Bank of America/Merrill Edge - Preferred Rewards

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
tj

Re: Bank of America/Merrill Edge - Preferred Rewards

Post by tj »

Dpmbball wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 3:00 pm
zero_coupon wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:59 pm
Dpmbball wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 3:29 pm Typically in a B of A branch there is a Merrill designated office or section of said Branch where Merrill activities are done separately than the counter
Thanks, Dpmbball.
bongo wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:11 pm I deposited a big check at the ATM and it warned about the hold period. I thought, no problem I'll just go home and call in and mention my Diamond status and they'll fix it. While listening to the hold music they actually had a recording that said if you are calling about check holds, that they couldn't change it. The rep basically repeated that. I said the check is made on another ML account, why does it take a week since it's all in-house?? The rep said all checks are sent out to a clearing house - doesn't matter the source bank.

So I called ML thinking they provide better white glove service anyway. The guy also said it's locked in BofA until the hold is released. He said next time to try taking the check inside to the Merrill guy who could deposit directly into my ME account and then mark the funds available immediately. I guess if the check were big enough, I would do it, although I'm sure a wait for the guy would be involved.

ps. don't know if this would work on a new account either.
This is useful info. Unbelievable that they placed a hold on a ML check. I can imagine a new ME account might have certain restrictions, such as no immediate availability of check deposits, even when deposited directly with the ME representative at a BoA branch.

Is it generally possible to walk in and speak with the ME rep without an appointment (even if one must wait for him/her to become available)? Or must one always have an appointment? Must one have an appointment to open an account?

Can one open a BoA and/or Merrill Edge account at a Merrill Lynch office? Does there exist a no-fees bare bones type of Merrill Lynch CMA one could substitute for a Merrill Edge CMA?
I deposited my 10 figure refund check and there was a 7 day hold. So I guess even the Gov issued checks are held
10 figure refund? :-O
Dpmbball

Post by Dpmbball »

tj wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 3:22 pm
Dpmbball wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 3:00 pm
zero_coupon wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:59 pm
Dpmbball wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 3:29 pm Typically in a B of A branch there is a Merrill designated office or section of said Branch where Merrill activities are done separately than the counter
Thanks, Dpmbball.
bongo wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:11 pm I deposited a big check at the ATM and it warned about the hold period. I thought, no problem I'll just go home and call in and mention my Diamond status and they'll fix it. While listening to the hold music they actually had a recording that said if you are calling about check holds, that they couldn't change it. The rep basically repeated that. I said the check is made on another ML account, why does it take a week since it's all in-house?? The rep said all checks are sent out to a clearing house - doesn't matter the source bank.

So I called ML thinking they provide better white glove service anyway. The guy also said it's locked in BofA until the hold is released. He said next time to try taking the check inside to the Merrill guy who could deposit directly into my ME account and then mark the funds available immediately. I guess if the check were big enough, I would do it, although I'm sure a wait for the guy would be involved.

ps. don't know if this would work on a new account either.
This is useful info. Unbelievable that they placed a hold on a ML check. I can imagine a new ME account might have certain restrictions, such as no immediate availability of check deposits, even when deposited directly with the ME representative at a BoA branch.

Is it generally possible to walk in and speak with the ME rep without an appointment (even if one must wait for him/her to become available)? Or must one always have an appointment? Must one have an appointment to open an account?

Can one open a BoA and/or Merrill Edge account at a Merrill Lynch office? Does there exist a no-fees bare bones type of Merrill Lynch CMA one could substitute for a Merrill Edge CMA?
I deposited my 10 figure refund check and there was a 7 day hold. So I guess even the Gov issued checks are held
10 figure refund? :-O
Edited … 5 figure..
toyotafan_463

Post by toyotafan_463 »

What is the largest check amount you have deposited into an Bank of America ATM? We are going to receive a large check from family that goes above the mobile deposit limit, trying to determine if ATM deposit would be fine or if we need to go into a branch.

Also, if deposited at the branch, will the funds be held for less days?
zie

Post by zie »

zero_coupon wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 1:50 pm Thank you, zie. This is helpful. If you don't mind, I have a couple additional questions about getting started in-branch, as opposed to online.

Did the ME rep request to scan documents to verify identity? If so, which documents are required?

Regarding setting up one's devices, did the ME rep just walk you through the DIY process (i.e. could have been done later, at your convenience)? Or did the ME rep facilitate device setup by taking some actions in the computer system? That is, after opening accounts in-branch (without setting up one's devices at that time), can one subsequently set up online access without speaking to a CSR?

