What frugal thing did you do today?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
TravellingTechOnFire

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by TravellingTechOnFire »

1)Bought a Rotisserie chicken while at Costco. I always *felt* like this was a great value/frugal, and totally worth it for the convenience regardless, but today I put the meat on a scale when I removed it all. Without skin, ended up with 34 oz or 1lb 14 oz of good quality meat. This is $2.63/lb for fully cooked, well seasoned chicken. Someone less picky than me would likely easily get over 2 lbs especially if leaving the skin intact.

2) Got a great deal on rental cars for our upcoming trip to Germany. First car was $163 for 15 days(!!!), 2nd car $135 for ten days. Five adults with different return dates so two cars works better considering luggage and a van would have been very expensive. I'm surprised we got such a good rate; hoping we aren't blindsided by fees when we pick the cars up. I read through the fine print of the agreement as much as possible and all seems legit. AFIK, we have coverage with our primary vehicle insurance, and the credit card we used also offers secondary rental car damage waiver insurance. We get about $6 in cash back, and the $298 purchase will be covered in full with the $750 bonus we have on our card for previously meeting the spend bonus.

3) We currently only need 1 car, so just accepted an offer from Carvana for selling our 2nd car. Buh-bye depreciation and insurance. We will purchase an optimally frugal 2nd car when the time arrives someday, and will end up with a much cheaper TCO car. I'm seeing great deals on used PHEV's with the new point of sale tax credit and state rebates.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

TravellingTechOnFire wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 2:10 pm
2) Got a great deal on rental cars for our upcoming trip to Germany. First car was $163 for 15 days(!!!), 2nd car $135 for ten days. Five adults with different return dates so two cars works better considering luggage and a van would have been very expensive. I'm surprised we got such a good rate; hoping we aren't blindsided by fees when we pick the cars up. I read through the fine print of the agreement as much as possible and all seems legit. AFIK, we have coverage with our primary vehicle insurance, and the credit card we used also offers secondary rental car damage waiver insurance. We get about $6 in cash back, and the $298 purchase will be covered in full with the $750 bonus we have on our card for previously meeting the spend bonus.
If your coverage is typical, it most likely cover domestic rentals but does not cover you outside the USA, except maybe Canada. For collision coverage in Germany, I always use a credit card that includes PRIMARY collision coverage. So far as liability, while my auto coverage doesn't cover liability in Europe, my umbrella policy does.
Fireishere

Post by Fireishere »

I was supposed to buy weightlifting shoes to make my squat technique better. I have pretty bad mobility in my ankles. Then I remembered I have 10-15 years old Chuck Taylor’s somewhere in our storage.I found them and I started to stretch😄
Metsfan91

Post by Metsfan91 »

Me and the family had lunch at someone else’s house.
"Know what you own, and know why you own it." — Peter Lynch
soretired

Post by soretired »

Went to Lowe's and bought a pop up sprinkler and replaced it myself. Saved ~$30>$50.
TravellingTechOnFire

neilpilot wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 3:07 pm
If your coverage is typical, it most likely cover domestic rentals but does not cover you outside the USA, except maybe Canada. For collision coverage in Germany, I always use a credit card that includes PRIMARY collision coverage. So far as liability, while my auto coverage doesn't cover liability in Europe, my umbrella policy does.
Thanks, I'm contacting my agent tomorrow to find out for sure what our policy covers. Really trying to avoid the add on high mark up insurance fees with the car rental. We don't have an umbrella policy but I'll be looking into that as well.
cheesepep

Post by cheesepep »

Godot wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:55 pm
felizcortez wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:00 pm Downgraded an American express card today to avoid the $95 annual fee.
I ditched my United Airlines Explorer card instead of paying the yearly fee. The two annual "free" lounge passes were not worth it, since so many United lounges turn away OTP (One Time Pass) holders due to capacity issues.
I read this post and asked my wife whether or not to cancel my Marriott Bonvoy $95 annual fee card, which was just posted to my account. She gave me a vague answer so I just decided to keep it. It is, on an absolute basis, worth to keep for the annual free night, but it is the worse out of all of my hotel credit cards in terms of value.
TravellingTechOnFire

neilpilot wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 3:07 pm
After some more follow up, I've quoted you once again. Indeed, my auto insurance policy provides no coverage in Europe, so I only have coverage of the car itself via my credit card; it does not provide coverage for any people or objects inside or outside the vehicle. I'm reaching out to my agent about getting an umbrella policy, either permanently, or perhaps just for the duration of the trip. Insurance through the car rental agency is 2x the cost of the rental itself and not even sure how comprehensive the coverage is. Worst case scenario, a month of umbrella coverage may be cheaper, and the annual premium might not be *that* much more expensive than 15 days of coverage through the car rental.

