Amazon One Medical offer

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
redstar
Posts: 126
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:15 pm

Re: Amazon One Medical offer

Post by redstar »

I use One Medical (both before and after the Amazon acquisition). I wanted to have a doctor within walking distance and my prior PCP closed down the nearby location and moved, so I switched to One Medical.

I like that I am able to get same day appointments. This doesn’t matter much for annual checkups but when I have some weird foot pain I am able to walk in same day. It’s not always with my PCP for same-day but that’s fine with me. I can usually see my PCP within a week. They also have decent virtual options, including video visits with my PCP (whereas my old place had video visits fulfilled by some other service).

Overall I’m happy, but essentially I’m paying a yearly membership to get a doctor at a location I want and quick scheduling. You have to decide if that’s important to you. I also don’t have any major health issues so most of my visits are routine or simple illness.
nyclon
Posts: 705
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:30 pm

Re: Amazon One Medical offer

Post by nyclon »

Tried it and thought it wasn’t special. As someone else mentioned it’s basically like paying a membership fee to see a practice.

The big turnoff was that when they billed my insurance company they put the wrong address on the claim and the claim was denied. One Medical opened a new office and has its address in the insurance carriers directory of in network providers. However they send claims to the insurance company with the old office address. So all claims get denied.

Got stuck with a $700 PCP visit bill (annual physical cost!) which One Medical, after several months, waived. Ridiculous for an amazon company.
JBTX
Posts: 11405
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:46 pm

Re: Amazon One Medical offer

Post by JBTX »

In kind of related news, or not, Walmart is discontinuing Walmart medical

https://www.reuters.com/business/health ... Walmart%20(WMT.,Healthcare%20is%20expensive%20to%20run.
protagonist
Posts: 9422
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:47 am

Re: Amazon One Medical offer

Post by protagonist »

Young Boglehead wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 9:41 am

There’s not much (if any) standardization in training after PA/NP school. As a med student I’ve always found it perplexing that it takes a minimum of 7 years of med school/residency to be qualified to practice in one area of medicine yet for PAs for example it’s 2.5 yrs and they end up able to practice in whatever field will hire them.

Just finished my 3rd year of med school and I’m still a baby with so much ahead of me, whereas if I was a PA I’d be seeing patients like yourself already
What I find amazing is that seeing a PA or NP typically costs the patient the same as seeing a specialist. I imagine they are getting paid a lot less than what the board certified specialist makes, and often they are doing the same job. Somebody along the line is pocketing the difference.
Gaston
Posts: 1293
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:12 pm

Re: Amazon One Medical offer

Post by Gaston »

humblecoder wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 9:04 am So what are you getting exactly for your $144-$199/year?
I was wondering about this too. Is it kind of like a Costco membership fee, where you pay for the right to go into the store (gross oversimplification), and then pay for the things you want once in the store?
“My opinions are just that - opinions.”
User avatar
cosmos
Posts: 315
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:11 pm
Location: Third rock from the Sun

Re: Amazon One Medical offer

Post by cosmos »

All i can think of when I see walmart and amazon and all these "tech bro" medical startups...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rl3MbNkOMQo

I weep for the future.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses. Hit it.
CletusCaddy
Posts: 2963
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:23 am

Re: Amazon One Medical offer

Post by CletusCaddy »

protagonist wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 10:04 pm
Young Boglehead wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 9:41 am

There’s not much (if any) standardization in training after PA/NP school. As a med student I’ve always found it perplexing that it takes a minimum of 7 years of med school/residency to be qualified to practice in one area of medicine yet for PAs for example it’s 2.5 yrs and they end up able to practice in whatever field will hire them.