You mentioned ME reps can service BoA accounts. Presumably, a ME rep can process BoA credit card applications as well?
I don't remember all these details, but luckily I wrote about it at the time up thread, you can find it here: viewtopic.php?p=6157818#p6157818

If that doesn't answer your questions, I'm not sure I have an answer. Perhaps others can chime in with answers from their perspective.
Whether rich or poor, a young woman should know how a bank account works, understand the composition of mortgages and bonds, and know the value of interest and how it accumulates. -Hetty Green
zie

Post by zie »

toyotafan_463 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 7:17 pm What is the largest check amount you have deposited into an Bank of America ATM? We are going to receive a large check from family that goes above the mobile deposit limit, trying to determine if ATM deposit would be fine or if we need to go into a branch.

I deposited 5 figures, in person at a branch and it was held for the whole 7 business days, of course I was brand new customer off the street and the check was an out of state check. I have no idea about ATM deposits.

I can't imagine they would hold funds differently just because of how you deposit the check.
Whether rich or poor, a young woman should know how a bank account works, understand the composition of mortgages and bonds, and know the value of interest and how it accumulates. -Hetty Green
Lastrun

Post by Lastrun »

zie wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 7:56 pm I can't imagine they would hold funds differently just because of how you deposit the check.
I deposited a fair number of bonus checks at my local BofA where they know me, and my surname is in the name of the business writing the check. Did not matter, still had a hold, but if I was being waterboarded I swear the hold was not a full 7 days---but at least 5.
isira

Post by isira »

toyotafan_463 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 7:17 pm What is the largest check amount you have deposited into an Bank of America ATM? We are going to receive a large check from family that goes above the mobile deposit limit, trying to determine if ATM deposit would be fine or if we need to go into a branch.

Did you check your deposit limits for both your BofA and Merrill accounts? Interestingly enough, my deposit limits are $75K for BofA Checking and $50K for Merrill. Personally, if I had a check larger than my mobile deposit limit, I would deposit with a teller for peace of mind.
flyingout

Post by flyingout »

isira wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 11:40 am

Did you check your deposit limits for both your BofA and Merrill accounts? Interestingly enough, my deposit limits are $75K for BofA Checking and $50K for Merrill. Personally, if I had a check larger than my mobile deposit limit, I would deposit with a teller for peace of mind.
Interesting. I hadn't payed attention since I get so few, mostly small, checks a year. The $75K says it's a monthly limit. Merrill has different wording, "Your deposit for this account cannot exceed $50K," which I interpret as a single deposit, perhaps daily, limit. (Schwab checking says $100K daily limit; Fidelity CMA $500K daily limit.)
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

Wanted to share a data point for any other new BOA/ME people. My partial ACATS into ME was very quick. Less than a week. I opened a checking account the same day the funds came in and selected “enroll in preferred rewards.”

For some reason today I saw nothing about PR and so I called in. A very helpful phone rep looked at the balances and aaid sometimes that happens and so they put in some notes to the back office and said to expect a call or email within a few days as they straighten it out.

For anyone having issues getting PR to kick in, it may be worth calling.

I will say that I’ve been very impressed with everyone I’ve dealt with at BOA thus far. Between helping me set up the business accounts and iron out some issues with the online banking, they’ve been extremely helpful and pleasant. I’m honestly quite surprised at the bad rep they have on here.

And unlike Chase, all of the phone reps are US based and seem to know what they’re doing.

There are a couple annoying things though. To be able to transfer between biz and personal accounts you HAVE to have a debit card for each account. BOAs internal authentication system requires it if you want to link those accounts for direct transfers. So I have to wait a couple weeks for the cards to arrive before I can really do much.
zero_coupon

Post by zero_coupon »

zie wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 7:54 pm I don't remember all these details, but luckily I wrote about it at the time up thread, you can find it here: viewtopic.php?p=6157818#p6157818.
Thanks for posting your experience opening accounts in-branch.
NYCaviator wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 7:20 pm And unlike Chase, all of the phone reps are US based and seem to know what they’re doing.
Are you being conected to domestic CSRs because you are Platinum Honors? Some of their CSR operations are outsourced, no?
NYCaviator wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 7:20 pm To be able to transfer between biz and personal accounts you HAVE to have a debit card for each account. BOAs internal authentication system requires it if you want to link those accounts for direct transfers.
Is it required to get the debit card for the Merrill Edge CMA in order to link it to other accounts (including BoA checking)?
Marseille07 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:43 pm Get the ATM/Debit card even though they let you opt out of it. You can't link BofA checking w/ external accounts otherwise. They don't tell you this is required.
Is it also required to get the debit card for the Merrill Edge CMA in order to link it to external accounts?
zie

Post by zie »

zero_coupon wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 10:28 am
NYCaviator wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 7:20 pm To be able to transfer between biz and personal accounts you HAVE to have a debit card for each account. BOAs internal authentication system requires it if you want to link those accounts for direct transfers.
Is it required to get the debit card for the Merrill Edge CMA in order to link it to other accounts (including BoA checking)?
I don't have a ME CMA debit card, only a BOA debit card. I can transfer cash between my BOA checking and CMA account instantly. I didn't have to link them, they came pre-linked. For transfer to/from BOA, I just use my BOA checking account link(s).