Edit: liability insurance is a requirement to register a car in Europe. For car rental companies in Europe, liability insurance is included in the rental price of the vehicle, as far as I am able to tell. The additional insurance they try to get you to pay for is for damage to the rental vehicle itself, which is covered by CC. In fact, dealing the rental insurance with the company I used results in a hold on the credit card for potential damages to the car until the car is returned without damage, which seems to corroborate that the insurance is only comprehensive.
Last edited by TravellingTechOnFire on Mon May 13, 2024 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

TravellingTechOnFire wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 5:43 pm After some more follow up, I've quoted you once again. Indeed, my auto insurance policy provides no coverage in Europe, so I only have coverage of the car itself via my credit card; it does not provide coverage for any people or objects inside or outside the vehicle. I'm reaching out to my agent about getting an umbrella policy, either permanently, or perhaps just for the duration of the trip. Insurance through the car rental agency is 2x the cost of the rental itself and not even sure how comprehensive the coverage is. Worst case scenario, a month of umbrella coverage may be cheaper, and the annual premium might not be *that* much more expensive than 15 days of coverage through the car rental.
[emphasis added]

IF you plan to "cover this" with some higher limit umbrella policy, check carefully if that would cover what you need.
My understanding of umbrella insurance is that it ups the coverage that one already has.
I'm not sure if it adds new coverages, which would then need to start with the first dollar claim. Umbrella coverage is often relatively inexpensive because it only kicks in if the underlying policy has been maxed out.

But you may be able to get a special policy for this. You won't be the first person wanting this type of coverage.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
johnegonpdx

Post by johnegonpdx »

Leeks I grew and overwintered ending up being too fibrous to use in my usual recipes, so I made them into a soup, blending then straining out the fiber. The soup ended up being a nice side dish.

Speaking of home cooking, over the weekend there was a good deal on carne asada thin sliced beef. I bought a bunch, repackaged them into more manageable portions, then put it all into the freezer. For this cut, I marinade and grill to make bulgogi, teriyaki, or lemongrass beef, so we never notice any loss of taste or texture from freezing the raw beef.

One last tangent: we continue to cook more and take-out / eat-out less. as restaurant prices continue to increase while quality is flat to down and service is definitely down, this has been an easy shift in our spending.
PoorPlumber

Post by PoorPlumber »

Ate at home. :D
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

ResearchMed wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 6:04 pm
TravellingTechOnFire wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 5:43 pm After some more follow up, I've quoted you once again. Indeed, my auto insurance policy provides no coverage in Europe, so I only have coverage of the car itself via my credit card; it does not provide coverage for any people or objects inside or outside the vehicle. I'm reaching out to my agent about getting an umbrella policy, either permanently, or perhaps just for the duration of the trip. Insurance through the car rental agency is 2x the cost of the rental itself and not even sure how comprehensive the coverage is. Worst case scenario, a month of umbrella coverage may be cheaper, and the annual premium might not be *that* much more expensive than 15 days of coverage through the car rental.
[emphasis added]

IF you plan to "cover this" with some higher limit umbrella policy, check carefully if that would cover what you need.
My understanding of umbrella insurance is that it ups the coverage that one already has.
I'm not sure if it adds new coverages, which would then need to start with the first dollar claim. Umbrella coverage is often relatively inexpensive because it only kicks in if the underlying policy has been maxed out.

But you may be able to get a special policy for this. You won't be the first person wanting this type of coverage.

RM
Idea. Ask if your insurance company will sell you a "rider" to cover your foreign vehicle rental.

I suggest this because I was once required to drive a government vehicle for work. My POV (privately owned vehicle) insurance didn't cover driving a GOV (government owned vehicle). What to do? Called insurer (USAA) and asked. They sold me a GOV rider; recall it was $10/yr.

