What have you baked recently?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
skp

Re: What have you baked recently?

Post by skp »

This summer I found a blackberry patch in one of our local parks. I picked and froze 3 huge bags. Yesterday I made blackberry cobbler.
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

German style soft pretzels, recipe in Jeffrey Hammelman's book, real crowd pleaser
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells
SunnySideUp

Post by SunnySideUp »

TheGreyingDuke wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:05 am German style soft pretzels, recipe in Jeffrey Hammelman's book, real crowd pleaser
Jeffrey Hamelman, "Bread: A Baker's Book of Techniques and Recipes"
MrWasabi65

Post by MrWasabi65 »

pumpkin seeds, yeah, easy but tasty. lol
Chv396

Post by Chv396 »

Brownies!
“Stay the Course” - My Portfolio (BND, VT, VXUS, VYM) Spouse’s Portfolio (VEA, VGSH, VOO, VOT)
cheesepep

Post by cheesepep »

I baked a lasagna in my slow cooker. Quite good. My first time also. I also didn’t use lasagna sheets. I used something called 蛋餅 and the results were very good.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

cheesepep wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 3:42 pm I baked a lasagna in my slow cooker. Quite good. My first time also. I also didn’t use lasagna sheets. I used something called 蛋餅 and the results were very good.

I was able to copy/paste the foreign letters/symbols, and up popped pictures and directions.

Sounds (and looks) very interesting!
Thanks.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi »

Keto Pumkin muffins.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Lalamimi wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:30 am Keto Pumkin muffins.

Recipe?

:happy

Thanks!

RM
Sgnoweht

Post by Sgnoweht »

Cranberry pound cake. Use fresh cranberries available during Thanksgiving to Christmas. I have to give out the recipe any time I bring it to a gathering.
Cream 3 cups sugar, 3 sticks of butter 8 oz cream cheese.
Add 3 cups flour,6 eggs ,vanilla extract.
Coat 1 lb package of fresh cranberries in flour and fold into batter.
Pour into buttered and SUGARED pan.
Use a bundt, or two loaf pans or mini silicone bundts.
Bake at 350 f for 90 minutes.
Best served chilled.
Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi »

ResearchMed wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:45 am
Lalamimi wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:30 am Keto Pumkin muffins.

Recipe?

:happy

Thanks!

RM
Keto Pumpkin Muffins
This came from Primaledgehealth.com 4 large eggs, 1/2 Cup pumpkin puree, 1/4 Cup Coconut oil, melted, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 1/2 Cup Coconut flour, 1/4 Cup Keto Brown Sugar substitute, 1 tsp baking powder, 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice, 1/2 tsp cinnamon
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a 6-cup muffin pan with cupcake liners and grease or spray them with cooking oil. Using lightly greased foil liners gives the best results, however, silicone liners work too. Paper liners may cause the cupcakes to stick a little but not too badly.
In a medium mixing bowl, combine the wet ingredients (eggs, pumpkin puree, coconut oil, and vanilla extract).
In a small bowl, combine the dry ingredients (coconut flour, sweetener, baking powder, and spices).
I froze 2, will see how they do. Enjoy!
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir with a large spoon or sturdy whisk until thoroughly mixed. ( I cheated and just added the dry ingredients one at a time)
Using a ¼ cup measuring cup, (you can use the same one you used to measure oil and sweetener), generously scoop a rounded cupful of batter and fill each of the six lined muffin wells. Top the muffins with any remaining batter.
Bake the muffins for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove the muffins from the pan and cool on a wire cooling rack until completely cooled.
For best results, wait to cool the muffins completely before eating. Coconut flour can be very crumbly when still hot. You want fluffy and moist muffins, not a pile of crumbs, so be patient!
nanook

Post by nanook »

Fresh deer barbequed ribs with 4 large onions, 275 degrees for 4 hours.
Beer bread 5 min to make & stir, 1hour to cook,
And wild blueberry/rhubarb dumplings 😋
Topic Author
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