I've never tried to link from my CMA to external accounts, as it hasn't been worth trying, since my checking account can be used for that purpose if I need it.

Whenever I need customer support, I just make an appt with someone in a local to me at the time branch. They have always been able to help me, though they have had to make a phone call internally to do what I needed done sometimes. Having a real human person to interact with has been a nice bonus feature. :) I have so far always been able to get an appt within the next few days, which has always been plenty fast enough for my needs. I'm not saying this will work for you, or your needs, obviously. I've only done this 3 times so far, but it's always worked out great for me. Others may have different experiences and I'm not trying to suggest my experience is universal, since I obviously don't have vast experience with this method of support.
bbrock

Post by bbrock »

zie wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 10:57 am
I don't have a ME CMA debit card, only a BOA debit card. I can transfer cash between my BOA checking and CMA account instantly. I didn't have to link them, they came pre-linked. For transfer to/from BOA, I just use my BOA checking account link(s).

I've never tried to link from my CMA to external accounts, as it hasn't been worth trying, since my checking account can be used for that purpose if I need it.

Whenever I need customer support, I just make an appt with someone in a local to me at the time branch. They have always been able to help me, though they have had to make a phone call internally to do what I needed done sometimes. Having a real human person to interact with has been a nice bonus feature. :) I have so far always been able to get an appt within the next few days, which has always been plenty fast enough for my needs. I'm not saying this will work for you, or your needs, obviously. I've only done this 3 times so far, but it's always worked out great for me. Others may have different experiences and I'm not trying to suggest my experience is universal, since I obviously don't have vast experience with this method of support.
Yea, zie's got the system down as for instant transfer b/w BofA checking and ME CMA. Throwing some credit your way, I think I hard learned to use TTTXX, redeem early in the morning/at or around noon, to still make the cutoff so it gets instantly transferred.

:beer
bbrock
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

Is it also required to get the debit card for the Merrill Edge CMA in order to link it to external accounts?
I have no debit cards from any institution including bofa and merrill edge and have been a preferred rewards member for almost ten years.
zero_coupon

Post by zero_coupon »

For those who have participated in Merrill's bonus offer, how long did you have to wait to receive your bonus after fulfilling the 90-day holding requirement? Also, is the bonus taxable in the year it is actuality paid, or in the year it is earned? For example, suppose you complete the holding period (and thereby "earn" the bonus) on December 31, but the bonus is paid in January. Is the bonus taxable in the old year or the new year?
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

zero_coupon wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 3:13 am For those who have participated in Merrill's bonus offer, how long did you have to wait to receive your bonus after fulfilling the 90-day holding requirement? Also, is the bonus taxable in the year it is actuality paid, or in the year it is earned? For example, suppose you complete the holding period (and thereby "earn" the bonus) on December 31, but the bonus is paid in January. Is the bonus taxable in the old year or the new year?
1. I don't remember offhand.
2. I would expect it's taxable when you receive the bonus as income. Is this a hypothetical question or something you're actually dealing with ?
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

placeholder wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 6:26 pm

I have no debit cards from any institution including bofa and merrill edge and have been a preferred rewards member for almost ten years.
Now you are required to have a debit card it you want to set up an external account for ACH on the BOA website. I don't know when that was instituted, but in addition to requiring your password, BOA asks for your debit card details as a security measure. I called in to ask if there was a way around that (since it's taking forever for me to get the debit card), and the rep said no, it's a security measure. They also require it for business accounts, and I've never had a debit card for a business account, but I guess now I need one.

The other frustrating thing is that if you don't already have a BOA online login when you open your account, you cannot set one up until you receive a debit card, which seems to take forever. I already had an account from a credit card, but after opening our joint checking, my spouse was trying to set up their online account, but can't until the debit card comes.

Merrill doesn't have that issue, but it also won't let you set up SMS 2FA until a month or so after the account is open. It keeps asking me for my challenge questions instead of sending me a text. I called in and the Merrill rep said this is a security feature if you recently added a phone number (i.e. opened an account). You can't set up SMS 2FA until about a month after the account is open. Very odd.
Last edited by NYCaviator on Fri May 17, 2024 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

NYCaviator wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 7:20 pm And unlike Chase, all of the phone reps are US based and seem to know what they’re doing.
Are you being conected to domestic CSRs because you are Platinum Honors? Some of their CSR operations are outsourced, no?
Marseille07 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:43 pm Get the ATM/Debit card even though they let you opt out of it. You can't link BofA checking w/ external accounts otherwise. They don't tell you this is required.
1. I have not been coded as Platinum Honors yet. There was some error they are trying to figure out on the backend as to why my account hasn't coded as eligible, but everyone I've spoken with has been in the US. They answer like Schwab does "this is so and so from Dallas TX"

2. You don't need a debit card to link accounts from the CMA, you only need it for BOA checking and only for external accounts. So for instance if you want to link BOA checking to your external savings account or brokerage, you'll have to have a debit card to "authenticate" you before the system will let you go through the process.

