonds and stocks) to invest in, out of curiosity?

Will you be spending the money in 2-3 years? If yes, then the first response is great.

If this is realistically long term put it in stocks.

My brother never put anything in stocks. His retirement looks bleak - he needs to win a large lottery.
Topic Author
arca

Post by arca »

Dottie57 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:25 am
Will you be spending the money in 2-3 years? If yes, then the first response is great.
What response? I named a few options. Specify which investment option I specified.
Topic Author
arca

What Should I Invest In? Bank Investment Plans or On My Own?

Post by arca »

[Arca - your new thread has (again) been merged with your previous thread(s) on same situation. Please see guidance below about keeping all questions about a specific situation in a single thread. Thank you. Moderator Pops1860]

Hi guys.. I have $250k to invest. I'm presently eyeing tbills at about 5% for a year. But I'm also interested in buying the s&p market which has had a great return for a year now.

I'm presently working, not making as much as I should so I'm risk averse.

3 questions:

1) In addition to investing in tbills for 1 year, what percentage of the $250k should I invest in the market given my risk aversion?

2) What index products should I invest in?

3) My bank (bank of america) called to partner with me over its planned investment options. Should I go with them or rely on investments strategies here?

UpperNwGuy

Re: What Should I Invest In? Bank Investment Plans or On My Own?

Post by UpperNwGuy »

How much does Bank of America want to charge you for this "partnership"?

Post by 123 »

If you are risk averse and want to test the stock market waters start with investing 10% of your funds in a total stock market fund like Vanguard Total Stock Market Index. Either the mutual fund VTSAX or the etf VTI. You can do it on your own at Vanguard or Fidelity (use VTI). Avoid the bank, they usually want to sell you a managed solution or an annuity (if you sound cautious). With an annuity the fees erode your return without you seeing it, a very dangerous situation.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Topic Author
arca

Post by arca »

Topic Author
arca

Post by arca »

123 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 3:58 pm If you are risk averse and want to test the stock market waters start with investing 10% of your funds in a total stock market fund like Vanguard Total Stock Market Index. Either the mutual fund VTSAX or the etf VTI. You can do it on your own at Vanguard or Fidelity (use VTI). Avoid the bank, they usually want to sell you a managed solution or an annuity (if you sound cautious). With an annuity the fees erode your return without you seeing it, a very dangerous situation.
I was thinking of either dipping all of my $250k into tbills alone. Or as you suggested with the 10%, $225k in tbills and $25 in an index.

Let me know if you have any further thoughts on this or a better investment plan.
muffins14

Post by muffins14 »

arca wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 4:10 pm
Dear god
Do you have a question about that information?

It’s possible BofA has some free options via their Merrill product, but I don’t know. It’s definitely very cheap to buy stocks and treasuries yourself
Crom laughs at your Four Winds
steadyosmosis

Post by steadyosmosis »

arca wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 3:42 pm Hi guys.. I have $250k to invest. I'm presently eyeing tbills at about 5% for a year. But I'm also interested in buying the s&p market which has had a great return for a year now.

3 questions:

1) In addition to investing in tbills for 1 year, what percentage of the $250k should I invest in the market given my risk aversion?

3) My bank (bank of america) called to partner with me over its planned investment options. Should I go with them or rely on investments strategies here?

Is this the same $250k you asked about on 4/6/2024?
Age<59.5 | Early-retired | AA ~55/45 | Taxable=100% VTI | Roth IRA=97% equities | HSA=94% equities | Traditional IRA=100% fixed income | I spend from the taxable account |
Topic Author
arca

Post by arca »

steadyosmosis wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 4:22 pm

Yes it is. Tell me what you think. Looking forward
BirdFood

Post by BirdFood »

I'm a computer programmer. Sometimes when a customer can't quite decide what they want, I give them a design and let them tell me the ways it's not what they want.

