Anyone else getting Text from Netflix?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
gavinsiu

Anyone else getting Text from Netflix?

Post by gavinsiu »

I keep getting a reoccurring text from Netflix

From Netflix: Get temporary access code at: m.netflix.com/xxxxxx

Anyone getting this too. Was wondering if this is a new scam of some sort. The url does not appear to be spoofed.
muffins14

Re: Anyone else getting Text from Netflix?

Post by muffins14 »

Is it possible someone else has your password and is fraudulently trying to use your account?

This happened to me on Spotify. Someone got my password and upgraded me to a family plan and signed up 5 other people.

You could be getting a fraud text, or you could be getting a text because someone already has your password and is trying to log into your account (either a fraudster or a friend, former roommate, parent, traveling child etc)

I think you could either a) ignore it, or b) change your password
Last edited by muffins14 on Sun May 12, 2024 12:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Crom laughs at your Four Winds
student

Post by student »

I do not.
the_wiki

Post by the_wiki »

Change your password and go log out all devices from the website.
Topic Author
gavinsiu

Post by gavinsiu »

I look through my device list and don't see any new devices. The email doesn't seemed to have location, but it indicates that it's from an android tablet, which i don't have. The most likely scenario is that my mom may be attempting to use my netflix account from a different state and Netflix now doesn't allow sharing. I have removed netflix from all of her devices, but might have missed one.
muffins14

Post by muffins14 »

gavinsiu wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 12:28 pm I look through my device list and don't see any new devices. The email doesn't seemed to have location, but it indicates that it's from an android tablet, which i don't have. The most likely scenario is that my mom may be attempting to use my netflix account from a different state and Netflix now doesn't allow sharing. I have removed netflix from all of her devices, but might have missed one.
That could be the case. You could ask her. I believe they have an “add on” which costs about $5 you can put her on
Last edited by muffins14 on Sun May 12, 2024 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WonderWander

Post by WonderWander »

I got a text like this when a family member tried to log in to use Netflix from a different location.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

WonderWander wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 12:34 pm I got a text like this when a family member tried to log in to use Netflix from a different location.
This.

It didn't take me too long to learn just to forward the code to him.
Topic Author
gavinsiu

Post by gavinsiu »

muffins14 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 12:32 pm That could be the case. You could ask her. I believe they have an “add on” which costs about $3-$5 you can put her on
Ok, it is the netflix sharing. I decided not to add her since she barely uses it and just told her that netflix no longer allow that type of sharing. I rather not add her since it becomes yet another tech support item and she already has a decent cable package from Comcast.
mpnret

Post by mpnret »

Wouldn't she still be eligible if you just logged on as her at least once every 30 days from your location.
safari

Post by safari »

mpnret wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 1:19 pm Wouldn't she still be eligible if you just logged on as her at least once every 30 days from your location.
There is only one account (his), so this doesn't make sense. What do you mean, "log in as her?"
mpnret

Post by mpnret »

safari wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 10:10 pm
mpnret wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 1:19 pm Wouldn't she still be eligible if you just logged on as her at least once every 30 days from your location.
There is only one account (his), so this doesn't make sense. What do you mean, "log in as her?"
One account can have multiple users. The rules are if someone in the household will be using the account outside the main location they will be locked out unless they logon at the main location every 30 days.
safari

Post by safari »

mpnret wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 11:45 pm
One account can have multiple users. The rules are if someone in the household will be using the account outside the main location they will be locked out unless they logon at the main location every 30 days.
I am still confused. If multiple users share the same login credentials, how does Netflix know who is actually logging in? Can you walk me through this step by step?
mpnret

Post by mpnret »

safari wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:36 am
I am still confused. If multiple users share the same login credentials, how does Netflix know who is actually logging in? Can you walk me through this step by step?
I assume Netflix gets this info from the user profile selected. I was never sure of this but being it's working for me I never had the need dig deeper. Logging on at the main location at least once every 30 days keeps the remote location alive. I am at the main location at least once a week so it's easy to logon under my user profile and play a short clip of anything to keep the remote location alive. This info is buried somewhere in the Netflix documentation.
TNWoods

Post by TNWoods »

The way I understand it is that the actual device must log in at the "home" location, not just the user account. Netflix checks the wifi's IP address, or MAC, or something to verify that the iPad, (or whatever), is physically in the "home" location at least once a month.

TNWoods
TNWoods

Post by TNWoods »

mpnret wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 7:49 am
I assume Netflix gets this info from the user profile selected. I was never sure of this but being it's working for me I never had the need dig deeper. Logging on at the main location at least once every 30 days keeps the remote location alive. I am at the main location at least once a week so it's easy to logon under my user profile and play a short clip of anything to keep the remote location alive. This info is buried somewhere in the Netflix documentation.
Are you saying that you log in at the "home" location using someone else's profile, but their hardware, (iPad or whatever), never logs in at your home location?

If so, that is a pretty easy workaround to their restriction!

TNWoods
muffins14

Post by muffins14 »

TNWoods wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:12 am
mpnret wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 7:49 am
Are you saying that you log in at the "home" location using someone else's profile, but their hardware, (iPad or whatever), never logs in at your home location?

If so, that is a pretty easy workaround to their restriction!

TNWoods
No, that does not seem sufficient based on this help page:

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/124925

The profile is just like a name with a set of recommendations. The devices themselves are the thing that matters. For example I can’t share my account with someone in Australia, Japan, France, and Brazil just because I log into a different profile at my house in America. I am still in America. The general idea is that it is intended to be one account per home/family-unit etc, and the account owner and their family are entitled to access it when they travel, but long-term, sustained usage by a friend for example in Australia or Chicago when you live in Texas, is not the intention. Or a parent in another home or town etc. this is the “extra member” use case.

For mpnret, it sounds like it is working because they are traveling to the other location with a device from the main location (like a phone, tablet, laptop). So they, the account owner, are taking a device from the account owners home with them while traveling, and Netflix estimates that they are traveling. The mother, who is in another location, is using a device that is not from mpnrets’s home, so Netflix does not think she is mpnret, and is asking for a 2-factor code to confirm identity.

Its like when you travel and log into your bank or your email from a new computer, the company asks for 2-factor to check identity. If my friend (or a hacker) in Australia tried to log in, they will not be able to because I will get a 2-factor request and deny it. If I travel to Australia and use my hotel TV, I will pass the 2-factor of necessary, because it is me. If I bring my iPad from my house in America, maybe I won’t get a 2-factor, because it knows it’s me and my recognized device. This seems to be kind of how my fidelity account works too, and my Gmail.
Last edited by muffins14 on Tue May 14, 2024 10:26 am, edited 7 times in total.
popoki

Post by popoki »

Some of these suggestions sound like theft of services.
Gray doesn't matter.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

popoki wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:07 am Some of these suggestions sound like theft of services.
Possibly.

Let's say I have a house in AZ with devices but take a contracting job back east and use a device in an apartment I am renting. I would think we could use Netflix in both locations since it is the same couple but I can't give my login to my brother and his family to use. To me the former is fine but not the latter although some streaming services were saying it was fine to share until recently.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
Topic Author
gavinsiu

Post by gavinsiu »

I believe Netflix didn't used to care about account sharing, but recently has indicated that it is no longer ok. Fair enough. I did wonder how they will handle situation where you have a summer home and a winter home. My neighors for example disappears to Florida for the Winter.