3. See above. No, it doesn't seem to be an issue for Merrill, only BOA.
Lastrun

Post by Lastrun »

NYCaviator wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 8:03 am Now you are required to have a debit card it you want to set up an external account for ACH on the BOA website. I don't know when that was instituted, but in addition to requiring your password, BOA asks for your debit card details as a security measure. I called in to ask if there was a way around that (since it's taking forever for me to get the debit card), and the rep said no, it's a security measure. They also require it for business accounts, and I've never had a debit card for a business account, but I guess now I need one.
I don't have a debit card and just this week set up a new Fidelity CMA as both a transfer account (push/pull) and a pay account on my BofA credit card. Transfers and billpay were confirmed. No issues. YMMV.

PS and Edit. So it turns out I do have a debit card! But my point is still the same, I was able to link an account without it because I have no idea where it is. But apparently it has been locked so long it does not show up on my account, but it is there and even BofA can’t unlock it over the phone to cancel it and issue a new card. I have to go to a Financial Center to do it. Thanks Obama NYCaviator :twisted: But it will end up well because I will get an ATM only card.
toyotafan_463

Post by toyotafan_463 »

My wife is receiving a 6-figure gift check from my father-in-law. We want to deposit this gift into our joint account. Given the amount, we can't use BOA mobile deposit. My wife also travels for work during weekdays so isn't around during banking hours to go into a branch.

Question - can my wife sign the back of the check and then I take it to the bank of america branch and deposit the check into our joint account?
Lyrrad

Post by Lyrrad »

toyotafan_463 wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 12:13 pm My wife is receiving a 6-figure gift check from my father-in-law. We want to deposit this gift into our joint account. Given the amount, we can't use BOA mobile deposit. My wife also travels for work during weekdays so isn't around during banking hours to go into a branch.

Question - can my wife sign the back of the check and then I take it to the bank of america branch and deposit the check into our joint account?
I don’t see why not. If you can mail a check I would think you can deposit the check into the account at a branch. I’d probably have her also endorse it to only be deposited at BoA.
zero_coupon

Post by zero_coupon »

Lastrun wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 8:40 am But it will end up well because I will get an ATM only card.
Why do you prefer an ATM card? Is this an option when opening a new account online?
Lastrun

Post by Lastrun »

zero_coupon wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 4:03 pm
Lastrun wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 8:40 am But it will end up well because I will get an ATM only card.
Why do you prefer an ATM card? Is this an option when opening a new account online?
With credit cards, and the superior fraud protections they offer, I prefer to use them compared to a debit card. Just like having the buffer between the POS terminal and my checking account.

I am not sure whether it is an option on opening, but today on the phone when we were talking about replacing the debit card, the BofA rep gave me that as an option.
zero_coupon

Post by zero_coupon »

Lastrun wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 4:26 pm
zero_coupon wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 4:03 pm Why do you prefer an ATM card? Is this an option when opening a new account online?
I am not sure whether it is an option on opening, but today on the phone when we were talking about replacing the debit card, the BofA rep gave me that as an option.
Good to know!
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

Lastrun wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 8:40 am I don't have a debit card and just this week set up a new Fidelity CMA as both a transfer account (push/pull) and a pay account on my BofA credit card. Transfers and billpay were confirmed. No issues. YMMV.

PS and Edit. So it turns out I do have a debit card! But my point is still the same, I was able to link an account without it because I have no idea where it is. But apparently it has been locked so long it does not show up on my account, but it is there and even BofA can’t unlock it over the phone to cancel it and issue a new card. I have to go to a Financial Center to do it. Thanks Obama NYCaviator :twisted: But it will end up well because I will get an ATM only card.
That's weird! I wonder if you were grandfathered in, or if this is just an added security feature for newly opened accounts? It's really annoying because I'd like to start linking external accounts and set up a log-in for my spouse, but can't do either until our debit cards show up. I found it even stranger that they have the sam requirements for the business account. I never want a debit card on a business account, but I have to get one if I want to link it to my current bank so I can pull in funds.
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

I still have not gotten preferred rewards even though I am well over 100k in BOA/Merrill now. I opened the accounts within the last two weeks and selected the option for expedited PR qualification when we applied for checking. BOA is still trying to figure out why it says I am not eligible for preferred rewards. I really hope we don't have to wait 3 months to qualify. This is one of the frustrating things about BOA/Merrill. There doesn't seem to be any consistency on how long it takes to reach PR status.