So, a design:

100 in 52-week T-bills. (Assuming you don't need to spend any of this in a year.)
100 in 5-year TIPS, in the auction coming up June 13. (Assuming you don't need to spend that for five years.)
50 in a low-ER total stock market index fund.

When the 52-week T-bills mature in a year, you can re-decide what to do with that money. If you think you might want to change your mind sooner, you could put some or all of it in shorter-term bills instead.

This is for thinking purposes, not necessarily a recommendation. Though I don't see anything seriously wrong with it, assuming the goal is a very conservative strategy.
Last edited by BirdFood on Tue May 14, 2024 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
VeloTech

Post by VeloTech »

viewtopic.php?t=294182

What did you decide on back in 2019? I am just curious what is going on here.
Rocinante Rider

Post by Rocinante Rider »

arca wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 4:34 pm
steadyosmosis wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 4:22 pm

Yes it is. Tell me what you think. Looking forward
It looks like you've posted about essentially the same question other times in the past also, including 2019 and 2022:
viewtopic.php?p=4823686#p4823686
viewtopic.php?p=6934269#p6934269
There were many replies made in those threads offering helpful suggestions about how you can clarify your goals and develop an investment plan. Can you tell us what you think about the advice you've already been given?
wetgear

Post by wetgear »

VeloTech wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 4:47 pm viewtopic.php?t=294182

That was a refresh of a post from 2014 too.

OP you’ve missed a decade of great gains by not acting. I’d recommend you:

1) Post your questions in the correct format with all the details so we don’t provide advice in a vacuum: viewtopic.php?t=6212

2) With the advice provided after step 1 make a plan, act on it, and stick to it.
Doctor Rhythm

Post by Doctor Rhythm »

No offense, but your posting history suggest to me that you're uncomfortable with risk but are also very indecisive, with wide swings in what you want to do with your savings (from T-bills to investing in A.I.). As poster above notes, you've asked this fundamental question multiple times and gotten typical Boglehead answers each time. You've also been somewhat cryptic about your overall financial picture, which makes it difficult for people to give you more than general advice. It has been unclear if you've done anything with the advice.

I think you may be better served using an advisor who can review your individual needs and provide some motivation and stability.
momopi

Post by momopi »

arca wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 3:42 pm Hi guys.. I have $250k to invest. I'm presently eyeing tbills at about 5% for a year. But I'm also interested in buying the s&p market which has had a great return for a year now.
3 questions:
3) My bank (Bank of America) called to partner with me over its planned investment options. Should I go with them or rely on investments strategies here?
Based on your previous post from 2019:
viewtopic.php?p=4864096#p4864096

Generally speaking, the amount allocated to bonds/treasuries/CD/money market is what you cannot afford to lose in a down market. So if you determine that to be $100,000 out of the $250,000 investment, then your asset allocation is 60/40. You can put $150,000 (60%) in a low cost index fund, then put the remaining $100,000 (40%) in T-bills. You don't need to pay BofA's fees.

Vanguard has some good info on asset allocation model portfolios:
https://investor.vanguard.com/investor- ... allocation

You can see from the "Range of calendar year returns 1926-2022" chart on potential upsides and downsides, based on historic data.

I totally understand the risk aversion to stock market, but inflation and $18 big mac combos in NYC is a brutal reality.
Last edited by momopi on Tue May 14, 2024 5:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.
BirdFood

Post by BirdFood »

OP, have you ever done anything with this money? Where is it right now?

If you can't make up your mind to do anything else, and it's somewhere earning less than four to five percent, just put it all in 26-week T-bills so that it's ultra safe, but earning something, for six months while you think it over.
delamer

Post by delamer »

I’m curious as to whether you thought anyone in this forum would recommend that you partner with Bank of America (for a fee) rather than using a Boglehead-approved portfolio (for no cost)?
One thing that humbles me deeply is to see that human genius has its limits while human stupidity does not. - Alexandre Dumas, fils
Doctor Rhythm