I dislike frying at home due to the mess/oil waste so I often "fry" food in the oven. This is a new favorite recipe for roasted paneer:

https://summeryule.com/roasted-paneer/

You can vary the spices to your taste and experiment. Just a note, if you bake the paneer longer than 10 min, it will become tough and chewy. My husband likes it that way, but if you want it with a less jerky-like texture stick to 10 minutes.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
Chv396

Post by Chv396 »

A few days ago, an apple pie and some oatmeal & raisin cookies. Yum!! :D :D
“Stay the Course” - My Portfolio (BND, VT, VXUS, VYM) Spouse’s Portfolio (VEA, VGSH, VOO, VOT)
Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k »

Lemon Pudding cake with lemon drizzle icing.

Brownies.

Banana bread.
Chv396

Post by Chv396 »

Brownies and chocolate chip cookies.
snic

Post by snic »

Focaccia! This recipe from the Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat Netflix series makes a beautiful, tasty focaccia, and it's remarkably easy. I cut the salt down a bit because the saltiness is really over the top. We served this as an appetizer at Thanksgiving and it got devoured, with rave reviews. I have a batch rising right now to have with a soup for dinner tomorrow.

https://www.saltfatacidheat.com/fat/ligurian-focaccia
(Watch the "Fat" episode to see some of the preparation steps. It's a fun series if you like traveling, eating and cooking.)
Lilly

Post by Lilly »

Today I made a sour cream pecan coffee cake. It was very good. https://cookiesandcups.com/pecan-sour-c ... ffee-cake/
Lily
elle

Post by elle »

Baklava with pistachios
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Sandi_k wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:31 am Lemon Pudding cake with lemon drizzle icing.

Brownies.

Banana bread.

Could you share the recipe for the "Lemon Pudding Cake"?
Does this end up with a pudding layer, or does the pudding make it more moist in general... or?

Thanks!

RM
Tom_T

Post by Tom_T »

Blueberry muffins. No big deal, but I learned one tip that made all the difference in the world: add 1/8 teaspoon almond extract.
Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k »

ResearchMed wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:49 am
Sandi_k wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:31 am Lemon Pudding cake with lemon drizzle icing.

Brownies.

Banana bread.
Could you share the recipe for the "Lemon Pudding Cake"?
Does this end up with a pudding layer, or does the pudding make it more moist in general... or?

Thanks!

RM
RM, the pudding mix is added to the dry cake mix; it made a really good, moist cake. Even after a week, the ends didn't dry out much, making for a long-lasting cake that was still excellent in the long term.

The recipe is here:

https://www.9onadime.com/lemon-pudding-bundt-cake/

The only issue is that I couldn't get Instant Lemon pudding in a 5 oz box - just 3.4 oz boxes were in stock, at two different grocery stores. So I bought three small boxes, and added 1.5 boxes to the cake mix to approximate that measurement.
Chv396

Post by Chv396 »

Banana nut bread and an apple pie.
mkc

Post by mkc »

King cake - currently halfway through the bake. Trying a new recipe this year (I usually use Sucre's).
Chv396

Post by Chv396 »

Banana nut bread and chocolate chip cookies.
Taz

Post by Taz »

Sicilian (grandma's) pizza. We used the book, "Perfect Pan Pizza: Square pies to make at home, from Roman, Sicilian, and Detroit, to grandma pies and focaccia." We are trying to dial in modifications for baking at altitude (6600 ft).
The destination matters. | "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't don't stop and look around once in a while - you could miss it." -- Ferris Bueller
Chv396

Post by Chv396 »

Chicken pot pies for lunch today. :D
Okoboji

Post by Okoboji »

I started baking Sourdough about a year ago. My wife was given some starter, then quickly established it was too complicated so she gave it to me. This happened about the same time I retired, she call it “ Still Making Dough”. I now bake 4 loafs a week and happily give 3 to friends.
mkc

Post by mkc »

Homemade Aussie Bites. This also falls into the "what frugal thing did you do today?"
Chv396

Post by Chv396 »

Banana nut bread and chocolate chip cookies, this past weekend. Yum!
OhBoyUhoh

Post by OhBoyUhoh »

I made a red velvet cake from scratch after seeing an article in NYT. I was told it was the bomb. I don't hear so good so it may have been a bomb. But I thought it was pretty good for a first time effort.