I am also a bit annoyed by Merrill. If you create a new account and add your phone number, you cannot use 2FA until after a month or so (according to their reps). Now my only option is to use challenge questions instead of sending a 2FA text or email because it says I don't have a phone number on file (not true) or that I recently "updated" my phone number. This seems like a HUGE security oversight. At least Merrill has a security guarantee, but challenge questions are not very secure.
rbd789

Post by rbd789 »

NYCaviator wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 8:41 am I still have not gotten preferred rewards even though I am well over 100k in BOA/Merrill now. I opened the accounts within the last two weeks and selected the option for expedited PR qualification when we applied for checking. BOA is still trying to figure out why it says I am not eligible for preferred rewards. I really hope we don't have to wait 3 months to qualify. This is one of the frustrating things about BOA/Merrill. There doesn't seem to be any consistency on how long it takes to reach PR status.

I am also a bit annoyed by Merrill. If you create a new account and add your phone number, you cannot use 2FA until after a month or so (according to their reps). Now my only option is to use challenge questions instead of sending a 2FA text or email because it says I don't have a phone number on file (not true) or that I recently "updated" my phone number. This seems like a HUGE security oversight. At least Merrill has a security guarantee, but challenge questions are not very secure.
I had this same issue with enabling 2FA on new Merrill accounts. It also makes no sense to me. But I called and they enabled it immediately.
SuperSize

Post by SuperSize »

NYCaviator wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 8:41 am This seems like a HUGE security oversight. At least Merrill has a security guarantee, but challenge questions are not very secure.
You can create a random passphrase (3-4 words linked together) for each question and store them in your password vault. As you said having shared security answers between site is a risk.
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

rbd789 wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 8:57 am But I called and they enabled it immediately.
Interesting. I called and they told me I had to wait a month because the number was too "new." Maybe I'll call again next week and talk to a different rep.
Eno Deb

Post by Eno Deb »

NYCaviator wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 8:41 amI am also a bit annoyed by Merrill. If you create a new account and add your phone number, you cannot use 2FA until after a month or so (according to their reps). Now my only option is to use challenge questions instead of sending a 2FA text or email because it says I don't have a phone number on file (not true) or that I recently "updated" my phone number. This seems like a HUGE security oversight. At least Merrill has a security guarantee, but challenge questions are not very secure.
Tip: you can log in to BoA and then go to your linked Merrill accounts without logging in again at Merrill. This way you never need to use Merrill's security questions (you can set them to something random and store them in a password manager as backup). BoA supports Yubikeys for 2FA, which is not only phishing resistant but also more convenient since you don't need to copy security codes or answers to challenge questions.
careerdata

Post by careerdata »

vaylie wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 9:15 pm
careerdata wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 5:15 pm I am not sure there is a right or wrong answer to this question, but should we add to FSKAX with Fidelity or perhaps get some experience with ETFs and continue to grow the ME brokerage account by investing in VTI? The funds we would be putting in would be for part of the bridge to my Social Security benefit to start at age 70, to cover expenses my wife's paycheck and my small pension may not be enough for my age 65 to age 70 years.

Should we have the dividends for either FSKAX or VTI reinvested or just let them add to the cash balance (SPAXX or TTTXX) in the brokerage account we end up going with? We currently have the small dividends generated by FSKAX set up to be reinvested, but if we are going to grow this position we would like to make sure we are thinking about this correctly.
Beyond the $100k (and my emergency fund which I prefer in TTTXX over the money market funds at Fidelity), I chose Fidelity over Merrill Edge because they have fractional share purchases for ETFs (and recently also implemented automatic investing into ETFs). The settlement / core account also earns more interest. And I also like how much faster pushing/pulling is from Fidelity, as opposed to ME. And finally, the one thing I can't understand about ME is why they don't have new auction treasury bills (unless you call in) and why they don't have auto-roll. Feels like such a basic feature for a brokerage to miss out on.

I personally wouldn't necessarily use Fidelity index funds, especially because they are not portable, so if you ever want to move them to another brokerage, you'd have to liquidate them, which results in capital gains in a taxable account. But using Fidelity to invest in VTI/VXUS is a pretty solid experience.
Thank you! So far we have only purchased Fidelity funds in our Fidelity brokerage account. Does Fidelity charge a fee for purchasing or selling non-Fidelity funds like VTI? If not, then with those extra benefits you mentioned, that might also be the better fit for us, to purchase VTI in our Fidelity brokerage account as opposed to our ME brokerage account. Do you have the dividends set to auto-reinvest for VTI or do you have the dividends deposited to the cash position (SPAXX)? The automatic ETF investment option you reference might be great to set up and tie to when my biweekly paycheck is deposited.
GaryA505

Post by GaryA505 »

careerdata wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 1:28 pm
careerdata wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 5:15 pm I am not sure there is a right or wrong answer to this question, but should we add to FSKAX with Fidelity or perhaps get some experience with ETFs and continue to grow the ME brokerage account by investing in VTI? The funds we would be putting in would be for part of the bridge to my Social Security benefit to start at age 70, to cover expenses my wife's paycheck and my small pension may not be enough for my age 65 to age 70 years.