Post by Doctor Rhythm »

delamer wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 5:21 pm I’m curious as to whether you thought anyone in this forum would recommend that you partner with Bank of America (for a fee) rather than using a Boglehead-approved portfolio (for no cost)?
I actually did make that recommendation above. Based on posting history, I think a paid advisor will provide the impetus and motivation to actually invest in stocks, which OP has talked about for years, but possibly never done. An advisor might also provide some inertia against OP's frequently shifting ideas. Paid advisor would also be able to see OP's total financial picture (which hasn't been shared here) to come up with a plan.
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

Doctor Rhythm wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 5:30 pm
delamer wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 5:21 pm I’m curious as to whether you thought anyone in this forum would recommend that you partner with Bank of America (for a fee) rather than using a Boglehead-approved portfolio (for no cost)?
I actually did make that recommendation above. Based on posting history, I think a paid advisor will provide the impetus and motivation to actually invest in stocks, which OP has talked about for years, but possibly never done. An advisor might also provide some inertia against OP's frequently shifting ideas. Paid advisor would also be able to see OP's total financial picture (which hasn't been shared here) to come up with a plan.
+1
I second your recommendation that the OP gets a paid advisor.

Dave
"Reality always wins, your only job is to get in touch with it." Wilfred Bion
Pops1860

Post by Pops1860 »

arca - In order to provide appropriate advice, it's best to keep all the information in one spot. I merged your updates back into the original thread. (I also updated the thread title.) You are asking different questions, but they are all related to your portfolio.

If you have any questions, ask them here.

(Thanks to the member who reported the post and provided a link to this thread.)

Moderator Pops1860
The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those who do not have it. ~George Bernard Shaw
delamer

Post by delamer »

Doctor Rhythm wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 5:30 pm
Fair enough. i didn’t look at the OP’s posting history.
One thing that humbles me deeply is to see that human genius has its limits while human stupidity does not. - Alexandre Dumas, fils
rockstar

Re: [What Should I Invest In? Bank Investment Plans or On My Own?]

Post by rockstar »

Market dropped 5%, bounced mostly back, and CPI comes out tomorrow. Roaring Kitty posted a Braveheart meme with Gamestoooooop. What's not to love about the stock market? I'm obviously going to invest a couple of hundred dollars of fun money on GME tomorrow. :)

When I have no clue what to buy, I usually buy 3 month T bills. But ultimately my money ends up in VOO or QQQ. It's usually VOO. I bought some VOO this morning. With my left overs, I bought some AMC. When I say leftovers, I mean that I couldn't invest all of the dollars into VOO because of the price that VOO trades for right now, so I had a couple of hundred sitting around that I decided to play with.

However, my insanity aside, the default answer here is the three fund portfolio unless you need the money really soon. In that case, it's usually either money market funds or treasuries tied to the expecting holding period. So if you plan to use the money in a couple of months for a down payment on a home, then a T Bill would probably fit the bill.
HanSolo

Post by HanSolo »

arca wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 3:42 pm 1) In addition to investing in tbills for 1 year, what percentage of the $250k should I invest in the market given my risk aversion?

How about half-and-half, T-bills and a balanced fund? For example, if you put half in VASIX (LifeStrategy Income), your overall stock/bond allocation is 10/90. Or if you put half in VTINX (Target Retirement Income), you're at 15/85.
How about Vanguard's VPAS?

I'm not too sure what you should do, these are just ideas off the top of my head based on limited info about you.
Topic Author
arca

Post by arca »

So in 2022 I invested $250k in 3 mo tbills which garnered $3k. Not much but it was a safe investment given somewhat of my fear of the market.
Topic Author
arca

Post by arca »

wetgear wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 4:52 pm
OP you’ve missed a decade of great gains by not acting.
I agree.
1) Post your questions in the correct format with all the details so we don’t provide advice in a vacuum: viewtopic.php?t=6212
I believe I've done that already. Not sure.
Topic Author
arca

Post by arca »