Just finished my 3rd year of med school and I’m still a baby with so much ahead of me, whereas if I was a PA I’d be seeing patients like yourself already
What I find amazing is that seeing a PA or NP typically costs the patient the same as seeing a specialist. I imagine they are getting paid a lot less than what the board certified specialist makes, and often they are doing the same job. Somebody along the line is pocketing the difference.
Is this not true of any medical practice that has mixed providers?
SevenBridgesRoad
Posts: 1200
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:14 am

Re: Amazon One Medical offer

Post by SevenBridgesRoad »

We are seeing classic disruption and value migration around a broken system. New models will emerge but it will not be trouble free along the way.
Nuestroro
Posts: 69
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:44 pm

Re: Amazon One Medical offer

Post by Nuestroro »

I’m a happy OneMed customer. $100/yr for not waiting in the waiting room is worth it. Being able to schedule via app rather than call in is a bonus. I view it as a “mass affluent” version of concierge medicine. Not quite as good but much cheaper.
protagonist
Posts: 9422
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:47 am

Re: Amazon One Medical offer

Post by protagonist »

CletusCaddy wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 10:36 pm
protagonist wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 10:04 pm
Young Boglehead wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 9:41 am

There’s not much (if any) standardization in training after PA/NP school. As a med student I’ve always found it perplexing that it takes a minimum of 7 years of med school/residency to be qualified to practice in one area of medicine yet for PAs for example it’s 2.5 yrs and they end up able to practice in whatever field will hire them.

Just finished my 3rd year of med school and I’m still a baby with so much ahead of me, whereas if I was a PA I’d be seeing patients like yourself already
What I find amazing is that seeing a PA or NP typically costs the patient the same as seeing a specialist. I imagine they are getting paid a lot less than what the board certified specialist makes, and often they are doing the same job. Somebody along the line is pocketing the difference.
Is this not true of any medical practice that has mixed providers?
These days, perhaps yes.
I am a retired physician. I retired in 2008.
When I practiced one was pretty much assured of seeing a physician trained in their specialty.
If you first saw an intern or resident, which might happen in a teaching hospital, all their work (and the patient) was overseen and reviewed by the attending physician, perhaps during daily rounds or otherwise. And the interns and residents were all MDs or DOs. As an attending physician, that was my job.
CletusCaddy
Posts: 2963
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:23 am

Re: Amazon One Medical offer

Post by CletusCaddy »

protagonist wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 4:21 pm
CletusCaddy wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 10:36 pm
protagonist wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 10:04 pm
Young Boglehead wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 9:41 am

There’s not much (if any) standardization in training after PA/NP school. As a med student I’ve always found it perplexing that it takes a minimum of 7 years of med school/residency to be qualified to practice in one area of medicine yet for PAs for example it’s 2.5 yrs and they end up able to practice in whatever field will hire them.

Just finished my 3rd year of med school and I’m still a baby with so much ahead of me, whereas if I was a PA I’d be seeing patients like yourself already
What I find amazing is that seeing a PA or NP typically costs the patient the same as seeing a specialist. I imagine they are getting paid a lot less than what the board certified specialist makes, and often they are doing the same job. Somebody along the line is pocketing the difference.
Is this not true of any medical practice that has mixed providers?
These days, perhaps yes.
I am a retired physician. I retired in 2008.
When I practiced one was pretty much assured of seeing a physician trained in their specialty.
If you first saw an intern or resident, which might happen in a teaching hospital, all their work (and the patient) was overseen and reviewed by the attending physician, perhaps during daily rounds or otherwise. And the interns and residents were all MDs or DOs. As an attending physician, that was my job.
In talking to my physician friends, my understanding is that PAs and specialist NPs can usually be trusted to know what they are doing. It’s the generalist NPs that you gotta watch out for.
NYCaviator
Posts: 2168
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:06 pm
Location: NYC

Re: Amazon One Medical offer

Post by NYCaviator »

Gaston wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 10:16 pm
humblecoder wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 9:04 am So what are you getting exactly for your $144-$199/year?
I was wondering about this too. Is it kind of like a Costco membership fee, where you pay for the right to go into the store (gross oversimplification), and then pay for the things you want once in the store?
And I wonder how much of this is more data collection by Amazon. Are you going to start seeing suggested products in your Amazon account based on some medical condition you’re being treated for?
Post Reply