When I asked why rider was so cheap, they said (paraphrased), "Folks who own the rider are usually very careful drivers and are just 'planning for the worst'. But since they are careful drivers, they seldom caused accidents, so seldom needed the rider's protection, which is why it's so cheap."
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
JonFund

Post by JonFund »

I dropped XM/Sirrus radio subscription. I've had it since 2005, but there are plenty of free alternatives, plus I'm no longer driving a long commute anymore so no need for entertainment in the car.
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

JonFund wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 3:22 pm I dropped XM/Sirrus radio subscription. I've had it since 2005, but there are plenty of free alternatives, plus I'm no longer driving a long commute anymore so no need for entertainment in the car.
That was when I first went with XM with a portable receiver. Initially signed for a three year contract. Then I bought a $500 "lifetime" plan. I think that along the way they broke that contract?
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

JonFund wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 3:22 pm I dropped XM/Sirrus radio subscription. I've had it since 2005, but there are plenty of free alternatives, plus I'm no longer driving a long commute anymore so no need for entertainment in the car.
I keep XM in the one car we typically take when we travel. The only "free" alternatives I'm aware of aren't really free; they require a phone data plan that would cost me more than the ~$5/mo I now spend on XM.
Chv396

Post by Chv396 »

Donated a lot of old clothes to Goodwill and sold off old CD’s on eBay.
“Stay the Course” - My Portfolio (BND, VT, VXUS, VYM) Spouse’s Portfolio (VEA, VGSH, VOO, VOT)
Chv396

Post by Chv396 »

Went to Target today to shop for pet items, for our cats. Buy $40.00, receive a $10.00 gift card deal.
“Stay the Course” - My Portfolio (BND, VT, VXUS, VYM) Spouse’s Portfolio (VEA, VGSH, VOO, VOT)
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Upgraded my home's AC system from SEER 10 to SEER 17. Good enough for a utility company rebate and a tax credit, plus a credit card rebate.
Like good comrades to the utmost of their strength, we shall go on to the end. -- Winston Churchill
meebers

Post by meebers »

My natural gas water heater developed a massive water leak. [16 yrs old] Needed replacement, gas company offers a $100 credit if replaced with another natural gas water heater. My math, I should get 3 months of $0 billing.
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

Chv396 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 9:19 pm Donated a lot of old clothes to Goodwill and sold off old CD’s on eBay.
Did you sell the CDs individually or in lots? What was the price you received?
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

Metsfan91 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:06 pm Cut grass. Saved 25 bucks.
$25 is the cheapest price I've heard of for hired help cutting the grass. Local teens? (I always cut my grass, but because it's easy, good workout, and I'm specific about my lawn. landscapers mowers introduce weeds from others lawns and their blades are not sharp like mine)
Light weight baby!
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Since Ive been spending more lately, I’ve been asking myself, “do I REALLY need this right now?” when considering buying something. Generally, the answer is no, I don’t.
Paddygirl

Post by Paddygirl »

I am buying a used car. I really prefer leather seats vs. cloth so did not look at any cars with cloth seats. However, I found a great Toyota Camry with cloth seats and went on Amazon and found out they make faux leather covers that work perfectly for my year, make, model. So, I think I am going to buy them and save a lot of money!
Chv396

Post by Chv396 »

CD’s sold individually. I prefer not to group them together as likely, buyers would not want all of the titles in a group.

I was able to sell them for $6 to $20 (multi CD set was sold for $20.)

Retired a few months ago, clearing out stuff from our house as we will be moving over the summer . Have extra time on my hands after 30 years of working…

vnatale wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 8:40 pm
Chv396 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 9:19 pm Donated a lot of old clothes to Goodwill and sold off old CD’s on eBay.
TheRoundHeadedKid

Post by TheRoundHeadedKid »

I worked remotely from home today rather than commuting to work. I have that option on Fridays. Saved on commuting costs.
All 86 Vanguard ETFs equally invested.
rule of law guy

Post by rule of law guy »

frankly, I am tired of frugality.

dont get me wrong, I and the missus are frugal enough and live well below our means, but I am trying to become less frugal. we have worked our butts off for a combined 80 years and it is time to cash in a bit.

not easy to do
Never wrong, unless my wife tells me that I am.
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

YeahBuddy wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 6:24 am
$25 is the cheapest price I've heard of for hired help cutting the grass. Local teens? (I always cut my grass, but because it's easy, good workout, and I'm specific about my lawn. landscapers mowers introduce weeds from others lawns and their blades are not sharp like mine)
I assume that you must be sharpening your own blades?
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

Paddygirl wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 7:42 am I am buying a used car. I really prefer leather seats vs. cloth so did not look at any cars with cloth seats. However, I found a great Toyota Camry with cloth seats and went on Amazon and found out they make faux leather covers that work perfectly for my year, make, model. So, I think I am going to buy them and save a lot of money!
Gold star for that one!
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

Chv396 wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 10:24 am CD’s sold individually. I prefer not to group them together as likely, buyers would not want all of the titles in a group.

