What are you listening to now

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Chv396

Re: What are you listening to now

Post by Chv396 »

Streaming “Jazz 24” today on my iPad…
“Stay the Course” - My Portfolio (BND, VT, VXUS, VYM) Spouse’s Portfolio (VEA, VGSH, VOO, VOT)
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Cannonball

Rebel-Rouser

— Duane Eddy RIP

Song of a Baker — Small Faces. This can’t be live, it sounds exactly like the record.
I have a bird that whistles | And I have birds that sing. | —Led Zeppelin
Chv396

Post by Chv396 »

“Sticky Fingers”, (1971), Rolling Stones
“Stay the Course” - My Portfolio (BND, VT, VXUS, VYM) Spouse’s Portfolio (VEA, VGSH, VOO, VOT)
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Texas Flood — Stevie Ray Vaughan
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

We just stumbled across an octobass.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octobass

It's a real thing; 11' 5'' tall, and played with some levers on the neck, rather than fingering on the strings.
There are only 3 strings, and a "regular" but large bow.
The octobass player uses a stand (a small platform), so they can reach the levers.

The strings vibrate... slowly... very s-l-o-w-l-y... So slowly, that you can watch them vibrate as though they are in slow motion.
And the sound is so low, that it can be difficult to be sure if you are hearing it sometimes. It can sound more like a very faint rumble(?); other times one can hear pitch. I assume this also depends upon one's hearing acuity, of course, plus whatever equipment one is using if not seeing it in person.
There are apparently only a few originals in existence, and only a few replicas.

It was extraordinary to see it.

We watch YouTube classical music a lot, and thus get "suggestions" that pop up sometimes, and this was the most recent new thing.
Fascinating. :happy

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Nicolas wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:19 pm Texas Flood — Stevie Ray Vaughan
What a talent. :beer
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

ResearchMed wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:42 pm We just stumbled across an octobass.

It's a real thing; 11' 5'' tall, and played with some levers on the neck, rather than fingering on the strings.
The octobass player uses a stand (a small platform), so they can reach the levers.

The strings vibrate... slowly... very s-l-o-w-l-y... So slowly, that you can watch them vibrate as though they are in slow motion.
And the sound is so low, that it can be difficult to be sure if you are hearing it sometimes. It can sound more like a very faint rumble(?); other times one can hear pitch. I assume this also depends upon one's hearing acuity, of course, plus whatever equipment one is using if not seeing it in person.
There are apparently only a few originals in existence, and only a few replicas.

We watch YouTube classical music a lot, and thus get "suggestions" that pop up sometimes, and this was the most recent new thing.

RM
That’s interesting. I hadn’t heard of this instrument before. Here’s a description and demonstration from the Musical Instrument Museum. https://youtu.be/12X-i9YHzmE?si=CfR42b0Q33A9T3Mx
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

ResearchMed wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:42 pm We just stumbled across an octobass.

RM
Interesting! I've never heard of that. I listened to the Youtube video Nicholas posted - that's a very low sound!
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Only a Pawn in Their Game — Bob Dylan
Medgar Evers received the Presidential Medal of Freedom today (posthumously of course)
Last edited by Nicolas on Fri May 03, 2024 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jungle

Post by Jungle »

The soundtrack for Ecco the Dolphin game for the Genesis
87% Global Stock, 7% MCV, 6% SCV
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

Nicolas wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:03 pm Cannonball

Rebel-Rouser

— Duane Eddy RIP

Song of a Baker — Small Faces. This can’t be live, it sounds exactly like the record.
The latter was great! Thanks for providing it.

I was a big Small Faces fan prior to them becoming the Faces with Rod Stewart.

I, however, had any memory of every prior hearing the song. From watching and listening it definitely seemed like a live performance.

I knew it was Steve Marriott playing guitar and I was asking myself, where was the other guitarist, Ronnie Lane, who went on to play with the Rolling Stones.