Cheers
I had money, I had none. I had money, I had none. But I never been so broke that I couldn't leave town. (Jim, Ray, Robby, John)
snic

Post by snic »

Ligurian focaccia.

https://www.saltfatacidheat.com/fat/ligurian-focaccia

(With about half the salt because I found it inedible the first time I made it with the amount called for.)

Watch the "Fat" episode of Salt Fat Acid Heat on Netflix to see how it's made. It's one of the easiest and tastiest breads I've ever made.
snic

Post by snic »

Alice and Jaque's apple tart.

https://smittenkitchen.com/2007/11/simplest-apple-tart/

Very simple. The method of coring peeled half-apples and then slicing them is just genius. It's so easy to do. The tart looks so elegant with the slices still together in their apple shape. I use 1.5x the dough recipe for a 10" tart pan, and I don't fold the dough over the way they do (I just make a nice built-up crust). When I made it the other day, I rolled out a bit of almond paste very thin and placed it onto the tart shell before adding the apples and sugar and baking. It was delicious. A little almond paste goes a long way (I used about 1/3 of a 7 oz tube of Odense brand almond paste.)
Chv396

Post by Chv396 »

Chocolate chip cookies!
MJS

Post by MJS »

snic wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:02 pm ... When I made it the other day, I rolled out a bit of almond paste very thin and placed it onto the tart shell before adding the apples and sugar and baking. It was delicious. A little almond paste goes a long way (I used about 1/3 of a 7 oz tube of Odense brand almond paste.)
Almond paste (and its cousin marzipan) take about 5 minutes and $1 $2.11 ($1.55+0.56) to make one pound 15.1 oz. Commercial almond paste is very expensive and non-Boglehead. :D

Almond paste - nutty flavor, mealier texture.
200 grams (7 oz) fine almond flour: not almond meal
200 grams (7 oz) powdered [confectioner's] sugar
1-2 tablespoons (30 gram / 1 oz) binder (egg white, heavy syrup, honey, amaretto, water, vodka, almond milk, ...)
[1/2 teaspoon almond extract]
Mix in a large ziplock bag -- use fingers outside the bag to create a coarse dry mealy paste, roll into tube shape, and press out air: Zip. Store in refrigerator for 2-3 months.

Marzipan - Sweeter, finer texture.
200 grams very fine almond flour - whirl in food processor for finer texture
250-300 grams powdered [confectioners] sugar
1-2 tablespoons binder (traditionally egg white)
OPTIONAL flavoring: German = rosewater; American = vanilla; Middle East = orange water & pistachio nut flour; French = pure, of course (No frivolous flavorings polluting the natural flavor, you barbarian.)
Mix in a large ziplock bag -- use fingers outside the bag, roll into tube shape, and press out air: zip. Store for 3-4 months.

If you use very finely ground fresh blanched almonds, increase the almond:sugar ratio and omit binder.
Last edited by MJS on Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ipsa scientia potestas est. Bacon F.
snic

Post by snic »

MJS wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:33 pm
snic wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:02 pm ... When I made it the other day, I rolled out a bit of almond paste very thin and placed it onto the tart shell before adding the apples and sugar and baking. It was delicious. A little almond paste goes a long way (I used about 1/3 of a 7 oz tube of Odense brand almond paste.)
Almond paste (and its cousin marzipan) take about 5 minutes and $1 to make one pound. Commercial almond paste is very expensive and non-Boglehead. :D

Almond paste - nutty flavor, mealier texture.
200 grams fine almond flour: not almond meal
200 grams powdered [confectioner's] sugar
1-2 tablespoons binder (egg white, heavy syrup, honey, amaretto, water, vodka, almond milk, ...)
[1/2 teaspoon almond extract]
Mix in a large ziplock bag -- use fingers outside the bag to create a coarse dry mealy paste, roll into tube shape, and press out air: Zip. Store in refrigerator for 2-3 months.