Should we have the dividends for either FSKAX or VTI reinvested or just let them add to the cash balance (SPAXX or TTTXX) in the brokerage account we end up going with? We currently have the small dividends generated by FSKAX set up to be reinvested, but if we are going to grow this position we would like to make sure we are thinking about this correctly.
Beyond the $100k (and my emergency fund which I prefer in TTTXX over the money market funds at Fidelity), I chose Fidelity over Merrill Edge because they have fractional share purchases for ETFs (and recently also implemented automatic investing into ETFs). The settlement / core account also earns more interest. And I also like how much faster pushing/pulling is from Fidelity, as opposed to ME. And finally, the one thing I can't understand about ME is why they don't have new auction treasury bills (unless you call in) and why they don't have auto-roll. Feels like such a basic feature for a brokerage to miss out on.

I personally wouldn't necessarily use Fidelity index funds, especially because they are not portable, so if you ever want to move them to another brokerage, you'd have to liquidate them, which results in capital gains in a taxable account. But using Fidelity to invest in VTI/VXUS is a pretty solid experience.
Thank you! So far we have only purchased Fidelity funds in our Fidelity brokerage account. Does Fidelity charge a fee for purchasing or selling non-Fidelity funds like VTI? If not, then with those extra benefits you mentioned, that might also be the better fit for us, to purchase VTI in our Fidelity brokerage account as opposed to our ME brokerage account. Do you have the dividends set to auto-reinvest for VTI or do you have the dividends deposited to the cash position (SPAXX)? The automatic ETF investment option you reference might be great to set up and tie to when my biweekly paycheck is deposited.
Fidelity "Zero" funds are not portable so most people will tell you that it's a bad idea to hold them in a taxable account. Fidelity mutual funds other than the Zero funds may or may not be portable.

Fidelity does not charge a fee for purchasing ETFs, including those from Vanguard. Fidelity charges a $75 fee to purchase Vanguard mutual funds. If you're buying large chunks, infrequently, $75 it's no big deal. Personally, if I'm buying $100,000 or $200,000 I don't care about a one-time $75 fee.

I don't know how close you are to retirement, but keep in mind that Fidelity and Vanguard cannot do automatic recurring withdrawals on ETFs, only mutual funds. I am transitioning into retirement and hold only mutual funds in my Fidelity and Vanguard taxable accounts for that reason. I was thinking of using Merrill in retirement because we like our BofA checking, but Merrill was going to charge me $20 for every transaction of Vanguard mutual funds. If I was taking monthly withdrawals from 2 mutual funds, that's $40/month or $480/yr, forever. No thanks.
Get most of it right and don't make any big mistakes. All else being equal, simpler is better. Simple is as simple does.
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

GaryA505 wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 1:44 pm
careerdata wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 1:28 pm ... Does Fidelity charge a fee for purchasing or selling non-Fidelity funds like VTI? ...
Fidelity does not charge a fee for purchasing ETFs, including those from Vanguard. Fidelity charges a $75 fee to purchase Vanguard mutual funds.
That's it in a nutshell. There's no fee for online trades.

But they do charge $12.95 if you order via their automated telephone service or $32.95 if need one of their representatives to place the trade. For all the boring & gory details, do a google search for "Fidelity commission schedule" (or whatever brokerage you're interested in).

For Fidelity, it's here: https://www.fidelity.com/bin-public/060 ... hedule.pdf.

One nugget that's been discussed in other BH threads:
Certain ETF sponsors pay an asset-based fee in support of their ETFs on Fidelity’s
platform that supports services including related shareholder support services, the
provision of calculation and analytical tools, as well as general investment research
and education materials regarding ETFs. Fidelity does not receive payment from
these ETF sponsors to promote any particular ETF to its customers, and these
ETF shares are not marginable for 30 days after purchase. Customers purchasing
shares in a limited number of ETFs that are not supported by their providers will be
subject to a $100 service fee.
Vanguard ETFs are not included in the final sentence.
careerdata

Post by careerdata »

Fidelity "Zero" funds are not portable so most people will tell you that it's a bad idea to hold them in a taxable account. Fidelity mutual funds other than the Zero funds may or may not be portable.

Fidelity does not charge a fee for purchasing ETFs, including those from Vanguard. Fidelity charges a $75 fee to purchase Vanguard mutual funds. If you're buying large chunks, infrequently, $75 it's no big deal. Personally, if I'm buying $100,000 or $200,000 I don't care about a one-time $75 fee.