Then when the guy came on he told us that it was Ronnie Lane on bass and I'd confused him with Ron Wood. Was It Wood replaced Marriott in the Faces with Rod Stewart when Steve Marriot left to team up with Peter Frampton in Humble Pie? All so long ago!!
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

Chv396 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:43 pm “Sticky Fingers”, (1971), Rolling Stones
Brown Sugar was the immediate attention grabber when that record was first released!
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:22 pm
He was. On guitar.

I think he suffered from a disease that many other gifted guitarists do. They think that because they are such excellent guitarists that that makes them qualified to sing.

I've never been of his or Eric Clapton's singing. Both of them would have been far better off by having vocalists who were as equally talented on vocals as they were on guitar.

The only exception is:

https://www.bing.com/videos/riverview/r ... &FORM=VIRE

Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble - The House Is Rockin' (Official Video)

His voice was perfect for that song.

I can easily listen to that song at least ten times in a row!
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

vnatale wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:12 pm

Rebel-Rouser

— Duane Eddy RIP

I, however, had any memory of every prior hearing the song. From watching and listening it definitely seemed like a live performance.

I knew it was Steve Marriott playing guitar and I was asking myself, where was the other guitarist, Ronnie Lane, who went on to play with the Rolling Stones.

Then when the guy came on he told us that it was Ronnie Lane on bass and I'd confused him with Ron Wood. Was It Wood replaced Marriott in the Faces with Rod Stewart when Steve Marriot left to team up with Peter Frampton in Humble Pie? All so long ago!!
Ah, another Small Faces fan!

Song of a Baker: I suppose that could’ve been live but it sounds so close to the official recording.

Here they are performing side 2 of Ogdens’ Nut Gone Flake, and this is definitely live — and it includes the storyteller! I never saw this before. I wore that record out.

And of course their biggest hit, Itchycoo Park. This looks synced but it’s a great song.

I never saw the Small Faces but I did see The Faces with Rod Stewart in 1970. We got home at 3am and I had to work at 7. My ears rang for 24 hours.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

I do know the word, chiaroscuro, an art term for the treatment of light and shade in drawing and painting. Not overly common yet I saw it for the 2nd time this week in a story in today's wsj https://www.wsj.com/arts-culture/books/ ... os1&page=1

The wsj story is about the composer of Concierto De Aranjuez, Joaquín Rodrigo, and also references Miles Davis. The music is a work for guitar and orchestra. I listened to the entire work on Spotify, but here's the 2nd movement from YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekznnxaGzNU I like the spotify version better.

The wsj review of the book mentions "Several mid-20th-century composers, though prolific, are remembered mostly for a single piece of music. Think of Carl Orff and his “Carmina Burana” or Ferde Grofé’s “Grand Canyon Suite.” And, certainly, think of the Spanish composer Joaquín Rodrigo (1901-99) and his enduringly popular work for guitar and orchestra, “Concierto de Aranjuez.”

I'll listen to Orff and to Grofe later.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

heartwood wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 11:51 am I do know the word, chiaroscuro, an art term for the treatment of light and shade in drawing and painting. Not overly common yet I saw it for the 2nd time this week in a story in today's wsj https://www.wsj.com/arts-culture/books/ ... os1&page=1

The wsj story is about the composer of Concierto De Aranjuez, Joaquín Rodrigo, and also references Miles Davis. The music is a work for guitar and orchestra. I listened to the entire work on Spotify, but here's the 2nd movement from YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekznnxaGzNU I like the spotify version better.

The wsj review of the book mentions "Several mid-20th-century composers, though prolific, are remembered mostly for a single piece of music. Think of Carl Orff and his “Carmina Burana” or Ferde Grofé’s “Grand Canyon Suite.” And, certainly, think of the Spanish composer Joaquín Rodrigo (1901-99) and his enduringly popular work for guitar and orchestra, “Concierto de Aranjuez.”