I agree.
Ok I'll do it
wetgear

Post by wetgear »

arca wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 2:14 pm
I agree.
Ok I'll do it
I’ll keep an eye out for it. The more information you provide the better the advice will be.
BirdFood

Post by BirdFood »

arca wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 2:05 pm

So in 2022 I invested $250k in 3 mo tbills which garnered $3k. Not much but it was a safe investment given somewhat of my fear of the market.
Why not just keep doing that, rolling them whenever they mature, while you choose a more permanent strategy? You’ll never be more than three months away from being able to implement that strategy. If you wait another two or five or ten years, you’ll at least be making some return.
Topic Author
arca

Post by arca »

HanSolo wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 11:04 pm
How about half-and-half, T-bills and a balanced fund? For example, if you put half in VASIX (LifeStrategy Income), your overall stock/bond allocation is 10/90. Or if you put half in VTINX (Target Retirement Income), you're at 15/85.
How would putting half of $250k ($125k) in a balanced fund comprise 10/90 allocation? You mean it would be 50/50.

Btw I looked into VASIX and VTINX and both dont generate attractive returns. Your thoughts please.
Topic Author
arca

Post by arca »

BirdFood wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 2:49 pm Why not just keep doing that, rolling them whenever they mature, while you choose a more permanent strategy? You’ll never be more than three months away from being able to implement that strategy. If you wait another two or five or ten years, you’ll at least be making some return.
Appreciate that. I cant invest in 3 mo tbills. Only 1 year at most in fixed inc given my circumstances which relate to housing laws - I wont get into specifics about that.

I was actually thinking of investing $260 in tbills for 1 yr and $20k in an index ETF. So roughly a 90/10 allocation strategy. I know the market historically has upswung even through negative territory. But still the market doesn't placate my fears even at that allocation.
Topic Author
arca

Post by arca »

wetgear wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 2:37 pm

I’ll keep an eye out for it. The more information you provide the better the advice will be.
Here ya go........

Emergency funds: $30,000
Debt: $0
Tax Filing Status: Single
Tax Rate: 8.08% Federal, 4.24% State:
State of Residence: NY
Desired Asset allocation: unsure
Desired International allocation: none
Please provide an approximate size of your total portfolio: not invested currently
Current portfolio including all investment and retirement accounts: $320k total cash

Looking forward to your advice!!!
HanSolo

Post by HanSolo »

arca wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 2:59 pm
HanSolo wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 11:04 pm
How would putting half of $250k ($125k) in a balanced fund comprise 10/90 allocation? You mean it would be 50/50.
Of the $250k, if you put half ($125k) into VASIX (a 20/80 fund), then 20% of that ($25k) will be in stocks, the other 80% of that ($100k) will be in bonds. Assuming the remaining half ($125k) stays in T-bills, and therefore includes no stocks, your overall stock allocation is now 10/90, because $25k (the amount in stocks) is 10% of $250k (your portfolio total).
Btw I looked into VASIX and VTINX and both dont generate attractive returns. Your thoughts please.
There are other funds that sometimes have much higher returns. Sometimes those same funds have strong negative returns as well. I didn't mention those because of your comment about "risk aversion".

If I'm giving you the wrong suggestions, it's because I don't really know what you should do. Maybe that's why it's a good idea to work with an advisor, as others suggested. I mentioned Vanguard VPAS, have you considered that?
wetgear

Post by wetgear »

Don’t forget to list the account types the cash is sitting in, your annual contributions, and the available funds. Your marginal tax rate is more informative than your effective tax rate. Do you own a home if so is the mortgage also paid off?
Topic Author
arca

Post by arca »

wetgear wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 3:50 pm Don’t forget to list the account types the cash is sitting in, your annual contributions, and the available funds. Your marginal tax rate is more informative than your effective tax rate. Do you own a home if so is the mortgage also paid off?
Hey.. sorry for the late reply.

To answer your question, my money isn't in any account presently. I rent, not own home. Marginal tax rate is 22%.

Let me know what you think.. looking forward!