I don't know how close you are to retirement, but keep in mind that Fidelity and Vanguard cannot do automatic recurring withdrawals on ETFs, only mutual funds. I am transitioning into retirement and hold only mutual funds in my Fidelity and Vanguard taxable accounts for that reason. I was thinking of using Merrill in retirement because we like our BofA checking, but Merrill was going to charge me $20 for every transaction of Vanguard mutual funds. If I was taking monthly withdrawals from 2 mutual funds, that's $40/month or $480/yr, forever. No thanks.
Thank you! Not everything is under my control, of course, but assuming Corporate America continues to have interest in my skills as I turn 59 next month, then probably at least one more year before I retire, and maybe more. My wife is 13 years younger than me and she is just getting started on her nursing career so the need to draw down our retirement funds will hopefully be pushed out until I turn 70 and start my Social Security benefit.

What are your thoughts on splitting the difference between FSKAX and VTI? Add to both equally from my paycheck going forward with FSKAX targeted for a portion of the bridge to my Social Security benefit starting at age 70 using the automatic monthly withdrawal option you referenced, and then VTI reserved for future lumpy expenses such as car replacements and taxes related to anticipated conversions into my Roth IRA?

Between TTTXX, SPAXX, and SPRXX, we currently have two years of living expenses set aside in those three money market funds, so the funds from my future paychecks we are talking about that would go into either FSKAX or VTI, or both, would be a third tier of emergency reserves if needed. The second tier of reserves would come from the I Bonds we have, which in total would cover one additional year of living expenses.
GaryA505

Post by GaryA505 »

careerdata wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 2:51 pm

Thank you! Not everything is under my control, of course, but assuming Corporate America continues to have interest in my skills as I turn 59 next month, then probably at least one more year before I retire, and maybe more. My wife is 13 years younger than me and she is just getting started on her nursing career so the need to draw down our retirement funds will hopefully be pushed out until I turn 70 and start my Social Security benefit.

What are your thoughts on splitting the difference between FSKAX and VTI? Add to both equally from my paycheck going forward with FSKAX targeted for a portion of the bridge to my Social Security benefit starting at age 70 using the automatic monthly withdrawal option you referenced, and then VTI reserved for future lumpy expenses such as car replacements and taxes related to anticipated conversions into my Roth IRA?

Between TTTXX, SPAXX, and SPRXX, we currently have two years of living expenses set aside in those three money market funds, so the funds from my future paychecks we are talking about that would go into either FSKAX or VTI, or both, would be a third tier of emergency reserves if needed. The second tier of reserves would come from the I Bonds we have, which in total would cover one additional year of living expenses.
Sounds like you have a good plan!
Get most of it right and don't make any big mistakes. All else being equal, simpler is better. Simple is as simple does.
careerdata

Post by careerdata »

sycamore wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 2:22 pm
careerdata wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 1:28 pm ... Does Fidelity charge a fee for purchasing or selling non-Fidelity funds like VTI? ...
Fidelity does not charge a fee for purchasing ETFs, including those from Vanguard. Fidelity charges a $75 fee to purchase Vanguard mutual funds.
That's it in a nutshell. There's no fee for online trades.

But they do charge $12.95 if you order via their automated telephone service or $32.95 if need one of their representatives to place the trade. For all the boring & gory details, do a google search for "Fidelity commission schedule" (or whatever brokerage you're interested in).

For Fidelity, it's here: https://www.fidelity.com/bin-public/060 ... hedule.pdf.

One nugget that's been discussed in other BH threads:
Certain ETF sponsors pay an asset-based fee in support of their ETFs on Fidelity’s
platform that supports services including related shareholder support services, the
provision of calculation and analytical tools, as well as general investment research
and education materials regarding ETFs. Fidelity does not receive payment from
these ETF sponsors to promote any particular ETF to its customers, and these
ETF shares are not marginable for 30 days after purchase. Customers purchasing
shares in a limited number of ETFs that are not supported by their providers will be
subject to a $100 service fee.
Vanguard ETFs are not included in the final sentence.
Thank you! I will try to make sure I only do online trades to avoid the fees you reference!

It seems like the best plan for our situation is to continue to build from our very small position with FSKAX with Fidelity and, at the same time, begin building a position with VTI, so we can take advantage of the automation options with Fidelity to a) invest and b) later on down the road set up automatic withdrawals from FSKAX. To complete the circle, continue to maintain our money market emergency funds in TTTXX with Merril Edge (ME). This would seem to optimize the different benefits Fidelity and ME offer us. Is there any "fly in the ointment" to implementing that plan that I am not thinking through clearly?
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

NYCaviator wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 7:20 pm There are a couple annoying things though. To be able to transfer between biz and personal accounts you HAVE to have a debit card for each account. BOAs internal authentication system requires it if you want to link those accounts for direct transfers. So I have to wait a couple weeks for the cards to arrive before I can really do much.
In order to wire money online, I also had get a debit card. This is true regardless of the amount despite old language on the website which states the debit card is needed only for amounts above a limit.
DrDubious

Post by DrDubious »

I can’t guarantee it will be honored, but I was able to complete an application using the link from the $1k offer landing page.
i2cube

Post by i2cube »