I'll listen to Orff and to Grofe later.
I love this composition ("Concierto De Aranjuez"). I haven't heard it in a long time. So beautiful. I'll put that article in my WSJ queue.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

"Concierto De Aranjuez"...

= new earworm, almost immediately!
Both snippets and long sections.

And now it's looping into other classical guitar solos and back again...

Thank you! :happy

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
TaxesAreTooHard

Post by TaxesAreTooHard »

ResearchMed wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 1:19 pm "Concierto De Aranjuez"...
I love the horn version from the movie Brassed Off: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zo8hIc7DpuE
rule of law guy

Post by rule of law guy »

my wife

also dead concerts on archive.org
Never wrong, unless my wife tells me that I am.
Chv396

Post by Chv396 »

Yep, I recall it was #1 on the charts in 1971.

vnatale wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:14 pm
Chv396 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:43 pm “Sticky Fingers”, (1971), Rolling Stones
Brown Sugar was the immediate attention grabber when that record was first released!
Chv396

Post by Chv396 »

“American Fool”, John Mellancamp (1982)
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

Nicolas wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 10:31 pm

Rebel-Rouser

— Duane Eddy RIP

Song of a Baker: I suppose that could’ve been live but it sounds so close to the official recording.

Here they are performing side 2 of Ogdens’ Nut Gone Flake, and this is definitely live — and it includes the storyteller! I never saw this before. I wore that record out.

And of course their biggest hit, Itchycoo Park. This looks synced but it’s a great song.

I never saw the Small Faces but I did see The Faces with Rod Stewart in 1970. We got home at 3am and I had to work at 7. My ears rang for 24 hours.
I saw Faces with Rod Stewart twice in 1971, both times in Boston. Once indoors, the other outdoors.

I always somehow linked Small Faces and Humble Pie.

Here is the first Humble Pie song that caught my attention. It sounded so Beatle-esque.

When the record came out I played it the song for several people and they agreed with me.

vnatale

Post by vnatale »

Rebel-Rouser

— Duane Eddy RIP

Watching it now. Agree with all of this: "And of course their biggest hit, Itchycoo Park. This looks synced but it’s a great song."

That's a young, young, young Steve Marriott?
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

Rebel-Rouser

— Duane Eddy RIP

"Here they are performing side 2 of Ogdens’ Nut Gone Flake, and this is definitely live — and it includes the storyteller! I never saw this before. I wore that record out."

Have this one now. I'd heard of the record but never owned it. So this is my first time hearing anything from it.

Is that Steve Marriott on keyboards? Never knew he played keyboards in addition to guitar.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

vnatale wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 8:34 pm
Is that Steve Marriott on keyboards? Never knew he played keyboards in addition to guitar.
Steve plays keyboards on just the first song “Happiness Stan”, and electric and acoustic guitars on the other songs. That’s him in the white shirt and black vest. Someone commented that they’re miming the music but actually singing it live, and I believe it.
CoAndy

Post by CoAndy »

"Up Where We Belong" sung by Joe Cocker & Jennifer Warnes
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

I had a couple Guess Who tapes that I listened to a lot 40+ years ago. Hadn't really listened to them since. Didn't even remember what songs they did, or why I liked them. Last night for some reason they popped into my mind, so I watched some of their (recorded) live performances on my TV on Youtube. Really enjoyed myself. They have a nice sound - great vocals, harmonies etc.
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

vnatale wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:19 pm
He was. On guitar.

I think he suffered from a disease that many other gifted guitarists do. They think that because they are such excellent guitarists that that makes them qualified to sing.

I've never been of his or Eric Clapton's singing. Both of them would have been far better off by having vocalists who were as equally talented on vocals as they were on guitar.

The only exception is:

Not sure I agree with you on Stevie Ray Vaughn's voice, but some other examples I can think of are Jimi Hendrix and Les Claypool.
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

OpenMinded1 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 2:55 pm I had a couple Guess Who tapes that I listened to a lot 40+ years ago. Hadn't really listened to them since. Didn't even remember what songs they did, or why I liked them. Last night for some reason they popped into my mind, so I watched some of their (recorded) live performances on my TV on Youtube. Really enjoyed myself. They have a nice sound - great vocals, harmonies etc.
Their lead singer was Burt Cummings. In a band that I managed Cummings was a favorite of one of our vocalists.