Marzipan - Sweeter, finer texture.
200 grams very fine almond flour - whirl in food processor for finer texture
250-300 grams powdered [confectioners] sugar
1-2 tablespoons binder (traditionally egg white)
OPTIONAL flavoring: German = rosewater; American = vanilla; Middle East = orange water & pistachio nut flour; French = pure, of course (No frivolous flavorings polluting the natural flavor, you barbarian.)
Mix in a large ziplock bag -- use fingers outside the bag, roll into tube shape, and press out air: zip. Store for 3-4 months.

If you use very finely ground fresh blanched almonds, increase the almond:sugar ratio and omit binder.
Thanks for the recipe. Almond flour is not <$2/lb, but point taken.
AlwaysLearningMore

Post by AlwaysLearningMore »

Recently baked dog cookies.

AP flour
Unflavored pumpkin puree
Rolled oats
Grated zucchini
Flaxseed oil
Retirement is best when you have a lot to live on, and a lot to live for. * None of what I post is investment advice.* | FIRE'd July 2023
IAmOutis

Post by IAmOutis »

Banana bread; found a photo of a hand-written recipe figured I'd give it a go.
jradisch

Post by jradisch »

Yesterday I made a North Carolina Lemon pie. The recipe calls for the crust to be made with Saltine crackers. I could never get the crust right (too hard). Instead, this time I used shortbread cookies for the crust. It came out much better. However, it didn't have that salty/sweet taste you'd get with the Saltines.
Chv396

Post by Chv396 »

Banana nut bread and chocolate chip cookies.
mkc

Post by mkc »

Ginger scones using chopped, crystallized/candied ginger.
Chv396

Post by Chv396 »

Oatmeal & raisin cookies and banana nut bread.
almostretired1965

Post by almostretired1965 »

Just saw this thread and I was wondering if anyone has baked a Japanese style sponge cake? They are sort of like a lighter version of a pound cake. I have really fond memories of it from childhood in Taiwan and just tried a loaf bought at Costco. Anyway, advice on a good recipe would be much appreciated.
Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi »

Pineapple upside down cake for my brother who was visiting. All ingredients from ALDI.
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

last night made simple homemade apple cinnamon bread:
https://erhardtseat.com/apple-cinnamon-bread-recipe/

yummy
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
doobiedoo

Post by doobiedoo »

Chocolate croissants from Trader Joe's are delicious and easy to make too!
Better than most bakeries!
https://www.traderjoes.com/home/product ... nts-091087
Chv396

Post by Chv396 »

Baked some chicken enchiladas for dinner tonight. :sharebeer
Chv396

Post by Chv396 »

Banana nut bread.
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

I am experimenting to find the "perfect" (Ha!) recipe for Rye bread baked in a Ninja Air Fryer.

So far, I've entered several rabbit holes: baking bread, baking rye bread, and baking in an Air Fryer. Each rabbit hole has had side trips to different types and brands of flour, yeast, and (drum roll) Vital Wheat Gluten (seasoned bakers I know have never even heard of the stuff, but King Arthur Baking Co. writes about how great it is. So I'm using it.).

My first rye bread (last week) was a brick. The second (a few days later) was "dense but edible."

Then I baked a baguette in the conventional oven using just white flour, which was pretty good and actually looked like, well, a baguette.

Today I'm back to Rye bread and I've got the vital wheat gluten.

I've got a spread sheet set up for the experiment, with columns for white flour, rye flour, vital wheat gluten, caraway seeds, salt, yeast, and water. And my lab notes.

A true rabbit hole. But I've done more difficult things than this. (I think.)

DW is encouraging me. She no longer bakes. Smart woman.
--
(The next morning, today): I tossed the dough. It was too watery and not worth trying to save.
I made a new batch with a larger quantity of ingredients using the metric units, which are more dependable, I've read. Let's see what happens!
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche
Chv396

Post by Chv396 »

Chocolate chip cookies and brownies. :sharebeer