DrDubious wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 2:09 pm I can’t guarantee it will be honored, but I was able to complete an application using the link from the $1k offer landing page.
Was your account approved instantly?
DrDubious

Post by DrDubious »

i2cube wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 9:16 am
DrDubious wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 2:09 pm I can’t guarantee it will be honored, but I was able to complete an application using the link from the $1k offer landing page.
More or less, maybe a few minutes.
Didn’t seem like there was a human involved, more like it was just taking some time for data to propagate through their systems.
I haven’t yet tried to pull any securities in though.
i2cube

Post by i2cube »

DrDubious wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 11:05 am
i2cube wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 9:16 am
More or less, maybe a few minutes.
Didn’t seem like there was a human involved, more like it was just taking some time for data to propagate through their systems.
I haven’t yet tried to pull any securities in though.
Thanks! I am planning to apply in the next few days once I got my assets in the other account settled
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

Does anyone know how to order free checks as a preferred rewards member? My platinum honors status just posted and I need some paper checks. When I try to order them online it still tries to charge me $30. I called customer service and they gave me a phone number to call, but apparently it’s only for check RE orders.
zero_coupon

Post by zero_coupon »

NYCaviator wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 8:18 pm Does anyone know how to order free checks as a preferred rewards member? My platinum honors status just posted and I need some paper checks. When I try to order them online it still tries to charge me $30. I called customer service and they gave me a phone number to call, but apparently it’s only for check RE orders.
What is the best/recommended checking account for a Preferred Rewards member?
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

zero_coupon wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 3:47 pm What is the best/recommended checking account for a Preferred Rewards member?
I went with advantage plus but I'm not using the checking account.
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

NYCaviator wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 8:18 pm Does anyone know how to order free checks as a preferred rewards member? My platinum honors status just posted and I need some paper checks. When I try to order them online it still tries to charge me $30. I called customer service and they gave me a phone number to call, but apparently it’s only for check RE orders.
When I am logged in and click order checks under services the page says in part:
As a Preferred Rewards client, your benefits include complimentary orders of standard checks. If you prefer to personalize your order, a $10 discount will apply to most designs. Please see the Personal Schedule of Fees for more information.
bbrock

Post by bbrock »

Still waiting on PR status (PH) for my wife. For me, I was able to get it expedited because I bugged the heck out of them. Not as fast as some of you all after setting up your account through mentioned system in this thread, however, I was able to get it set up. With regards to my wife, they told us when we called, It’s just gonna take time there’s nothing we can do, three months blah blah blah. Tips, recommendations from y’all to expedite things?

I question if it’s them conspiring against us since I bugged the heck out of them to expedite it for me… 🤣
bbrock
tj

Post by tj »

bbrock wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 7:51 pm Still waiting on PR status (PH) for my wife. For me, I was able to get it expedited because I bugged the heck out of them. Not as fast as some of you all after setting up your account through mentioned system in this thread, however, I was able to get it set up. With regards to my wife, they told us when we called, It’s just gonna take time there’s nothing we can do, three months blah blah blah. Tips, recommendations from y’all to expedite things?

I question if it’s them conspiring against us since I bugged the heck out of them to expedite it for me… 🤣
I recommend you stop bugging them and wait the 3 months.
bongo

Post by bongo »

bbrock wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 7:51 pm Still waiting on PR status (PH) for my wife. For me, I was able to get it expedited because I bugged the heck out of them. Not as fast as some of you all after setting up your account through mentioned system in this thread, however, I was able to get it set up. With regards to my wife, they told us when we called, It’s just gonna take time there’s nothing we can do, three months blah blah blah. Tips, recommendations from y’all to expedite things?

Considering you first contemplated getting your wife PH status in Dec 2022 and waited 18 months already, why is it suddenly such an urgent thing now? Why can't she just use your cards in the meantime?
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

zero_coupon wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 3:47 pm
What is the best/recommended checking account for a Preferred Rewards member?
I got the basic one. I don’t think there’s any difference once you have PR.
bbrock

Post by bbrock »

bongo wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 8:15 pm

Considering you first contemplated getting your wife PH status in Dec 2022 and waited 18 months already, why is it suddenly such an urgent thing now? Why can't she just use your cards in the meantime?
Nice, I have a fan, or stalker... :shock: LOL
Good to know at least one of us knows when I 1st discussed when I was thinking about getting my wife PH status.

Whose says she's not using my cards? If you had read my posts, as closely as you knew when I mentioned getting DW PH, as I'd already mentioned the ongoing joke that she's struggled with no matter what I've done to make it easier for her to remember which card for when. We spend a very healthy amount at Costco (online shopping/3%) & the grocercy store/warehouse (2%) combined spending.

Need more card access.

:twisted:
bbrock
bbrock

Post by bbrock »

tj wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 7:56 pm

I recommend you stop bugging them and wait the 3 months.
Too impatient to wait
bbrock