The two guitarists in the Guess Who later went on to be Bachman Turner Overdrive.
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

OpenMinded1 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 3:03 pm
vnatale wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:19 pm
He was. On guitar.

The only exception is:

Not sure I agree with you on Stevie Ray Vaughn's voice, but some other examples I can think of are Jimi Hendrix and Les Claypool.
I'd not say that about Hendrix. Have listened to Les Claypool (forgetting his band) but not enough to make any judgement on him.

Just so happens that I am listening to Stevie Ray Vaughan right now. But it's a perfect song because it is just him playing with no vocals - "Rude Mood / Pipeline" - Live.
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

Sleigh Ride -- Brian Setzer Orchestra

Is he in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

He is certainly more deserving of being there then all the people in it who never played one note of rock and roll!
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

Once Bitten Twice Shy

Mott the Hoople

Love Ian Hunter / Mott the Hoople

Saw them twice in the early 70s
Chv396

Post by Chv396 »

“Still Life (Talking)”, Pat Metheny Group (1987)
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

Enjoyed watching (and listened to) some old Herbie Hancock on Youtube last night including Rockit. He oozes creativity.
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

I Was Made For Lovin' You (from The Fall Guy), by Yungblud. On YouTube.
Carp

Post by Carp »

Goober&The Peas "The complete works".
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

Heard some Loggins & Messina in the wild recently, so looked up on YouTube

Loggins and Messina - Angry Eyes (live)
Chv396

Post by Chv396 »

“Harmony of Difference”, Kamasi Washington (2017)
Small Law Survivor

Post by Small Law Survivor »

New Fred Hersh solo piano - Silent, Listening

via Roon
73 yrs. mostly-retired lawyer. Boglehead since day 1 (and M* Diehard long before that) under various names
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

I've been enjoying the latest album Phantoma from Unleash the Archers, just released yesterday. I really like this band. Their last three albums have been really solid.

This is the longest track and the clear ballad on the album:

Give It Up Or Give It All

Or here's the playlist for the full album:

Phantoma Playlist

Give it a try. If you like rock or metal, or even if you don't, you might enjoy it.
Chv396

Post by Chv396 »

“Who Are You” The Who (1977)
rule of law guy

Post by rule of law guy »

on hold with the NYC MTA. listening to some absolutely mindless looped soundtrack. they apologized for delay since they are trying to keep their customer service employees "safe"
Never wrong, unless my wife tells me that I am.
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

DMX - Flesh of my flesh, Blood of my blood. A classic rap album, not quite as good as DMX first album, but still excellent.
Light weight baby!
PoorPlumber

Post by PoorPlumber »

John Prine- Picture in a Picture Show.

Met him once stopped at a Travel Center. :shock:
Chv396

Post by Chv396 »

“Some Girls”, Rolling Stones (1978)
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

The live Taylor Swift Drops of Jupiter https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJwE8Lg2fZk

One of her few songs that I can appreciate her voice and range. Otherwise I don't get most of the attraction to her music.

I like the Train version as well, but stumbled on Swift's version in a Spotify play list. I did not realize it was a song before Train. Even Judy Collins did it in 2005.
Syth

Post by Syth »

Haiduk - Cyclone [death/thrash/black]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lus_XFXxhnU
Chv396

Post by Chv396 »

“LA Woman” The Doors (1971)
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Peace Frog —The Doors
Sugaree — Jerry Garcia Band
Wagon Wheel —Old Crow Medicine Show
Lola — Lake Street Dive
Last edited by Nicolas on Sat May 18, 2024 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chv396

Post by Chv396 »

“My Favorite Things” John Coltrane (1961)