Retired a few months ago, clearing out stuff from our house as we will be moving over the summer . Have extra time on my hands after 30 years of working…

You got excellent prices for those CDs. When I was buying used ones I'd pay $1 for each.
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

rule of law guy wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 6:09 pm frankly, I am tired of frugality.

dont get me wrong, I and the missus are frugal enough and live well below our means, but I am trying to become less frugal. we have worked our butts off for a combined 80 years and it is time to cash in a bit.

not easy to do
Sure is not!

Many of us are genetically programmed to not over pay, get excellent value, not want to waste .....
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

vnatale wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 7:20 pm

Yes. It's really easy to do. I usually have 1 or 2 backup blades already sharpened. Change about 3x per mowing season (April - Oct here). Even new blades are not sharp. Best!
Light weight baby!
Dave5280

Post by Dave5280 »

Got a double cheeseburger for free from McDonald’s app. Every time the local baseball team hits a double they give a free double cheeseburger on the app.
Chv396

Post by Chv396 »

I placed a “reserve price” on them. Also, some CD’s never hit the reserve prices.

vnatale wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 7:22 pm
Chv396 wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 10:24 am CD’s sold individually. I prefer not to group them together as likely, buyers would not want all of the titles in a group.

You got excellent prices for those CDs. When I was buying used ones I'd pay $1 for each.
jaqenhghar

Post by jaqenhghar »

A thrift store had its grand opening sale today.

SO found a $15 suitcase which runs for $500 but has a broken handle. After doing some research, he found the company that made the suitcase has a lifetime warranty. Bought the suitcase and will send it back to the manufacturer to fix, and if they can't, they'll send back a new suitcase.
EricGold

Post by EricGold »

My wife's 2 year old car's windshield wipers stopped squirting water. The repair was covered under warranty but I took the time to find out what the problem was, and how it was fixed. If it happens again, I'll have a better chance of being able to repair it myself.

Labor tends to be a lot more expense than the marginal savings from shopping, and it suits my nature to be independent and DIY. So I shop for 90% of item savings and spend the time saved not trying to find the savings remainder in self-education so I can save on labor. Particularly for homeowners, learning to repair and maintain is quite valuable
Last edited by EricGold on Sun May 19, 2024 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TravellingTechOnFire

jaqenhghar wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 4:00 pm A thrift store had its grand opening sale today.

SO found a $15 suitcase which runs for $500 but has a broken handle. After doing some research, he found the company that made the suitcase has a lifetime warranty. Bought the suitcase and will send it back to the manufacturer to fix, and if they can't, they'll send back a new suitcase.
Nicely done! Not only frugal for you, but great for the planet since you didn't by "new" stuff.
cs412a

Post by cs412a »

rule of law guy wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 6:09 pmfrankly, I am tired of frugality.

not easy to do
I don't approach spending from the standpoint of frugality, but more from a minimalist approach. For instance, instead of buying a new robovac, I went online and purchased a replacement bin (along with some filters - hopefully this will motivate me to change them more often :happy ). $35 rather than $300 dollars, so it would count as frugal. Perhaps I'm deluding myself, but I see repairing rather than replacing when possible, like buying clothing at thrift stores, as better for the planet.
rule of law guy

Post by rule of law guy »

cs412a wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 9:54 am
rule of law guy wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 6:09 pmfrankly, I am tired of frugality.

not easy to do
I don't approach spending from the standpoint of frugality, but more from a minimalist approach. For instance, instead of buying a new robovac, I went online and purchased a replacement bin (along with some filters - hopefully this will motivate me to change them more often :happy ). $35 rather than $300 dollars, so it would count as frugal. Perhaps I'm deluding myself, but I see repairing rather than replacing when possible, like buying clothing at thrift stores, as better for the planet.
I buy mostly new clothing (exceptions are old Harris Tweed jackets from ebay which are uniformly better than new ones) but almost always on sale, so I am still frugal. I am trying to stop this only on sale buying as it tends to lead to buying clothing that I might not really need (but it was on sale!), so perversely perhaps frugal on sale buying leads to overbuying and lack of frugality.

if you buy clothing at a thrift shop you are most definitely frugal.
Never wrong, unless my wife tells me that I am.
TravellingTechOnFire

Drove my EV to my work parking garage that I don't normally use since I walk to work, and am currently charging up about 60kW of capacity for free to 100%. Sure, this is only about $18-$20, but it was only a 9 minute drive(<2 miles), and I jogged home about a mile. I'll take nice little 1 mile walk back to pick it up. Some bonus physical activity.

I could have driven it tomorrow for my normal work day, but we have an 8 hour drive after work tomorrow and didn't want to risk no charging spots being available on a busier work day.
Metsfan91

Post by Metsfan91 »

Yep. I do this before the first cut in the spring.
WoostaGal

Post by WoostaGal »

Metsfan91 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 3:12 pm
How do you sharpen your blades?
Metsfan91

Post by Metsfan91 »

WoostaGal wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 3:27 pm
I use this blade sharpening kit on a drill machine to sharpen the blade. In the past I simply flipped the mower and sharpened the blade in place. This year I removed the blade from the mower and then sharpened it. After removing the blade I realized that removal wasn't necessary. I will sharpen in place in future.
FeralCat

Post by FeralCat »

WoostaGal wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 3:27 pm
[/quote

My local hardware store takes lawn mowers on Tuesday evenings in the summer and sends them out for sharpening and other maintenance. It's not expensive, and they easily collect 100 or so mowers on a Tuesday night. The parking low is full of people dropping off their mowers. If you don't want to sharpen your own blades, you might want to ask around your local businesses for a service like this.
doobiedoo

Post by doobiedoo »

My daughter was home this weekend for a funeral service.
She was only here for 40 hours [and she slept for 16 of those hours],
but she managed to fix my garage door remote, my PC monitor, and my robot vacuum cleaner.
[She is an engineer and spent 2 years working in IT.]

So I wasn't frugal, but she sure was. I think a new Roomba was $450 at Costco.
WoostaGal

Post by WoostaGal »

Metsfan91 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 9:26 pm I use this blade sharpening kit on a drill machine to sharpen the blade. In the past I simply flipped the mower and sharpened the blade in place. This year I removed the blade from the mower and then sharpened it. After removing the blade I realized that removal wasn't necessary. I will sharpen in place in future.
Thank you, Metsfan91. I knew nothing about this product. And thanks for the tip on sharpening in place.
Chv396

Post by Chv396 »

Did our grocery shopping at the local Safeway store today. They had several 50% off prepared meals that were close to the “sell by date”, picked them up lunch and dinner today.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Chv396 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 3:53 pm Did our grocery shopping at the local Safeway store today. They had several 50% off prepared meals that were close to the “sell by date”, picked them up lunch and dinner today.
I've been doing something similar with a local market near me. They make their own sausage in a great variety of flavors. Sometimes the sausages are not the right size, too big or too small, so they bundle 3 to 5 of them and sell them at a steep discount. I'm single so the varying portion size is not an issue. It's been a good way to try new flavors and save some cash.
Like good comrades to the utmost of their strength, we shall go on to the end. -- Winston Churchill
Jeepergeo

Post by Jeepergeo »

WoostaGal wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 6:48 am
Metsfan91 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 9:26 pm I use this blade sharpening kit on a drill machine to sharpen the blade. In the past I simply flipped the mower and sharpened the blade in place. This year I removed the blade from the mower and then sharpened it. After removing the blade I realized that removal wasn't necessary. I will sharpen in place in future.
Thank you, Metsfan91. I knew nothing about this product. And thanks for the tip on sharpening in place.
Unhook the spark plug before working on the blade. Some units could start when the blade is manipulated. I used to remove my blade and use a flat file to sharpen it. I'd also rebalance the blade if needed, but that was rare.
doobiedoo

Post by doobiedoo »

Jeepergeo wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 6:49 pm
WoostaGal wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 6:48 am
Unhook the spark plug before working on the blade. Some units could start when the blade is manipulated. I used to remove my blade and use a flat file to sharpen it. I'd also rebalance the blade if needed, but that was rare.
When I mowed my parents' lawn [55 years ago], my dad showed me how to sharpen the blades with a flat file!
And yes, he told me to unhook the spark plug first.
A couple of times I forgot to reconnect the spark plug and wondered why the lawn mower wouldn't start!

Thx for a trip down memory lane!
TheRoundHeadedKid

Post by TheRoundHeadedKid »

tooluser wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 6:21 pm
Chv396 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 3:53 pm Did our grocery shopping at the local Safeway store today. They had several 50% off prepared meals that were close to the “sell by date”, picked them up lunch and dinner today.
I've been doing something similar with a local market near me. They make their own sausage in a great variety of flavors. Sometimes the sausages are not the right size, too big or too small, so they bundle 3 to 5 of them and sell them at a steep discount. I'm single so the varying portion size is not an issue. It's been a good way to try new flavors and save some cash.
Japanese supermarkets that make fresh sushi in the store will have mark downs like that on them around 7:30 pm. Don't want them to go overnight unsold. Convenience store sushi has lower standards. Buy them at your own risk.
All 86 Vanguard ETFs equally invested.